PDA

View Full Version : DCA: Do you like it or not? Why?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SandraVB79
11-09-2005, 12:24 AM
I went today to MiceAge to read the article about the new POTC-plot, and I kept on reading, and there was also an article about DCA and what they are going to do with it.

So I wondered, why do people not like it? What would they like to see instead? And please, don't say you want a Spalsh Mountian or a Space Mountain, those are already at DL. Also, when you propose new ideas, keep in mind the park is already there, and tearing it completely down and rebuilding it is NOT an option!

Last time I was there I rather liked the park. OK, I admit, it is NOT DL, but at least the lines are nice and short! ;) The first time I went there, in 2002, I also liked it, although the lines were a little less short at that moment.

I like most attractions in the park, but I have to admit I didn't go to It's Tough To Be a Bug-land. I absolutely hate Mulholland Madness, but that's just because I am scared on that one, haha!
What I really don't like are the parades. In 2002, they had the Eureka-parade, which wasn't bad, but it wasn't Disney at all. Now, they have that Block Party Bash-thing going on... I saw it once, don't feel the need to see it again.
Too bad they don't have the Electrical Parade anymore.

I really liked Tower of Terror. Apparantly, the WDW-version is better, but guess what? i don't care, because I went to DCA, and not to WDW, and I take the DCA-rides for what they are! I go on them, and I like them or not, it's as simple as that!
I just love GRR, Soarin' and Screamin'.
Oh, and I think the Aladdin-musical is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

I think somehow it's sad the monorail doesn't have a DCA-stop. Wouldn't it be cool to have a stop just after or before Golden Gate Bridge? It would also make my feet feel happier to not have to walk from one park to the other! (In 2002, I just kept on running from one park to the other to catch every show and parade!)
Next to that, you really have no transportation at all in the park, you have to walk everywhere. At DL, you take the train from one land to the other, or use the different vehicles on Main Street. Don't you think some form of a cable car, as can be found in San Francisco, would be nice???

Oh, and a little more shade would be nice too. I am from Belgium, I am used to cold and rainy weather, and I have difficulties surviving the heat in California, especially with no shade, and with just concrete that makes it even warmer!!! Paradise Pier is the worst for this (OK, Mickey's Toontown doesn't have any shade either!)
Disney-people, please, put more trees up there, or use another material that doesn't make it feel warmer than it is. And if trees don't match your "pier"-theming, use umbrella's!

I do have many more ideas, but before this post gets way too long, I will shut up :)

So, what do you like, what don't you like and what would you change?

geoffa
11-09-2005, 01:35 AM
I went today to MiceAge to read the article about the new POTC-plot, and I kept on reading, and there was also an article about DCA and what they are going to do with it.

So I wondered, why do people not like it? What would they like to see instead? And please, don't say you want a Spalsh Mountian or a Space Mountain, those are already at DL. Also, when you propose new ideas, keep in mind the park is already there, and tearing it completely down and rebuilding it is NOT an option!

Last time I was there I rather liked the park. OK, I admit, it is NOT DL, but at least the lines are nice and short! ;) The first time I went there, in 2002, I also liked it, although the lines were a little less short at that moment.

I like most attractions in the park, but I have to admit I didn't go to It's Tough To Be a Bug-land. I absolutely hate Mulholland Madness, but that's just because I am scared on that one, haha!
What I really don't like are the parades. In 2002, they had the Eureka-parade, which wasn't bad, but it wasn't Disney at all. Now, they have that Block Party Bash-thing going on... I saw it once, don't feel the need to see it again.
Too bad they don't have the Electrical Parade anymore.

I really liked Tower of Terror. Apparantly, the WDW-version is better, but guess what? i don't care, because I went to DCA, and not to WDW, and I take the DCA-rides for what they are! I go on them, and I like them or not, it's as simple as that!
I just love GRR, Soarin' and Screamin'.
Oh, and I think the Aladdin-musical is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

I think somehow it's sad the monorail doesn't have a DCA-stop. Wouldn't it be cool to have a stop just after or before Golden Gate Bridge? It would also make my feet feel happier to not have to walk from one park to the other! (In 2002, I just kept on running from one park to the other to catch every show and parade!)
Next to that, you really have no transportation at all in the park, you have to walk everywhere. At DL, you take the train from one land to the other, or use the different vehicles on Main Street. Don't you think some form of a cable car, as can be found in San Francisco, would be nice???

Oh, and a little more shade would be nice too. I am from Belgium, I am used to cold and rainy weather, and I have difficulties surviving the heat in California, especially with no shade, and with just concrete that makes it even warmer!!! Paradise Pier is the worst for this (OK, Mickey's Toontown doesn't have any shade either!)
Disney-people, please, put more trees up there, or use another material that doesn't make it feel warmer than it is. And if trees don't match your "pier"-theming, use umbrella's!

I do have many more ideas, but before this post gets way too long, I will shut up :)

This is hardly a new thread but here goes....

I quite like it (in parts) if only for Soarin' and TOT (although I prfer the architecture of the Florida version) and the amazing Aladdin show. Paradise Pier is quite atmospheric but isn't something that I couldn't find anywhere else. The Golden Dreams is weak. OK it sets out to tell the story of California but "American Adventure" it ain't. It's just a film and the Whoopi Goldberg techniques are real old hat! It could have been so much better. Grizzly rapid run is brilliant but can't help feeling Khali Rapids is faster and wetter. One thing I found REALLY bad is the Animation building. Just loads of videos and a really bad show with Mushu. The animation tour at the Florida Studios is way better. Get rid of that bakery and farm nonsense - I can see that anywhere in California. AS to what to add - well an earthquake based ride or show maybe,
a gold mine ride, a better version of Hollywood (all squashed into one street doesn't work)...I'm sure others have lots of ideas.:)

HydroGuy
11-09-2005, 06:03 AM
I agree with Geoffa that there have been many threads like this, but what is a forum like this for except for some fresh discussion? :p

I think whether you "like" DCA or not depends largely on your point of view. Many people view it is a separate park which competes with DL. To many of those folks, it is not as good as DL and so they criticize it.

Other folks, like me, have come to view DCA as an extension of DL. Sort of like "CaliforniaLand", if you will. As such, we do not compare it to DL. We just enjoy it as a place with other fun things to do.

Is everything in DCA just fantastic? No. And neither is everything at DL. IMO, ToonTown is sorely lacking. And TomorrowLand has gone downhill (but it is improving now).

DCA is now part of our DisneyLand experience. We are going on day trip in a couple weeks, and we bought park hoppers so we could hit a few of our favorites at DCA. We could not conceive of going to DisneyLand and not going to DCA.

So, do I like DCA? Yes. Do I like it as well as DL? No. Do I like it better than DL ToonTown? Yes, definitely.

kisroo
11-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Love it.

Sorry, DLF. I do...

Why? Because it's new and different and has fun things like TOT and Soarin'.
And, because it's a different feel. Different ambiance.

~kisroo:)

SandraVB79
11-09-2005, 07:10 AM
I agree with Geoffa that there have been many threads like this, but what is a forum like this for except for some fresh discussion? :p

I think whether you "like" DCA or not depends largely on your point of view. Many people view it is a separate park which competes with DL. To many of those folks, it is not as good as DL and so they criticize it.

Other folks, like me, have come to view DCA as an extension of DL. Sort of like "CaliforniaLand", if you will. As such, we do not compare it to DL. We just enjoy it as a place with other fun things to do.

Is everything in DCA just fantastic? No. And neither is everything at DL. IMO, ToonTown is sorely lacking. And TomorrowLand has gone downhill (but it is improving now).

DCA is now part of our DisneyLand experience. We are going on day trip in a couple weeks, and we bought park hoppers so we could hit a few of our favorites at DCA. We could not conceive of going to DisneyLand and not going to DCA.

So, do I like DCA? Yes. Do I like it as well as DL? No. Do I like it better than DL ToonTown? Yes, definitely.

I know this has bee the subject of many threads, but you never know we find THE fantastic idea here during a brainstorm that will change the park :)

And I admit, next to the fact that it has Mickey's and Minnie's house, Toontown is an extended version of a playground, where it gets incredibly hot, and where I ALWAYS get a sunburn! And I admit even more, during 4 days, I went couple of times on Space Mountain, and that's about what I saw from Tomorrowland... My mom didn't even see it, she waited for me at the hub :)

Next to that, you can't compare it to Disneyland. I have never been to WDW, but I guess there too you can't compare AK to MK to Epcot to MGM, since they are all different.

But people, come on, we are all Disney-fans, we all MUST have some fantasy! This is your opportunity to create ideas for crazy rides to spice up DCA!
I think the Earthquake idea is cool, since it is strongly connected to California.

And what about something with surfboards? That could literally be "cool"!

audibleatom
11-09-2005, 08:13 AM
im with HYDRO GUY

GrumpyUTboi
11-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Love it especially Mullholland Madness

Neon Cactus
11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I like it. I don't compare it to Disneyland either, but I like many of the rides. A friend of mine took his family to Disneyland for the first time, he hasn't been in about 20 years. He said they loved DCA.

Disneymomma
11-09-2005, 09:23 AM
I like it.
To me, its just like a Bonus Park! You go to Disneyland and get a bonus of going to CA too!

The reasons I love it"
TOT
Aladdin show--Broadway quality, free admission
Grizzly River Run
Soarin--the best
All the 3-D shows are awesome
Lots of fun, not as crowded as DL
Different characters
Animation building-cool
California Screamin!
The Ice Cream at that place by Soarin!
The Redwood Creek Challenge-my kids loved rock climbing and the flying tire
Good shopping
The Electric Parade

And much much more

Just a fun extension of DL with a bit of a different flavour! I am just thankful it is there.
I think it is awesome!
:)

yeartolate
11-09-2005, 09:34 AM
If DCA ever gets to be the "perfect" park, I will probably not want to go.:)

I hate crowds and I look foward to DCA to decompress. I like it just fine.:D

DianeM
11-09-2005, 09:41 AM
No trip to DR would be complete without TOT, GRR, Soarin, Muppets, or Bugs. I haven't really taken the time I should to explore DCA, but I like the music a lot, and love that the Electrical Parade is back. I like Screamin, but the rest of the rides on the pier are sort of mundane. I don't know how they could be perked up, but they are more like the state fair, and I don't particuarly like the rides at the state fair. I like the music, but then I'm sort of stuck in the 60's. They could play more songs, actually. They seem to do the same ones over and over.

If I were Disney, what I'd do in put in regular festivals. I visited Epcot a few years back, and they had a wine and cheese thing going on. There were street entertainers, and kiosks with various foreign foods and wines. California is so diverse, there would be plenty of opportunity to showcase our diversity and people could have a really wonderful experience. I envision people visiting DL and then going off to DCA for a light dinner and entertainment in the evening.

And don't forget the magic... DL could introduce some of that with lights. In the pavement, they way they are at Epcott. Twinkling. And a regularly scheduled light show in the California fountain. It does some pretty impressive effects already, but a light and water show would really be nice. Maybe a few small ground fireworks. Make DCA a place of light and beauty.

Mac_gurl
11-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I enjoyed some of the rides in DCA, such as TOT, And GRR. I did not care for Soarin', just not too exciting for me. I found the rides more geared towards the older crowd, yet the same kind of rides you'd find elsewhere (ex. Mailboomer, and the coaster)

I found that DCA is just too spread out. In Disneyland there seems to be something to do at every corner, whereas DCA you have to walk quite a distance to the different attractions.

I did enjoy the Animation academy, and think DCA needs more stuff like that. I don't think they have a ton of attrations. I felt like there were more concessions and shops than attractions. Just my 2 cents.

stan4d_steph
11-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Burrrbank has the best ice cream sundaes in the resort.

Old Mickey Fan
11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
As

This is my first post so I hope you all go easy on me. I have been a guest at Disneyland for over 40 years. I have seen it grow almost from the beginning. So I am pretty opinionated about the whole DISNEY thing! That doesn't make me right or wrong, just maybe qualified a little. :p I remember Walt Disney's perfectionism and things just aren't like that anymore. That bothers me sometimes.

I just feel that a Disney park, with such great potential, fell short of the standards we've all seen since 1955. Call me a knit-picker, but I don't think Walt would have let some of these things go:

1. Why couldn't they at least build the Golden Gate Bridge to scale (a much smaller one, of course)? It doesn't even look like the real thing. The towers are too close together and it's not the right color even...could've been any bridge IMO.

2. What is up with the tacky backdrops in front. You can even see the braces in back when you're on the Monorail. Looks like a financial short-cut to me. Surely, guests aren't supposed to see what holds things up, makes things work, etc. That's the whole idea isn't it? Imagination?

3. And what about that phony backdrop at the end of Hollywood Blvd. Ever try to take a picture before walking into this area? It looks stupid!

4. How come they don't serve crab cocktails, french bread, clam chowder, etc. at the Wharf area instead of hotdogs and burgers? DCA missed the boat here.

5. Granted, I live in California, but why would I go to an amusement park to wine taste? I don't get this one at all. Especially when California visitors can
wine taste for free while here. California Adventure is in California, right? Even if one can't get to Napa, there are winemakers EVERYWHERE here.

These are a few things that I was surprised to see. I got these opinions looking through my camera the first year it opened. I also copped a resentment because there weren't hopper passes then. That first day cost me a whole day at Disneyland so I was not amused! :~D There ARE things I love in DCA, but after a couple of hours, I'm done there. Glad I can go back and forth now that's for sure! Especially since there is no shade in DCA.

Thanks for letting me share....and remember - it's just one opinion! :D

Oh yeah - and I saw the little thread on Haunted Mansion/Small World during the holidays. I have strong opinions on that as well. Please don't hate me because I'm going there next! Tee Hee!

Skunker
11-09-2005, 01:03 PM
My son's favorite ride in ALL of DLR was Grizzly River Run. I loved Soarin' and TOT as well. It is a very nice park, IMHO and a nice change from DL - not that there is anything wrong with DL mind you!

PirateSmile
11-09-2005, 02:36 PM
I love DCA. It isn't Disneyland, nothing can ever be Disneyland. But DCA is just like a glorified/disneyfied state carnival to me.

Pat-n-Eil
11-09-2005, 02:42 PM
I like it.. wouldn't dream of going to DLR and not including visits to DCA.

Why? Because it is fun. It has some great rides & attractions. I like their restuarants better - and their beverage choices. I like it's proximity to the Grand Californian (and vice versa). I like the less crowded more open space feeling. I like to sit in the area past the nature trail and take in the trees and watch the GRR water wheel. I love Aladdin. I think the animation building is entertaining. I really enjoy Tower of Terror and Soarin'. California Screamin' is my favorite roller coaster - ever. I like that I can just walk to Disneyland from there. I like that I can get away from Disneyland to there. That's why.

AlohaJulie
11-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I liked DCA much better when the DUH show was still there.

I'm not much of a fan of the rides at DCA, but interactive shows like DUH and Animation Academy make it worth heading across the esplanade for. And the occassional stop at the Trattoria.

To me, Disneyland is tops when it comes to rides.

Donald Duck Fan68
11-09-2005, 04:10 PM
I really like DCA. But, I went there before I started frequently visiting Disney Message Boards, and didn't really notice any of the details that a lot of folks had a problem with. Looking back, I notice some of its shortcomings, but life is too short and I don't get to visit Disney Parks often enough to get bent out of shape over some of the complaints that exist. I loved TOT, the DUH show, California Screamin, GRR, and the different experience I felt in that park. I think GRR can be enhanced by adding some animatronic animals (especially Grizzly Bears!) along the way that tell a story.

I'd love to see a "ride" that immerses me in some of California's Natural Parks (like Yosemite, Death Valley, Lasen Volcanic Park). I'd like to see some recognition of indiginous people (Native Americans) and immersion into their culture and view of California. I'd like to see an immersion into California's influence on music, perhaps with an interactive music studio where guests can sing along to Disney owned music and then purchase this "single" on a CD. There's got to be some kind of historical story that guests can be immersed in an E-ticket ride, maybe a gold-rush story (runnaway mine car) or the like.

annieb727
11-09-2005, 05:27 PM
i like dca -- there are some really fun aspects to it...

Tower of Terror
Soarin' Over California
California Screamin
Aladdin
Mullholland Madness

Not as magical as DL, but that's ok, we still have FUN!!

Vlyger
11-09-2005, 09:32 PM
DCA is not worth the same price of admission as Disneyland Park (speaking from a single day/single park perspective). I like to visit Disneyland Park for a single day once a year, although I didn't go in 2004 for personal issues.

Back in the Fall of 2003, the Disneyland Resort offered a "2fer for the price of one" deal. So, I went to Disneyland Park one day that Fall, and a month later went to DCA for free. Had it not been for this special offer, I would have avoided DCA.

I guess DCA is only beneficial to those with park-hopper tickets and annual passes. Otherwise, for people like myself, avoid it!!! It's not worth the price of a one-day admission.

If the regular one-day price for Disneyland Park is $56, then the regular one-day admission fee for DCA should be half of that. I wouldn't pay more than $28 for a single day only at DCA.

Just my thoughts.

TowerofTerror
11-09-2005, 10:40 PM
DCA is good park but it not worth the same price as Disneyland. I like DCAbut Disneyland is a much better park.

SandraVB79
11-09-2005, 11:53 PM
As the one who started this thread, I'm going to give my opinion to some of your opinions (I just love doing that!)

1. Golden Gate Bridge. Yes,it doesn't look like it, it could be any bridge, and it doesn't have the same color.
BUT... for people not living on the real Golden gate Bridge, or not seeing it very often, it is very clear which bridge is meant! They could repaint it in the exact color (although the one used now comes close...), and the backside from the bridge (as seen from both the monorail and inside DCA) could be better.

2. There is clam chowder served in bread bowls, and I think it's at the Wharf (for some reason, I can't figure out how all the park's "Lands" are called) I had clam chowder in a bread bowl there where the bakery is. (hmmm... clam chowder) (imagine that one said the way Homer Simpson says "hmmm, donuts....", LOL!)

3. What is DUH? Pfff, sometimes I have a hard time to figure out what is meant by all the abbreviations!

I agree with the festivals-proposition from someone. When I was at the park in July 2002, they had groups performing on that stage on the lake opposite to Screamin'. I liked that, and would have liked it even more had there been shade.
Next to that, it's sad the park closes so early, because the Trattoria would be a nice place to have dinner at.

Another Dimension
11-10-2005, 12:04 AM
DCA: Do you like it or not?

I love DCA.

Why?

I have a lot of fun there. :D

SandraVB79
11-10-2005, 01:24 AM
I have a lot of fun there. :D

Now, if that isn't a good reason....