PDA

View Full Version : I have to tell somebody!

Pages : [1] 2

Grampa
11-04-2005, 09:48 AM
A bit long, but bear with me.

My wife and I have a son who will be 11 in a couple of weeks. At the end of his last school year, he was diagnosed as being dyslexic (this on top of having Chron's Disease - the poor kid can't seem to catch a break). Because the training he needs (Muliti Sensory Instruction, or MSI) is offered at a different elementary school, he will not get to go to school with his friends for the next 2 years. This really bummed him out.

My wife and I decided that a trip to Disneyland for his birthday would help, but not just any trip. We decided to take his best buddy with us. We have arranged everything with his buddy's parents, and we have managed to keep it secret from our son and his friend. We plan on telling them the night we leave for the airport. We also plan to take them to Medieval Times, but we aren't going to tell them until we arrive there.

We have been planning this since August, and as you might guess, it's been very difficult to discuss this without letting something slip. We will be leaving on November 10th, and the closer it gets, the harder it is to keep the secret. I figure if I tell everyone here, I can get it out of my system, and still manage to keep the secret for another six days!

twist1980
11-04-2005, 10:00 AM
That is awesome! I'm surprising my mom with a trip in December for her 50th birthday! I'm flying her down four days before my family to stay with my aunt in Huntington Beach. Then my auntie and uncle will bring her to my cousins and we'll all be there!

I know how it is to keep a secret...hard! Can't wait to read the trip report, including their reactions, when you get back!!! :D

annieb727
11-04-2005, 10:02 AM
that's AWESOME! what a great surprise for him! i can't wait to hear about how it goes!

Crazy4DL
11-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh Grampa! what a fun surprise for your son and his friend! Have a wonderful time!

My DD and I surprised her three little ones with a trip to DL in May 04. We drove all the way to Seattle (3 1/2 hr drive) in the middle of the night and when we woke them up at the airport and told them we were flying to DL . . . priceless excitment and joy on their faces. :)

That will be an awesome 50th B-day for your mom, twist1980.

I think I should surprise myself for my 52 B-day this January and take myself to DL, again! :D ;)

IcDkRy16
11-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow, that's SO cool! I can't wait to hear all about it.

dlandnut
11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Trip Reports are definitely in order from Grampa and Twist...Have a great time! :)

yellowrosedtxn
11-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Trip Reports are definitely in order from Grampa and Twist...Have a great time! :)

I agree. That is so exciting! I surprised my daughter on her 14th birthday (last week) with tickets to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at the IMAX. Everyone else knew, but she didn't. She was so happy when she got that card with the information on it!

I can't wait for the reports!

Grampa
11-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks everybody!

What makes this even harder is the fact that my grandaughter's birthday will be during this same trip. She is also going to be going on this trip with her dad, mom (my daughter) and her sister. She knows we are taking her uncle to Disneyland and has promised not to tell, but doesn't know she is also going. Her mom told her they can't afford to go to Disneyland, and promised to take her to Seattle for the weekend. She won't find out the truth until we all meet at the airport.:D

counterwgt
11-04-2005, 11:08 AM
What a great surprise for the boys. Have a fantastic time.

If you are able to keep the secret until then, have the buddy over for a sleep over and then wake them for the trip to the airport with the words "Who wants to meet Mickey?"

We did that for our DD (7) and DS (9) the last time we went. It was the only way we figured we could get them to sleep the night before we left.

HAve a fun time.
D

Grampa
11-04-2005, 11:39 AM
What a great surprise for the boys. Have a fantastic time.

If you are able to keep the secret until then, have the buddy over for a sleep over and then wake them for the trip to the airport with the words "Who wants to meet Mickey?"

We did that for our DD (7) and DS (9) the last time we went. It was the only way we figured we could get them to sleep the night before we left.

HAve a fun time.
D

He's been asking about his birthday present already. We've told him that it's hidden at his friend's house. Since we will be leaving on a "redeye" flight at at 1 AM, we are going to pick up his friend in the evening, and then show them both the Disneyland tickets. This way his friend's parents get to see the reaction from both of them.

blackjackdelta
11-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Very cool. I will be lots of memories that will last a life time.

Monte Cristo
11-04-2005, 11:50 AM
A bit long, but bear with me.

My wife and I have a son who will be 11 in a couple of weeks. At the end of his last school year, he was diagnosed as being dyslexic (this on top of having Chron's Disease - the poor kid can't seem to catch a break). Because the training he needs (Muliti Sensory Instruction, or MSI) is offered at a different elementary school, he will not get to go to school with his friends for the next 2 years. This really bummed him out.

My wife and I decided that a trip to Disneyland for his birthday would help, but not just any trip. We decided to take his best buddy with us. We have arranged everything with his buddy's parents, and we have managed to keep it secret from our son and his friend. We plan on telling them the night we leave for the airport. We also plan to take them to Medieval Times, but we aren't going to tell them until we arrive there.

We have been planning this since August, and as you might guess, it's been very difficult to discuss this without letting something slip. We will be leaving on November 10th, and the closer it gets, the harder it is to keep the secret. I figure if I tell everyone here, I can get it out of my system, and still manage to keep the secret for another six days!

Awesome.

Thank you for sharing something that really, REALLY makes my day.

Crazy4DL
11-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Grampa! more family on the trip and more surprises? wow!! a trip report will be expected for sure :D ;)

Raven
11-04-2005, 12:46 PM
What a wonderful surprise! I hope you have an awesome time...and don't forget the trip report!

SuefromRI
11-04-2005, 02:05 PM
I think it's great that your son will have a special treat to make up for being in a different school than his friends. And Twist, surprising your mom is great too. BUT, I don't know how you both can be so good at keeping a secret!!
When we are preparing for a trip we all talk about it and look at past pictures and plan what we want to see first, etc. I'd be a wreck if I couldn't talk about and get visably excited about it. You all deserve credit for being so good. But, now that you told us, we will expect to hear all about it afterwards.

Disneynerd
11-04-2005, 03:09 PM
What an awesome idea!!!!! You'll make some great memories, you're a terrific dad. How are you handling the details out of curiosity? Are mom and dad packing his bag while he sleeps?

Clotho
11-04-2005, 03:27 PM
I am horrible at keeping surprises like that, too. But what an amazing trip this will be for you all. HAVE FUN!

Grampa
11-04-2005, 03:27 PM
What an awesome idea!!!!! You'll make some great memories, you're a terrific dad. How are you handling the details out of curiosity? Are mom and dad packing his bag while he sleeps?

It ain't easy! He has to take ten pills a day for his Chron's disease. My wife sorted his medicine into a travel container while he was at a friend's house and then hid the container. We are waiting until the last minute to pack his bag and ours, and then we will have to hide them. We've had to hide the Disneyland tickets. I arranged the reservations for Medieval Times over the phone, so there are no tickets to hide for it. We spoke to his teacher about the days he will be missing, and had to swear her to secrecy. I almost messed up once and gave our home phone number to verify a reservation. Fortunately my wife got to the answering machine before he did! The hotel and rental car were arranged over the internet, and the copies hidden.

The hardest part about it is not talking about the trip while he's around. We are really looking forward to the trip, and it takes a lot of effort not to talk about it!

hbquikcomjamesl
11-04-2005, 03:56 PM
I note that Wikipedia has no article on Chron's disease. Seems like you're in a perfect position to write one.

But more to the point, congratulations, and I hope all goes well, and that you and your son (and his friend) enjoy the trip.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I note that Wikipedia has no article on Chron's disease. Seems like you're in a perfect position to write one.

But more to the point, congratulations, and I hope all goes well, and that you and your son (and his friend) enjoy the trip.

Grampa
11-04-2005, 04:14 PM

If you want to learn more about Chron's disease, the best place to look is the website for the Chron's and Colitis Foundation of America.

http://ccfa.org/

It's a chronic disease that can't be cured, but it can be managed.

mi_mous
11-04-2005, 06:56 PM
That is awesome, and great job for keeping it a secret for this long... I don't know if I could have done it!
But, I am sure your son and his friend will remember this FOREVER. It should get your sons mind off of things as well.. sounds like it has been a tough year.

K & S
11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
If you want to learn more about Chron's disease, the best place to look is the website for the Chron's and Colitis Foundation of America.

http://ccfa.org/

It's a chronic disease that can't be cured, but it can be managed.

What a super surprise, the look on his face when you tell him will last in your memory forever.

As for the dyslexic, my son was diagnosed at about the same age. Today, after three years of classes at Sylvan, he's a sophomore at Loyola Marymount University with a 3.6 GPA.

Whittibo
11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
oh how fun! I hope you have the time of your life! I hope for only the best of the best weather while you're there, and light crowds!

My daughter has dyslexia and ADD. It's not fun, but they do manage. I don't know anything about chron's but 10 pills a day! Whew!

My daughter was 10 June 2nd, and I home school her, but learning will be a struggle all her life.

Interestingly enough, I suppose you know that dyslexia is genetic?! So which one of you have it, you or your wife?? Or both??

I know it came from me. It really does explain a LOT in my childhood. I wish we knew then what we know now! My dad just said something to me last night about dyslexia (but he can't pronounce it of course) and I informed him that HE has most of the symptoms and hey, I had to get it from somewhere! ;)

I think God made two types of people.. we each use different sides of our brains and we each have different gifts. If you try to stuff a square peg in a round hole, it will make that square peg look like it's got a problem, when in fact, it's the people who made the ROUND hole that have the problem.

Give your son a hug from us and tell him Happy Birthday! And don't forget to get him a sticker and ride in front of the monorail!

Leap for Joy
11-05-2005, 06:25 AM
I love Disney surprises! Be sure to tell us all about it when you get back!!