PDA

View Full Version : How Is This For A Prize?

olddumbguy
10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
My wife came home from work today with a prize (basicly its an employee of the month award)-

2 1-day park hopper tickets
400 Disney dollars
And supposedly also supposed to get a room at one of the resort hotels for a night.

If we do in fact get the room, we are going to upgrade to 2-day park hopper and buy my 4 year old daughter a tic, and have a blast.

I'm so excited. We live locally, but can only afford to go once a year, Feb. as a birthday present to me and my wife when we get our tax refund. Now we get to go during the holidays (never have before) and then go again in Feb.

PsychDoc
10-28-2005, 07:20 PM
That's so cool! It is a great gift; your wife must work for a good company. Have you taken your 4-year old yet? Has she gone at Christmas time before? It's really special. We like to take our family Christmas Card phots with Tigger or Pooh while we're there. We'll be there from Nov 17-20th for my 2 year old's birthday (turing 3). Have a great time.

olddumbguy
10-28-2005, 07:27 PM
We've taken our 4 year old the last 3 Febuarys since she was 1 1/2. She loves it, and so do we.

My wife is a sales assistant. Her boss won salesperson of the month and was kind enough to give the winnings to my wife. They have worked together over 10 years, and my wife works quite a bit harder then her boss, so it def. is deserved, but she could have kept it and said nothing to my wife.

Small World is closed until the 10th, to do the holiday overlay. We plan to go sometime after that. Any idea how busy it will be on Christmas Eve? I know Christmas day is really crowded, but Christmas eve is on a Saturday this year.

PsychDoc
10-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Probally crazy as well. I've never braved DL on any major holidays before. It kind of scares me with 2 kids and a stroller trying to maneuver around. We've gone on Mother's Day and Easter--both days not bad. Based on previous posts I think Chirstmas/Christmas Eve are usually packed. The best time to go is the 2 weeks after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. It's decorated, all the rides are working, later hours, but usually not as bad crowd-wise because most schools are still in. Although, because of the 50th, it's been unusually crowded even during "off" times. I just got back from a trip at the end of September and compared to last year it was considerably more crowded. I almost went for last New Year's but my friend cancelled out the last minute. I'm kind of glad because I heard it was freezing cold, raining and the park was at peak capacity. People were forced to wait outside of the gates until guests left before being allowed in. But, New Year's is usually worse than Chirstmas (based on posts).

olddumbguy
10-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the advise, Doc. I have no desire to deal with the crowds. We will likely go on weekdays, or maybe friday/saturday sometime after the 10th and before Thanksgiving.

Darkbeer
10-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Don't forget, you can also take the value of the ParkHopper and apply it to a SoCal AP, check with the Bank of Main Street while you are there for all the details.

Wendi
10-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Wow, that's a great prize!!! Congratulations to your wife!

Marox3
10-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Fabulous Prize. Your wife must have done a wonderful job and to be working for such a generous company. Kudos to her. Have a great time.

hlbtimes2
10-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Don't forget, you can also take the value of the ParkHopper and apply it to a SoCal AP, check with the Bank of Main Street while you are there for all the details.

That is what I was going to say too. Since you live locally and cant afford to go- use that $400 to upgread to a/p's- it will be the prize you get to enjoy for an entire year!

lisap
10-29-2005, 08:30 AM
That is what I was going to say too. Since you live locally and cant afford to go- use that $400 to upgread to a/p's- it will be the prize you get to enjoy for an entire year!

:) It's all decided--you must do this--then you won't have the pressure of enjoying everything in a short time period. Since you live locally, you'll have the luxury of short, relaxing trips all year. You must!

Think about it, anyway.;)

Crazy4DL
10-29-2005, 08:45 AM
What a great prize! Congrats to your wife! You all enjoy yourselves! :)

evrythngwmn
10-29-2005, 09:03 AM
:) It's all decided--you must do this--then you won't have the pressure of enjoying everything in a short time period. Since you live locally, you'll have the luxury of short, relaxing trips all year. You must!

Think about it, anyway.;)

Like minds all think alike. As soon as I started reading and saw he was in San Bernardino I thought, "He needs the So Cal Annual Pass." Especially if you're coming back in Feb.

Good work people.;)

disneyhound
10-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Lucky! Have you purchased a lottery ticket lately? Any numbers come to mind? Any you want to share?

CrazyTrain
10-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Wow, that's quite a prize!! Enjoy your trip! :D

PrincessAmie
10-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Woohoo that's awesome! Congrats to your wife for making employee of the month. :)

melmel
10-29-2005, 12:35 PM
I have to disagree with everyone-- DON'T get the AP. What makes it magical for you, it sounds like, is that anticipation. That feeling that you ONLY get to go once a year!

Plus, no one wants their child to become jaded to DL!

olddumbguy
10-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm still undecided on the APs, but I'm considering it. the thing is, even with APs, we would still be spending quite a bit of money every time we go. Plus, I think it keeps it special by not going to often. Its great to be able to go now and then again in Feb., but if we went all the time, it wouldnt be quite as magical, you know?

potzbie
10-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Plus, I think it keeps it special by not going to often. Its great to be able to go now and then again in Feb., but if we went all the time, it wouldnt be quite as magical, you know?

No, no, no!
It remains magical after 50+ visits.
I know.

I get a charge, just looking at my AP, in my drawer.
I like getting the AP newsletter.
I like NEVER STANDING IN LINE for tickets.
I like the discounts in the park.

I average two visits a month with my AP.
I still feel-the-the need. --I've got a jones for Disneyland. --I crave. --I got an urge. --I've an never-ending love for walking onto Main Street.

It won't get old if you visit twice a year.
I guarantee it.

olddumbguy
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
You make a pretty good arguement.

Darkbeer
10-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm still undecided on the APs, but I'm considering it. the thing is, even with APs, we would still be spending quite a bit of money every time we go. Plus, I think it keeps it special by not going to often. Its great to be able to go now and then again in Feb., but if we went all the time, it wouldnt be quite as magical, you know?

Many folks that don't live near the DLR get an AP, just because it is cheaper than buying tickets each time.

I was fairlyy vague in my first post, and the reason why is I am not sure what type of ticket you won, if it is truly a "comp", there is no value in it in regards to upgrading.

But if your wife's company bought the ticket, or in certain cases, did some type of trade-out, then what the cost of the ticket is can be applied to an AP.

For example, a full price one day ParkHopper is $76, but a SoCal 1 day PH is $71.

If you upgraded to an AP with one of those type tickets, you would get a credit of that amount towards an AP...

Let's say you want to upgrade to an SoCal Select AP...

It normally costs $119...

First thing, get a Specially marked Coke product for the $10 off coupon...

Now it is down to $109, apply the full priced ticket, and you will only have to pay $33 for the AP.

With the discounted ticket, it would cost $38.

A regular SoCal, $149, minus the $20 Coke Coupon = $129

So either $53 or $58.

So, if you have the right type of ticket, it is one heck of a deal, even if you just use it in February, since you could go the second day on the Holiday visit (so long as you avoid the peak days which are blocked out), and February for a lot less than what you would pay seperately.

So as I said before, check with the AP processing center to see what the value of the ticket is when you go.

olddumbguy
10-29-2005, 02:51 PM
It is the credit card style (red I think) 1 day park hopper. I'm pretty sure its the full priced one.

How do you get the coke coupon and can that be applied to any of the APs? And can I use that on 3 APs and save $60?

I'm looking at getting 2 deluxe and 1 deluxe with parking. With the 2 tix and the $400 disney dollars I have $556 to apply toward the purchase. So I'm looking at $180 out of pocket for the 3 of us, or $120 if I can get this coke coupon. That would def. be worth doing.

Darkbeer
10-29-2005, 03:12 PM
OK, you have either the full price or the SoCal version, but you do have a credit.

The current Coke Promotion is JUST for SoCal and SoCal Select AP's, and can be found on 12 packs and 2 liter bottles in the SoCal area, just check your local store.

Do you really need the Deluxe? Are you going on peak times, or on Saturdays?

If the SoCal meets your needs for the Holidays and February, why not get that one, then if needed, you can always upgrade later (but they will charge you the difference in price of what you paid to what the current price is, so you would have to pay back the discount if you upgrade).

olddumbguy
10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
The thing with the socal pass is you can never go on Saturdays, and that would primarily be when I would want to go. I like to rest and relax on Sundays and like most people my wife and I work monday-friday.

Even without the coke discount, I'm only looking at $180 to upgrade to the deluxe. Not a bad deal at all, and I'm pretty sure we will do that. Thanks to those here who helped convince me.

lisap
10-29-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't think you will regret it. :) And you can always save money at the resort when you visit by bringing your own water and snacks. There are places to eat that won't break the bank, either. It doesn't have to be a money pit every time you come--we tell the kids in advance what they can spend on small treats so everyone is clear.

olddumbguy
10-29-2005, 03:28 PM
So I can go to a Disney store to purchase the upgrade, but the passes dont actually take effect until our first visit to the park, right?