PDA

View Full Version : Monte Cristo - what's the deal?

Pages : [1] 2

potterphreak
10-30-2005, 04:45 PM
I am super skeptical about this sandwich. Sounds great until you add in the powdered sugar on top and then it just sounds scary. We are eating at the B.B. for the first time ever on our upcoming trip and I want to try this because I never have before and who knows if we will ever go again, but right now, I am just too chicken. Any advice/help?

mickeynminnie
10-30-2005, 04:51 PM
It's really just a dusting of powdered sugar. But the sandwich is divine! Try it. It is just to die for.

Monte Cristo
10-30-2005, 05:13 PM
As a sandwhich it's fairly simple:

Ham, swiss, turkey. It's encased in a pastry dough and then deep fried.

That's it.

It is DELICIOUS...and as greasy as you'd imagine. My advice is to order and share with someone. You WILL love it.

twist1980
10-30-2005, 05:22 PM
It does sound scary doesn't it? But it is quite delicious! If you are worried, have whoever is with you split the Monte Cristo and another meal with you. That way, if you don't like it, you'll still have half of a meal to eat! They are very rich and filling! You have to at least try it! :D

potterphreak
10-30-2005, 05:22 PM
What's this I have heard about jam on the side? This is getting super weird for picky ol me....

potzbie
10-30-2005, 05:24 PM
I am just too chicken. Any advice/help?

Chicken, eh?
Blown up head atop DCA, eh?

I am of the opinion that:
If you have fear in your heart,
then you will not enjoy your meal.
Therefore, I recommend that you do not order the Monte Cristo sandwich, but order the more conservative dishes.

I had the pork loins, my first time. (Good!)

Another time, I ordered their off-the-menu special of the day. (I do not remember what it was, but I think it was blackened catfish).

If you wish to try a genuine Monte Cristo sandwich, then I recommend that you try the sandwich elsewhere.
I recommend the Katella Deli (on Katella, west of DL, toward the 605 freeway).
KATELLA DELI is a traditional Jewish/New York style deli.
So its Monte Cristo sandwich (and its EGG CREAM and its CHOCOLATE PHOSPHATE) are the real thing, not a Disneyland-ish imitation.

I have not eaten at JAZZ KITCHEN in Downtown Disney, but their food selection will approximate New Orleans style food more so than BLUE BAYOU will, which must cater to unsophisticated palates, being a family restaurant serving more children than adults.
Thus, there will likely be compromises in BLUE BAYOU that are not made in an independent (non-Disney) restaurant.

Remember:
I am taking you at your word.
I trust that you are hesitatant to order strange new foods.
I am guessing that you want to try the sandwich for the sake of tasting the sandwich, as opposed to ordering the sandwich because it is the cheapest (excuse me, "most popular") item on the menu.

potterphreak
10-30-2005, 05:50 PM
I am interested in ordering it cos I LIKE weird food. But I am also SCARED of weird food, LOL. Especially when it comes at the price of *possibly* making me think badly of the BB. Red Robin is my ab-fab place to eat and my favorite thing to eat there, well, it took me 3 months to order it! (If you're curious, it's the hamburger with the fried egg on it-super yummy!) The whole sandwich sounds fab (come ON! what ISN'T better fried?!?!?!), but when you add the sweet to it, THAT creeps me out. Perhaps I can get the powdered sugar on the side? LOL

Thanks for your info guys! Keep it coming if you will. And I am not so interested in having an authentic MC, it's more like, trying something all of my fellow crazies (yeah, that's YOU, you crazy ol MousePadders, you!) SWEAR is super tasty.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
10-30-2005, 06:02 PM
The last time my wife and I ate at then BB in May we shared the Calamari appetizer, both of us had a Mardi Gras salad, shared a Monte Cristo, then shared a Creme Brulee to complete the lunch. It was perfect! Can't wait to do it again in December.:D

tink360
10-30-2005, 06:23 PM
The whole sandwich sounds fab (come ON! what ISN'T better fried?!?!?!), but when you add the sweet to it, THAT creeps me out. Perhaps I can get the powdered sugar on the side?

If you are a fan of fried food, esp. deep fried, then you may well like the Monte Cristo. The powdered sugar shouldn't be enough to put you off, like posted previously, it's just a dusting. The jam comes on the side, so if you don't think it adds anything then leave it off. This sandwich isn't for me, but it's an enormously popular item & it sounds like you want to try it.

TTFN92
10-30-2005, 07:04 PM
If you don't get it you will regret it. It is one meal. If you don't like it, oh well, you'll be happier that you tried it. I've never had it because we went at dinner time and they don't serve it then. I got their tri-tip which was good and their B.B. potatoes are excelent! And what better way to wash it down than with a mint julep, my favorite!

SuefromRI
10-30-2005, 07:11 PM
If you want to try the monte cristo I agree to share it. It is too much for one, but it's worth a try for the curiosity factor. Personally, I prefer when a monte cristo sandwich is made by dipping it in a french toast dip and grilled, rather than the heavy batter and deep fried. But still I say you should try it once.

MrsG
10-30-2005, 07:14 PM
We weren't sure of it either, so hubby ordered one and I ordered something "normal". Turns out neither of us cared for the Monte Cristo (just too greasy and soggy in our opinion). So for the first time, get just one for the table and have other things to eat, just in case. Give it a try; others think it is good.

hbquikcomjamesl
10-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Beats me. Never understood the appeal of such a concoction myself.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-30-2005, 11:20 PM
I HEART the Monte Cristo!!! I was scared too, last May, when I tried it the first time. I ended up having 3 during our 10 day stay at DL!!!! :D And, another 2 during our October 8 day trip to DL. I highly recommend it, and, if you hate it...they will give you something else. My hubby got a pork dish when we were there 2 weeks ago, and it was icky...so...they gave him something else. No problem! Give it a whirl...I think you will be hooked!!! :D

Laffite
10-30-2005, 11:56 PM
I found out that they have this sandwich at wholesfoodmarket. My life is complete.

truesally
10-31-2005, 08:11 AM
I had tried a Monte Cristo at a Rainforest Cafe-like restaurant years ago and was astounded at how much I loved the strange combination. However, I didn't touch the jelly then - but when we ordered one at BB, I dipped and was hooked. It's really a gotta-try-it-to-know-it food.

I was torn between getting the Monte Cristo & the crab cakes, so talked my husband into the crab and swore I'd share my sandwich :) (I did! It really is a decent size, plus filling).

ENJOY!

eryn
10-31-2005, 08:25 AM
I worked as a waitress/cook localy a few years ago and monte cristo was on our menu. Very easy to make although ours was diped in egg and put on the grill just like french toast. No sugar or jam with it. Very good and customers seemed to enjoy it. Then I heard about the one in DL. I decided to try. I personally didnt enjoy mine. WAY to greasy and soggy. I was upset, yes, but I am a firm beleiver in some days are better than others, so Im trying it again this next trip. Maybe Ill catch the cook on a GREAT day! Try not to get to worked up about it just in case your cook is having an 'off day'.
Good luck!

Mr.Bear
10-31-2005, 08:30 AM
The other night we made our own and first Monte Cristo sandwiches after finding the recipe on the "what to eat at the BB" thread. They were easy to make and GREAT. Now I can have them all the time and try something different at BB when we go. Can't wait to make them again. And the jam is great. Like cranberrys with Turkey.

DianeM
10-31-2005, 09:56 AM
If you like sweet, deep fried things, then the monte cristo is the ultimate sandwich experience. Between the jam and the powdered sugar, it's sort of like a crispy donut with meat and cheese in the middle. It's not for everybody, though. I tried it once as a child, and although I am a sweet toothed person, it was too sweet for me. I prefer my sandwiches savory. I haven't ordered it as an adult. I prefer some of the other options on the menu. The last time I went I had a calimari appetizer instead of a regular meal, and it was very good.

I am super skeptical about this sandwich.

smd4
10-31-2005, 10:02 AM
People, it's a sandwich. It's not pickled pigs feet or tripe or shrimp with the head still attached.

What the heck is there to be scared about?

DianeM
10-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Then by all means try it. I think everybody should try it once. Perhaps you could order one for the table, and split it up into pieces so everybody could try it? It won't actually hurt you, assuming you have a stomach that can handle greasy foods. Well, if you ate one every day you'd end up with arteries you could pave highways with, but as an occasional treat it's okay.

I am interested in ordering it cos I LIKE weird food. But I am also SCARED of weird food, LOL. .

10-31-2005, 10:07 AM
It won't actually hurt you

We have a new slogan!

The Blue Bayou Monte Cristo Sandwich ... It won't actually hurt you.

adriennek
10-31-2005, 10:09 AM
I would give my right arm for one right now.

You have no idea.

Adrienne

10-31-2005, 10:14 AM
I would give my right arm for one right now.

Naw, I'm kidnapping you. We're going someplace where they have a sommelier and they've never even heard of a monte cristo.

potterphreak
10-31-2005, 10:19 AM
All right, all right! I will try it!!! I can be brave!! LOL I think I might make it at home with the recipe provided in that other BB thread.
Thanks for your help "talking" me into it, everyone!