PDA

View Full Version : Bad words in Fireworks show (people screamin')

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
10-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Mad People Screamin' in Fireworks.

Well this time it's not a story that happened to me, I was just a witnees.Well the Remember show was almost going to start . I was with a hot chocolate
enjoying the night standing at the hub almost near to the Astro Orbiter(It was to my right hand side).

So I suppose people that is already familiar with the show, knows that it's a standing-sitting area, whatever is fine. Before the show, a CM named John was taking
care of the area, and 5 min before he said, STANDING OR SITTING IS O.P.T.I.O.N.A.L.

So the show started, Julie Andrews and her opening "Good Evening bla bla"....
And in front of me people screamin HEYYYYY SIT DOOOWN to others;luckly the screams where not for me, it was to a family that was in there right to stand up, so fireworks and bad
words were the big issue that night!

Then a member of the family that was standing turned around and said... NO I AM NOT GOING TO SIT DOWN BECAUSE IT IS OPTIONAL, AND IF YOU WANT TO SIT, YOU SHOULD OF WAITED IN FRONT OF THE CASTLE 2 HOURS BEFORE THE SHOW, JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE.
I think that was a good answer.
Then a lady with a cam (obviously sitting down) started defending the sitting people, and said : hey don't be a B... and this and that... (bad words) so I wanted to tell the lady with the cam, HELLOOOOOO you are taping the show so STAND UPPPPP!!!!! What are you taping somebody's legs? or shoes? DUH!

Besides I insist if you are not infront of the castle the fireworks show is enjoyed more if you stand you have a much better view of the details on the show. On the projections on the castle and Matterhorn.
Well I just wanted to share the problem that I saw. Post is ready for all those comments. ;)

GrumpyUTboi
10-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Ahhh.. the wonderful world of magic at Disneyland.

mbrady
10-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Back in September, the CMs made everyone stand up before the fireworks started.

Alice Fan
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately, Disneyland does not always bring out the best in everyone! I couldn't have sat down for the fireworks - my family and I were so impressed by the display and there was so much excitement in the air that we were practically jumping up and down! LOL.....

Whittibo
10-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I didn't know we were in a "standing area only" .. we were in the street, between the castle and the hub. It was a while before the show was going to start, the CM told everyone we WERE in a standing ONLY area, and that we HAD to stand. I wish it were the other way around where we had to SIT. Because when you stand and have children, you have to hold them up otherwise they can't see above the people. But when you all sit, everyone can see.

Sorry people aren't told ahead of time, I sat there for probably an hour and a half, and maybe 15-20 minutes before we were told it was standing. But the show was GREAT!!! Just hard to hold my almost 7 year old AND take pictures. :(

DianeM
10-25-2005, 06:21 PM
The more I hear about the fireworks, the less I want to see them. I used to love watching the fireworks at IASW, just outside the gate to toon town. It was beautiful, with the lights and music. Now, I know that if I watch from there, I'll miss most of the show that I would be seeing from main street. But if I want to watch on main street I'm going to have to not only wait for hours and deal with huge crowds, but also will have to deal with people with strong ideas about sitting or standing (I like to stand - I don't really want to sit in a spot that people have been walking on all day). In all honesty, I may just skip the fireworks next time we visit. No show is worth all the hassle.

mi_mous
10-25-2005, 08:25 PM
In September, after they made the standing area rule, we were in the same sort of situation, but instead it was 3 women. My friend and I were talking to the people sitting around us, and then the CM started to yell at everyone to stand up. Most people started to stand up.

So, when it was almost time, when the last announcement was made, we all started to stand.

These women were unbelieveable!! They were yelling at us to sit down, and if we couldn't sit down to at least move out of THEIR way, so they could see sitting down. (Another man was chiming in, but stopped once we explained that it was the CM that told us to stand, and that we wanted to sit as well.)

I was about to lay into them, kindly of course, then the fireworks started. The girl who was standing next to us, said sit if you want, but stand if you want to see.

All this and we even explained that we wanted to sit as well, but that we were being told to stand.

The fireworks are AWESOME, so don't let these boards make your decision.. you will want to see them, just know that there may be a couple of people who are going to voice their opinions about standing and sitting.

I personally don't know why they made the change, but it sounds like it has caused more trouble than anything.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-25-2005, 09:41 PM
This happened to Wendi and I, on May 5th. Everyone in front of us were standing, so we stood, so we could see. We were towards the back of the standing area, and this lady singled me out, of the 1000 people standing, telling me to sit. I was trying to explain to her that if I did, I couldn't see, and by me sitting, it wasn't going to make everyone else sit, and surely I wasn't blocking her view, I am not tall.
I think this is serious poor planning on Disney's part. They need to have CLEAR rules about where to sit or stand and when this stuff happens, which it happens often, from the number of posts on this topic, they need to defend those that are getting screamed at by the idiots who are too lazy to stand for 20 mins of fireworks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mi_mous
10-26-2005, 12:37 AM
This happened to Wendi and I, on May 5th. Everyone in front of us were standing, so we stood, so we could see. We were towards the back of the standing area, and this lady singled me out, of the 1000 people standing, telling me to sit. I was trying to explain to her that if I did, I couldn't see, and by me sitting, it wasn't going to make everyone else sit, and surely I wasn't blocking her view, I am not tall.
I think this is serious poor planning on Disney's part. They need to have CLEAR rules about where to sit or stand and when this stuff happens, which it happens often, from the number of posts on this topic, they need to defend those that are getting screamed at by the idiots who are too lazy to stand for 20 mins of fireworks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there on the 5th, and it was soo crowded, how could you NOT stand to see the fireworks!! Hello, it was already a packed day, how would someone expect people to revolve around them on a day like that??

TDBearGrrl
10-26-2005, 09:03 AM
I went through a similar thing during the ceremony on July 17th. People were yelling at us to sit down, but there was no way there was room to sit down. We were crammed in like sardines. Being easily identifiable in a crowd (fat girl in a pink cowboy hat) didn't make it any easier that morning. They never stopped yelling. We started out sitting, but then the cast members kept making us move so we woud stand for that - then the crowds crush in and there was no more room to sit. People got very cranky. There were some people who got a little out of control and they were taken care of quickly.

Clotho
10-26-2005, 05:15 PM
I agree that they should just let everyone sit! Maybe make people sit closer to one another as the time approaches or something, but I felt bad for all the little kids who simply couldn't see anything once they made everyone stand. :(

Whittibo
10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
I agree that they should just let everyone sit! Maybe make people sit closer to one another as the time approaches or something, but I felt bad for all the little kids who simply couldn't see anything once they made everyone stand. :(

This to me is the biggest problem. My almost 7 year old is not nearly tall enough to have seen anything. So it wasn't a matter of being to lazy to stand for the 20 minute show, more the fact that once we did stand up, my daughter doesn't even come to my chest. Imagine a small child in a SEA of people. So now the parents are forced to pick their kids up. And after a LONG day (or several days) of standing/walking all day long.. those kids can be HEAVY!

I also had the misfortune of this lady pushing her way into my family, and stepped on BOTH of my husbands feet. This was AFTER the fireworks had already started. Well, this lady turns around to me, looks at my almost 7 year old, and gives her a dirty look and tells her "NO KICKING ME". I had no clue what this lady was talking about, she just walked right in front of my family and says this. Well, turns out, after having stepped on both my husbands feet, HE kicked her. I think once the fireworks have started, everyone needs to remain where they are unless you're in a walk way and are heading somewhere. But to step on people and push your way into the front at the last minute, that just isn't right either.

sierranevada
10-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Well, this lady turns around to me, looks at my almost 7 year old, and gives her a dirty look and tells her "NO KICKING ME". I had no clue what this lady was talking about, she just walked right in front of my family and says this. Well, turns out, after having stepped on both my husbands feet, HE kicked her.

LOL! Good for your husband!

garrett240
10-26-2005, 09:33 PM
We saw the Fireworks, Friday, Oct 21. Everybody was sitting in Main St for over an hour to watch the fireworks. I went to ask the crowd control CM if we would have to stand or if we could sit in this area. He said, "We used to make everybody stand so that more people could fit, but now we sort of allow majority rule decide."

Well, that's crap, cuz if a few people stand, everybody has to stand. And on Friday, about 5 minutes before the fireworks started, everybody stood up.

My little kids couldn't see. So, I put my almost 6 yr old son on my shoulders and my wife held up my 4 yr old son. My daughter (8 yrs old) said she could see, a little. I still put down my son and picked her up so she could see the castle from time to time.

We come to DL once every other year or so. We visited the park for 2 days, and still felt like there was stuff we wanted to do/see. We waited for an hour for the spot we had. I think they need to have more sitting areas for the fireworks. Otherwise kids have a hard time seeing.

I understand, it's not easy to sit on the ground for an hour and half. Some older folks can't get down there as easily as they used to. But standing adults block the view of kids.

PrincessAmie
10-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Has this been a problem at other firework shows? Why is it a problem at this one? I have NEVER experienced this argument before and when we saw it in May we were on Main Street to the right of the hub and there wasn't any of this rude behavior. Just a lot of people in awe of an awesome firework show. Wouldn't you miss alot if you were sitting down? I mean there are things going on all around you. I can't see me sitting to watch the firworks. I am pregnant and I may never be able to get up. LOL. Plus I think someone pointed out everyone has been walking all day on the streest and the horses have been relieving themselves in the street. Yuck!

evrythngwmn
10-26-2005, 11:29 PM
I think it's a problem with this one because it's so focused on the castle and hub. As word gets out that this is the place to be more and more people will attempt to cram into this area. Considering that a lot of the planters in the area were made smaller I'm thinking this will be the new format for future fireworks. I can't see the company investing all the money to make the walkways bigger for a fireworks show that's got about a year to go. I could be wrong though. Nothing Disney does really surprises me anymore.

geoffa
10-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Garrett240 quote: I think they need to have more sitting areas for the fireworks. Otherwise kids have a hard time seeing.

This is a perpetual problem. Some kind of raised seatings for parades and Fantasmic needs to be thought through. For fireworks, surely you need to be a bit of a way back to get the full effect. Can't see the point of being right up in front of the castle - stiff necks and all. At Paris they have a (small) balcony area to the side of the castle next to the Pooh theatre stage. It holds about 200 and you get views of the parades. Shame it can't hold 20,000.

Whittibo
10-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Has this been a problem at other firework shows? Why is it a problem at this one? I have NEVER experienced this argument before and when we saw it in May we were on Main Street to the right of the hub and there wasn't any of this rude behavior. Just a lot of people in awe of an awesome firework show. Wouldn't you miss alot if you were sitting down? I mean there are things going on all around you. I can't see me sitting to watch the firworks. I am pregnant and I may never be able to get up. LOL. Plus I think someone pointed out everyone has been walking all day on the streest and the horses have been relieving themselves in the street. Yuck!

I think you might feel differently when you HAVE that baby. As myself and some others have pointed out, when you have small kids, and everyone stands, then you MUST pick up those kids. PERIOD. Imagine a child that doesn't even come to your waist, standing there with 50,000 other people. Or better yet, picture yourself in a crowded elevator with a small child. The child's face is typically in the BUTT of the person in front of them. Now think about this, you have sat for 2 hours (yes, in the dirty street) so you can see the fireworks, and now you have to stand up and all your child gets to see is a bunch of rear-ends. :(

As far as the dirty streets go, that late at night, after a long day walking, WHO CARES WHAT YOU'RE SITTING IN. I know that sounds stupid, but hey, I was just happy to sit down. And yes, we got there 2 hours early, I wasn't going to STAND for 2 more hours. :confused:

I don't think there is a "good answer" I do however feel that if you have small kids and want to sit down, then there should be a SITTING ONLY place. Maybe right in-front of the hub (in front of the castle IS sitting only, but we were there 2 hours early, and it was already packed, nobody else was going to fit in.) So maybe an imaginary line from mid hub to the castle needs to be sitting only, and everything back can be standing?

Loteki
10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
...when you have small kids, and everyone stands, then you MUST pick up those kids. PERIOD.

Which is yet another issue for some folks... daddies and mommies will pick up their little ones and set them up on their shoulders. It is by far the easiest way to hold a small child for 20 minutes and provides them the best view. However, it blocks a great deal of the view (yes, even up in the sky) for not only the persons directly behind but for several rows of bodies back!

I have to agree with Whittibo that there is not a really good solution since, large or small, crowds simply take up less space standing and the point of a show is to get as many people as possible watching.

As locals, we have the benefit of being able to come to Disneyland just for the show if we wish. For 4th of July, we grabbed a sandwich and a couple bottles of water, headed in with our stadium seats at 5pm'ish, got prime seats on the right side of the hub for the parade and stayed put for the fireworks. We had to stand when it came time, though, and felt guilty as sin, despite everything, because there were people there from all over the world for whom this was their one and only chance to see the show.

PrincessAmie
10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
I had a 6 year old with us and he had no problems seeing the show. I have been taking him since he was 2 and I have a two year old. This is my 2nd child. So I don't see my feelings changing much. I refuse to wait hours for a show. I did that once for a pareade and I found it only made me mad when people pushed in front or tried to ace us out. KWIM? We always just show up about 10 minutes before.

The Genii
10-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Just got back from four days at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea.

The parades are a BIG deal there: Tokyo Disneyland currently has three different parades running every day of the week and fireworks every single night. All the shows are up and running--no budget baloney there.

Anywho, people start staking out sitting areas hours in advance: they have plastic mats they put down, kind of like a picnic blanket but made of plastic. There's no reason to do this: if you stand behind all the people who are sitting you can see just as well and you're only 20 to 30 feet further back (no big deal). But, the Disney castmembers make everyone sit down unless you're way in the back. And the Japanese people all sit down because they're polite and understand that in large groups you need to do as you're told.

Anyone who cuts in front of my little daughter gets an earful in language that would make your toes curl.

mi_mous
10-27-2005, 03:23 PM

In front of the castle, and in that hub area in front of the castle, it is easier to have people sit. In where the partners statue is, and on the side, yes have people stand, it is better though if the people in front of the castle (in the non-sitting area sit, it allows more people to see... not everywhere in the park. You don't miss a lot when you are sitting in those areas, but I can see how you can miss a lot if you were sitting over by the astro orbiters, or over by adventure land.

evrythngwmn
10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
I had a 6 year old with us and he had no problems seeing the show. I have been taking him since he was 2 and I have a two year old. This is my 2nd child. So I don't see my feelings changing much. I refuse to wait hours for a show. I did that once for a pareade and I found it only made me mad when people pushed in front or tried to ace us out. KWIM? We always just show up about 10 minutes before.

I don't understand what makes people think they can do this. Yesterday when I was doing parade guest control I actually had people show up 15/20 minutes before the parade and try and sit in front of the people already there. I told them if they wanted to sit in this area they'd have to find a spot behind all the people already there. Some did but most left embarassed.

PrincessAmie
10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't understand what makes people think they can do this. Yesterday when I was doing parade guest control I actually had people show up 15/20 minutes before the parade and try and sit in front of the people already there. I told them if they wanted to sit in this area they'd have to find a spot behind all the people already there. Some did but most left embarassed.

That is what made me change my course of action. We always find a place in the back or off to the side. We don't expect prime seats. There are times on less crowded days that you can walk right up and see the parade perfectly. It just makes everything a lot more stressful when people are fighting for spots when you've already been waiting. I don't like the way that makes me feel, or act. So we choose not to wait for hours upon end for the shows, but like I said we also settle for less than perfect seats.

I am just glad we aren't trying to see the fireworks this next trip. We saw them in May. We just want to see Tink fly. She didn't fly when we were there and we don't have to be in fron of the castle for that. :)

uvsc_wolverine
10-27-2005, 09:33 PM
I was there the same night as Garret (were you on the Adventureland side of the hub? I seem to remember two people holding up little kids in front of me) and at about 9:00 p.m. the crowd control CM near where I was sitting told everyone that we should stand up when the music started.