PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland 50th Anniversay Gold Christmas Tree Fun Facts

AVP
11-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Received from Disneyland:

DISNEYLAND 50th ANNIVERSARY GOLD CHRISTMAS TREE
FUN FACTS

The 2005 holiday season at the Disneyland Resort will be a whole lot brighter this year as the traditional Christmas tree in Town Square on Main Street, U.S.A. goes gold in honor of Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary celebration (continuing daily through 2006). Glittering in gilded splendor the traditional live tree has received the “Midas Touch” with a golden theme to commemorate Disneyland’s half-century milestone.

Here are the trunk-to-tip facts regarding this most unique Disneyland holiday icon:

· The Disneyland 50th Anniversary Gold Christmas Tree stands in Town Square on Main Street, U.S.A. in Disneyland from November 11, 2005 to January 2, 2006.

· The tree is 60 feet tall and decorated with 5,000 golden ornaments and 5,000 holiday lights.

· The lights decorating the tree are clear, white and amber accenting and highlighting the tree’s golden luminescence.

· The tree’s gold topper is a symbolic pair of golden Mickey Mouse ears with the numeral “50” in the center, and is accented with genuine, hand-applied 24-karat gold leafing.

· At the base of the tree are giant decorative gift boxes and colorful red poinsettias.

· The tree was harvested from the Mount Shasta region of Northern California, near the city of Redding.

· The tree is a White Fir, which is also known as a Shasta Fir.

· For its journey to the Disneyland Resort the tree was secured horizontally on a flatbed tractor-trailer and transported by a trucking company to southern California.

· The tree arrived at Disneyland on October 17 and soon began an extensive preparation and decorating process that took place in the Resort’s “backstage” area.

· More than 20 Disneyland Resort Cast Members were involved in the process of preparing, decorating and displaying the Disneyland 50th Anniversary Gold Christmas Tree.

· The entire process for this year’s tree, from selection to installation on Main Street, U.S.A., took 560 hours.

· The tree firmly rests in a planter in Town Square and is kept secure from any wind effects by four guy wires that are attached to the tree. Two guy wires are anchored to Main Street buildings and two are anchored into the ground.

· During the decorating process, the tree was placed in a five-foot-deep well containing 50 gallons of water. While in Town Square for its eight-week display, the tree sits in a similar well that is replenished with water every few days.

· The Disneyland tradition of a giant Christmas tree towering over Main Street, U.S.A. began in 1956. Disneyland is the last Disney park in the world to still utilize a real live tree as its holiday centerpiece in Town Square.

· Since its first holiday season in 1955 Disneyland has celebrated this special time of year with Yule time parades, an abundance of festive décor and special entertainment including the annual holiday parade, carolers, holiday foods, seasonal merchandise and the traditional Candlelight Ceremony and Processional.

Disney has three photos of the three being installed and from this morning - click on the links below:

One (http://albums.mouseplanet.com/AdrienneVincentPhoenix/2005DLTree1_Disney.sized.jpg)

Two (http://albums.mouseplanet.com/AdrienneVincentPhoenix/2005DLTree2_Disney.sized.jpg)

Three (http://albums.mouseplanet.com/AdrienneVincentPhoenix/2005DLTree3_Disney.sized.jpg)

Micmousetoo
11-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info and photo's AVP. We will be arriving in DL on
December 1st. We can hardly stand the wait!!

TowerofTerror
11-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Wow so awesome I cant wait to see the tree lite up starting this Friday. I hope to be going real soon to the park.

Vegitabeta
11-10-2005, 03:31 AM
I sooo wish I could be at Disneyland for Christmas! (Maybe Paris next year for Christmas!:)) The tree looks lovely though, does this tree have a forced perspective thing about it, or is that just the ones in WDW?

11-10-2005, 05:09 AM
Thanks, AVP.

What a gorgeous tree!

rentayenta
11-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Thanks AVP and in just under a month, I will be standing at that very tree! :D

I so need a Disneyland fix.

MermaidHair
11-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info! I was especially interested to find out that Disneyland is the only Disney park to have a live tree. I think that is very special.

annieb727
11-10-2005, 08:08 AM
thanks!! can't wait to see it in REAL life!! Woo-Hoo!!

audibleatom
11-10-2005, 08:31 AM
i cant wait to see it tomarrow!!

lisap
11-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Cool fun facts--I wonder how they watered it, or even if they watered it. I know they coat the whole thing with stuff to keep it from turning brown.

I'm going to keep an open mind on the new look until I see it Saturday. I love the traditional tree so much, but change can be good sometimes...I'm just so glad they didn't spray the whole tree gold.

Micki0624
11-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Cool fun facts--I wonder how they watered it, or even if they watered it. I know they coat the whole thing with stuff to keep it from turning brown.

I read in another post that they pack it full of preservetives.

pisces
11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Does anyone have any info on the DCA Christmas Tree?

I heard a rumor that it is last year's Main Park one.....which would be awesome!

I hope it is.

DCA always gets the orginal park's leftovers/hand-me-downs.

But, I love that tree from last year, so it would really bring a touch of class to DCA!

AaronInCal
11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
The DCA Christmas tree is an all-new one this year. It is artificial, but not quite as large as the one they had over in that park the first few Christmas' there, before they just did not have any tree the last 2 years. Would be interesting to know what they did with that one, or maybe some of it is used in the current tree. In any rate, the decorations are all new and same with the lights. They are using the miniature lights. Disneyland and the first DCA tree when they had it, had the large lights. The DCA tree looks really good and I don't really see how it is "non-traditional" like was stated in the AP newsletter. Maybe that part will be found out tomorrow once they turn the "attitude" on. :D

Disney Vault
11-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Very interesting. I always love the way they decorate the trees around the resort. And those are some very cool pictures you posted. This makes me even more excited about my trip in December!:D