PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise You Have Ever Planned at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

meandthree
11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
I was speaking with a VP from Disneyland today and he told me that they were able to make any dream come true, so tell me what is the biggest surprise you have planned for your trip to DL. I have already planned to have baskets delivered but was wondering if anyone had come up with something extra special.

brian9549
11-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Years ago (1996) I proposed to my wife at the Wishing Well. At the time, I called ahead to see if the area would be open on the day that I wanted to pop the question. The person I spoke to said it might be closed for a wedding that entire day. She asked for my address and said she would send me something special in case it was. Well a few days later I got a letter in the mail that had a special ticket for the Lilly Belle on the Disneyland Railroad. The note said I could use that to propose to my wife.

Luckily when we go to Disneyland the well area was open and I was able to pop the question like I wanted to. We used the Lilly Belle ticket to celebrate the occcasion a few hours later. That has been the biggest surprise I have ever done at Disneyland.:D

tinksmom
11-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Going.

mickeynminnie
11-04-2005, 08:11 PM
For my husband's birthday, I surprised him with a whole trip. We live in the SF Bay Area to I told him we were driving to Santa Barbara and just kept on driving. Before we even got to L.A. I made him put a blind fold on (he wanted to nap anyway). We pulled up to the DLH and whipped off his blind fold. He was very surprised! I have VP deliver the chocolate lovers basket to our room and had told them that it was his birthday. They had a birthday pin with his name and an autographed picture of the big cheese himself waiting for him in our room along with 6 tuxedoed strawberries and champagne! VP also got us our F! balcony tickets and we were seated first! Needless to say my DH thought I was a magician.

meandthree
11-05-2005, 05:53 AM
These are so great! I love to hear these stories. This is why I love Disneyland! When we went to WDW I sent a huge basket to the kids and asked that it be delivered to our room. We got there and got checked in and guess what! They handed the basket to my kids right there :-[ I was so disappointed. The VP at Disneyland assured me that this wouldn't happen. Has anyone ever paid to have a character show up at their room?

disneyhound
11-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Going.

Ditto!

My daughter likes being surprised, so she never knows exactly when our DL annual trip will be. We always leave on a Thursday morning, sometime in January or February. So, the Wednesday evening, before we go, I say something like, "so you need to pack for 5 days..." :p

potterphreak
11-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Becky, F! seats might be a great surprise! I soooo wanted to do this for our upcoming trip, but F! is only playing the first night we are there and the 2 boys are going to a Mighty Ducks game and my mom is staying at the hotel. Oh well! LOL Too late to call now....WOOOHOOO Less than 30 days out!! I remember when that little counter still said 100+!

disneyhound
11-05-2005, 06:29 AM
...WOOOHOOO Less than 30 days out!! I remember when that little counter still said 100+!

Trade Ya!

Leap for Joy
11-05-2005, 06:34 AM
I keep waiting (hoping) to hear the story of the surprise I saw unfolding when I was there a couple of weeks ago. We were heading out of DL and noticed a huge group of people near the DL firestation. They all had matching t-shirts and seemed to be hiding and watching the entrance tunnel. So of course we waited to see what would happen. A couple (grandparents maybe) was walking toward them and they all jumped out to surprise them. I think the woman was in on the surprise. The man looked like he was about to cry. It was so fun to watch!!

Mr.Bear
11-05-2005, 07:03 AM
I know my wife would say one of her biggest surprises was last Thanksgiving.
We were in front of the castle standing in the middle of the compass. The fire works just ended and as she was looking up at the snow I dropped to my knee and told her she was my best friend and I wanted to spend my life with her having fun and would she marry me.
Needless to say, it has made DL a special place for us.

Yes we did get married, last Valentines day in the Little White Chapel in Vegas. After we both went skydiving for the first time that morning.

We will be in the same Mouse place, at the same magical Mouse time again this year. Look for the two big kids kissing with mouse ears on.

TDBearGrrl
11-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I was involved in a surprise party at Disneyland this past July. It was a friends 50th. I am intentionally leaving her name out - I didn't ask her before I posted this. (She is about two weeks older than Disneyland) She is a HUGE Mickey Mouse Club fan. There were four of us waiting for her and her partner to arrive at the park. We all had different stations inside the gates where we were watching from and stayed in almost constant cell phone communication. When we saw them in line, we all hid behind the tree. As they approached we kind of 'appeared' in front of them. We had on "modified" MMC tee shirts that said T****'s (her name) Birthday Club. We also re-wrote the theme song and sang it for her. We did some of her favorite attractions. Whenever cast members would notice our shirts and ask about the birthday girl we would sing our little song for them and make sure we told them that she was older than Disneyland.

After a few hours we told her that we had to get back home for something (I don't remember at this time) and left the park. She and her friend did one or two more things, while we left went and picked up her birthday cake and got things set up at the restaurant. It is a great italian place near Dland, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. About 15 more people joined us for dinner. The birthday girl arrived thinking she was going to a nice quiet dinner for two! During dinner, before presents, I snuck out to get her suitcase out of the van. After all the other presents were opened her friend gave her the suitcase and told her she had a suite for the night at the Grand! Several of us went back and played poker and enjoyed the suite. (on the way we also enjoyed a couple of Redwood Mai Tais).

I am also working on another surprise birthday party for February. I don't know if that one will have as many surprises built in but it will be fun for sure!!

meandthree
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I just love all of this. Of course we do know that just being at DL is special. Keep the stories coming, I enjoy an uplifting good read!

adriennek
11-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Hmmm, I wonder why AVP hasn't posted to this thread yet...

Adrienne

ssturgeo
11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Heading out in Five days with my 13 year old granddaughter. We will be at DLH the 12th-20th. On Thursday, the 17th I have booked the Princess Diaries Room for us to stay in!! She loved the two movies ... cannot wait to see her face. And, also am having a Tinkerbell basket and robe delivered to the room the day we arrive.

I LOVE VP...they are all so GREAT!!!

Sharon

Raven
11-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Ssturgeo - let me know how the Tinkerbell Basket is...I am thinking about doing the same thing for my 13 year old niece for her birthday Jan 6 - 8!! THANKS!

potterphreak
11-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Ooooh oooooooooooh!! What is the Princess Diaries room? And can you use the AP rate for it? And if not, how much? What makes it so special?? Sounds fab!!!!!!!!!!

meandthree
11-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I want to know also! Please post about the Tink Basket because I was going to order one for my DD but she is 8 so I guess I will need to hear if you think it is to grown up for an 8 year old.

momtotwins
11-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm taking my twins to Disneyland to celebrate their 6th birthday. They are clueless. My daughter asked me this weekend if she could go to Disneyland for her birthday (the 16th) and I told her "no, you've got to go to school." I'm so mean. :D

We are leaving Monday morning, and we won't tell them where we are going till we get on the plane. When we are there, we are going all out. A suite at GCH, lunch at Ariel's Grotto, breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe, gift baskets delivered for their birthday (Princess basket for daughter, buzz basket for son), and a cake. They are going to be so EXCITED. I can hardly wait to see their expressions. Wish me luck in keeping the secret!

twist1980
11-07-2005, 03:01 PM
My surprise hasn't happened yet, but here goes. On Friday, December 9th, I am flying my mom from Seattle to my aunts house in Huntington Beach. She thinks that her 50th birthday present from me is a plane ticket to my aunts house. The rest of my family is flying in on either Tuesday the 13th or Wednesday the 14th and we are going to have a surprise party for my mom at my cousins house. Then from there we will take her to the DL hotel for four fun filled days at Disneyland!

I am having such a hard time keeping a secret! I've actually had this idea for three or four years. My mom mentioned back then that she was turning 50 the same year as Disneyland! I can't believe we are only a month away after years of dreaming! :D

sajack
11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I see everyone mentioning gift baskets..tell me more! I love things like that and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Thanks!

meandthree
11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
I got a list of the baskets from Potterphreak. I am not sure where she got the list from, but if you want to PM her I think that she can probably help you. They all sound darling good luck!

Isn't the fiftieth birthday party awesome! What a grand idea!

Pirate Princess
11-07-2005, 11:05 PM
My surprise hasn't happened yet either, but it will be in Dec.
I have been torturing my 4yo for the last few months. I will occasionally let him catch me on a DL site, or leave a AP letter out on the table, or let him see the vacation video I ordered which I planted on his seat on the couch (and I made him beg me to let him watch it.... "please?" "no, sorry, its bedtime" "PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!" etc.)
He knows that he only gets to go for his birthday, which is months away, and that HMH, the snow, Santa, and the decorations will be gone by then. He is such a NBC fan too! Well, all this torturing has a point. To build his excitement for our surprise trip in Dec.
I will have all our bags packed and in the car without him knowing it and early in the morning I will tell him to get in the car and we are going on a long drive. We will end up at the LA Natural History Museum (he is obsessed with dinosaurs) and he will probably be too excited about that to even think another surprise will be waiting. After the museum we will head to DL for a couple days!!! I can't wait! I have never been to DL at Christmas time either, so it is too hard to keep this secret!
I'll let you know how it goes.

ssturgeo
11-08-2005, 05:32 AM
The Disneyland Hotel has transformed a bedroom of its luxurious Presidential Suite into a re-creation of Princess Mia's regal quarters. The new, totally redecorated room has been beautifully appointed with elaborate reproductions of the elegantly designed Drexel-Heritage furniture seen in the motion picture, creating a new level of stately, yet fun-filled accommodations fit for any princess or prince.

The Princess Diaries Suite is located atop the 11-story Sierra Tower at the Disneyland Hotel, providing a sweeping view of the nearby Downtown Disney District and surrounding Disneyland Resort. The room features an ornate, hand-crafted queen-size bed and delicate overhead cornice that are matched with a collection of European-influenced furniture, and most pieces are from the original movie set depicting Mia's private chambers. The themed bedroom can be booked separately or as part of the complete 1,320 square-foot Presidential Suite.

"When we learned that identical furniture from 'The Princess Diaries' film was available, we developed a plan to create a Princess Diaries Suite so our guests could experience the setting of this wonderful Disney story," said Tony Bruno, vice president, Disneyland Resort Hotels. "The Disneyland Hotel's overall decor is inspired by classic Disney themes and the royal styling of this special room is a wonderful compliment to the inviting and imaginative atmosphere of our hotel."

The suite's distinctive furniture, provided by Drexel-Heritage, was inspired by traditional, fine European designs, and each piece was formed and finished by hand to produce a classic, aged appearance. Exquisite linens from Italy were used for the bed covers, pillows and accompanying treatments. Two slipper chairs are carefully upholstered with fine silk decorated with tiny images of chairs. A pair of demilune chests are intricately hand-painted with bygone European scenes and topped with marble slabs. A large, French-style dresser stands ready to hold the clothing of any visiting princess or prince.

Guests staying in the special room receive the "royal treatment" in every regard, including complimentary gifts such as the DVD of "The Princess Diaries," a CD of the original motion picture soundtrack of "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement," a sparkling rhinestone tiara in a presentation box. Other princess-theme items or services can be included for an additional fee. By staying in the hotel's concierge-level accommodations, guests also have access to the nearby Concierge Lounge which offers more exclusive amenities.

The rate to book the Princess Diaries Suite itself ranges from $430 to $515 per night. If reserved as part of the entire contemporary-style Presidential Suite, the total rate can range from $1,400 to $1,755, depending on season.

To book this whimsical, new addition to the Disneyland Hotel, or for more information, call (714) 956-6545.

ssturgeo
11-08-2005, 05:38 AM
VP e-mailed me a list of all the baskets availablefor purchase

All kinds...for adults and kids...and some appropriate for both! You can purchase the baskets alone, anywhere from around $40-$115...you can also, along with the basket purchase a robe...around $70

I will let you know what all was in it when I post my trip report (which I do not even want to think about doing...that will mean I am back home already!!!)

going2disneyAZ
11-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I see everyone mentioning gift baskets..tell me more! I love things like that and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Thanks!

VP sent me this a couple of months ago:

Age Group Infant
Baby Keepsake
Basket
Classic Pooh Baby Onzie - 2 pc
Baby Pooh Bib
Pooh Plush
Pooh & Tigger Photo Album

Price: $78 Plus Tax

Age Group 3-10
Ears to You
*Adult Ears can be substituted @ same Price
Youth Mickey Ears
Autograph Books
Sorceror Pen
Mickey Pretzels 2 oz.
Chocolate Treat
Price: $28 Plus Tax
Golden Mickey Ear's to You - w/50th Autograph Book
& 50th Golden Pen (everything else is the same)
Price: $33 Plus Tax

Age Group 3-10
Mickey's or Minnie's Lunch Bunch
Mickey's or Minnie's Lunch Sack
Disney Character Mug
Mickey's Pinball Game
Whirly Lollipop
Mickey's Pretzels
Chocolate Crème Cookies
Price: $48 Plus Tax

Age Group 10-18
California Dreamin' (Male)
Basket
Mickey Ying Yang Hat
Condemned Wallet w/chain
Disney Racer Collectable Car
Galactic Ooze
Tower of Terror Dog Tags
Crème Cookies
Mickey Mouse Spearmints
Chocolate Treat
Price $83 Plus Tax

Age Group - 3-Adult
Pooh and Friends Collection
Basket
9" Pooh Beanie
9" Tigger Beanie
9" Piglet Beanie
9" Eeyore Beanie
Ceramic Pooh Mug
Pooh and Tigger Photo Album
Pooh Sour Bears Tin
Price: $93 Plus Tax

Age Group 3-12
Marvelous Mickey Collection
Basket
Mickey Beanie 9"
Autograph/photo book w/pen
Mickey Mouse Activity Set
Mickey Ears
Disney Resort Postcards & Crayons
Chocolate Treat
Character Cookies 2 oz.
Med. Lollipop 3 oz.
Goofy's Red Licorice Bites
Mickey Mouse Pretzels

Age Group 3-12
Marvelous Minnie Collection
Basket
Minnie Beanie 9"
Autograph/photo book w/Pen
Mickey Mouse Activity Set
Mickey Ears
Disney Resort Postcards & Crayons
Chocolate Treat
Character Cookies 2 oz.
Med. Lollipop 3 oz.
Mickey Mouse Pretzels

Age Group 10-18
California Dreamin' (Female)
Basket
Tinkerbell Photo Album & Chocolate Treat
39- Exposure Kodak disposable camera
White Puka Shell Necklace
Minnie Mouse Peppermints
Chocolate/Vanilla Crème Cookies
Lizzy McGuire Journal & Character Pen
Minnie Mouse Coin Purse
Price: $83 Plus Tax

Age Group - 3-Adult
Chocolate Lover's Delight
Basket
Chocolate/Vanilla Crème Cookies 8 oz.
Chocolate Shortbread Round Cookies
Chocolate Pretzels 9.5 oz.
Lenticular Box of Chocolates 10oz.
Milk Chocolate Bar 2.25 oz
Milk Chocolate Bar w/Almonds 2.25 oz.
Dark Chocolate Bar 2.25 oz
Mickey Beanie 12"
Price: $68 Plus Tax

Disney-Themed Amenities

Age Group 5-Adult
California Cooler Pack
Mickey Cooler Pack
(2) Dasani 24 oz. Waters
Classic Tootsie Roll bar
Butterfinger Candy bar
Good and Plenty Candy
Mickey Shortbread Cookies
Mickey Cheddar Crackers & Mickey Pretzels 2 oz.
Peter Pan Chocolate Toffee Bar
Mickey Key Chain
Price: $38 Plus Tax
W/Character Beach Towel Price: $58 Plus Tax

Age Group 16-Adult Female
Calif Spa Collection - Orange/Vanilla
Wicker Tan Chest
Tin of Mickey's Chamomile Herbal Tea
Natural Mist
Bath & Body Oil
Petal Potpourri w/beads
Aromo Herbal Foaming Wash & wash puff