PDA

View Full Version : What Has Disneyland Done for the world?

splashmtngurl
10-26-2005, 08:27 PM
so right now im kind of in this deep and thoughtful mood :geek: and something got me thinking...how has Disneyland impacted our world? i thought it was really interesting that it came to mind, mostly because the more i think about the more things it seems to bring up.

anyways, i would just like to know what everyont thinks disneyland has done for the world, our community, disney, whatever. you know what i mean.

itig
10-26-2005, 08:57 PM
wow...how about bringing joy to millions of people, young and old, from around the world!

Niwel
10-26-2005, 10:00 PM
wow...how about bringing joy to millions of people, young and old, from around the world!

Can I get an amen?!? :D

merlinjones
10-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Disneyland provides a few hours of artful escape from that same world you mention.

Viva La Disney
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
wow...how about bringing joy to millions of people, young and old, from around the world!Can I get an amen?!? :D

AMEN! :D

WITron
10-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Plus you could include all the work that the voluntears do with charities in the community, like working with special olympics. They have also in the past held the MS marathon there, so you could include that.

evrythngwmn
10-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Provided us with clean safe theme parks. Prior to Disneyland amusement parks were dirty unsafe places. Can't remember the quote but Walt's wife asked him why he'd want to open such a place. He told her that his park would be different.

disneyjunkie
10-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Given us the inspiration for many disneyland boards to vent, laugh, and reply to LOL.

crazi4dlr
10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
It depends on what you consider "doing for the world". Disney is entertainment, pure and simple. Consistent family entertainment. I remember going to the movies as a kid in the '60's and seeing Disney films, not just the amazing animation (which sadly has been eliminated) but the clean live action films too. Then there was the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night. And of course Disneyland every summer. I'm sure in the tumultuous era of the 60's raising kids was a scary thing. It must have been a relief for parents to know that there was entertainment out there that they could feel safe with. Disney has been consistently family friendly and I think that's what Walt was reaching for. That's my .02

twist1980
10-27-2005, 10:31 AM

Myself included!

But what about the thousands upon thousands of Make-A-Wish children that their dream was to go to Disneyland? DLR has paid for all these children to have their biggest wish come true in the time they have left. And the memories that the parents will have of one of the final times with their child!

leotatoombs
10-27-2005, 11:38 AM
A lot of food not needed or used by parks are donated to people locally who are in need or homeless etc. Another thing disney does is host many special fundraisers for (i think) very worthy causes. The snow white wishing well is a good place to throw coins! your money is donated to children around the world/unicef. I do not know if this is still true but Minnies moonlite maddnes started out as a fund raiser helping different causes every year. Also the recycling program(I don't know if this is still true either) used to go to the seeing eye dog fund for the blind. Disney does a lot for the communities they reside in. Disneyland also gives many in their community & others a chance to go to DL who might not other wise ever make it to the Magic kingdom. In fact I believe they donate all the money they find pitched everywhere in DL. SW,BTMRR,minnies house etc. Of yeah & Make A Wish Foundation gotta love em'! I'm thinkin' of lookin into volunteer opportunities with them!:D I and a lot of people feel they are being taken advantage of with DL prices & everything sometimes! but they really do give a lot back to the world when you really stop & think about it.

sandiegorob
10-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Aside from the philanthropic activities, DL brings in huge amounts of money for local and state government not to mention the community as a whole.

JookyG
10-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Plain and simple: the theme park (as opposed to boring old amusement parks), a good clean place where whole families can have fun together. Walt invented the modern theme park, and it's still studied as the model of urban planning.

Too bad Walt's Epcot never came to be. I just saw the film where he describes his vision for the experimental prototype community of tomorrow, and the man was either a genius or off his rocker. I wish he'd lived to see it through, and at the same time I wonder if it would have been his biggest flop.

Alice Fan
10-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Well, I can't speak for the whole world, but Disneyland makes this 38-year-old Mom of four feel like an excited little girl again from the moment I walk through that tunnel onto Main Street USA - so thanks, Walt!!!

splashmtngurl
10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
I think that we all wish that walt was still alive...some how, even though none of us ever have ever met him we all some how look to him as a hero figure in a way, almost like a grandfather or a disntant uncle. He did something for all of us that few people could ever do, he gave us the gift of imagination, or rather, showed us how to use that gift.

mi_mous
10-27-2005, 04:10 PM
When we were SITTING (see other thread about bad words in fireworks) waiting for the fireworks, my mother in-law made an observation that I think was cool. Here, we have all these different people from all over the world, all waiting to see this fabulous fireworks show.
People all over the place were talking to each other, getting to know one another, and learning a lot about each other. We were too. The thing that made it amazing to her was that these were people who probably would not have really ever talked to one another had they not been at Disneyland. (I know that sounds really stereotypical, but I really didn't mean it in THAT way.) It was just the whole "Small World" concept come to life, as she likes to put it.
I too am impressed with what Disney does for my family, and for the community. After Katrina hit, DW donated boats to help in the relief efforts.. I know we are talking about DL here, but I thought I would mention that since we are somewhat talking about Disney in general.
Everything about it is just great, and that I believe is why it is loved so much around the world.

Vlyger
10-27-2005, 07:41 PM
What has Disney done for the world, you ask?

Well, not as much as Bob Geldof's benefits.

splashmtngurl
10-27-2005, 07:57 PM
mi_mous everything you just said is exactly how i feel at disneyland. Im always suprised at the people i meet, i like how disneyland can often times (not always like we wish) bring out the best in people. come to think of it there are alot of people who i have met at DL and the area around it, i never would have met some of the nice people i have talked to if it werent for disneyland. thats the magic of it.

mckygirl99
10-27-2005, 08:50 PM
They gave us chairs for our teachers' lounge!

10-28-2005, 05:11 AM
anyways, i would just like to know what everyont thinks disneyland has done for the world, our community, disney, whatever. you know what i mean.

The whole, entire, and complete point of Disneyland is that it exists to give frivolous pleasure.

That's enough and a lot.

mousecat
10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
From an urban planning point of view, Disneyland has changed everything. When Disneyland was built cities were tearing out there old outdated central business districts. Today, people are trying to recapture the spirit of Main Street in every retail development in the country. The National Trust for Historic Preservation even created a Main Street program in 1977 that has inspired over 1,200 communities to revitalize their downtowns. Have you been to the Grove in LA? How about Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga? Look at how Disneyland influenced the design of Las Vegas. The folks behind Celebration – the New Urbanist – are trying to transform all cities to be like Disneyland with the visual clutter removed and the architecture of reassurance put into place. The world is simply a different place after Disneyland.

Sam

ralphjr
10-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I can only speak for myself (But I sure hope there are others out there who feel the same...)

Before I had ever gone to Disneyland, I was just a little kid with a lot of dreams who wasn't sure how to accomplish them or whether any of them would ever come true....

After I visited Disneyland, I *knew* that dreams came true. That inspiration drove me to accomplish two of the three goals that I had set for myself as a kid (Even a little kid needs goals...) and keeps me optimistic about seeing the third one come true. So for me, the magic of Disneyland and the genius of Walt Disney changed my world.

-Ralph

fjhuerta
11-02-2005, 03:42 PM
so right now im kind of in this deep and thoughtful mood :geek: and something got me thinking...how has Disneyland impacted our world? i thought it was really interesting that it came to mind, mostly because the more i think about the more things it seems to bring up.

Ask Nikita Kruschev :D