PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes and eating at Disneyland questions

disneychelle
11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Hiya!
My mother just got diagnosed with diabetes and boy is she overwhelmed!! To top it off it has happened just before our trip for 8 days to Disneyland and now she has to measure food and watch what she eats. Boy is she frustrated
so I was wondering if anybody out there has diabetes and how do they handle it when they are at the park with the restaurants and such? Any ideas
or suggestion on how/what she should eat as we had all these great plans on the buffets, Blue Bayou and even Fantasmic! buffet too. Thanks for any help or suggestions as we leave in less than 19 days!

DianeM
11-08-2005, 01:03 PM
She really needs to talk to her doctor and arrange an appointment with a nutritionist to find out what she can and can't eat. I do know from experience with my father, who was diabetic, that you should take snacks so that she can eat frequently. He doctor will tell her what foods he wants her to snack on.

Getting diagnosed diabetic is overwhelming, but it isn't as major an event as it seems to be. My mother was diagnosed diabetic a few years back, and she hasn't changed her lifestyle that much - she just lost a few pounds and her body went back to being able to handle sugar. My aunt is in her late 80's and has been a diabetic for years. She is slowing down a bit now, but she travelled a lot until recently. There really aren't that many limitations on what diabetics can do... they just have to focus a bit more on healthy, low-sugar eating and getting enough exercise.

11-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Definitely talk this one over with her doctor and registered dietician. I'll give you my .02 but doublecheck it with the medical professionals.

My husband is a M.D. who works primarily with diabetics. He also recently developed Type II himself, despite doing everything "right".

Here's what I soaked up about food and diabetes from hanging around my husband, as it relates to your Disneyland question:

Buffets should be ideal for your mom. They have lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Choose plenty of those. A high-fiber diet is great.
Choose whole-grain breads over white.
Limit foods high in fat, sugar, and salt. Limit alcohol to one drink/day.

So if I were making plans to take my Type II diabetes husband to Disneyland, I'd do Storytellers' buffet, eat at Whitewater Snacks (good, fresh, reasonable food), eat at Blue Bayou but avoid the monte cristo sandwich like the deep-fried, refined-flour plague it is in favor of something much leaner. I would take him to Bengal BBQ for chicken or beef skewers. I'd get him diet sodas at Coke Corner.

So best of wishes, disneychelle.

Edited to add: Just talked to my husband about this. He says it's important to drink lots of water to prevent dehydration. Try for 8 oz. of water, diet soda, or unsweetened iced tea every hour. Have foods with 15 grams of carbohydrate handy - an apple juice box, 8 oz. of a sports drink, a regular pudding cup, 5 Saltines are examples.

MammaSilva
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Going anywhere as a diabetic is totally doable, it's one of the most "livable" health issues around if you pay attention (but I do MISS churros a LOT :crying: ) it's all about choices! And if she has fast acting insulin as well as her regular insulin taking the supplies in with her is absolutely no problem, they'll take one look at her kit and just wave you thru. Snacks for a diabetic are never questioned. Once she 'wraps her brain' around the whole 'choices' issue she'll do great, you can totally eat healthy at the park if you want to.

Gandalf
11-08-2005, 02:11 PM
We have a family member who has type II diabetes and she monitors herself while she is at the Park. On good days she says she loves walking, bad days her husband rents a chair and pushes her. Until we had gone to Disneyland with them, we never realized how little food choices there are offered (especially fast food and desserts) to someone who needs/wants to limit their sugar intake.

Your mom probably should be able to enjoy herself at most of the larger sit down restaurants. Maybe you could phone ahead and request a meal for her that is geared for diabetics. Most of Disney's restaurants are pretty helpful if given advance notice. Disneyland has a First Aid station that could also be a help to your mom if she needs a place to rest. Not sure if you're family is staying on site or not, but your hotel may also be able to help out with a wheelchair if your mom is a senior.

Maybe Disneyland could look into packaging some low carb meals geared to the new eating viewpoint (Atkins & like diets). Target and 7-Eleven have no-sugar frozen drinks and Regal Theaters offer sugar-free chocolate candies (green bag). We took our son's soccer team to Hometown Buffet and they have a no sugar soft serve now. I wonder if COKE has any frozen drink items that Disney could market.

davies901
11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I don't have diabetes, but Celiac's but I just got off the phone with the DL chef and they are very accomodating. You can get a "Atkins" style burger at most burger joints (wrapped in lettuce). They have nutrition information at most restaurants.

However, having said that the most important thing in diabetes is portion control and food choices. You can have bread and you can even have dessert, you just have to monitor the amount of carbs (and it is higher than the Atkins diet prescribes). My father is Type II diabetic and he just learns to share meals, not eat pasta for every meal, etc....

If you call the main Disney line, ask about diabetic eating in the park and they will help you out with that.

Anon e mouse
11-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Hey,

I am a Type 1 diabetic, and I spent literally all summer at Disneyland, so I developed a few tips and tricks of my own while I was there. Forgive my refering to things generally... I'm terrible with remembering the restaurant names.

First, stay away from all the tasty things... just kidding, just watch out for the churro stand. One place I liked to eat was in New Orleans to get the gumbo or clam chowder from one of the restaurants. Also, the hamburgers and such at the Alpine Haus themed restaurant are good, since they are pretty close to a balanced meal.

Tip 2: 2 words: DIET SODA!!

Finally, there is one key thing to remember. If you're walking, you're going to get a lot of exercise... in fact more than most people get in a solid week. For this reason, you will probably have to eat a little more than you normally would, since you're gonna be sending your blood sugar straight back down with all the walking.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

GrumpyUTboi
11-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Getting diagnosed diabetic is overwhelming, but it isn't as major an event as it seems to be.

I take excepetion to this in kind way. I am 36 years old with 4 young children and back in may I was diagnosed with diabetes and believe me it is a major event not only for myself but for my family. Fortunately my body is still producing quite a bit of insulin, but my cells do not have the proper receptors to bring the sugar in for energy. WIth the medication that I am on now my blood sugar is under control. Also with diabetes it is a progressive disease. It will progress and get worse, it may not happen to me 10 years from now, but it will.

I can only speak for myself but with going to DL I have printed up all the menus from the park. www.dlresortinfo.com/DisneylandMenus/dlmenus.html
Armed with this I have planned my meals in advance so that I am eating healthy but also making it so that I will enjoy all the benifts of DL. Werthers hard candy will be with me in all the lines so that if my blood sugar starts to bottom out while waiting in line I can bring it up. (I get REAL cranky when my blood sugar drops).

With all the walking that will be done I can afford a treat here or there, such as a few nibbles of the honey popcorn and a bite of the churros. But again that is me, I know my body and what I can and can't do. My family and I have spent hours planning this trip, I told the kids that we were doing all the planning for my diet, but really I just wanted to talk and get all excited about our trip.

She needs to talk to a nutritionalist. Insurance companies will pay for Diabetes Training, not for a nutritionalist. Have fun and be safe at the "Happiest Place on Earth"

PJTinkerbell
11-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Everyone is different. I echo the advice about knowing your body and how much you can eat, exercise, etc. My son is a Type I and has been for nearly three years. We went to DLR last year and found that his blood sugar would tend to be high because of all the treats. The walking didn't effect him as much. His doctor told him this would happen and I didn't believe him until we were there. It is hard to count carbs. We winged it. I brought my measuring cups and all and it was hard to do that. I had him test often and we had his insulin with us in the park. We dropped it off at First Aid in the morning, retreived it in the afternoon and then carried it with us in a cool pack (with one of those cool packs that you shake and it stays cold for a couple hours) in the evening. We were only there for 5 days and I knew that it was better for him to be a little high than low. Not only that, but we only go to DLR every year 1/2 to 2 years and I let him indulge a little.

If you are on insulin, it is definately worth visiting with a nutritionist and a diabetes educator. It takes some practice, but it pays off.

My mom was diagnosed with Type II shortly after and I have been able to help her a lot.

Buy a pocket carb book,..it really helps. We used one for a while and now I know without looking what equals what.

Hope this helps a little.

:)

DianeM
11-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Very good points, but please don't assume the worst. My aunt is in her late 80's, and has been a diabetic for as long as I can remember. She is diet and medicine controlled. It didn't seem to get worse for her, or interfere with her quality of life. A lot of the effects of diabetes can be mitigated by eating right and losing weight (in the case of type II, at least, not so much type I). I guess I take diabetes in stride becasue everybody who is older than me in my family has, or had, diabetes. Father, Mother, Aunt, Grandmother. They all lived/live full lives. My father was the most serious case. He was insulin dependent and had to monitor his blood sugar constantly, but he still travelled all over the world. My mother just had to lose some weight. I firmly believe that diabetes, for most people, is a manageable disorder that will not stop them from leading rich, full lives. It can get worse, if the person doesn't take steps to prevent it, or it can get better. It sound as if you are very aware of the risks and are working to help your body deal with diabetes. You may have more problems in 10 years - or you may not. Here's hoping you don't.

Oh - and please don't think I am suggesting that diabetes should be taken lightly. It is potentially a very serious disorder, if not treated. My only point is that it isn't as overwhelming as many people feel it is. It is manageable.

Also with diabetes it is a progressive disease. It will progress and get worse, it may not happen to me 10 years from now, but it will.

11-09-2005, 10:53 AM
A guest editorial from Mr. 3894. Hope it helps with the walking question:

Some general observations about diabetes and vacations.

Watch for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). This can happen if you do not eat enough food , your meal is delayed, you drink alcohol but don't eat, and/or you walk much more than you're used to. All of this can happen at Disneyland.

Know the symptoms of hypoglycemia. Make sure your family knows the signs of hypoglycemia. Follow your doctor's instructions on what to do if your blood sugar tests less than 60 mg/dl (considered normal but normal isn't the same for everyone so check with your doctor).

With a little extra care, your vacation should be uneventful. Make sure you eat enough food for the meds you're taking, take your medications on time, and be prepared for possible hypoglycemia by carrying some form of carbohydrate (glucose tablets, gels, food or drink). Be aware that a candy bar or ice cream are not good choices to raise blood sugar in case of hypoglycemia because they contain fat which slows the release of sugar into your blood. Good choices are 8 Lifesavers, 4 teaspoons regular sugar, 10 oz. skim milk, 4 oz. fruit juice, 6 oz. regular pop. All of those should be readily available at Disneyland.

When you're back in your hotel room, remember that all that walking can have an effect even when it's over.

Record everything in your logbook. Talk to your doctor. And have a nice trip.

disneychelle
11-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Mom got diagnosed as Type II and is also battling with cholestrol as well. I want to thank everybody who has posted so far and to anyone else who will post after this, as we could use all the encouragement, ideas and pixie dust we can get.

SeansMom
11-09-2005, 04:34 PM
It helps to know what kind of diabetes your Mom has...thanks for posting that! Here are my suggestions, but if she hasn't already made an appointment with your local diabetic educator, encourage her to do so. Now, here's my disclaimer: Yes, I'm a nurse and Yes I have a deep interest and broad background in nutriton, but I'm not a certified nutritionist. I also have a caseload of 14 diabetics in my practice, so I'm fairly involved with the disease. But I'd highly recommend she address this with her diabetic educator or health care provider. These are general suggestions.
First, I'd agree with the poster that said to drink water. Very important, especially if it's hot, but also both for general health and due to the increased exercise she'll be getting.

Secondly, I'd like to stress portion sizes. There are many good comparisons for serving sizes, and you could probably google it and get something you can print out (ie: three ounces of meat is equal to the size of a deck of cards, etc.) The bigger your portion of food, the more insulin your body needs to bring your blood sugars under control. So having somethiing you can use as a tool to measure portion sizes is very important. Another idea would be to split a serving with her. Most restaurants serve very large portions, and the "clean your plate club" can get into trouble with diabetes/weight/ and other health issues if they eat lots of meals out.

Lastly, but maybe most importantly...time meals. She should try to eat within one hour after rising, preferably something that has protein, fiber, and carbs. in it. Then, every three hours during the day she should have either small a snack or portion controlled meal. This helps maintain an even blood sugar.

Of course, the most important thing is to have fun!

SeansMom
11-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Getting diagnosed diabetic is overwhelming, but it isn't as major an event as it seems to be. .

I have to totally disagre with that quote. I'm not trying to scare anyone, or start a big debate, but having diabetes IS a big issue. I'd encourage anyone who has a family history to really take a close look at their lifestyle and talk to their healthcare provider about prevention measures.

Here's a quote about heart disease and diabetes: "Heart disease is the leading cause of diabetes-related deaths because chronic high blood sugar is associated with narrowing of the arteries, increased blood levels of triglycerides, decreased levels of “good” HDL cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart attack. Adults with diabetes have cardiovascular death rates about 2 to 4 times higher than those of adults without diabetes."

There are prevention methods, and it isn't a death sentence, but it IS serious. Here's a more positive quote: At least 10 million Americans at high risk for type 2 diabetes can sharply lower their chances of getting the disease with diet and exercise, according to the findings of a major clinical trial announced by HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson today at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Participants randomly assigned to intensive lifestyle intervention reduced their risk of getting type 2 diabetes by 58 percent. On average, this group maintained their physical activity at 30 minutes per day, usually with walking or other moderate intensity exercise, and lost 5-7 percent of their body weight. Participants randomized to treatment with metformin reduced their risk of getting type 2 diabetes by 31 percent.

So go for a walk while eating an apple ;) .

DianeM
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
It's cool. I used to freak out at the prospect of getting diabetes, too. But after watching my family deal with it and learning about how to manage it (I am pre-diabetic myself), I'm not frightened of it anymore. I maintain that diabetes is a manageable disorder that does not have to severely impact a person's ability to live their life. Eating better, exercising, losing weight, and monitoring blood sugar can all be done at DL, or on a cruise, or in China, or in school. It's just one more challenge life throw's at people as they get older, and it can be managed with patience and knowledge. :-)

I have to totally disagre with that quote. I'm not trying to scare anyone, or start a big debate, but having diabetes IS a big issue. I'd encourage anyone who has a family history to really take a close look at their lifestyle and talk to their healthcare provider about prevention measures.

GrumpyUTboi
11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Diane,

It is good that you are aware of diabetes. I lost about 10 pounds right after I found out that I had the disease. I gained a few back only because I learned not to be so afraid of eating. Maybe I am going overboard now.

What I have learned is that each minute that I am alive I appreciate that minute. I take spending time with my family more serious now than I did 6 months ago. 6 months ago I was 36, had life by the horns and the world was my oyster, and many things that were important to me but not on the highest priority have now moved up and many things that I thought that were wildly important are not.

This trip to DL is going to be the funnest trip we take. I want to make memories that will last a lifetime, not only mine but for my children. DL is such a magical place and I hope that while we are there the magic will live on.

I bought the carb counter book "The Calorieking Pocket Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2006 Edition" at Barnes and Noble. This has helped me a lot since I eat out 10 times a week due to my job.

DianeM
11-09-2005, 08:24 PM
I think "going overboard" is normal when you're diagnosed with a potentially serious illness. The you learn to live with it, and learn what you can and can't do, and you move on with your life. Diabetes IS serious, if it's not treated, or if the person with it doesn't take care of themselves. I'm working on losing weight right now, because I just hit 40 and know that diabetes is around the corner. I probably can't prevent it, since it sort of runs in my family, but I hope I can control the severity. I'd rather be diet controlled, like my aunt and mother and grandmother, than insulin dependent, like my father. By losing weight and eating better, I plan on 1) putting off the diabetes as long as possible and 2) hopefully avoiding daily injections.

And to keep this on topic - it's not really hard to eat healthy in the parks. There are just so many different foods available, you can always find something you can eat. If you want low carb - try the teriyaki sticks in Adventureland. If you absolutely have to have a churro, split one with a loved one instead of eating the whole thing. I've honestly found that half or a third of a churro tastes just as good as a whole one. "Treats" can become a sharing experience, which makes them taste even better. I'm still partial to the gumbo bread bowls next to Blue Bayou, but I have to admit I don't eat much of the bread. Veges, meat, a very satisfying meal. You don't have to be afraid of eating. Eating is what keeps us alive - and you're going to need to eat a bit more to keep up with your family at DL. We just have to learn to do it appropriately. Although, I must admit, I sometimes miss being a kid who can pig out on anything whenever I want. But I've learned to really appreciate food, and that is a good thing. (37 lbs down, and counting) :-)

Diane,

It is good that you are aware of diabetes. I lost about 10 pounds right after I found out that I had the disease. I gained a few back only because I learned not to be so afraid of eating. Maybe I am going overboard now.