PDA

View Full Version : suite suggestions?

zandy
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
We are looking to visit Disneyland in 2006 and are looking for suggestions for lodging. We would prefer a hotel with suites: we are 2 parents, 2 boys (6 and 2), and 2 grandparents. The grandparents will not be sharing our room and don't need a suite, so a hotel that had both suites and regular rooms would be best. Also, we would strongly prefer to be within walking distance (the closer the better---no shuttles). I have looked at the hotel reviews on mouseplanet but am having a hard time drawing a conclusion. As far as I'm concerned, it's fine as long as it's clean, but my parents are a little more selective (they usually stay at Hampton Inn or Courtyard by Marriott when they travel). What would be our best bet, considering we want to be close? I don't think our budget is up for shelling out for a resort property.
Thanks in advance!

Whittibo
10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Check www.getawaytoday.com for their suites. We stay at Residence Inn in Garden Grove and LOVE IT! Stayed there 8 nights last year and 10 nights this year. I don't think I could ever get tired of that hotel.

They have kids suites with two bedrooms (last year the kids room didn't' have a door, but this year it had a pocket door, different layout).. two bathrooms and a full kitchen and front room with a sofa sleeper.

They also offer full buffet breakfasts daily and "evening snacks". (they were like tacos, corn dogs, meatballs, soup) We partook of the evening food a few times this year, last year we had shopped before we knew about the evening foods. But that's another BIG savings, FREE FOOD!

It's very clean, very comfortable, by FAR the best hotel I have stayed at EVER!

Only drawback, it's about 2 miles from DL. They now use the ART shuttle which we didn't care for, so after 2 days of taking the ART, we then drove ourselves the rest of the time. With your party, it would also be cheaper to drive yourself and pay the $10 parking.

I highly recommend it, and will never stay anywhere else again!

DangerMouse
10-26-2005, 03:13 PM
I was going to suggest the Residence Inn, GG, as well. They have the best suites around from everything I have heard and read online. You are definitely stuck driving or taking the ART if you go this route.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are many real "suites" within that short walking distance to DL.

Some of the hotels across on Harbor have mini suites, but all they really are is a room with either 2 queens or a king and then another small room with a sleeper sofa. I believe both the BWPPI and Desert Inn have these types of rooms. The HoJo does have a suite option like this, too, but it also includes a full kitchen.

HTH!

:)

momtotwins
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
The Park Inn Anaheim may be right for you. It isn't fancy, but it was clean, comfortable and convenient. Definitely walking distance. They have regular rooms, but also suites. The suites have two queen beds in a separate, large bedroom, and a large outer room (as large as the bedroom) with a pullout couch, table with 4 chairs and mini-kitchen (sink with microwave). They offer a continental breakfast which is ok (standard fare, nothing spectacular). We walked to main gate of either DCA or DL in 5-7 minutes, with two four year olds in tow, depending on how long we had to wait for the light on harbor boulevard.

We caught a great rate on their website, and ended up paying about $80 a night for the suite. Make sure you check ALL the rates on their site, not just the one they first offer in response to your search (there is a button that says something like "show more rates" or "show all rates", and it came up as the very last thing listed).

Pirate Princess
10-26-2005, 09:51 PM
I know the Desert Inn and Suites has MANY suites to choose from. Check out the webpage: http://www.anaheimdesertinn.com/room_suites.htm
I haven't stayed there so I can't say either way if it's any good, but suites they do have... oh, and they are RIGHT across the street from Disneyland. (I think even closer than the Disneyland Hotel is to the maingate.)

blackjackdelta
10-27-2005, 07:03 AM
Take a look at the Residence Inn Maingate. We were there in August and it worked real well for this family of 6.

nvmom
10-27-2005, 07:27 AM
The Desert Palms has suites... some pretty large w/2 bedrooms and a full kitchen. We stayed there last March and had a perfectly fine experience. It wasn't the Ritz... but it was fine... our room was clean... it's certainly walking distance. There's also a 7-11 right next door (very handy) and several take-out restaurants across the streets. Either walk straight down to the main gate... or go the other direction a block or so and take the Pumba tram. You might check their website or Expedia. We got a great rate there last Mar, but rate seem higher in '06 (at least for the dates I'm checking.)

nvmom

crazi4dlr
10-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Desert Palms is also on Getawaytoday.com. My family is booked there for December 3-9 and they have very nice rooms. It is on the corner of Katella and Harbor so it is within walking distance. You would get a better deal on getaway than by booking with the hotel directly. I actually saved $300 booking with getaway after I booked online with the hotel and getaway includes 2 - 3 day adult parkhoppers which we upgraded to 5 days for $60 for both. Try getawaytoday.com.

MauiMickey
10-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Here's another vote for the Residence Inn Garden Grove. We stayed there last year and loved the kids' suite, and we'll be staying there again in a two bedroom suite (with grandparents along). It's a great hotel with many great perks.

zandy
10-27-2005, 03:14 PM
thanks for all the input. What about Carousel and Tropicana? They both seem very close to DL entrance.

MermaidHair
10-27-2005, 04:10 PM
I have never stayed at Carousel myself but I have heard good things from my sister and from people on these boards. My sister stayed in a suite last winter and thought it was great. I will be staying in a suite there in March. Too late for a trip report for you but I am optimistic. You should at least check their rates, I thought they were quite good for a suite.

Rteneyck
10-28-2005, 07:57 AM
has anyone ever stayed at the Portofino inn and Suites? We are also trying to look for a suite that would accomadate 7 people and they gave me a rate for 2 bedroom/2 bath for 169.00 per night in December. I know that we will have to drive or take the ART to the park, but I was just curious how the property was.

DangerMouse
10-28-2005, 11:45 AM
has anyone ever stayed at the Portofino inn and Suites? We are also trying to look for a suite that would accomadate 7 people and they gave me a rate for 2 bedroom/2 bath for 169.00 per night in December. I know that we will have to drive or take the ART to the park, but I was just curious how the property was.

I stayed at the Portofino 4 years ago. It was relatively new then, and was very nice. We had a kids' suite (the one with bunkbeds) and got an excellent rate of $80 for it. Prices sure have gone up, haven't they? I bet you could see some more recent reviews of the Portofino on trip advisor. I personally prefer to stay closer to the park (i.e., HoJo!)

tinker3
10-28-2005, 12:09 PM
We also love staying at the Residence Inn GG. The RI on clementine (sp.) is walking distance to DL, but not as nice and a little more expensive. This trip we are staying at the Homewood suites (RI is booked) a friend has stayed there and said it was great! It's a mile away, not really walking distance. The suites are supposed to be quite large, with family room (sofa pull out) kitchen and bedroom. They also offer a free breakfast. I heard the hot items were not wonderful, but the rest was great! Good luck with your choice.

P.S. I have not stayed at the tropicana, but I heard it wasn't the greatest!