PDA

View Full Version : Big Disneyland Trip May '06 - Planning Help Wanted

ehbowen
11-03-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm planning a big Disneyland trip for my extended family (Me, Mom (64) and Dad (74), my sister and brother-in-law, and four nieces (13, 9, 3, 1) and two nephews (11 and 6). The thing is, this will be my first trip to Disneyland since '88 and my first trip to any Disney park since '94. You think things might have changed?

Here's the (tentative) plan: Leave Houston Friday night, May 19, aboard the Sunset Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Horizontal_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081442673803&ssid=132). Arrive Union Station in LA Sunday around lunchtime (scheduled arrival 10:10 am, but the Sunset almost always runs late). Pick up two rental cars from Hertz, one minivan and one compact. First three nights, stay at the Hollywood Vermont/Sunset Travelodge (http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=09467&brandInfo=TL). Possible first days activities include Griffith Park and its Observatory (http://www.griffithobs.org/), Hollywood, La Brea Tar Pits, horseback riding (http://www.losangeleshorsebackriding.com/index.html). Universal Studios is a remote possibility but I think we're doing the theme park thing enough as it is. Wednesday morning, we pack up the kids and head to Anaheim (tentative reservations made at the Howard Johnson via MouseSavers for seven of us; sister, BIL, and the babies will stay with friends nearby). Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at DL and DCA. Would like to see Fantasmic! and fireworks at least once, as well as one of the parades. Would also like to work in at least one character meal for the kids - preferably the Princesses meal at Ariel's. Sunday the 28th, pack everyone up and get back to the station in time to catch the Sunset departing eastbound at 2:30 pm.

Questions:

I know this is the week and weekend before Memorial Day. What are the crowds going to be like? It is impossible for us to go any earlier due to school schedules. I didn't want to go any later, although I might be able to change dates if I pay a penalty (I've already gotten the lowest First Class (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1080080553972&pagename=Amtrak%2Fam2Copy%2FAccommodations_Page&c=am2Copy) fare Amtrak offers). I could, without penalty, flip the dates for our attractions - Disney first and then Hollywood/etc. last - but then, if I understand the schedules right, we'd probably miss Fantasmic! and the fireworks. I guess we could also do "Disney till you drop" - all week long - but I'd kinda like to show the kids that there's more in SoCal than just the mouse house.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to other activities for the first three days (in and around Hollywood) which might (a) capture the kids' attention, (b) not bore the adults too much, and (c) not drain the wallets too much (finances are a concern, esp. for the kids' parents).

With that in mind, can anyone recommend any moderately priced and family friendly eating establishments around our projected ports of call?

I've recently received an AAA solicitation. I wouldn't normally accept (I get towing coverage through my insurance company for $12 per year), but would it be worthwhile to purchase it this year for this one trip?

Dad will need an ECV scooter. What's the best place in Anaheim to rent one?

Any other comments and suggestions from those of you who have been there and done that in the recent past? This is a trip I'm really looking forward to!

emmah
11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
have you thought about splitting your time? Perhaps spending Monday doing other things, then Tuesday-Thurs in the Parks (these being the slowest days) and then doing your own things during the daytime on friday/sat, and just heading into the park in the evenings for the parades and the fireworks. You could stay in the one place and just head out of the anaheim area by car. This is what I am planning to do on my visit in a few weeks. :)

Maus
11-03-2005, 06:07 PM
If you'll be in the Griffith Park area two of my favorite things are the Autry National Center (http://autrynationalcenter.org/index_gp.php)and the Los Angeles Zoo (http://www.lazoo.org/). The Autry Center is good for a variety of ages and the LA Zoo is very good (though not as large or exciting as the San Diego Zoo).

Here's a thread that addresses the ECV question: ECV Break During Day [at DLR]? (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=48130)

ehbowen
12-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Still looking for help/advice....

[BUMP]

bassett1976
12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Note: The Observatory has been closed for a couple of years while they are refurbishing the building. It might not be open yet and I don't remember when it's scheduled to open. The Autry museum might be exciting for the adults but probibly not for the kids. (Note: I'm not a museum person so I was really bored myself)

Second, the LA zoo isn't that great of a zoo. It's small and they are working on it so things are closed. There are a couple of things to do in Griffith park that are a lot of fun for kids. First, the Los Angeles Live Steamers is usually open on Sundays and gives guests a chance to ride live scale models of trains. These are the size of the trains that Walt built for his backyard. Then next door is Travel Town where you can go and see some retired working RR engines/cars. We used to go and climb around on them for hours but I've heard they have downsized them since the last time I was there. Inside of Griffith Park you can also hike to the location of the Bat Cave (from the origional Batman series) and they also do a lot of other filming there. The walk is about 10-15 minutes one way and not very difficult at all. Griffith Park also has a carousel that's open on the weekend.

Also, Universal City Walk is a great place to hang out with a few things to do but it might dampen the pocketbook if you do a lot of things inside. They have many shops and restraunts and also they have a movie theater.

I would also recommend a small side trip. It would take a while to drive there but you can check out the tide pools at Abalone Cove or a trip to Malibu.

Andrew
12-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Second, the LA zoo isn't that great of a zoo. It's small and they are working on it so things are closed.
If you want to visit a zoo, one of the best in the country is just a few hours south on I-5: San Diego Zoo (http://www.sandiegozoo.org/)

... You belong in the zoo, the San Diego Zoo...

lauramaynot
12-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Since flipping the schedule because of the weekend shows seems to not be what you want to do, maybe you could split it up. Spend a few days at DL at the beginning of the week and then hit the park again Sat/Sunday so that you will get the shows. I guarantee that "Remember" is definately an awesome way to end any disney trip. As for things to do in Hollywood, have you considered the walk of fame (stars with famous peoples footprints/handprints) or going to the cemetaries and looking at famous peoples graves (a little research and you could get a pretty good list, and it is FREE) Check out the forum park access there used to be a good thread about EVCs.

THpoohbear
12-08-2005, 07:23 AM
a little futher out from the Hollywood area is the Getty Center Museum in West LA. It's beautiful, and well worth the trip. It's free except for parking. Take a picnic, and eat in the gardens. They have different activities for kids too, although I'm not familiar with them. Finding the Getty on the web should be easy. You can see a view of the ocean from there.

Also right in Hollywood is the Pantages Theatre that Disney owns. It's quite beautiful. It would cost the amount of a movie ticket. They only show one movie at a time, so I'm not sure what will be showing in May, but the selction is always Disney. They rotate between new and previous releases. Once my DH and I were walking by, kinda looking in, and CM asked if we wanted a tour! So he let us in and gave a us a little tour and some history of the theatre for free! There was a movie in progress, so we couldn't go inside, but he let us take a quick peak through the curtain. If you go see Grauman's Chinese theatre, then Pantages is literally across the street. :)

12-08-2005, 10:19 AM
a little futher out from the Hollywood area is the Getty Center Museum in West LA. It's beautiful, and well worth the trip.

The Getty is great to visit but it's quirky.

You must reserve tickets in advance. You cannot just show up. Not only that, you have to know when you are coming.

I count 11 in the OP's group. Groups of 9 or more cannot make Getty reservations online. You have to call (310) 440-7300.

It's worth the extra trouble.

tod
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
The Getty is great to visit but it's quirky.

You must reserve tickets in advance. You cannot just show up. Not only that, you have to know when you are coming.

I count 11 in the OP's group. Groups of 9 or more cannot make Getty reservations online. You have to call (310) 440-7300.

It's worth the extra trouble.

The Getty Center has free admission, and according to their FAQ (http://www.getty.edu/visit/hours/faq.html), they used to require parking reservations, but they don't any more. First come, first served, bring $7 cash. (They make an exception for groups of 15 or more motorcycles: They have to make a parking reservation and pay $7 per parking space, which accommodates two motorcycles.) You can take the bus or be dropped off if you don't have a car and want to go anyway.

--t

12-08-2005, 12:20 PM
they used to require parking reservations, but they don't any more.

Just to clarify: The Getty is at the top of a hill. Parking is at the bottom. The museum runs a shuttle up the hill.

Edited to add: And to be crystal clear, it's the Getty Villa, Malibu I'm talking about with the reservations.

WITron
12-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Also right in Hollywood is the Pantages Theatre that Disney owns. It's quite beautiful. It would cost the amount of a movie ticket. They only show one movie at a time, so I'm not sure what will be showing in May, but the selction is always Disney. They rotate between new and previous releases. Once my DH and I were walking by, kinda looking in, and CM asked if we wanted a tour! So he let us in and gave a us a little tour and some history of the theatre for free! There was a movie in progress, so we couldn't go inside, but he let us take a quick peak through the curtain. If you go see Grauman's Chinese theatre, then Pantages is literally across the street. :)

I knoe this is probably nitpicky, but the theate is the El Capitan. The Pantages is further down and usually has live theatre and not movies.

The Mouse Is Back
12-13-2005, 08:39 AM
The "classic" Griffith Observatory is closed until sometime next year, but there is a satellite facility nearby where they are screening new shows. There is a telescope there for night time viewing.

There is also a lot of info there on the new construction going on at the main observatory, history about it, and some items that have been moved temporarily. So it's still worth a little trek up there. I've heard it's enjoyable, but if your heart was set on the big one it might not be that great.