PDA

View Full Version : Locals at Disneyland

jrendon
03-14-2002, 09:59 AM
I'm a freelance reporter and I'm interested in finding LA adults (21+) who frequent Disneyland. I've got good friends who are addicted and I'm sure there are more. Why do you need more of the mouse?

Cadaverous Pallor
03-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Ooh, I want to help! :)

First of all, do your subjects have to be from LA? Most APers are from OC, like us, simply because Disney is such a part of us here.

Let's see if I can sum up why I love to go to Disneyland as often as I can:

It's otherworldly. It's clean, friendly. You can stroll down Main Street and take in the sights, either people watching or rereading the 2nd story windows one more time. Or you can go from ride to ride and sing along with the ride's music or look for hidden mickeys. In short, I go there to forget about the real world and relax.

Some days I walk, some days I sit and people watch, some days I see shows, some days I have a nice meal - there are so many ways to enjoy the Resort, and it fits many moods.

I think that's about it......I have to add that for me, it's not so much a fascination with all things Disney - it's more a fascination with theme parks. Disneyland is the best in atmosphere, and that's why I go there (plus, it's closer than my first love, Magic Mountain :p ).

Hope this helps - I'll answer any other specific questions too. :)

MonorailMan
03-14-2002, 01:23 PM
I'll help (Even Though I'm Not An Adult), but yes I'm over 21 months of age. :D

I go to disneyland to escape from my daily life, at DL there are no homework due dates, or having to cram for a test, to me Disneyland is like a whole other world.

Also the sights and sounds sometimes blow me away in DL, sometimes I want to hear everything, sometimes I just want to relax on the Monorail (How did you think I've rode it so many times?). It's all on my mood, and just like CP, DLR fits all moods, want a thrill? Head to DCA. See a show? Head to BLAST! or Billy Hill. Want to just relax? Get on the Mark Twain, or sit on a bench on TSI, It's all the mood. :)

tabacco
03-14-2002, 05:00 PM
I'm with MonorailMan here (20 years old, and a CM who visits the park on days off :))...

Disneyland is the ideal escape from the reality of school and work. It offers flexibility, too... you have a choice between just lounging about and relaxing, going on attractions, people-watching... It's great :)

BELLEH5
03-14-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm with those 2 guys. I'm 20! Anyways.... The reason I love to just drive to DL every weekend( which is 417miles away) is because of the magic. There's no worries inside the park. I leave everything behind me. I'm in-love with everyhting about the park. It was Walt Disney's pride & joy, even though I had nothing to do with this masterpiece I feel like it's my baby. I love to do all sorts of things there. Hunt for hidden mickeys, people watch, sit on a bench in any land, ride all of the attractions just to sing along or shop. I love the entire atmosphere of Disneyland. You can never be bored. Every time I'm there I find something new, which is why I go so many times. My first and only love is the magic of Disney, and in Disneyland that magic comes to life!!!!!

I truly belive this***Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." Walt Disney

bluepearl
03-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Oh my...I'll be 21 in a month, I'm a CM, and I go to Disneyland every week, sometimes more than twice a week! Good grief...:lol:

I like it because, with my AP, it gives me a place to go to when I'm bored. I don't have to pay each time to get in, so it makes my mind think that it's free. Like MonorailMan, I can feel like I'm leaving behind all the stresses of school and what not. I like the rides, I see the shows, and hey...it doesn't hurt that the Disneyland Resort apparently has a knack for hiring very attractive CMs! ;)

Lani
03-14-2002, 10:22 PM
jrendon -- looks like you've got some really enthusiastic young folks instead of the older crowder you were asking about! [Not sure if it's because of your specific focus of the article you are writing, or if it is for legal reasons.]

I don't really qualify as a local -- we live in Oakland. We do however, have premium APs. We visit to socialize, and to enjoy a fun, entertainment but nonthreatening environment where we can be young at heart. :)

socabch
03-15-2002, 07:27 AM
I'm well over 21 and still love Disneyland. It's a place to escape all of the stress or boredom of everyday life. When Sept 11th happened, I packed up my daughters and we went to DLR that weekend. Sometimes when we are there I just walk around and soak in the atmosphere while my kids go to the rides. I think people also have alot of good memories at DL so it's nice to go back and feel those good feelings again. As many times as I have been I always get excited about going.

Let me put it this way, my hubby & I had seriously considered moving to Hawaii after being there on vacation. As soon as I thought about not being able to go to DL as often as I like, the idea was dropped.

justagrrl
03-15-2002, 07:38 AM
We are 31 and 32 and go nearly every Friday night with our friends who are 31 and 30. We have kids - they don't. Sometimes we bring the kids but we prefer not to on Friday nights.

We go - we drink a bit at DCA - either in the beer garden area or in the Avalon Cove bar. Our friends, who usually arrive before us, hang out in ESPN Zone sometimes, until we get there.

It's a nice chance to soak up some great atmosphere and just sit back and shoot the uh..er..."poop". ;)

Sometimes we ride rides, sometimes we run out of time. (They close at 8 - and when you get off work at 5...and dont' get there until 6...there's not much time.) We try to ride the roller coaster and/or boomer - but don't always get to...and it's not a big deal either way. We usually don't head over to Disneyland afterward due to the after DCA crowd rush to get there - but sometimes we do.

I wish DCA stayed open later on Friday nights...although after next week our AP's aren't good on fridays until September so we'll be out of luck. Too bad. All we go do is spend money during this time - rarely ride rides (are you listening Disney? - give me Friday nights) :)

IndianaJenn
03-15-2002, 02:23 PM
I wanna help too!

I am in the 30 range. I could go to Disneyland every day and never get tired of it. Here's why!

I can be having the worst day, but once I'm through the turnstiles, all of the bad disappears. It really is the Happiest Place on Earth! It is impossible for me to be in a bad mood at DL.

Besides, where else can I wear my pink Disneyland Princess jacket and not be laughed at?

TerryTiger
03-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
We are 31 and 32 and go nearly every Friday night with our I wish DCA stayed open later on Friday nights...although after next week our AP's aren't good on fridays until September so we'll be out of luck. Too bad. All we go do is spend money during this time - rarely ride rides (are you listening Disney? - give me Friday nights) :)

Pay $50 to Upgrade your pass to a Deluxe AP. If you go nearly every Friday night, that's less than $2/week for the half-year of blocked out dates. And of course, they will stay open later in the summer and you won't suffer from Disneyland withdrawal during the summer blockout.

FEJ
03-15-2002, 07:54 PM
I fit that profile. there is a group of us who meet every Sunday at the River Bell Terrace insid the park for breakfast then geek around the parks for a while.
I like it for many reasons: Excitement of the rides, escape from the rat race, get to be a kid again, and many other reasons.

You should join our brunch or meet us at the Hub some sunday.

MP brunch/Breakfast Club Thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4460)

jrendon
03-15-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the overwhelming response. This is a great board. Everyone has very compelling insights. I'd like to talk with a few of you if I can to learn a bit more about your connection to Disneyland and why you go.

If you're open to talking, please drop me an email at ajrendon@hotmail.com and I'll try to work out a convenient time to get in touch. I'll be out of town and in and out of email contact for the next week, so it may take me a few days to get back to you.

Thanks.

Jim.