PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks - staking out a seat...

Amybirds
11-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Just how early do we need to stake out seats in the Hub for Friday night or Thursay night fireworks (next week - we'll be there the 17th & 18th)? Any chance of getting a bench? Is there a grassy space to sit on, or just pavement? Should we bring a blanket to sit on? Can we get food somewhere and then sit down and eat it while we wait? I read the viewing guide and did searches of prior posts, but can't really find the advice I'm looking for...

Any other ideas to get a maximum viewing experience (other than tours or vip tickets - we can't budget those...)? This will be the first time I've ever watched the fireworks at Disneyland (my semi-deprived childhood: we went to DL every few years, but only during the week during off-peak season and then left early, so we never watched any parades or fireworks!)and want to do it right!!

ferliemom
11-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi,

I was at the park on October 19th, a Friday. It was fairly crowded that day, but I've seen worse.
The fireworks start at 9:20. In June, the last time I was there, a friend and I staked out a prime spot at about 7:45. I mean this was right on the curb, directly in front of the castle.
This last time, there were people spreading out blankets by !5:30!!! We did the same. Yes, bring a blanket-- if you don't, people will squish you and invade your personal space, bigtime. If you want a fabulous seat, be prepared to stake out some real estate and take turns guarding it by 5:30 or 6. We made friends with the folks around us, and we all took turns doing a ride or two or grabbing dinner. It worked out great and was quite fun. :)

Enjoy yourself!

DaddyB
11-11-2005, 12:49 PM
very early. Yes, 5pm is not too early if you want primo location. 4pm or earlier if you want a park bench.

Blankets or large towels are a must, I agree.

Ask castmembers just to be sure that the rules haven't changed for that day about where the crowd control flow is going to be. You don't want castmembers behind you yelling "one way, do not stop! One way! Keep moving" through the whole show. You also don't want to be just behind that rope with a crowd flowing right in front of you the whole show either!

I've gotten very good seats right at the very front rope in front of the castle. Yes you're close, but NO ONE stands in front of you and the fireworks and sound are RIGHT THERE man.

Amybirds
11-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Wow. That's dedication -- show up at 4pm for 9:30pm fireworks! I'm pretty sure my hubby won't go for that! Any chance that the fireworks won't be as crowded on a Thursday night (they're at 7:45pm) and we can stake out some not super terrible seats if we show up at 6:00?

HydroGuy
11-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Wow. That's dedication -- show up at 4pm for 9:30pm fireworks! I'm pretty sure my hubby won't go for that! Any chance that the fireworks won't be as crowded on a Thursday night (they're at 7:45pm) and we can stake out some not super terrible seats if we show up at 6:00?Not many people have that much time to wait for a fireworks show that lasts 20 minutes. I am not sure what things will be like for you next week, but I have a hard time seeing it being significantly worse than our trip in early August. In the two weeks before our trip the fireworks were cancelled three times due to high winds (apparently it was not that windy on the ground). I was not about to risk 3+ hours for a show that might get cancelled. We wanted to see the fireworks from the hub, and were willing to risk an hour.

Another issue for us were our children, and their ability to see the fireworks and castle. My two youngest (9 and 10 years old) might have their view blocked when everyone stands up.

In any case, if the hub were a clock, and the castle is at 12:00, we got a spot in the hub on the curb near Coke Corner at about 7:30-8:00 between Main Street and the Adventureland entrance. From that spot we had a clear view of the castle, and the Matterhorn as well, which is of secondary importance compared to the castle but does play a role during the show. My 9 and 10-year-old were able to stand on the curb, and the 4-6 inch advantage made it possible for them to see the castle clearly.

We got to the spot at 8:25PM. The view from our spot was excellent. It is hard for me to imagine that being right in front of the castle would be significantly better, but others can comment with more authority.

I think you can do it with a one-hour wait, especially if you do not have children.

Amybirds
11-11-2005, 08:10 PM
I think you can do it with a one-hour wait, especially if you do not have children.

Woo Hoo! Now THAT is what I was hoping to hear! I think I'll take my chances and shoot for that kind of luck.

THANK YOU!!

Leap for Joy
11-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Woo Hoo! Now THAT is what I was hoping to hear! I think I'll take my chances and shoot for that kind of luck.

THANK YOU!!

Try for Thursday night. Friday is likely to be more crowded, so if it doesn't work out well on Thursday you'll have your answer.

annieb727
11-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Try for Thursday night. Friday is likely to be more crowded, so if it doesn't work out well on Thursday you'll have your answer.

that's a GREAT idea!