PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 10/27-10/30

jrad32
10-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Just got back Sunday from a three night stay at the Grand Californian.

Me: 30-year-old with more than 25 DL visits and 1 WDW visit
Wife: 30, four months pregnant more than 10 DL visits, 1 WDW visit and a Disney fanatic.

Trip background: My wife always wanted to stay at the Grand Californian, and with the baby coming it would probably be a while before we get back to DL, so I surprised her with the trip.

Thursday, Oct. 27 - After a quick trip to the doctor's office for an ultrasound (pretty cool seeing your kid moving around in there. This is our first child.) we were on our way from Las Vegas to DL. Uneventful drive. We arrived at the Grand Californian around 6:30 p.m. My wife was very excited when the cast member at the gate new our names and was expecting us. We valeted and checked in. We'd walked through the lobby before on previous trips, but my wife was pretty much shaking with excitement to be there. We were upgraded to a pool view, and when we got to our room we could see California Screamin' complete with a jack o' lantern protected in the middle of the mickey head for Halloween. The room was very nice with a king bed and a seating area with pull out couch. Was it worth the high cost? Not in terms of the room itself, but the location especially with a pregnant wife made it more than worth it.

We headed out to downtown disney to get some food, and went to Ralph Brennans. It looked crowded but we were seated immediatley in the room with the jazz band playing, which was cool and relaxing after the drive. I had the Tournados of Beef with crawfish mashed potatoes and greenbeans with bacon and pecans. The wife had shrimp fettuchinni. Everything was really good. Total bill with tip was $45. During dinner a family of four was seated next to us and a young boy, about 10, spilled his coke all over the table. Servers quickly helped out and we gave him a fresh chair from our table. The parents did a really good job and didn't get cross or anything. This was the first of many times we found ourselves paying attention to families and parents as we get ready to have our own baby.

Friday, Oct. 28 - We got a quick b-fast at Whitewater snacks, a roll and an OJ, $6, and headed into DL. We made it to Main Street about 8:45 a.m. and rope drop was at 9 a.m. Since my wife is pregnant we decided to start in Fantasyland for a change instead of our usual Indy, Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Big Thunder game plan. We rode Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Alice, Storybook land boats and Casey Jr. with no waits. I don't get people who don't get to DL when it opens. This is the best time of day with the shortest lines. Then I went on Matterhorn, while my wife looked in the Mad Hatter. From there we headed around the back of Fantasyland and rode the Mark Twain on it's maiden voyage of the day. We sat up front on the chairs, and next to us was a family with three young boys, the four year old sat right next to me. As we went around the island the mom was kind enough to answer questions about what ages kids are ready for DL and what can be expected at different ages. As we were passing Pirates a cute little girl on shore, must have been 3 or so, started waving at the boat, and we all waived back except for the 4-year-old boy seated next to me. I said, "don't wave to girls huh?" He said, "Nope, I don't like girls." I told him he probably would someday and got a wrinkled nose out of it.

Then we went over to Splash and I rode single rider, which was a real time saver, while my wife looked in the Pooh store. We hit the Jungle Boat, loved the new effects including the Piranna and explosions. Then we headed over a little early to our priority seating at Blue Bayou. I had the Monte Cristo and Clam Chowder, while my wife had chowder and a salad. It was about $40. Next we took the train around to Main Street and hit the 50th movie, which was very good. Then we looked around the shops on main street, and headed out of the park for an afternoon break. We stopped at World of Disney and looked, and then went to the candy shop in DTD and got a couple of mouseear sugar cookies. We went upstairs and my wife took a short nap while I went down to the pool. It was heated and very refreshing.

We headed over to Hook's Pointe at the DLH for dinner around 5:30 p.m. I had the salmon and garlic mashed potatos, My wife had the scallops and rissoto. Again meal was about $45 with tip. It was good food and a quiet relaxed atmosphere. We especially liked the map of Neverland painted on the ceiling. The menu was a little short on entree choices, but what we had was good. We stopped by Compass Books and bought Mouse Tales. A great read so far!

We headed back to DL and rode Buzz Lightyear, About a 20 minute wait. Then we looked in Star Traders and waited a few minutes for the Parde of Dreams to clear out. We then found a spot for the fireworks about 7:30 p.m. Our spot was in the hub right next to the Minnie statute. We were next to an AP who had seen the show more than 50 times. The crowds started to get tight, and I was amazed at the number of people crowding in, but we passed the time chatting with the people around us. The fireworks were AWESOME. Best fireworks I've ever seen. So yes the crowds are bad, but the fireworks are worth it. A must see.

Saturday, Oct. 29 - Got up and headed into DL for the 8 a.m. opening. Hit Indy for a fast pass and went on Pirates and Haunted Mansion, before heading to the River Belle. My wife had never been to the River Belle and she loved her Mickey pancakes. Then I used my fast pass on Indy. We headed to DCA and got fast passes for Soarin. We then went over to the animation building and did the Beast library wife was Cinderella her favorite character, I was Flick. We looked in Page after Page and the toy shop. The DL Magic Kingdom Board game looked awesome, and we would have bought it except that they were sold out. Anyone have this? Is it fun?

Then we went on Soarin' great as usual and then headed back into the Grand Californian. We shared a Mickey Pretzel poolside, before jumping in the car and heading to the beach. We went to Newport and Laguna, and then headed up to Irvine for a late lunch at the Fish Market. THen it was back to DL. We headed back in around 6 p.m. and rode Snow White and Pinochio with about 10 minute waits. Then I got a fastpass for Big Thunder and we went to Critter Country and rode Pooh. Then we stopped in at the Hungary Bar for a quick dinner, Bacon Burger, chicken nuggets. $18. A cast member at the Hungary Bear was asking kids Disney Trivia questions for Lollypops, and my wife helped on youngster win one by telling him that Sleeping Beauty's father dreams about grandchildren in the movie. All the cast members at Hungary Bear were in great spirits and seemed to be having a great time. It was good to see. We ate in the back of the restaurant and it was nice and quiet. It was cool to see cast members down on the rivers of America setting up for Fantasmic. Then we headed back and I rode Big Thunder.

Next it was time for my surprise I took my wife to look inside the Disney Gallery and suprised her with Fantasmic balcony seating. We'd never done this before but it was great. Along with the fireworks this was a highlight. You could see perfectly and the deserts were fabulous. We had benights (sorry I can't spell), eclairs, and the best macaroon I've ever had. My wife had a hot chocolate which she lover. I'm sure the baby was doing cartwheels with all the sugar. Then we got to stay and watch the fireworks from the balcony as well. Now I've spoiled us, and we'll probably always want to watch Fantasmic from these prized seats. If you can afford it for a special occasion I highly recommend these seats.

Finally we rode the railroad back to the exit at Main Street, and we headed home the next morning.

Things we missed - Didn't go on Space Mountain, but we'll catch it next time when my wife can go. Small World was down for the holiday overlay, and we didn't make it to Toon Town.

Things we didn't miss - DCA. We went on Soarin and never even went around to the ugly Paradise Pier section of the park which was nice. I'm not a Tower of Terror fan, and again my wife couldn't ride so that was cool that we skipped that. We'd seen Aladdin and Tough to be a Bug so we didn't need to do thiose again either.

Souviners - My wife got a 50th shirt, a 50th antenna ball, the 50th CD, the 50th book (very nice with good history) a Cinderella ceramic figurine, and two Pooh baby outfits.

Overall - It was a great trip and very relaxing, which is what we were looking for. Next time we come it will be with a little one in tow. Thanks for reading.

nvmom
10-31-2005, 11:57 AM
Great report!! Thanks so much and congrats on your upcoming bundle of joy. :)

nvmom

jrad32
10-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks NVmom. It was a good trip.:)

ghoofie
10-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Hurray !! A great TR.
And congrats on the 'blessed event'.
Bet you're already planning your first
trip with the baby. :fez:

rentayenta
10-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Awesome report. Thank you for sharing! :)

Crazy4DL
10-31-2005, 06:39 PM
That was a delightful trip report!!! Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your little one. :)

IcDkRy16
10-31-2005, 06:59 PM
I loved reading your trip report, it sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. I bet you can't wait to take the baby to Disneyland!

Pirate Princess
10-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Great trip report! Thank you! Quick question though... what did you have at Hungry Bear? I haven’t eaten there since I was a child and I don’t even remember what it looks like on the inside. Was it any good?
As far as the DL Magic Kingdom Game goes, I don’t know if it is any fun but I bought one for my son for Christmas. I bought mine at Toys R Us a couple weeks ago when they were doing “buy one get one free” on all of their games. You can also get it online through their website.
Well, thank you for letting us all live through your trip!
H

twist1980
10-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Great trip report! Quick question though... what did you have at Hungry Bear? I haven’t eaten there since I was a child and I don’t even remember what it looks like on the inside. Was it any good?
H

Sorry to jump in on this, but Hungry Bear is one of my favorite places to eat. It is very inexpensive and you usually get your food very quickly. They have burgers, chicken burgers all that sort of fare. But the seating is one of the best things. It is two levels and its usually not too crowded and a nice cool place to rest your tired feet and have a meal.

I've always thought the burgers were delicious (or maybe we are just starving by the time we get there) and its always a must eat place for us. :D

I also experienced some of the best customer service ever there. My niece (three or four at the time) dropped her meal on the ground and started crying. The next thing we knew a cast member had another meal for her.

kohl
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the report. My kids and I were there the exact same days. We didn't get to stay at the GCH this trip, but we did go to Mickey's Halloween party which was a blast!
Good luck to you and your wife with your baby.

Warped Reality
11-02-2005, 05:27 AM
I actually just got back from my trip from the 26th - 29th and I had a chance to eat at the Hungry Bear. I had fond memories of eating there and remembered the great view of the water and the Mark Twain going by while you ate. Well... the view was still good, and tons of ducks to feed still, but the food in my opinion was terrible. My wife had a cheesburger with fries, and I had the same thing with bacon. Both burgers had a ton of gristle or fat in them and it really ruined it to be honest. The bacon.. well it was good but I only ate half of it since the 2 stray calico looking cats on the second story were so good at begging they got half of the bacon from me. hahaha

BTW I saw one orange tabby looking cat (really healthy) right by the Matterhorn, and the two calico (brown, black, and tan fluffy) at Hungry Bear. If i lived closed I probably woudl have adopted a few new cats.. hahaha

So again.. food = bad (but cheap)
view = great!
Cats = will convince you to give up your bacon..

Matt

jrad32
11-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Well I had the bacon burger and it wasn't anything special, but it was not gristly and was edible. It was a little overcooked. My wife had the Mickey nuggets which she said were good. The fries were hot and we feed the ducks some of them.

Thanks for all the nice comments about our quick trip report. I'm glad so many are enjoying it.

TowerofTerror
11-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Awesome report thanks for the trip report. I love hearing about eveyone trips.

hippiemama
11-02-2005, 01:13 PM
great trip report!

Pirate Princess
11-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice on Hungary Bear!

MouseWife
11-02-2005, 02:52 PM
I enjoyed reading your report very much. :)

I loved reading it from a married couple {especially the hubby!} with no children enjoying the park from eyes that are anticipating their first child. :)

I loved that.

Also, I have to agree with one thing that you said:

How can people not go to the park when it opens??? I mean, yay for us that everyone doesn't :~D but we were at the park on 10/26 at the opening, not even rope dropping and there were no lines!! We walked right on to Indy, right on to Splash, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear.
I think the kids had a few minute wait on Big Thunder but I didn't ride it so I don't know. We finished up there by noon. This included two of the Frontierland shows {if anyone was there that day, last Wednesday, and saw the show where Sally wants to marry *doh* the fellow whose name I can't remember, I am the woman 'she' high fived}as well as shopping.

We went into DCA and the line for TOT was not long at all as our wait in the store {son and I did not ride} was maybe 10 minutes. Maybe.

So....what I am seeing from this thread, as well as the restaurant reviews, is that the end of October is a good time to go to Disneyland....;)