PDA

View Full Version : Attention DCA Haters [Suggestions for fixing DCA?]

Pages : [1] 2

Enter The Mouse
10-25-2005, 02:28 PM
DCA is not that bad. It's been slammed a lot on the boards but it's fun. I think they need some changes (make it more disney). What do you think they could do to fix it? How would u change it?

GrumpyUTboi
10-25-2005, 03:38 PM
More rides

ILovePoker
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
DCA is not that bad. It's been slammed a lot on the boards but it's fun. I think they need some changes (make it more disney). What do you think they could do to fix it? How would u change it?
They need to make it less Disney and MORE CALIFORNIA.

merlinjones
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
More atmosphere, escapism
More beauty
Inventive E Ticket attractions
Visual "weenies" at the end of the streets
Lovely detailed places to walk and hang
No sightlines for powerlines and hotels/berm
More trees
Pretty archetecture
Interesting views for restaurants and plazas
More thematic cohesion
Visual invention and play and imagination
Better music
Better layout
Monorail station
Skyway to Disneyland
New entrance plaza and hub
More Walt Disney
Inspiration
Vision

HorizonsA
10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Stop relying on Pixar so much and start moving away from that. They need to start making ORIGINAL attractions, not movie-based. Disneyland's last original attraction to debut was Rocket Rods in 1998, it had it's own theme. California Adventure's last orginal attraction was practically everything, except: Disney Animation, Tower of Terror, Muppet Vision, Millionaire and all of A Bug's Land. Even Superstar Limo was an orginal idea and look what's replacing it. Less Pixar, more original.

Aussie MouseFan
10-25-2005, 04:50 PM
I like DCA, and ignore the negative comments from the nay sayers.

Obviously it can be improved, and I am sure it will be, good things take time.

Hakuna Makarla
10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I like DCA, and ignore the negative comments from the nay sayers.

Obviously it can be improved, and I am sure it will be, good things take time.
Amen!! DCA is not Disneyland, I love it and think its pretty darn cool now!

Alice Fan
10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
My family and I really like DCA...but it WOULD be nice if there was a monorail stop there!

Alex S.
10-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Bump the price up to $75 a day, move the entry gates out to where the back checks currently are and simply make it one big park with the Esplanade enhance to provide a thematic barrier between the two.

I like DCA. I think it is has been horribly mismarketed (they should have emphasized it as a date night destination for locals (in addition to being a extra day's stay for out-of-towners) and sold cheaper "after-five" tickets to get people to hang out at DCA.

It's beautiful at night and plain during the day. So what happens? Because of attendance they limit hours so that hardly anybody ever sees it at night.

hlbtimes2
10-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Some transportation would be nice. Its a long walk from the gate to the far back area of the pier. And some shade would be nice.

Aussie MouseFan
10-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Some transportation would be nice. Its a long walk from the gate to the far back area of the pier. And some shade would be nice.

I agree, as it can get hot during the warmer months... the walk under and around Grizzly is good though

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree on the transportation option. They need something similar to the RR at DL.
To me it seems to state fair. There is a serious lack of exciting attractions. Screamin' is a roller coaster. While some love it, it really isn't all that unique from other coasters at other parks, and lacks a theme. Space, Matterhorn and BTMRR are all coasters too. Take away the theming and they would be VERY boring.
TOT and Soarin' are the only real themed rides that they have. Yes there is GRR, but again, it is something that is at every other amusement park, and is not unique. They need to build something that will make want to go there, because it is something you don't see everywhere else. It would be nice if there were several attractions in this category, like at Disneyland. Disneyland has very few, if any, attractions that are similar to those found in average parks around the country.
I am glad it doesn't take a full day to "do" DCA. That leaves me the rest of my week to relax and enjoy DL!

TowerofTerror
10-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Dca is great park that just needs time to be great like Disneyland.

ToursbabeC3po
10-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Bump the price up to $75 a day, move the entry gates out to where the back checks currently are and simply make it one big park with the Esplanade enhance to provide a thematic barrier between the two.

Alex I agree with what you said or they just need to lower the price to get in. It is a good theme park but not worth $50 ? (What is it to get in now) to get in.
Toursbabe

mi_mous
10-26-2005, 12:41 AM
I agree, it does need improvement, and I didn't like it the first time I went. I thought it lacked quite a bit compared to Disneyland. Although, whenever I go there, I enjoy it more. I just find it less of a competition to get around, and there is probably a reason for that.
It does need more, but I think they are trying hard to make it better. I don't think it is worth $50 a day, either, especially when you can really do the park (on a non-peak day) in half a day.

10-26-2005, 04:49 AM

What Alex Stroup said.

disneyhound
10-26-2005, 04:51 AM
The walk is a both a foot and time killer in the park. I go to DL for the atmosphere as well as the rides, so walking and taking it all in is part of the experience. At DCA, we go for the rides! I don't need to see orange trees or a big empty lake! They need to in-fill with attractions, like your basic urban planners would propose!

DisneylandForever
10-26-2005, 05:11 AM
How would u change it?

I would turn it into a parking lot for Disneyland.

But, if I had to keep it: more dark rides, add some audioanimatronic shows (Country Bears would be nice), more decent places to eat, better theming, like Horizons said: "Less Pixar" (that goes for DL too please) and completely level Paradise Pier (with the exception of Screamin').

For starters.

twist1980
10-26-2005, 10:01 AM
I actually really like DCA, but I am enamored of all things Disney. I think the Grizzly Peak area is the best and you've got to love Soarin'.

They do need more rides though. I know Paradise Pier is supossed to reflect an old time pier/midway, but Walt Disney detested those kinds of parks. I think they could have done something more inventive than midway games and rides like Jellyfish Jumpin' and the Orange Stinger. I can do those rides at my local fair. They could have still made it seem like a pier without the cheesy games and rides.

I would really like to see Disney do a ride somewhat like Spiderman at Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando. That is the most creative ride I think I've ever been on. Either that or do something like Indiana Jones, that is another fave of mine. Disney is also the kind of creative roller coasters, I mean who else has indoor roller coasters in the dark?

It just needs a little more creativity! :D

Donald Duck Fan68
10-26-2005, 01:04 PM
They need to research some stories that are unique to California and design rides that imerse the audience in that story. All of the best rides start with a story or are designed around a story or theme. Right now, there's a few too many "Off the shelf" rides in Paradise Pier, so a plan should be in place to upgrade those rides with a more "imersive story/theme" ride. (SF earthquake ride, for example.)

There's certainly room to expand the park and grow, which it will do in time, but they need to create rides that are exclusive to that park, and keep them that way, so the park begins to take on it's own identity.

I'd like some more interactive experiences: like a chance to be a part of a movie in the Hollywood Backlot, or make a music video/CD in a "Hollywood Recording Studio".

I'd like to see some Grizzlies when I go on GRR. Adding in more animatronic wildlife on this ride would be a good enhancement.

I'd like to experience a ride which immerses an audience in some of the States National Parks and Monuments. There's a great range of possibilities and material: Lassen Volcanic Pk, Redwoods, Sequoia, Lava Beds Nat'l Mon., Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Salton Sea, Mojave Desert, etc.

How about mixing in some modern day mythology into the park somewhere, like the Bigfoot ledgend?

There's so many possibilities... I enjoy the park for what it offers, I enjoy spending time there, and I will enjoy watching it grow and change in the years to come.

Disney Vault
10-26-2005, 02:13 PM
It needs some class. Get away from hip and edgy and try to make it warmer.

Enter The Mouse
10-26-2005, 04:25 PM
I think everyones ideas are great, I really like the idea of more rides.

dws_60
10-26-2005, 04:26 PM
hi
we live in france and compared to wds (walt disney studios), dca is great... though my family and i think that a few things should be interesting there:
a monorail stop at dca
a theater Cinemagique type (its just the best show at wds)
rock and roller coaster
changing the art of animation concept... like a real viewing room showing a medley movie of all the disney movies, a theater where they ll explain how they draw the latest characters of disney
thats it
David

Darkbeer
10-26-2005, 06:16 PM
What would I do....

First, I would close the Timon Lot and would order the prep work on the area to start.

First stage:

A fence would be added at the Harbor/Disney Way entrance, to only to be used by emergency vehicles. All vehicles would be directed by signage to other lots.

I would order a study into the possibility of a new version of MuppetVision could be made, with a totally new plotline...

Work would start on the old Lion King Tram area, I would reroute the pedestrian traffic slightly south (right now there is a jog to the north), this would allow a 4th tram loading area, which would be used by Disney controlled vehicles, as I would make sure that all three Disney hotels would offer Tram Service, a bus would run from Harbor to Katella, then stops at GCH, DLH and PPH and then back the the tram area. Also, busses would be offered for the Pummba parking lot (used on busy days) and if needed the "third park" parking lot down Harbor. Plus special tram service from the Pinocchio area for a Hyperion addition I would add.

I also would start on enhancing the Hyperion, while still offering Aladdin, I would block off most of the current queue area, and start on a plan of adding an addition on the south side of the Hyperion. When done, it would be the same length as the Hyperion, and would add a lobby, escalators to all levels, restrooms and a concession stand on each level... Plus would force a view to those inside, by placing windows that would overlook ToT, but not Harbor Blvd. The first stage would be adding a plumbing stack in the South-east corner to facilitate the Bathrooms on all three levels, and the concession stands. Also, a second entrance in the North-west corner that would allow guests to enter a special gate near Harbor and the Tram area that would allow folks to enter the Hyperion without entering the park. (A special covered path from that gate to the Hyperion would be added backstage (the path would have walls and a tarped roof, and would be fairly wide to allow the entering or exiting of 2,000 guests.) This would be the reason for the special tram from Pinocchio to the Tram area, to prevent the special event guests to have to walk thru the checkpoint area. One of the main reasons to enhance the Hyperion would to allow special events like Movie Premieres, award ceremonies and other type of events that can use a 2,000 seat theater. These events would be in addition to the current Park shows, which would continue.

Second Stage...

Work in the old TImon lot would continue, I would plan to add the Motors, Light's Action show that is currently being added to WDW (I know another clone, but right now I am trying to focus on a quick addition that would help the park, and it would be opening around the same time as WDW, and not a 10 year old clone).

The second thing I would add in the area is something similar to the new Animal Kingdom roller coaster, but themed differently, more than likely to the Sierra's....

Once those two attractions were opened, I would close down most of the Hollywood Backlot area, ToT would have special entrance and would remain open.

At this time, the Hyperion would close to allow the finishing of the new south addition, though rehearsals for a new show could happen on the stage. Though some care would be required to allow the movie screen to cover the new sets, and that the stage could be used for awards events, etc....

Hollywood and Dine, SSL and Millionaire would be demo'ed, and if the new MuppetVision plot wasn't any good, I would tear down that building too. I think the PhilarMagic belongs in Toon Town, so that wouldn't be added. But a Monster, Inc. Dark ride, that is based on a ride system that is similar to what Universal uses for E.T. Vehicles would hang from a track, and would have the ability to have multiple speeds, and stop at certain scenes... Would be designed for no or minimal height requirement, and use multiple AA's and other effects.

If there was room, an new restaurant, based on the Drive-In theater concept. Also a classic Hollywood type bar near the Hyperion. Animation would be plussed, and Playhouse Disney would be updated to the current programming.

Once the Hollywood area is finished, a new show would open at the Hyperion, along with the new Monsters, Inc. ride. Also, the special events in the Hyperion would start, helping to bring in additional revenue. Certain events could access parts of the Hollywood Backlot area after park closing (For example, You start to allow guests to use the back entrance and enter the Hyperion, and have the event while the park is still open, then after the event (and park closing), the guests could visit the food and bar areas, and for a price have attractions like the Monsters, Inc, Animation and/or ToT available.

Next area would be the Condor Flats/Grizzly River area, where I would seriously plus the Soarin' queue, to add the original plans, including the overhead projection system similar to the Fremont St. Experience in Las Vegas, and Monitors using Huell Howser type story all along the queue, both outside, and in the tunnels that lead to both theaters. I also would look to updating the film, to change the way the changes between scenes happen, and add one or two new scenes to help the repeatability of the film.

GRR would get a major overhaul... I would add a building over the lift hill to remove the views of the Convention Center, Parking Structure, etc... also adding trees or other type of props along the flume itself where the "outside" leaks in.... A new story line would be featured during the lift hill, then multiple AA's and other story lines would be added along the flume.

Once those attractions are updated, then off to the farm area....

Most of the farm would be removed. One of the major additions would be a show building to enhance the Chew-Chew train into a true Dark Ride. The load area would be changed to allow the loading and unloading of multiple trains in the station, and allow a 4 to 5 minute Experience on the ride. The Bumper Cars would be removed, and a Mini-Autopia type attraction be added, this attraction would be designed for no or minimal height requirements.

Once the Farm area has been changed, the next area would be the Wharf area, when the Factories would be removed, and replaced with a family dark ride, themed to San Francisco.

After that, the entire Paradise Pier/Route 66/Bathroom Row area would be closed down. EVERYTHING would be removed, including the lake.

The Paradise Pier area would be converted to host to a couple of Dark Rides with a large Building(s) in the South West corner to block out the view of the outside. A Little Mermaid flume dark ride would be one ride. The old lake area would be converted to an Amphitheater (with real seating and lots of shade) to feature new shows and speciality acts, plus the out are would feature a bar and restaurant, to allow folks to watch the show while enjoying a meal or beverage...

A simulator ride would take over the old Golden Dreams area.....

When the new area is about finished, I would redo the entrance area, which might even require the closing down of the park, though you might be able to use the special Hyperion entrance as a temporary entrance during the off-season to effect the change....

Well, there are some of my ideas...

disneyhound
10-27-2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks Darkbeer, I was just thinking the Exact Same Thing!!!