PDA

View Full Version : Itinerary Help, please

jmdisque
10-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Hello all,

As you may know, we are headed to Disneyland/DCA for 2 days in December. We will be there December 18-19. There are six of us going: myself (39), dh(40), DD#1 (12) and DD#2(7). My sister (38) and her boyfriend (35) are also going. I haven't been to DLR since 1984, my dh has never been. My sister was there a few years ago and her boyfriend is from Nepal and has never been there. We are driving so we'll have our own vehicle. We are staying at the Comfort Inn Maingate. We are planning on going to the Disney warehouse for shopping. We will also do a little bit of other sight seeing as well as a couple of hours at the beach ( I know it will be cold but for us Kansas girls, it's one of the few times we'll see that much water :o). We will arrive in California on Saturday 12/17 around midafternoon after a short day of driving from Las Vegas. We will leave California sometime on Tuesday, 12/20.

So, for those of you who have been there and done a lot, what kind of itinerary would you suggest for DLR/DCA? Also, what kinds of things would you put at the top of your tourist list to try and see?

You guys are the greatest at helping us figure it all out. I actually have a word processing document titled "MousePlanet DLR ideas" that I am putting all kinds of tips into. Thanks in advance for all your advice and input. We are getting more and more excited as the days go by. Trying to psych ourselves up for crowded conditions even though we thought it wouldn't be that bad when we planned the trip last December. Silly us!!!

Thanks again,
Jacquie

DianeM
10-24-2005, 02:47 PM
My favorite things are the Disneyland special things, not the roller coasters. Don't get me wrong - I love the roller coasters. But one year we visited and every singe "big ride" was down except for matterhorn and California Screamin, and I didn't miss them. But if I miss Pirates, or the Haunted Mansion, or Tiki Room... then I feel like I didn't have the full DL experience. I'd say, don't spend all your time waiting in lines to go on rides. Take time to really experience the park. Go see the shows (DL's 3D graphics are a lot of fun - my favorite is the Muppet Show in DCA, although "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" is pretty cool). Don't worry if you don't do everything. Nobody can do everything at DL in 2 days, even if one is a likely quiet monday. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, have lunch at the Blue Bayou (I ordered an appetizer, ate very well, and got off cheap). Ride the train all the way around the park and see the dinosaur diorama. Take a canoe ride around Tom Sawyer's island, if it isn't too cold (do this on sunday - it's closed during the off season on weekends). I don't generally bother with Toon Town. IMO, it's more for little kids. Watch Fantasmic. It's awesome. If you get some time, wander around Main Street - there is a little theatre that plays old Mickey Mouse Cartoons.

You shouldn't have too many crowds, really. Take your time, rest a lot, and enjoy. :-)

Pat-n-Eil
10-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Well.. here goes..

Since you are here for 3 days, I'm assuming you have a 3 day parkhopper type of passport. If so, here's what I'd likely do.

If you are arriving on a Saturday, the 17th for a partial day, then I'd make that my DCA day. Get in and for sure get at least one ride on Soarin' Over California, California Screamin' and Tower of Terror. The 7 year old might like It's Tough To Be A Bug and that whole area. Check out The animation building and take in the Aladdin Show at the Hyperion Theatre.

Dedicate Sunday and Monday to Disneyland. Get there early and head to fantasyland for the 7 year old. Ride Peter Pan and the other fantasyland rides. Don't forget Toon Town at least once. Maybe someone can run to Space Mountain at that time and get some FastPasses.. Depending on your return time, you may want to hit tomorrowland shortly thereafter. Just know that the lines for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones are likely going to be the longest - and the best use of your FastPasses.

If it gets too crowded for your enjoyment, you can always jump over to DCA for a little while for somthing to eat or to kill some time. Or head back to the hotel for a little rest or swimming/spa? Maybe downtown Disney is an option at that time too.

On Monday, try to get to the stuff you couldn't get to on Sunday. Do those things first so you can have the experience. I wouldn't want to miss Pirates of the Carribean, The Tiki Room, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, The Mark Twain, Disney Railroad or The Matterhorn.

If you have time and patience, try to check out Fantasmic. If the 7 year old is holding up, you might try the 2nd showing for a chance at less crowds. I don't know the fireworks schedule, but if that is important to you, you'll likely need to plan for that too.

Have a great time.

Wendi
10-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Do not miss the fireworks! They are amazing...

If the Electrical Parade is back up and running during your trip, make time to see it.

Have lunch at the Blue Bayou - make an 11:30 reservation if you want a near guarantee on a waterfront table.

I highly recommend seeing Aladdin, it's really a fantastic show.

As far as rides... try to do them all of course!!!

In DCA don't miss: Soarin' Over California, California Screamin', Tower of Terror, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train (come on... it may be for kids, but it's cute and funny!), and the Sun Wheel.

In DL don't miss: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Peter Pan's Flight, Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion Holiday.

The best breakfast can be found at Storyteller's Cafe (must have the french toast!!!) Yamabuki is delish - go for dinner if you like Japanese food.

I'd try not to limit yourself to a certain day or part of the day in each park... I like to hop back and forth so you can catch shows and things at different times, you wouldn't want to miss the Electrical Parade just because you planned the first half of the day in DCA for example, make sure you schedule the shows you want to see and just go to them - it's so easy to go back and forth...

Have a magical time!!!

ferliemom
10-24-2005, 05:39 PM
How totally fun-- virtual vacation! :p

If it were me...

I would go into Dland the evening of the 17th. I would eat an early dinner at the Blue Bayou, and stake out a spot right in front of the castle by about 5:30 for the fireworks. They are truly awesome, and yes, I was there this weekend, and you need that much time. One person can sit on a blanket while the others catch the most anticipated one or two rides. Watch the fireworks and the snow, then hit the hay. Because Dland is crowded lately, and there is so much to do, I would not miss the chance to "use" that Saturday night, and what better way to warm yourselves up and get in the DLR spirit?

The 18th I would get to Dland as early as possible. Do the Fantasyland and Toontown rides early, then use Fast Pass to do the more popular attractions. Do as much as you can without going crazy. Make sure to sit down, see the parade, take lots of photos with characters, shop, etc. I would make it a long day, but a leisurely one. That night, I would do the 9 p.m. showing of Fantasmic, either by getting a good blanket spot early, or seeing if I could get reservations on the dessert deck.

The 19th should be slower. I would head over to DCA in the a.m. and ride the popular rides first. I would explore that park for several hours. You could take an afternoon break if you're burned out, or head over to DLR for a last trip on your 2 or 3 faves. Then I would head to DCA an hour or so early and get a great spot for the Electrical Parade.

My 2 cents!
Have FUN!! :fez: