PDA

View Full Version : Extended/ long trip report

SandraVB79
11-05-2005, 12:39 AM
* This is the report I sent to some newsgroups I belong to on Yahoo; Please excuse the type-rrors, and the fact that it is long *

Hi everyone,

On wednesday, I got back home from my USA-vacation, and 4 days at Disneyland in California.

No, I can't provide you with detailed information about at what time I did which attraction, and how long I waited, etc. But I can give you a general overview and impression of my Disney-visit, and I will also give some impressions on my USA-visit.

But let me start with Disney.
On Thursday, October 27, we arrived at the Park Vue Inn at about 2.30 pm. We had to wait for some time before we could check in in our room (for the record, "we" is my mom and I), but a nice big smile from my part helped to get our room earlier than official check-in time. :-))
After freshing-up and changing, we headed for Downtown Disney, and to pick up our Disney Park Hoppers at the Will Call boot. First thing I did upon arriving at Downtown Disney was going to the World of Disney Store, in which I spent some hours, but I didn't buy anything (no, that is not true, I did buy the latest issue of Tomart's Disneyana magazine). After that, we looked around at Sephora, the Lego store, the Build a Bear Workshop, department 56, etc etc. We had dinner at the Rainforest Cafe (nicest Rainforest Cafe I have ever been to, and best pizza I ever ate (and I am a pizza-addict): shrimp-pizza, I can only recommend it!)
After that, we went back to the hotel and to our bed.

About the hotel: we stayed at the Park Vue Inn. I had stayed there in 2002, and I liked it a lot. First of all, it's very very close to the Disney-entrance (you just have to cross the cross-walk); I think it's even closer to the theme pars than the Disneyland and Pacific Pier hotels! Next to that, it's cheap. In 2002, the romms were very nice, and since then, they remodelled and redecorated the hotel, and it's even nicer! I can only recommend this hotel, and will return to the Park Vue Inn next time I go.

Friday, October 28, was the BIG day: I went to Disneyland!!!!!!! The park was quite crowded, and some lines went up to more than 1-hour wait. I did some of the "big attractions" in the first hour after opening, when the lines were still nice and short (Matterhorn, Splash Mounatin, Indiana Jones) Since my mom is too chicken to go with me on those rides, she kept my backpack and Minnie-ears while waiting outside, and I could get a FastPass on her ticket.

Now, for the rest of the visit, I can't tell which attractions I did on which day, but we did almost each ride.
While I was on Big Thunder Mountain, my mom went on the Mark Twai, and I didn't get on that, but I don't care much about it. I still didn't go to Tom Sawyer Island (fourth time at Disney, and still don't know what's on that island, shame on me!)
I went for the first time on Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes, and about halfway, my arms hurted from peddling, lol! I was quite happy when we got back, but it was nice to do.
I also went for the very first time in my life in the Tiki Room. I liked it very much, but I don't think it's the kind of attraction I'd like to do more than once every two days.
I went over and over again on the Jungle Cruise. I just love it!! The jokes are so lame, you just have to love it! And besides, which girl doesn't want to spend 6 days and 7 romantic nights with those Jungle Cruise shippers ;-))))
I only went once on Space Mountain. I didn't really like it... It seemed rougher than it used to be, and I hurted my knees and back a little too much the first time I went on it. I just kept going on Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, And Big Thunder Mountain for my big thrills.
I didn't go in Star Tours (got sick on it last time I went on it in Paris, so I don't like it anymore), didn't go on Huney, I etc, because my mom absolutely hates it, and I have seen it already too many times. We did go on Autopia, something we have never done in Paris because that ride is or closed, or the line is 2 hours-long. I didn't remember you had to push that pedal so hard; we had cramps in our legs during the rest of the day, haha!
We visited Mickey and Minnie in their houses (I LOVE Minnie's kitchen!!!!!!!!!), and got pictures with them)
The Monorail and Small World were not operating. I really missed a monorail ride, I like going around/above the park in it!
What other rides? Pirates OTC, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice, Peter Pan, Storybook land canal boats (I really prefer the Paris version of that), Casey Jr, the Carroussel and... that's about it I think.
Oh yes, Splash Mountain broke down (a little) while I was on it. When they "pull you up" just before the big splash, the thing stopped!!!! A CM came running by, and resetted something manually, so it started again, and after 3 seconds, it stopped again. We heard that one rabbit sing "what can br'er rabbit do, to keep from becoming rabbit stew" more than once, lol!
Something we really didn't like was the Haunted Mansion Holiday Layover. That's maybe because I have never seen Nightmare Before Christmas, or because we are not into Halloween, or so, but we really didn't like it!

What did we do more? Oh yes, eating and drinking! We had character breakfast at the Plaza Inn, with Minnie Mouse and friends. I ate 4 Mickey-waffles, plus all the rest. I felt like a stuffed turkey for the rest of the day (my mom said it was my own fault, she said that no one who is sane eats 4 waffles. But it were Mickey waffles, and they were so good! ;-)) )
We also had dinner once at the Plaza Inn, and that was a big disappointment. First of all, there were no prices indicated. We got 2 Pastas with Chicekn Alfredo sauce, 1 piece of chocolate cake, and 2 drinks, and the bill was about 50 dollars. The pasta was cold, the sauce was cold, and I was still hungry after that. Oh, and we had to sit outside, and it was a rather cold evening. The chocolate cake was good though!
One evening we had clam chowder in a bread bowl at Cafe Orleans, and that was really good!
The last day, we shared a Turkey Leg as a snack. It was the first time I noticed they sold that, and every time we passed someone who was eatig it, it smelled so goo, so I had to try it. It was delicious! (Our reflection: we had better eaten a Turkey leg istead of the pasta at the Plaza In. Not only was it cheaper (6$), it tasted better, was warm, and you didn't feel hungry anymore after it!)
Oh, and something else we ate: Dole whips. I had never tried it before, but I read about it in some trip report, so I had to try it. I tried it once, and we returned each day to get one!!! But the line was always so long, unbelievable. One day, the line was up to Jungle Cruise, and I can guarantee you: that makes a long line!

From our 4 days at Disney, we spent 1.5 days at Disney's California Adventure. Most eple don't like that park, well I don't mind, at least that keeps the lines short, haha! DCA also uses the wonderful concept of single rider line, which was very convenient for me. I got 4 times in a row on Grizzly River Run (the spots that didn't get wet the first time, got wet the secnd, third and/or fourth time. After four times, I was soaking wet!!!!!!!), I went on Soarin'( and my mom accompanied me on that one... once), numerous times on California Screamin' and one time on the Sun Wheel. We also saw that Golden Dreams movie twice, went to the Aladdin Musical (I LOVED it!!! they should make a full-length version of it, and play it in Europe!!!) The first day at DCA, I watched the Tower of terror, and was too chicken to go on it. The second time we were in the park, I got on it... and didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Actually, I liked it, and went on it again. Twice was
enough, but I enjoyed it.
Oh yes, we also visited the Boudin Bakery and the Tortilla Factory... because of the bread and tortilla's you get to taste :-))

Now, about entertainment: There was the Parade of Dreams, which was really well-done. Too bad they didn't sell the music on CD. In Paris they sell "single-CD"-type CDs with Parade and Fireworks music, and many people buy those, because they are not too expensive.
On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, there was Fantasmic!, which is my all-time favourite Disney-thing. Not only is it "Fantasmic", I also like the fact that they use actual attrcations in the show (the Columbia, which was not operating during the day btw, the Mark twain, the rafts that bring you to Tom Sawyer island, the island itself as stage, ...) I did have the impression though they changed some things about the show. I should check with the video recording I made last time, but I think they have a new dragon, and I think Mikcey was wearing different clothes when he fights against the dragon. *See it in you mind, and you will find, in your imagination, mysteries and magic, visions fantastic, lalalala*
On Friday and Saturday, there were Fireworks. On friday, we watched it from the Rivers of America, right after the first Fantasmic, and on Saturday we watched it from Main Street. It are the best Disney-fireworks I have ever seen. And I liked the fact that Tinkerbell was "real". The CM playing Tinkerbell may not be afraid from heights, nor from fireworks exploding around your ears, haha!
What else?? Oh yes, Mickey climbing the Matterhorn! That was so funny!! I just loved the way Minnie said "Oh Mickey, I am so afraid, it looks so high, please be careful", lol!
Each morning there was the "dedication ceremony", which I liked a lot. The Fab Five and the Disney marching band came to the Main Street Station, and we listened again to Walt's dedication speech. It was really well-done.
At DCA there was the Block Party bash parade, featuring Pixar-characters. We saw itonce, and didn't really like it.

What did I buy?
Well, that was a point of disappointment: the merchandise they sold was from a "lower level" than it used to be. So far as I remembered, some stores in the park sold some exclusive merchandise you couldn't find in another store, and some sold "high quality" merchandise (nice tableware, nice clothes, nice collectibles, ...) To me it seemed they reduces that to the Paris' level: each store the same "cheap" merchandise (except the price isn't cheap, but I guess you know what I mean). There were not that many special 50th-anniversary items as I thought there would be, there were about no limited edition pins, framed pins, collectibles, watches or whatever, ...
I bought the 6 CD set with the theme park music, the book "Disneyland then now and forever", a plush Minnie Mouse in 50th anniversary dress, a 50th anniversary Mickey and a Mountain Minnie (from DCA) beanie thing, some pins, and that's it.

My general impression?
I think the park looked great, too bad they didn't sell more valuable collectibles, and somehow I missed a little more celebration for the 50th anniversary, but I am glad I went!
Next to that, I still like DCA, although that park could use some more Disney-magic, and better parades!

During my vacation, I went to the Disney Store in San Francisco, which was another disappointing experience. They only sold Princess-costumes, toys and "cheap" stuff; no collectibles at all!
In Hollywood, we discovered Disney's Soda Fountain and Studio Store, and we loved that! They have th best sundaes and milk shakes, and nice merchandise (i.e. key chains, pins, t-shirts, ...) Yes, that's the stuff i call "cheap", but since the logo was nice, I bought a pin and key chain.

Some general impression on my vacation? I visited the USA for the last time in August 2002, and then I stayed with friends, so somehow, I was a little bit "protected" from what happned in the country, with which I mean: I stayed at my friends' house in a nice neighbourhood, they took me to nice stores and nice restaurants, etc etc.
This time, I made hotel reservations through the internet, so I didn't really know where I would end up, and my mom and I used public transportation to get around in San Francisco, Sacramento and Hollywood/ LA.

Now, before you continue to read, I want to make clear I don't "judge" the USA, its government, the American people or whatever. I only say what I saw, and how I feel about it!

In San Francisco, we were absolutely shocked by the high number of homeless people. I can't think of any other place where I have been (and I travel a lot!) where I saw so many poor, homeless people in the streets. It was the first time my mom went to the US, and her idea of the US is well... what we see in movies and in soaps and on the news. Her first reaction was: "is this Bush' country? Is this the big powerful America you see on television. Why don't they help their citizens first, instead of making war?" Well, that's something I wondered too.
In Sacramento, we didn't encounter that many homeless people, but maybe because we stayed in the nicer neighbourhoods. In Hollywood, we were just scared of being murdered, haha! (I had asked the waiter at the restaurant we went to, as a joke, what my chances were of being murdered on the streets. His answer wasn't too reassuring. I was glad when we left Hollywood/ LA!)

Before I make my second reflection, I want you to know that I don't know what you all look like, I don't care what you look like, and I don't want to judge upon anyone. It is once again a reflection I make from my European point of view.

I was more than ever shocked by the high number of fat people in the US. I know that isn't the politically correct term, but that's how reality is.
It is really sad to see how many people, adults and children alike, weigh way too much! I don't have the ideal weight myself, but what I saw... well... it made me feel sad.
The worst thing about it, is that I have the feeling society just "accepts" the problem, and doesn't do anything about it. Here in Europe, more and more people are getting overweighted too, but in Belgium, as in many European countries, all/most schools have special programs about healthy food, the government has all sorts of campaigns to promote healthy food, etc etc. I got the impression in the US, none of that happens. I really hope the US government knows that that really is a time bomb.

To conclude, I have a little story to tell you, something that happened to us in Sacramento. In San Francisco, we had bought post cards, but couldn't find stamps. So, in Sacramento, we found a Post Office, and wanted to go in and buy stamps. When we entered the building, we had to go through a security check, just like you have at air terminals. The security guy searched our purses and... found a camera (quite logic, we were tourists, and were sightseeing, so we did bring a camera to make pictures) No way we could enter the building because of the camera! Excuse me???? We are tourists, not terrorists! (Besides, that he's happy we spent huge amounts of money in his country! My mom had a Visa-limit of 2500 euro, and I had one of 3250 euro, and we pushed our cards to the limit. Next to that, we had brought lots of cash that we spent too! You might want to invest in Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren or Macy's, cause that's where we spent all that money,
haha!)
So, we proposed to that security guy we left the camera behind with him, go inside, buy the stamps, come back, pick the camera up, and continue our sightseeing. No way we could do that.
So, I took my wallet out of my purse, gave my purse to mom and went inside, alone, to buy stamps (BTW, I wanted to pay for them with Visa-card, but couldn't because my passport was in my purse, and my purse was with my mom etc etc *sigh*)
Now, when I got back to the entrance of the building... no mom... She had to go outside with the purses and the cameras, no way she could wait for me at the entrance of the PO!
10 minutes later, we entered the capitol to go on a tour, and there was no security check at all... go figure...
Unbelievable how hard it is to buy stamps in the US! lol

That's about it for my story/report, if you want to comment on it, feel free to react through the group, or to me directly (sandra_vanbossuyt@yahoo.com)

Greetings,

Sandra

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice" - Scooter

"You can blame me and bless me, but you cannot possess me, cause I belong to me..." - Elisabeth, the musical

Drince88
11-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the report!

Just a couple of things I have to comment on

I also went for the very first time in my life in the Tiki Room. I liked it very much, but I don't think it's the kind of attraction I'd like to do more than once every two days.

I agree with you, I like the original Tiki Room - but I think some people here would argue that once every 2 days was WAY too much! :fez:

I'm glad you rode the Tower of Terror after all! I'm also surprised you were more tossed around by Space than by Matterhorn - I could do multiple rides on Space, but Matterhorn we did only twice (once each side) only because the line was short, because it was so rough.

Did you get to see Crush in Turtle Talk? That was a new attraction that really impressed me on our recent trip.

And just so you know, not ALL post offices have that kind of security -- I don't think any of them in my part of the country have so much as a security guard during normal times of the year (post Katrina, we did have armed security, but that was because the lines were long and frustrating, because nobody was getting any mail).

I wasn't really impressed with the temperature of our meal at Plaza Inn, but at least our portions were huge (in fact, too huge). We did see prices posted outside the restaurant on the menus there, but you're right, that one was a real shock on the price.

SandraVB79
11-05-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm glad you rode the Tower of Terror after all! I'm also surprised you were more tossed around by Space than by Matterhorn - I could do multiple rides on Space, but Matterhorn we did only twice (once each side) only because the line was short, because it was so rough.

Did you get to see Crush in Turtle Talk? That was a new attraction that really impressed me on our recent trip.

I think I liked Matterhorn because 1) you see where you are going, and 2) the cart is made for 1 person. Since I have to go alone in all the rides, and the Space Mountain train is intended for 2 people next to each other, I have more room to "toss around" (the same happens on BTM, but there again I can see where I am going) I really prefer "our" space mountain, where you have that harness, and have loopings and so...

We didn't go to Crush, nor did we do that Buzz-ride. I have reasons to go back :D

SuefromRI
11-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the report. Interesting to hear everyone's views. I've never seen a security guard at a post office, probably cuz I haven't been in one in a big city lately, so I found that part surprising for such a hassle for stamps.

seattlemouse
11-05-2005, 09:56 AM
I agree with your observations about the US, homelesness and obesity. You make some good points. I think many of us are so use to seeing these things that we don't even notice them anymore.