PDA

View Full Version : Question for parents [Disneyland without the kiddos]

Pages : [1] 2

DangerMouse
10-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Once you have kids, is it possible to enjoy a Disneyland trip without taking them along?

I am considering a trip for just dh and I, and leaving the kids with the grandparents. The kids will have gone several times this year, so they won't be missing out. I won't feel guilty about them not being there. However, I'm wondering if some of the magic will be gone because I will wish they were there. I can just imagine myself seeing Aurora and dying inside because she's my 3 year old's favorite.

I would love to hear about some other padders' experiences of DL trips without their kids. What special things can we do as just a married couple that we can't do with the kids? (I'm already thinking Napa Rose. . . )

Whittibo
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
I say bring the grandparents with you and have a BIG FAMILY DISNEY TRIP.

That's my goal when I am a grandma. I want to be there when my grandkids go. But in your case, you could still have some enjoyable moments without the kids (leave them in grandparents care AT Disneyland) it's the best of both worlds.

Oh how I wish I had at least ONE set of grandparents for my kids to do Disneyland with. My dad won't go because he smokes, my mom won't go because she can't walk (and she would drive us nuts, she's an alcoholic). My in-laws wouldn't go because they probably think Mickey is the Antichrist..

So.. I have to wait until I am a grandma.

Wendi
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
You will have a fabulous time going to Disneyland without kids. I felt slightly guilty about wanting to go May 5th without Max. It was a great time, not having to worry about anyone but myself. No meltdowns, no finally getting to the front of a line to hear, "I have to go potty!" You will feel very relaxed and you will enjoy the parks in a whole new way.

Now, I will say that you will see cute little kids having fun and you WILL feel some slight pangs of remorse, but they won't last long as you'll be having the time of your life anyway.

I also wouldn't recommend this to someone whose don't get the chance to go often... if they don't get their DL fixes, I don't think parents should go without them, they should choose another vacation for a getaway if that's the case. JMHO!

sierranevada
10-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I went in Jan without my son. I did enjoy it and really got a lot done in a short amount of time but I did fine myself wishing my family were with me. However, I was by myself - my husband is a muggle - so you will probably enjoy it more with your special someone. Definitely go and smile in those moments when you miss your kids. :)

DangerMouse
10-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I say bring the grandparents with you and have a BIG FAMILY DISNEY TRIP.

That's my goal when I am a grandma. I want to be there when my grandkids go. But in your case, you could still have some enjoyable moments without the kids (leave them in grandparents care AT Disneyland) it's the best of both worlds.

Oh how I wish I had at least ONE set of grandparents for my kids to do Disneyland with. My dad won't go because he smokes, my mom won't go because she can't walk (and she would drive us nuts, she's an alcoholic). My in-laws wouldn't go because they probably think Mickey is the Antichrist..

So.. I have to wait until I am a grandma.

Yeah, we already did that this past April. It was a great trip for everyone, but I don't think the gramma's want to go again already. I asked my mom if she wanted to go, and she is the one that suggested we go alone and leave the kids with her.

garrett240
10-27-2005, 09:41 AM
We just recent last week with our young kids. None of them wanted to do Splash Mt. and none wanted to do Space Mt. So, my wife and I couldn't do them.

I enjoy taking the kids, but we joked that next time we come, we might leave the kids a day w/ Grandma, while we do the rides we want to do. (and not the merry-go-round two or theee times) :D

crazi4dlr
10-27-2005, 09:43 AM
DL without kids is wonderful. DH and I went on our honeymoon and I left my 2 kids with a friend for the week. Then we went this past June for 5 days without the kids. It is really magical to spend time alone with your spouse. Just to wander around, not to carry backpacks filled with "necessities". Sleep in, do a leisurely breakfast, lunch at the BB. Hold hands during the fireworks and not worry about where the kids are off to. No stroller to push. Fall in love all over again. Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

crazi4dlr
10-27-2005, 09:47 AM
My in-laws wouldn't go because they probably think Mickey is the Antichrist..

everyone knows that Mickey is not the Antichrist.....Barney is :D

tod
10-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Once you have kids, is it possible to enjoy a Disneyland trip without taking them along?

If you don't spend the whole trip worrying about them, you should have a fine time.

What special things can we do as just a married couple that we can't do with the kids?

There's this long stretch of the Railroad between New Orleans and Toontown that gets real dark at night...

--t

hlbtimes2
10-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I really glad this thread was started. We had a very stressful trip earlier this month. We took the inlaws, thinking the extra adults would be helpful, like they were last time. They werent. They caused us more stress! We thought not dealing with a baby in diapers would be great. It wasnt. The 3 1/2 year old had to potty all the time, usually when we reached the front of the line. Four times he had potty accidents- something that NEVER happens at home. My, 7 year old, was a dream! She rode everything, never complained, had a blast - she was the bright spot of the trip!

Anyway, the last day there dh and I started joking about coming back alone. To enjoy the park like we used to, before kids. I suggested that we tell the kids we were going to Vegas, so they wouldnt be jealous and upset that we would do Disney with out them. But, now I'm feeling a little guilty about it. And when I price trips I always include them. I guess I need to just get over it, and look at it as a rebonding time with my husband. The last couple years have been rough and we could use the alone time.

julia
10-27-2005, 10:26 AM
If possible, stay in bed late, have a leisurely breakfast, spend LOTS of time in the Grand Californian's spa, linger in places with grown-up things to see, have a quiet lunch, ride the grown-up rides as many times as you want. Enjoy a nice glass of wine over dinner at Napa Rose, take extra time doing your Disney shopping.... Take a limo to and from the airport, too.

Have a great day!
Julia Elzie
http://www.goandavo.com
jelzie@andavotravel.com

vickieluvsmickey
10-27-2005, 10:29 AM
DH and I go once in awhile without our kids and we have a great time. It's fun to sit with him on the rides. It's nice to hold his hand instead of the kids' hands while walking through the park. Our kids would rather spend 2 hours in line for a ride than 1 hour enjoying a nice lunch somewhere. It's a nice change to go at our pace and enjoy each other's company instead of being focused on the kids. And hey....you'll be able to carry a cute, small purse instead of a big 'ol backpack thingy.

Have fun on your date!!!!

mad4mky
10-27-2005, 10:46 AM

I am considering a trip for just dh and I, and leaving the kids with the grandparents. The kids will have gone several times this year, so they won't be missing out. I won't feel guilty about them not being there. However, I'm wondering if some of the magic will be gone because I will wish they were there. I can just imagine myself seeing Aurora and dying inside because she's my 3 year old's favorite.

I would love to hear about some other padders' experiences of DL trips without their kids. What special things can we do as just a married couple that we can't do with the kids? (I'm already thinking Napa Rose. . . )

OMG!! We go ALL THE TIME without the kids. They are older now...but even when they were little we would send them over to grandmas.
Heck...I even went to WDW for my first time ...and the Disney Cruise without my kids!
(I do have to say though, the whole time there I kept thinking "the girls would love this!"...so we took them the next year! We live in CA...so going to WDW was a big treat!).

There is so much to do and see without the restraints of having small children with you. Rollercoasters, scary rides...eating when YOU want to eat...going where YOU want to go.
And...it can be soooo romantic. I love going with just my sweet husband. We have soooo much fun.

Go...without the kids...you won't regret it. And, DLR will be there next time you want to take your kids. Its not like the park is going to disappear anytime soon!:) ;)

adriennek
10-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Ok, being the unpaid unofficial marketing department for Napa Rose here at MousePad, I just have to say: OH MY GOODNESS YES YOU NEED TO GO THERE.

Being a mom, re: Can you enjoy DLR without the kids? OH MY GOODNESS YES.

So imagine it: No stroller. No keeping track of where they went. No diapers. No potty stops where you have to snap someone ELSE'S pants. If you want to go on Pirates or HM or Indy or Space or (insert potentially scary and/or height restricted ride here) you just do it.

No nap stops. You can stay as late as you want without a cranky kid. Julia mentioned sleeping in. You can do that! You don't have to ask for children's menus at restaurants...

Now, my husband and I don't really get out much without the kids so I don't want to come off as someone who can't wait to get away from my kids. But ohmygosh, you can DEFINITELY have fun without them...

Adrienne

rentayenta
10-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I think it depends on who you go with and going with your DH sounds perfect.

Now, Disneyland alone, another story. I was in Disneyland alone, once, for 3 hours, and I was so sad. My heart ached for my kids. I was pathetic.

cstephens
10-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Ok, being the unpaid unofficial marketing department for Napa Rose here at MousePad, I just have to say: OH MY GOODNESS YES YOU NEED TO GO THERE.

I think we should get commission.

mickeynminnie
10-27-2005, 02:03 PM
you may want to consider doing something like the F! dessert buffet as well. We went in August 04 w/o DS and we did the balcony. It was so romantic and special. We got to linger over desserts and enjoy mint juleps w/o so much as a "mommy can I have some?" Talk about decadent. You will definitely enjoy being in the park as adults. Just think, no baby-swap or having to ride alone!

Go on the trip, you'll enjoy it!

mi_mous
10-27-2005, 03:26 PM
I love Disneyland without the kids. Although, I must admit when I have been there without the kids, I always think I am leaving something behind, or that I should be pushing a stroller. It's a feeling that comes and goes.

But, I say take the opportunity if someone is offering. I know I would in a heart beat!

lauramaynot
10-27-2005, 08:47 PM
I too enjoyed going without kids this past year, much more so than when I left my nursing baby 9 years ago (thank goodness it was only for a day!). I think it depends upon the age of your kids and your state of mind. If you still find yourself rocking your purse when you go to the grocery store alone, then you may not be ready...otherwise go and enjoy the park and alone/grownup (well not too grown up:D ) time.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-27-2005, 09:32 PM
I went in May, on the 5th without my boys. I actually felt great. While I missed them, I enjoyed myself. It was nice to enjoy shopping and eating without having to worry about them. I don't think I would go more than a couple days without them though.

TTFN92
10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
My DH and I have been twice this year w/out the kids and twice with them, plus we will be going next month and in March with them. I enjoy the park with and without the kids, it is just a different experience both ways. I love going with my kids and seeing their faces light up when they see a fav. character or get off a ride they loved. (By the way, my boys are 11, 9, 5, 4.) When it is just us (and we have always gone with another couple or 2) I completely enjoy being able to go anywhere I want without having to worry about the stroller or doing a baby swap or whatever it may be. It is fun to stand in line for a ride and think of only what you want to and not be keeping track of the kids. Plus it is fun to buy extra treats that we may not have neccessarily bought with all the kids there ;). I definitely say, "Oh, ___ would love that", but I move on and that is that. There are only a couple rides that we ride in Fantasyland w/out the kids because they just aren't the same without them.

So go and have fun in all that you do. You will miss the kids sometimes, but you will thoroughly enjoy the park as just an adult and not a parent.

TTFN92
10-27-2005, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=hlbtimes2]Anyway, the last day there dh and I started joking about coming back alone. To enjoy the park like we used to, before kids. I suggested that we tell the kids we were going to Vegas, so they wouldnt be jealous and upset that we would do Disney with out them. QUOTE]

Do not feel guilty about going without them and make sure they know where you are going. My boys didn't like that they didn't go, but they got over it. Plus, we brought them a treat and they were happy. They actually got over their not being happy that they weren't going quicker than I thought they would. Plus, it is too hard to keep it a secret, especially after you get home.

TTFN92
10-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I went in Jan without my son. I did enjoy it and really got a lot done in a short amount of time but I did fine myself wishing my family were with me. However, I was by myself - my husband is a muggle - so you will probably enjoy it more with your special someone. Definitely go and smile in those moments when you miss your kids. :)

If your DH is a muggle, does that mean you are a witch ;) ? I've only heard that tearm in Harry Potter. What does it mean for non-wizarding folk?

10-28-2005, 05:05 AM
If your DH is a muggle, does that mean you are a witch ;) ? I've only heard that tearm in Harry Potter. What does it mean for non-wizarding folk?

Mamma Silva, I believe, orginated the use on MousePad to mean someone who doesn't get the Disney magic. Spouses Against Disney is another way of expressing pretty much the same thing.

My husband is both a muggle and a founding member of SAD.

TTFN92
10-28-2005, 09:48 AM
How sad for you. My DH really enjoys going, and even suggested we buy our APs, but after we go (I mean every time) he says he hopes we enjoyed it because we aren't going back for 5 more years. It's not true, but can be annoying. I couldn't imagine if he really didn't like it.

Thanks for the definition.