PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Holiday Overlay Already On Next Year's Schedule?

Monte Cristo
11-09-2005, 04:15 PM
http://www.riderefurbs.com/

Interesting.

Does this mean we can dispense with all the "I heard this is the last year of the overlay" stuff we go through every year? ;)

ILovePoker
11-09-2005, 04:18 PM
I find it odd that the Haunted Mansion will be closed for so long. Last year it was open by late after the Holiday removal and now it won't open till March. Wierd.:geek:

coronado_g
11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Hard to imagine that anyone seriously considers the posssibility that Disneyland would give up the holiday overlays. Not only are the overlays fabulous, but they generate a lot of new excitement every year when people flock to see the extra little changes and tweaks that seem to pop up.

Monte Cristo
11-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Hard to imagine that anyone seriously considers the posssibility that Disneyland would give up the holiday overlays.

Oh, not only do many consider the possibility, they insist it's the case.

olegc
11-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Oh, not only do many consider the possibility, they insist it's the case.

well, it all comes down to Tim Burton saying yes or no. He still has total control over the characters from the film and can, if he wishes, pull the plug on the use of the characters...

adriennek
11-10-2005, 11:00 AM
But decisions are usually going to be made pretty far in advance because Disney has to put in their plans and orders for merchandise for next year while they're still working on (or at the very least cleaning up) this year's overlays.

Adrienne

Monte Cristo
11-10-2005, 11:44 AM
well, it all comes down to Tim Burton saying yes or no. He still has total control over the characters from the film and can, if he wishes, pull the plug on the use of the characters...

I've heard this before and it still makes no sense to me. NBC is a Disney film. They won it and every character in it. I don't think it's up to Burton. And quite frankly, if it is, it's clear he's been paid enough that he doesn't care anymore.

The overlay has been around for what - 6 years now? I'd say if Burton had any issues with it or was afraid of overexposure, he would have pulled the plug before they got to the Limited Edition Jack Skellington Cheese Graters.

samkj
11-10-2005, 12:16 PM
the Limited Edition Jack Skellington Cheese Graters.

Cheese graters?? ROTFL!!

Amy

JeffG
11-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Disney owns the film and characters. In fact, Burton had to make the film at Disney because he originally created the concept/characters back when he was employed by the company as an animator. Disney may consult with him on projects that use the characters as a courtesy, but I doubt very much that he has any kind of veto power over them.

-Jeff

AaronInCal
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I find it odd that the Haunted Mansion will be closed for so long. Last year it was open by late after the Holiday removal and now it won't open till March. Wierd.:geek:
They did this a couple years back for some extre rehab they needed to do to the Mansion. Usually, they only do minor stuff while installing and taking down the Holiday overlay. But every few years or so they need to do more and just will open it up later than usual.

charpaul
11-11-2005, 05:11 AM
What Disney DID NOT do this year was to have the Merchandise Event that usually kicked off the start of the Haunted Mansion Holiday run. That part of the tradition seems to have been canceled. Perhaps Tim Burton might have had some say in that??? They also did not make BIG changes in the overlay this year. Just small things. No Oogie Boogie Hunt - no finding Zero - no "new present opening" every week for the 13 week run.

I think that this overlay will continue, but I don't think it will go back to the Merchandise event OR trying to “rethink” the attraction every year. As long as it continues to be popular they will probably still do it.

cstephens
11-11-2005, 07:32 AM
What Disney DID NOT do this year was to have the Merchandise Event that usually kicked off the start of the Haunted Mansion Holiday run. That part of the tradition seems to have been canceled. Perhaps Tim Burton might have had some say in that???

Why on earth would Tim Burton care or have any say in whether or not Disneyland has the merchandise event?

It's been reported that there was no merchandise event this year because they've been so focussed and busy with the 50th celebration that they wouldn't have had any time to organize a merchandise event for HMH this year.

olegc
11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
OK - believe or not in some of the sources the internet bloggers have -but some have excellenet sources inside WDC. This story here (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1653) talks about some of the issues. Specifically..

"Well, the problem appears to lie in the deal that the Walt Disney Company cut with Tim Burton in order to get "The Nightmare Before Christmas" made back in the early 1990s. Evidently, Tim retained certain rights to the "Nightmare" characters. Which is why -- whenever Disney wants to do something that's "Nightmare Before Christmas" - related -- they have to first consult with Burton."

So, if correct, Burton HAS had rights to say what goes and what doesn't go on with those specific characters and NO Disney does not retain 100% of the rights of those characters simply because the movie has their label on it.

Disney Vault
11-11-2005, 10:36 AM
I just don't see it going away anytime soon. Even if Tim Burton does have the character right why would he not do this? It is free money and he doesn't have to do any work for it.

olegc
11-11-2005, 11:41 AM
I just don't see it going away anytime soon. Even if Tim Burton does have the character right why would he not do this? It is free money and he doesn't have to do any work for it.

I agree in principle - but Burton has never struck me as someone who looks at $$ first. but that's an opinion.

Bottom line is that WDC is trying to keep the overlay here - and trying to get it placed in other locations (Tokyo has it now) - and they will keep negotiating to have it around for a long time.

cstephens
11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
OK - believe or not in some of the sources the internet bloggers have -but some have excellenet sources inside WDC.

I am just going to say that there are some people who write on internet sites that I believe more than other people who write on internet sites.

AVP
11-11-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't know the true nature or terms of the contract between Disney and Burton. And even if I were to have the contracts in front of me, I don't know that I would understand them.

That said, I have been told by by people working in an official capactity for the Disneyland Resort, AND by manufacturers who have licensing agreements for Nightmare product, that certain things have to be approved by Burton before they can be approved by Disney.

These people may be lying to me, or they may misunderstand why certain things have to be done in certain ways, but there seems to be something to all this. And it sounds awfully similar to the situation with Mary Poppins.

AVP

Jeremiah
11-11-2005, 06:10 PM
You also have to take into consideration the source of this.....considering the fact that no official schedule is out for Feb. this should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe a bucket of salt...it looks like that site has gone off of past refurbs for the major attractions that go down annually and then some of the rumors.

As far as the "this is the last year" that comes as news to most people in the entertainment dept. (they are the ones that put it on each year). Because they have not heard anything about this.

J

Monte Cristo
11-12-2005, 09:46 AM
You also have to take into consideration the source of this.....considering the fact that no official schedule is out for Feb. this should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe a bucket of salt...it looks like that site has gone off of past refurbs for the major attractions that go down annually and then some of the rumors.

Actually, I've found that site to be fairly reliable. It was virtually the only site that didn't have Pirates closing this fall, unlike everyone else who assumed it was a lock.