PDA

View Full Version : Which tour: Walk in Walt's Footsteps, 50th Anniversary or Christmas?

emmah
10-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi all, I'm hoping for some advice. I have never been on a tour at DL before and I have only ever been in the off-off season. This trip (Nov 29 - Dec 4) I will be around on the weekend, and from everything I have read it will be super busy from friday afternoon on. So I am hoping for Fantasmic seating for either the fri or sat night, and am planning to go on a tour on the other night - so as to have some fun but not be overwhelmed by the crowds and the queues. So, my question is, what is the best tour for a tour-neophyte, and why? thanks! :)

Leash81
10-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi all, I'm hoping for some advice. I have never been on a tour at DL before and I have only ever been in the off-off season. This trip (Nov 29 - Dec 4) I will be around on the weekend, and from everything I have read it will be super busy from friday afternoon on. So I am hoping for Fantasmic seating for either the fri or sat night, and am planning to go on a tour on the other night - so as to have some fun but not be overwhelmed by the crowds and the queues. So, my question is, what is the best tour for a tour-neophyte, and why? thanks! :)

Well I just did the WiWF tour with my fiance and we really enjoyed it. There were a lot of good stories about Walt and the building of Disneyland, I think I am fairly knowledgeable about that sort of thing but I still learned a few things, so if that sort of thing intrests you I would reccomend it.

Niwel
10-31-2005, 09:40 PM
*Walk in Walt's (http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue/sk021113.htm) gets you really cool behind the scenes info, a trip to the lobby of Club 33 and lunch. Plus a neat collector pin.
*50th tour ( http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=760537) gets you on five attractions or three attractions plus VIP seats/spot for either fireworks or the parade and a snack. Plus the E-ticket book and a light-up pin
*Holiday Time (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031211sl.htm) tour gets you on Nightmare Before Xmas Hanuted Mansion, Small World Holiday, the Train and VIP seats for the Xmas parade -- plus a snack. And you get a tour tag/ornament and collector's mug.

Walk in Walts has no "expiration date"; the 50th tour is only for the duration of the 50th (so it ends at the end of 2006); holiday tour is only mid-November thru December. Walk in Walt's is for the true Walt lover; Holiday Tour is for the whimsical and jolly; the 50th Tour is a celebration of memories.

I've done all three -- but I've done the Holiday one every year for the past three years. Don't know if any of that helped in your decision, but regardless, you will have a good time.

emmah
11-01-2005, 01:18 AM
I've done all three -- but I've done the Holiday one every year for the past three years. Don't know if any of that helped in your decision, but regardless, you will have a good time.thanks! now i want to do all three. would that be wrong? (grin!).:D

ozbeauticn
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM
I've also done all three tours. They each have their advantages, but also disadvantages. The 50th tour left me feeling a bit ripped off... the seats for fireworks are not worth $50 in my opinion, but neither was the tour. The Christmas tour was nice, but was not specifically DL oriented. It told a lot about the decorations and various holiday celebrations from other cultures. I'd have to say the Walk in Walts Footsteps was my favorite tour. However, it seems like it changes very often. When I took it the Tiki Room, train, and Gallery were all closed so we did other things to make up for it. I'm not sure what the "normal" tour is like. SO maybe that didnt help at all, I think I'm a little bit prejudice against the 50th tour...

emmah
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
thanks for that imput!

can anyone tell me what time the WiWF tour is? i had a feeling that it happens first thing in the morning - is that right? if so, that would be a mark against it, because I like to run around and get all my favorite rides done early in the morning. I was thinking about a tour for late afternoon/evening as a way of getting around the weekend crowds - but because the fireworks and parades are on all week and I am planning to watch them during midweek when (hopefully) the crowds will be more manageable, I am not thinking about priority seats for the fireworks or the parades as being especially important. From what everyone has said, WiWF seems like the better tour, so if it runs first thing in the morning, I guess it depends on whether I have had enough of my favorite rides by the weekend... thanks again for the info.:)

cstephens
11-01-2005, 04:36 PM
There is a 9am tour for Walk in Walt's Footsteps, and some days, there's an afternoon tour that starts around 2:30pm. You'd have to call to ask if the afternoon tour is running on a particular day.

I've not done the holiday tour, but I enjoyed the 50th tour when we took it in May, and I enjoyed the Walt's tour which we recently took for the second time.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Typically, on days when there's adequate traffic, they have two Walt's Footsteps tours, one starting fairly early, and the other starting in the late morning (witht the catered "lunch" at the end of the tour falling in the middle of the afternoon).

And basically, it's the tour for Disney geeks. And having taken it ever year since its inception, I've watched it evolve.

TDBearGrrl
11-01-2005, 06:52 PM
The quality of the tour is entirely dependent on the quality of the tour guide...

audibleatom
11-02-2005, 12:31 PM
how about prices for each?? and do you get tix at city hall??

Niwel
11-02-2005, 12:34 PM
You can order the tickets in advance and pick them up at the windows near the Disneyland park entrance or you can buy them day of at the Tour Gardens.

50th tour is $50-something as is WiWF... Xmas tour is $40-something.

JookyG
11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know where the fireworks priority seating included with the 50th Anniversary tour will be moved after the Christmas tree is installed? Since the tree will squarely block the view of the castle from the station platform, surely the seating area will have to be moved. Maybe closer to the hub???

cstephens
11-02-2005, 02:30 PM
how about prices for each?? and do you get tix at city hall??

Actually, you get get tickets either by calling the tour reservations phone number or getting them in person at the Guided Tours building next to City Hall which was opened earlier this year.

When we took the tour, the 50th was $50, I believe, and the regular price of the Walt's Footsteps tour is $49, but both times that we've taken it, there was a discount running so we paid $39.

Niwel
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
According to the AP site:

In 1955, Walt Disney began the tradition of celebrating the holidays in a truly unique fashion. In that spirit, we invite you to take the "Holiday Time at Disneyland®" Tour. All of the magic of the holiday season comes to life as you explore a magical winter wonderland at The Merriest Place on Earth.

From 11/18/05 - 12/11/05, Annual Passholders enjoy a special price of $39.00, which includes:
- Express boarding onto "it's a small world" holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday
- A Tour Exclusive cloisonné pin
- Reserved viewing for a Christmas Fantasy Parade -- plus a sweet holiday treat!

Availability is limited, so please call 714-781-4400 to reserve your tour.

*$10 discount per ticket off regular price. Limit 5 discounted tickets per tour date. Discount valid only for the "Holiday Time at Disneyland®Guided Tour' from 11/18/05 -through 12/11/2005. Restrictions apply. Advance reservations recommended an may be made up to 30 days prior to arrival. Subject to availability and operating hours. Theme park admission not included and must be purchased separately. Valid Annual Passport required at time of purchase. Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial purposes. Offers may not be combined with any other offers, discounts or promotions. All offers, events, tickets, age ranges, services, food options, attractions and entertainment may be seasonal and are subject to restrictions and change without notice.

SandraVB79
11-04-2005, 01:47 AM
If you want to do the Walk in walt's footsteps-tour, you better make reservations in advance, because the tour is booked up for many dates!!!

gothemi
11-04-2005, 09:09 AM
I am planning on doing the 50th tour this year as it is only for a limited time. I have already done the WiWF tour and really liked that. Plus the food was great.

Does anybody know the policy on if a tour is cancelled? Like if it rains, or if the fireworks and/or parade are cancelled?