PDA

View Full Version : unanswerable DL question...

skeleton@thewheel
03-13-2002, 06:41 AM
I really guess I just don't get it?

what is really going on with DL? how can Disney "afford" to build the new sites in other countries and let the ORIGINAL stagnate?

I really enjoy AL's updates and unfortunately end up with a sour taste.... I still LOVE Disneyland but it's getting to the point where the magic is starting to fade........

we should be the benchmark for the other parks right?

:confused:

DZNEENUT
03-13-2002, 08:40 AM
I totally understand your feelings. But I will tell you that reading these pages and Al's updates is part of the cause of your sadness. It took me quite a long time to get beyond the negative slant that is over represented in the on-line community.

Yes Disneyland needs help but it's not going to hell in a handbasket.

Disney can expand because other people are putting up the money in the other countries. I think it's great. Maybe the original may not be the flagship for everything new, but I think it might be nice to get the next generation of improved rides for a change.

Next time you go, take a child or someone new and look through their eyes instead of the eyes of people jaded by their involvement with the company. When you look too closely at ANY human creation or group, it starts to lose its illusion of perfection.

Spend more time watching the smiles on children's faces than seeing if the manhole covers were put back exactly right to match the themed ground.

disneyhead
03-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Excellent point DZNEENUT. My wife and I are WDW veterans and had never been to DLR until this past May. It was my 5 year old's first Disney park experience. Seeing the park through her eyes was a beautiful thing. She didn't notice the peeling paint or any of the other maintenance problems. Except when we rode Space Mountain for the third time the music wasn't working and she broke down in tears. Darn we had to ride again to get the full experience. Sometime Disney can't win for losing, People scream like hyenas about lack of maintenance, then when they do the stuff people complain about attraction closures. Yes, it would have been nice if it had never gotten into such sad shape, but at least they are doing a lot now to correct the problems. I do feel sorry for the one day guests that show up and find so much closed, but it is the off season, and the attraction closures are posted outside for everyone to see before you buy tickets. As far as the vacationers, most of the rehab schedule is posted on the web site; a little research on their part could help. Also it would help if Central Reservations would run down the list when making reservations, but that would deter paying customers, so I don't expect to this happen any time soon. All in all it is still one of the cleanest, most beautiful parks in the world.

justagrrl
03-13-2002, 09:49 AM
I certainly have to agree - people just love to complain. And I'm a big complainer about pretty much everything...so I should be one that's right there too. And I have complained about some things too - both online and in person at Disneyland guest services.

When you are there and the kids are having fun - none of it matters.

My son loves Casey Jr...talking about it even when not at the park. Does he see the scratches down the side of the main car? Not even... he sees "his train" in all it's glory.
Does he notice that the dino's on the steam train aren't all working? Not at all - he'll ride that train over and over (yeah - he likes trains).

Does that excuse Disneyland from doing maintenance? Of course not. It's in everyone's best interests to...

I think "we" - ("we" being the online community of complainers) should accept it - right letters when something is a big enough deal (to you) to do so - and just grin and bear it through the rest. After all - no one is making you go. And if you don't like it enough - put your money where you mouth is (and spend it elsewhere.)

Then again, as I said, I am a big complainer so maybe I should take my own advice. ;)

Iceman
03-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by DZNEENUT
I totally understand your feelings. But I will tell you that reading these pages and Al's updates is part of the cause of your sadness. It took me quite a long time to get beyond the negative slant that is over represented in the on-line community.

And here I thought I was the only one! When I first discovered MousePlanet, I was ecstatic for the first couple of days. "Wow!" I thought, "There's so much Disney information here! What a bunch of real fanatics!" Then I started to realize how much negative energy is here, especially in the DIG, and I got upset. I even posted a few mean and nasty messages to the effect of, "If you hate Disney so much, then leave." Finally I realized that there are a lot of wonderful people here at the MousePad and I read the other articles with a grain (sometimes a heaping spoonful) of salt. Some of the authors just like to bring attention to themselves by being as down on Disney as possible. If it makes them happy to bitñh and moan, so be it. I just try to maintain my positive outlook on things while at the same time always looking for ways for Disney to continue to improve. The only time it still bothers me is when someone new to the Disney experience comes along and gets soured before they even have a chance to experience the magic, but it makes me feel better to know that there are others here who have gone through the same thought process and came to the same conclusions as me!

skeleton@thewheel
03-13-2002, 12:16 PM
hey everyone....

I'm better now. LOL.....

I see everyone's points and do agree, it is fun to notice the other things in the park. I do not have kids (that I know of.....JK) but cherish the memories of when I was very young and my parents used to take me every summer.... the park was magical and for the most part still is, but I guess when you get older you tend to get lost in the moment.

I was amazed to see the Disney Sea pics posted last year and could not believe what they were doing over there.... I hoped that the new ideas, progression, and spending would spread over here.... oops!

I like to think that it will in time, but having most of the e-tickets down a few weeks ago and the DIG just got to me.

only positive posts from now on!

promise.

;)

Iceman
03-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Well, I'm not trying to say that people can't express their views, even their rabidly negative ones. If all we did here was smile at each other and mindlessly drone on about how perfect things are, it would be pretty boring and unproductive. I will be one of the first to stand up and point out ways that I think Disney is falling short of their ideals. I just think there is a constructive way to do it that involves not looking at every situation through a filter of cynicism. :)

Uncle Dick
03-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by disneyhead
People scream like hyenas about lack of maintenance, then when they do the stuff people complain about attraction closures.
Yes, but I don't think the same people complain about the same things. The way I see it, frequent visitors complain a lot about maintenance (because they can ride closed attractions some other time) while the occasional tourist is just looking to ride all of the great offerings at Disneyland, without much regard for the actual condition of the ride. Both arguments are valid, IMHO, but there has to be a balance between closure and lack of maintenance.

ishkabibble
03-13-2002, 03:26 PM
Anyone whining about the deplorable state of the park should have seen it in ‘55 when it more closely resembled a circus carnival. Asphalt pathways and chain link fences with little ticket booths in front of every attraction…

Today it is a hundred-fold better my friends.

skeleton@thewheel
03-14-2002, 06:08 AM
Does that excuse Disneyland from doing maintenance? Of course not. It's in everyone's best interests to...

I think "we" - ("we" being the online community of complainers) should accept it - right letters when something is a big enough deal (to you) to do so - and just grin and bear it through the rest. After all - no one is making you go. And if you don't like it enough - put your money where you mouth is (and spend it elsewhere.)

my post had nothing to do with maintenance issues... I'm all for it since if they have no plans to add new rides then by all means, please keep up the ones in place!

as for putting my money where my mouth is, well, my hard earned money already went to Disney when I bought my AP!

all I meant was to voice was my frustration with people who share my love for DL, and see if I was the only one and to just try to understand why millions of dollars are pouring out overseas and nothing spent to really wow us here since what? Soaring Over Cal?

my jaw literally dropped when I first saw those pics of Disney Sea and at the time thought, "I cannot wait to see what they are going to do here!!" ............well.................................. ..

anyway, I re-read the posts here and just wanted to clarify that I did not have any problem with the maintenance of the rides.

*stepping of the soapbox*

:D

MonorailMan
03-14-2002, 07:24 AM

Now I will say I'm a person who, "takes it as it is", but I was very mad to hear that in my whole AP period that Splash will be closed. Also with many other rides closed now, my first few trips to the DLR will be to DCA not DL, even though I'll still pop into DL, DCA will get most of my time for the first 2 months. :)

Now I will also say that, just like all the little kids, I get so caught up in the "Magic", that many little things just fly away in my brain, I think that will change since I'm going more often. :)

TecTalker2K
03-14-2002, 12:06 PM
I have no problem with money being spent in Paris, Japan and Hong Kong, these all came from oputside investment. I do remember and I am still ****ed about the building of WDW. Disneyland supported that park for at least a decade. Park after park, hotel after hotel. Damn, they even built a race track there. Finally, Disney gets around to building Westcot, a true destination spot. Wait, wait... we are talking California.. let's build something tacky and cheap. Do I think we are getting screwed? You betcha but it isn't something that happened over night.

Right now I am sick... I plan on getting better and I hope they figure out what is going on soon. When I finally do get that clean bill of health, Damnit, I want to go to Disneyland. After waiting for so long, I don't want to plan on going when everything in the park is down. Personaly, I am not supprised at the closures.. good way to get people into DCA. BTW, we do need DIG. Al is not afraid to give us the good and bad. If you don't realize, this is what keeps people honest.