PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Haunted Mansion Holiday?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mi_mous
11-02-2005, 03:44 PM
OK, I LOVE what they do to the Haunted Mansion at this time of year, but some people really despise it. Why??
I have heard more complaints about it this year, and I am wondering why people don't like it. Well, I have only heard 2 complaints, but to me, that is a lot, since I had NEVER heard of anyone complaining about it.
First time, it was a lady at Legoland. She had just gotten back from Disneyland, and she was talking about how great it was, but then she said, "Oh, they must get a lot of complaints about the Haunted Mansion being decorated the way it is!" Almost in a way that she was complaining about it as well. The second was on trip advisor. This lady was ripping on it and talking about how much it sucked, and she had extended her trip to see the Haunted Mansion when they opened it again, and how much she hated it.

Anyone on here really not like it?

I really had no interest in the Nightmare Before Christmas movie until I went into the Haunted Mansion. I had never seen the movie until I had done the HMH. I still thought it was really cute, even though I didn't understand half of it.

I don't know, I guess you can't please all people, right?

nojarama
11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
I love both the HM and HMH. I actually think, for kids, HMH is more fun (and not as scary). Smaller children will be more at ease with the HMH theme (at least my nices & nephew were/are). I personally thought the idea was genius myself. Can't wait to see it again next year!

Regarsdarama,

Jon

.................................................. ...................................

Jon A. Leslie
nojarama
noj@west.net
http://www.nojarama.com
http:/www.myspace.com/nojarama

kohl
11-02-2005, 04:30 PM
At the Holiday's, this is our family's favorite ride!

mariogarza
11-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Ohhh I can't wait...December please come fast!
This will be my first time on the Holidays and I'm REALLY looking forward to HMH!!!

TDBearGrrl
11-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Absolutely Nothing!!!

However, this is the opinion of someone who goes to the park 2 or 3 time a month at a minimum. If someone was coming to the park for their once every 3 years trip - I can see where they would be upset at not seeing the 'traditional' attraction. But, that is the chance you take. Some attractions get overlays, some attractions get refurbed.

Opus1guy
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I like 'em both. Steve Davidson knows how to give an attraction a "make-over" while still holding true to the original in quality, theming with depth, and Disney magic. IMHO.

Wish they'd let him make-over California Adventure!

disneyhound
11-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I'll tell you after we go this January for the first time ever!!!

krispin41
11-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I thought it was well done. Granted, before my trip two weeks ago, I hadn't been since 1991. I thought the outside of the house fabulous! My two friends thought it was cute but preferred the "traditional" HM, but liked HMH for what it was, a seasonal interlude.

rudekick
11-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Absolutely Nothing!!!

However, this is the opinion of someone who goes to the park 2 or 3 time a month at a minimum. If someone was coming to the park for their once every 3 years trip - I can see where they would be upset at not seeing the 'traditional' attraction. But, that is the chance you take. Some attractions get overlays, some attractions get refurbed.
Exactly. This is why I HATE HMH. I love the HM - it's my favorite ride. Unfortunately, I live far away and generally only go to Disneyland during the holidays to visit my family. I actually think HMH is well done, but to me it's the reason why I can't see my beloved attraction...so I HATE it :(

hlbtimes2
11-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I dont dislike it, but I like the original better. And, part of that might be because its been years since I've seen the original! The last time I was there when it was normal was May 2000.

JookyG
11-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Exactly. This is why I HATE HMH. I love the HM - it's my favorite ride. Unfortunately, I live far away and generally only go to Disneyland during the holidays to visit my family. I actually think HMH is well done, but to me it's the reason why I can't see my beloved attraction...so I HATE it :(

Shouldn't you be blaming Disney management and not the ride? You say it's well done but you hate it. It's not the ride's fault.

Gandalf
11-02-2005, 07:44 PM
We like both the traditional Mansion and HMH. It's almost like getting an extra attraction during the Holidays. When my son was there during the Halloween Event someone had said this might be the last year for it to be open (hope not). One of his friends had never been, but the first thing he said was maybe the new management doesn't want the type of people it brings in (one of his buddies is Goth and goes every year).

WITron
11-02-2005, 08:53 PM
The reason that I heard had nothing to do with management, but with Tim Burton and the merchandising of Nightmare.

tink360
11-02-2005, 09:35 PM
I love HMH, maybe even more than regular HM. Hope it's just an unfounded rumor about this being the last year for the overlay, I'd be devastated!

TowerofTerror
11-02-2005, 09:38 PM
I love Haunted MANSION Holiday AT Disneyland.

Disneyfreak
11-03-2005, 12:23 AM
I dont like the holiday version because the quality factor isnt as high as the original version. The HMH was fine the first two or so years when they added something new and they had fog in the queue line. But now it is just boring.

hippiemama
11-03-2005, 04:23 AM
we visited haunted mantion last trip and loved it. But i cannot WAIT to see hmh because we're such huge fans of the movie NMBC (my two year old sleelps with his jack doll lol).
But i'm guessing for those who don't like or haven't seen the movie, they'd not like the overlay

omg. ill be there tomorrow!!!!

disneygirl76
11-03-2005, 06:11 AM
I actually LOVE it. When we go to Disneyland during the holidays, it's my favorite ride. Can't wait to see it in two weeks. :)

stan4d_steph
11-03-2005, 06:44 AM
I like HMH, and the original has benefitted greatly from its installation. They upgraded all the audio and did some much-needed maintenance when the imagineers realized that the existing structure was inadequate for HMH's needs.

annieb727
11-03-2005, 06:58 AM
well, we saw HMH for the first time when we went to DL in October (our first trip to DL since dh joined the military and moved us to Alabama 4 years ago[however we DID get to visit WDW once while we lived there])...

anyway, we didn't care too much for it...though we have never seen the movie.

We're going back for our five year anniversary in December, so we plan to see the movie and then go back and see HMH...I'll let you know if my feelings change after I've seen the movie...

tod
11-03-2005, 07:06 AM
It not only craps up a classic attraction, but it brings scores of goth weirdos out from under their rocks to make a nonstop parade from the Haunted Mansion exit to the entrance and turn New Orleans Square into Anne Rice Land. And every time I see "HMH" I think they mean "Hugh M. Hefner" and I cliick on the link and there's another thread drooling over this thing I don't like much anyway.

Then agan, maybe I'm just bitter that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire -- Play It! was closed down, so, as a game show fan, I've been disenfranchised. but the goth contingent gets catered to with an overlay on a classic attraction that lasts the better part of two months every year and a year-round store.

--t

Maus
11-03-2005, 07:28 AM
I love the classic HM. I DO NOT like the HMH. Saw the movie--it was okay. Each year I do HMH once to see if I've changed my mind but I haven't. This year I'm gonna skip it. I can understand why they do it--it's a much cheaper alternative way to add a new attraction--just not my cup of tea.

Neon Cactus
11-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I love the holiday version and I'm not remotely a Goth (I don't have enough hair left to bother dyeing it black :D ). It's different and the way they've incorporated it into the ride is well done. I like the regular HM ride also, but I always enjoy whichever version happens to be running while I'm there.

geoffa
11-03-2005, 09:25 AM
I love the classic HM. I DO NOT like the HMH. Saw the movie--it was okay. Each year I do HMH once to see if I've changed my mind but I haven't. This year I'm gonna skip it. I can understand why they do it--it's a much cheaper alternative way to add a new attraction--just not my cup of tea.

Ya can't please all of the people all of the time. I liked the makeover. A nice change and great to see a moving figure of Jack Skellington. The singing pumpkins were awesome. You'll always get people who don't like change. It's not as if it is permanent so for those who go again and again it shouldn't be a problem. Do people have a problem with It's a small world's holiday makeover?:)

nojarama
11-03-2005, 09:38 AM
The "goth weirdos" would come regardless of the HMH overlay. We "goth weirdos" (I don't have black hair, but I do wear make-up, wear black clothing on occasion and appreciate a good Bauhaus album) appreciate all that is strange & unusual (even on the other rides in the park). If you're harboring resentment for those who can be "themselves" regardless of ridicule, then you might re-think patronizing a company that encourages us all to be "ourselves". Don't judge a book by it's cover! I don't judge those who prefer to wear Dockers & polo shirts, so don't judge those who wear Docs and may/ may not have things pierced or painted that you, yourself, may not "fancy"...

Regardsarama,

Jon