PDA

View Full Version : Long, delayed Trip Report Oct. 2-12

mariezp
10-27-2005, 06:15 PM
I am a big vacation planner so I made our hotel and train reservations in January. Our countdown clock was set for September 29, 2005. About a month before our departure Amtrak calls to say that due to Hurricane Katrina they had removed some cars from the train so our deluxe rooms had to be canceled. Also, we were originally to depart from Houston but now we would have to leave from San Antonio, Saturday morning at 5:40 a.m.! At first I wanted to cry but decided it would take more than a hurricane to dash my plans! Convincing my DH was another matter! He puts a lot of stock into first class treatment but after careful deliberations, (and the fact that he refuses to fly) we decided to make the best of it.

Friday night before our departure, we stayed at the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter Hotel. It was right on the Riverwalk so we enjoyed the boat ride that evening, picked up some Starbucks and went to bed early for our 4 a.m. wake up call. Rise and shine was no problem. A ½ mile wild cab ride and we were ready to board the train!

If you have never ridden on a train it is something everyone should try once just for the experience. I must warn you that they nearly always arrive late! On the plus side, they do serve good food, provide lodging and you don’t have to do the driving!

Saturday on the train was good. However, I was awakened early Sunday morning by my DD throwing up in the bed. Apparently that was the beginning of a stomach virus she had picked up. That was how we spent the rest of our time on the train. We were supposed to arrive in LA at 10:40 a.m. We finally arrived about 2 hours late. We grabbed a cab and prayed she wouldn’t throw up while in route to the hotel! She made it just fine, although the rest of us were a bit frazzled after the ride through LA traffic!

We arrived, Oct. 2, at the Anaheim Desert Inn where I attempted to check in. They had canceled our reservation because we had not shown up Saturday night. I had previously called in to say we would be arriving Sunday morning but apparently some idiot had written it down wrong. The man behind the desk must have sensed that I was about to go into a frenzy after my mentioning that I had made the reservations in January because he did come up with our room and let us check in early. One more catastrophe diverted! The rooms were great. It was good to be back!

I was able to convince my DD that she had to take a nap before we went to Disneyland. After she woke up we made it to the park about 6:00 p.m. First thing in the park was to hit the churro stand in front of the castle. WOW! The castle really looked great all decked out for the 50th! I must say that it is even more beautiful at night.

Our family consists of my husband, our 14 year old son, 5 year old daughter and myself. The original plan was to start out riding just ONE thing together. However, that plan went straight out the door when it was crystal clear in the first 5 minutes that we would never be able to reach a compromise on which ride. DH and DS headed off for Splash Mountain and the other big people rides. DD and I headed for Dumbo and Small World. We called it a short night, made it back to the hotel, brought in Denney’s and watched Madagascar together as a family.

You will have to forgive me as I already have a terrible memory (just call me Dory) but on top of that we have all been sick since we returned home so recalling exactly what we did on which day is not possible. Instead of trying to cover every detail, and probably to the benefit of anyone reading this post, I am going to cover the highlights of our trip and some of my personal comments.

Next morning, first stop was the Market House for our first cup of coffee and a white hot chocolate. I quickly discovered that this year was considerably warmer than last year. We waited in line for Peter Pan and I thought I would die from heat! No more hot chocolates during the day for me! By the way, has anyone ever wondered why they do not offer Fast Passes for Peter Pan? I would have loved to ride it more, as it is one of my favorite rides, but we only rode it 3 times the entire trip because the line was always at least a 30-45 minute wait. One trip the cm sprinkled Pixie Dust on us as we set off to Neverland. My DD and I found that quite fun.

One of the mornings DD and I set out for one of the famous Dole Whips we had heard so much about and a visit to the Tiki Room. As always, nothing like a good round of Tiki music to put you in a Disney mood! Sadly, we saw that show only once BUT while we were on that side of the park we did get around to seeing Aladdin’s Oasis for the first time! I must say that it will be at the top of our to do list from now on! I have been wondering why we never saw it before! I think maybe because it is not very well advertised and only shows on weekends. The actors were great, especially the Storyteller/Genie. In case you have never been, the children sit down right in front of the stage. The children and entire audience is encouraged to participate. It was so much fun. I raved about it so much I finally managed to coax my DH and DS to attend. The actors this time were not quite as good but they still managed to bring a smile to my gloomy DS’s face! Also on this show we got lucky. Our DD was one of the volunteers… well, sort of. They asked for 2 volunteers... she marched right on stage, even though 2 others had already been chosen. Thankfully, they decided they could use 3 volunteers rather than turning her away. We have always been told she should be in acting! Who would have thought her debut would have been at Disneyland! She made a great guard, I might add! Even without her appearing, I would highly recommend the show.

Right around the corner we caught our first ride on the Jungle Cruise. We were lucky enough to sail with Captain Mikey! He was so funny, talking constantly with his fake British accent through the entire ride. He kept the passengers participating and in stitches. He was by far the best Captain ever! Upon exiting the boat I did let him know how much we enjoyed his cruise. I also put in a good word for him at Guest Relations. I bragged so much on him to the rest of our party that it was a real disappointment when we never got a chance to ride with him again, try as we might! What a hoot to come home and find out there was a thread on Micechat.com about him! Unfortunately, rumor has that he has served his last day as Captain.

I have to say that cms can add a great deal to the overall Disney experience. One female cm working the parade one night was nice enough to keep my daughter’s imaginary puppy. She was so sweet that she actually chased us down to give us some stickers when she saw us again by Small World. The next day we saw her working Storybook Canal. We missed getting her boat but my daughter spun a tale about her swimming hamster with another cm. A few days later met found the first cm working Pinochio. She remembered us and “returned” the puppy. I wish I had gotten her name. She was great!

A few days DH and I were able to switch who we rode with. DH got his chance to ride some of the kiddie rides with our DD. I got in a couple rides on Pirates, Matterhorn, Indy, Haunted Mansion, Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain with my DS. We also rode Grizzly Mountain and Soaring at CA. He is 14 and going through major hormones so I must say I preferred hanging with my DD best! Next year’s goal is to bring someone with him! Hopefully, that will brighten his mood.

We tend to like the same rides over and over. Days were spent between Adventureland, Tomorrowland and Frontierland attractions. We rode Buzz Lightyear, Autotopia and the Canoes for our first time. Evenings were spent riding all the Fantasyland rides with an occasional stop over at Pooh or Toon Town. Our favorite way to end the night was riding Small World at parade time when the line was short.

Speaking of parade, the floats were very nice but did anyone else think it was extremely short? I don’t think there were but about half a dozen floats. I would have preferred to have spent the one night we watched doing something else. We also do not enjoy taking the time to stake out a sight for the fireworks. We watched those from out hotel rooftop. It cut down on the noise and crowd. That was good enough for me.

I had souvenirs to buy but hate to take the time to shop! We did venture to Downtown Disney once but found it annoying to have to wait in line another 2times to get where you wanted to go. I don’t remember them having the security lines on that end in previous years.

As for food, our best meal was by far at Blue Bayou, prime rib and crème brulee, yum! Our vote for best character meal would have to go to Ariel’s Grotto. Good food and well organized. We also did Goofy’s Kitchen but were rather disappointed with the food, lack of characters and character appeal. This year’s new finds were the chicken strips at the Stage Door Café, clam chowder at the Royal Street Veranda and fruit & yogurt parfaits at the Blue Ribbon Bakery. Failed yet again to eat at Bengal Barbeque! And, still searching for a good cappuccino! At night we always skip eating at the park. We always order in pizza, Chinese food or Denney’s. After sharing our stories of the day, we rest our weary bodies and settle in for a good movie while we eat our meal.

My sappiest and most profound moment happened on Pooh. We had shared a car with another family which consisted of the mom, dad & their young son. When we exited the ride, I watched as the little boy raced to his grandfather full of excitement. His grandfather gently tossed him up on his shoulders and off they went, laughing all the way. I love to people watch! This type of family is always my favorite! I was so touched by the closeness of their family I could not resist the temptation to say something to the mom. I followed them and tapped her on the shoulder. I told her that I had been enjoying watching her family and was so envious because we had no grandparents around anymore. I wanted her to know how lucky she was. She probably thought I was a nut but graciously responded to me that it was indeed wonderful to have their grandparents with them. I had to turn away because I was suddenly overwhelmed with emotion. There I was standing in Disneyland with tears streaming down my face, missing my mother and mother-in-law! At the very same moment, I had to laugh because I could not truly picture either of them at Disneyland. As clear as day it dawned on me why I love Disneyland so much! Walt Disney is my hero! He was such a visionary! FAMILY! That was what it is all about! Through him I will be able to take my family to share those special moments that he envisioned for everyone. The good Lord willing, my husband or I will just have to be the grandparents in our family tossing our grandson on our shoulders one day! Thank you, Walt, for creating the Happiest Place on Earth and sharing it with us. (Now if they would just serve Dr. Pepper and maybe add a Starbucks all would be perfect!)

Our stay lasted through Oct. 13, so we had 11 wonderful days to spend at Disneyland! I don’t know how some people can make do with just a weekend… but hey, I guess you take what you can get! Lucky for me my, DH just bought an airplane so I bargained to get guaranteed Disneyland trips indefinitely!

Too soon to be thinking about next year? Nah! Christmas is sounding pretty good……..

TDBearGrrl
10-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Great report! Thanks for sharing!

I just have one question. DH refuses to fly AND bought an airplane?? splain please?....

mariezp
10-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Glad you liked the report. I was hoping I would not bore everyone!

As for the airplane thing, makes no sense, I know! He refuses to go on a commercial flight but is okay with piloting himself. I think it is a control issue.

MermaidHair
10-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Great report. So you don't feel alone, I was right there with you on your sappy family moment. Got a little teary-eyed just reading it. :geek: Oh well, can't help lovin' that family o' mine...

passthepixiedust
10-27-2005, 08:00 PM
yep, me too.... sniffling away here.

mariezp
10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys! Only true Disney lovers would understand! My DH and DS are thinking I am a bit off my rocker... but then again, that's the only way I can fit in around our house!

yellowrosedtxn
10-28-2005, 11:16 AM
I really enjoyed your report and I was teary eyed too! I have said it before, so I will say it again: I can't WAIT for my next Disneyland Adventure! I am so excited!

IcDkRy16
10-28-2005, 11:34 AM
We were there around the same time you were! I really enjoyed reading your trip report, it sounds like you guys had a wonderful time.

Clotho
10-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Love the report. And if you want to know the pinnacle of sappy? I don't have kids yet, but my father died quite unexpectedly a few years ago, and every now and again I get this sad sad feeling that my kids will never know him as a grandfather because I know he would've been great. I had a moment like at at DL this month myself--looking at the grandparents with their grandkids (the way I expereinced Disney as a child), and knowing my kids won't have that. I cried a little myself. So I am so with you!