PDA

View Full Version : First Time to Disneyland

Boo 2 U
10-23-2005, 09:33 AM
I just sent this message to Darkbeer, because I was unable to post, but now that I can, I will ask for everyone's input.

I, along with 19 guests, am traveling to Disneyland on Nov. 9 - 12th. That is over Veteran's Day break.

1) Several members of our group are "oversized" ... to avoid embarrassment, any rides we should avoid?

2) We wanted to get shirts made up as a souvenir for our group ... one printer said she wouldn't do it, we would all get in trouble if we had Mickey on our shirts ... what will they do, stop us at the gate??

3) We are looking for reasonable places to eat within the property, any suggestions?

4) I'm totally freaking out over how crowded everyone is saying things are ... I'm used to DW being crowded, but had heard DL isn't as bad. How bad will it be considering the Veteran's Day break? Also, any special events planned for that weekend?

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SOME INPUT
Marie

ferliemom
10-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi Marie,

I'm no expert, but...

I was at Dland on Friday, and I really didn't think it was *that bad*. I can't speak for Veterans' Day, however, as I'm not familiar with that holiday.
My take on it is that you will be there multiple days, and I'm sure you can get everything you would like to done. Be organized, use Fast Pass, arrive early-- all the normal advice.

While I haven't ordered any from this site, www.zazzle.com has very cute Disney shirts you can customize with millions of logos and graphics.

My dad is quite a Large Gentleman (about 6'3 or 4" and well over 300 pounds). He has not been to DCA, but has been to DLR, and has had no real trouble fitting into the rides there. Some are not comfortable, but that seems to have as much to do with leg room for him as butt width or tummy girth. :D (I'm no size 2 myself or anything, ha ha) I was worried about an embarrassing situation for him too, but he rode Splash, Space Mtn (before the rehab), Matterhorn, Indy, Thunder Mtn, and all the rides like HM, Pirates, etc, with no problems.

Have FUN-- don't worry about the crowds, it'll work out.

Boo 2 U
10-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for your help and positive attitude! I hope the crowds aren't too bad, but whatever the case, we will do our best and have a great time! Thanks for your help about the rides/wt. issue. The only one I remember being a problem for us was ET at Universal ... trying to fit your bottom into that little bicycle seat was horrible, and totally unexpected ... this time I want my family to be prepared. Thanks again!

disneyhound
10-23-2005, 09:50 AM
1. I think most rides can handle most folks, I don't ever remember seeing a weight limit, they may want to seperate some folks into different groups if necessary. Some rides are known to actually benefit from greater mass, such as matterhorn... It's all about gravity! ;)

2. As long as the shirts are not offensive, they shouldn't be a problem; their could be an issue if Mickey is shown in an unflattering way. But if the graphic of Mickey is correct, I can't see why anyone would object, thousands of Mickey shirts out there, are they all DL originals?

3. Most food in DL is expensive, they got you there, so they take advantage of the situation. But lots of places offer good portions. There is a posting of park food prices somewhere on this site, try a search for the thread.

4. Tis the 50th season, and I have been worried about our upcoming trip as well. We usually do not have crowd issues. The fact of the 50th and you are going over a 3-day weekend, you should probably expect summer-type crowds. You can always be happy if that proves false!

SCUBAbe
10-23-2005, 09:55 AM
you can make up your own shirts at cafepress.com

as for food....whit water snacks is pretty inexpensive. We have found that many of the food items can be shared. So, that cuts down on some cost. We also go to mc donalds alot on harbor...:)

DianeM
10-23-2005, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't worry about oversized guests, unless they are really, really oversized. I used to weight nearly 300 lbs, and never had a problem on a ride (with the exception of Autopia, and the problem there was that I was too tall and my legs didn't fit). I don't do the Paradise Pier rides, though, so some of them might have size limits. The best advice I've seen... when in doubt, ask a CM at the ride in question. They'll tell you if there is a problem.

If you all want to have matching t-shirts at DL, why not buy them there? It won't cost any more than having them made up, and they have a lot of lovely t-shirts in various sizes. IMO, the best selection for t-shirts is at World of Disney in downtown Disney. Or you could take a trip to Wal-Mart or the Disney outlet store before you enter the park and buy whatever you want.

My favorite cheap food in the park is the gumbo at the little place next to the entrance to the Blue Bayou. It's about $8 and you get a hearty bowl of gumbo (meat or vegetarian) in a bread bowl. Seriously filling fare, this will get you through an afternoon of running from ride to ride. Another good and reasonably inexpensive snack are the Dole Whips outside the Tiki Room. You can even take then into the room itself and eat them while you are at the show. Food really isn't that horribly priced at DL (compared to your average sports event, at least). We took snacks in last time we were there and didn't eat them - we found that regular meals with the occasional churro kept us quite satisfied. We ate breakfast at the hotel, except for one trip to have Mickey pancakes in the park. One thing you will want to bring is water. Lots of bottled water. Buying enough little bottles at the park to keep your party hydrated will break your budget. I carry a liter sized bottle and re-fill it at drinking fountains. Anaheim water is not that great, but I don't like soda's and I'm not going to spend $3 for a half liter. I got used to the water taste pretty quickly.

Enjoy. :-)

Boo 2 U
10-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the great input, I truly appreciate it! Bringing a water bottle and filling it is great and if the water tastes funny, I'll bring those individual Crystal Lite packages to add and fix it up! Ok, here's one more question ... we will be staying on the DL property and not have transportation to buy bottled water or snacks at a grocery store ... how can I get to a store, will there be shuttles to any areas outside of the park? Thanks again!

disneyhound
10-23-2005, 10:16 AM
DL opens at 8:00AM on the Friday that is Veteran's Day. When they switch to their peak-season opening hour, you can bet that DL thinks the crowds will more than a normal Friday in November. Just plan for it, still lots of fun to be had!

Many grocery stores in the area deliver, or so I have read here at MousePad; Safeway and Albertson's I think. Also, there is a good transportation system (city bus) that runs continually up and down Harbor Blvd. There is a Target about 1 South of DL.

ferliemom
10-23-2005, 12:36 PM
A couple more quick notes:

I second the gumbo option for cheap food! Yum! That little stand (right above pirates) is my favorite food in DL, other than the Rancho Del Zocalo chicken/shrimp and garlic mashed potatoes! ;) Their gumbo and chowder are great, and so are the little sweet fried things!! It's fast, good, and nice atmosphere, but not too $ for the park. Also, the bread bowls with soup or salad in them in DCA are great.

I second those who said water is VERY expensive, and trying to bring your own is best.
What about those bottles you can buy that have the filter built in to the top, like a Brita bottle? Then you could fill at the drinking fountains and not worry about taste or junk.

Also, I did just remember that at DCA, Screamin' has a sign that says something like "ride will not necessarily accomodate all sizes and shapes of riders". That may be one you could ask about. Grizzly RR has small seats, but I have had several "not small" friends ride it, no problem. I think Tower of T. and Soarin would probably fit most anybody.

Have fun! :D

maryjeane
10-23-2005, 12:48 PM
http://abc.I have made our own t-shirts using ideas from the Crafting, Cooking and Scrapping thread on www.disboards.com - lots of good ideas. If this picture will post, these are my favorite

Click me. (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/oryorange/2005_1017Image0006.jpg)

And me. (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/oryorange/2005_1013Image0002.jpg)

[Moderator's note: Please post only one image per poster to a thread. If you have more than one image to share, post links. Maximum graphic size: 20KB and no more than 400 pixels tall (portrait) or wide (landscape). -3894]

TowerofTerror
10-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Have a great time. Make sure you get there at Park opening.

mi_mous
10-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Bringing a water bottle and filling it is great and if the water tastes funny

The first aid station at DL had cold filtered water, the only place in the park that does have filtered water.. plus it's a great place to sit if you need a break. (The nurse that was there let me in on this little tid bit of info when we were there.)