PDA

View Full Version : AP Discount Inconsistency

jpeben
10-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I was with some friends at DCA and went to the Strips and Dips place by Screamin. I tried to buy food and I showed them my pass and they said ten dollar minimum for the discount. I was like I came here last friday (which I did) and they gave me the discount. They insisted that it was a ten dollar minimum. So I just gave up and went to taste pilots grill and got the discount there. Also I went to the Burbank Ice Cream shop twice to be told that they don't honor the AP discount. Then on another trip they honored it and gave me an extra free scoop for the trouble. At Disneyland I have never had this problem but my questions are: Has this ever happened to you? and Do they still give 15% discount for premium apers because the website still says they do? Everytime my reciept says 10% Maybe the castmembers are just not looking to see the P? Any comments are appreciated!

stan4d_steph
10-28-2005, 06:56 AM
The current guide to AP discounts doesn't list Burrrbank as offering a discount. Gibson Girl in DL doesn't offer one either. There is a discount at Baker's Field Bakery next door to Burrrbank.

I don't have a PAP, so I can't speak to the 15 vs. 10%, but you should just bring that to the attention of the cashier if you see that they haven't given you a 15% discount.

Gone2Disneyland
10-28-2005, 07:15 AM
It's always been stated that there's a $10 minimum purchase before you are entitled to any discount. However, CMs being regular people, some choose to either get generous with the discount even if guests don't make the minimum purchase or probably were clueless that there was a minimum to begin with. Those that were in the latter have elevated your expectations.

Darkbeer has recently pasted the summary of current discounts midway down on the link below, which also includes a pdf of the full discount list that IndySpacePirate has kindly generated and posted a few postings below Darkbeer's, that you can download.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=49460

Gone2Disneyland
10-28-2005, 07:25 AM
my questions are: Has this ever happened to you? and Do they still give 15% discount for premium apers because the website still says they do? Everytime my reciept says 10% Maybe the castmembers are just not looking to see the P? Any comments are appreciated!
I forgot to answer your questions directly:
Usually, I check that I have $10 of merchandise before I bother to pull my PAP out for a discount. But that's just me.
And yes, I've recently received my 15% discount on my PAP at Disneyland. I just checked and it was at The Golden Horseshoe. And ironically, she gave me 15% even tho' my meal was only $9.98 before the discount. Close enough, I guess! :D

fredc
10-28-2005, 07:43 AM
The $10.00 minimum only applies to merchandise or food (candy etc.) bought in merhandise locations. No minimum applies to food bought in restaurants. I eat breakfast and lunch there quite often and always end up with my 15% discount. Sometimes I do have to have the cashier check with their manager because it seems some of the cashiers come from store locations.

jpeben
10-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah thats what I thought. I just wish I could go to the same place two days in a row and get the same exact thing both days for the same price, and not be told different things.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-29-2005, 04:36 PM
In May when we were there, it seems the AP discount for the deluxe pass wasn't available. Did they just add it? I got the discount all over the place 2 weeks ago when there. :)

Darkbeer
10-29-2005, 04:56 PM
In May when we were there, it seems the AP discount for the deluxe pass wasn't available. Did they just add it? I got the discount all over the place 2 weeks ago when there. :)

Discount policies changed early September in the park, and a couple of weeks ago in DtD, and they are more liberal than in the past.

It doesn't hurt to ask, just don't take it out on the CM if you don't get one.

ILovePoker
10-29-2005, 05:10 PM
I was with some friends at DCA and went to the Strips and Dips place by Screamin. I tried to buy food and I showed them my pass and they said ten dollar minimum for the discount. I was like I came here last friday (which I did) and they gave me the discount. They insisted that it was a ten dollar minimum. So I just gave up and went to taste pilots grill and got the discount there. Also I went to the Burbank Ice Cream shop twice to be told that they don't honor the AP discount. Then on another trip they honored it and gave me an extra free scoop for the trouble. At Disneyland I have never had this problem but my questions are: Has this ever happened to you? and Do they still give 15% discount for premium apers because the website still says they do? Everytime my reciept says 10% Maybe the castmembers are just not looking to see the P? Any comments are appreciated!
Omg, you managed to spend less than 10 dollars at Strips and Dips? How'd you do it? Haha, there's like nothing there under 6.99 except for the 1.99 Juice boxes.:~D Honestly though, if you only spend around 8 dollars at Strips and Dips, you would only get around an 80 cent discount, which isn't much. I would just get my food and not visit their again. It happened one time for me, I had a buy one get one free slice of pizza coupon at Mrs. Vanelli's (pizza place) and the idiot working there said, ohh were too busy come back later and wouldn't take my coupon. Funny thing is, there was only 3 people behind me waiting. They just didn't want to honor it, so I'm never eating there again.:D

Stupid_American
10-29-2005, 05:12 PM
The $10.00 minimum only applies to merchandise or food (candy etc.) bought in merhandise locations. No minimum applies to food bought in restaurants. I eat breakfast and lunch there quite often and always end up with my 15% discount. Sometimes I do have to have the cashier check with their manager because it seems some of the cashiers come from store locations.
Although this is the logic on the website, there is also the "restictions and change without notice" disclaimer.
However, on the new "BACKSTAGE PASS", new AP newsletter, the AP Benefits tear-out is clear.

At The top, it is titled "AP Benefits*".
The footnote (*), following the list of vendors, gives the $10 minimum purchase stipulation, across the board.

MrsG
10-29-2005, 05:19 PM
At Blue Ribbon Bakery, a CM insisted that the discount was 10%.I thought maybe they considered cookies and coffee to be merchandise. :rolleyes: Next time I'll have to bring a print out from disney.com to proove it.

Malcon10t
10-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Although this is the logic on the website, there is also the "restictions and change without notice" disclaimer.
However, on the new "BACKSTAGE PASS", new AP newsletter, the AP Benefits tear-out is clear.

At The top, it is titled "AP Benefits*".
The footnote (*), following the list of vendors, gives the $10 minimum purchase stipulation, across the board.
If you look at the *, it will refer back up to the * at "All Theme Park and Hotel merchandise locations* ". For me, its not really an issue anyway, as I travel with 4-6 teens, so I don't think I have ever seen a restaurant bill under $10 anyway.

Darkbeer
10-29-2005, 05:30 PM
The website list of all the discounts has it clearly marked as Merchandise only has a minimum.

The new AP newsletter fine print makes it sound like food has a minimum purchase.

I would print out the AP section at Disneyland.com that shows the fine print, and if needed, show it to a manager.

Stupid_American
10-30-2005, 05:39 AM
If you look at the *, it will refer back up to the * at "All Theme Park and Hotel merchandise locations* ". For me, its not really an issue anyway, as I travel with 4-6 teens, so I don't think I have ever seen a restaurant bill under $10 anyway.

When I look at the asterisk, in the BACKSTAGE PASS, I don't read "All Theme Park and Hotel merchandise locations* ".
newsletter disclaimer (http://homepage.mac.com/stupid_american/photos/ap_disc.jpg)
It seems pretty straight forward to me.

At this point, if you get a discount on purchases below $10, I would smile and bank it.
If you don't, and push the point, the website will probably be updated (a few keystrokes).
More importantly, the policy will be stressed to the food service CMs, and "mistakes" will get fixed.

Sometimes, mistakes are a good thing!

I Heart Disneyland!
10-30-2005, 11:33 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask, just don't take it out on the CM if you don't get one.

Heck no! I'd never do that. I know it's not their fault. :) I was THRILLED to get the discount this time around.