PDA

View Full Version : Questions about HoJo

nvmom
10-22-2005, 06:56 PM
We're considering a second every trip to DLR in March 06. Last trip (our first) we stayed at the Desert Palms. We had a perfectly fine experience, but would like to try something diff this time. I'm considering HoJo. (Unless some fabulous price becomes available on property) I went back and read several posts relating to HoJos, but have a couple specific questions.

-The Desert Palms is pretty much behind or around the corner from the Candy Cane. Is the walk to HoJos about the same, longer, shorter? Having only been there once, not that familier w/the area... we'd walk out of the main gates and instead of turning right to walk to Deserts Palms, we'd turn left to walk to HoJos, or am I way off?

-What building do I want at the HoJo? We want 2 queens (2 adults, 3 children) and I want a room w/a refridge & the double vanity. I know the website gives layouts, but I get errors when trying to view it. A premium or deluxe room mentions a daily snack- what kind of snack? Is the park view worth it?

-Is there a convenience store close? We did like that about the Desert Palms, 7-11 right next store?

-How heated is the pool?

-And, would you book now? The rates I'm getting are between $99-119 per night on the website, haven't checked Mousesavers yet. Last year, we didn't even start looking until Jan and got such a great rate on Expedia for hotel & air. Do you think it sometimes pays to wait?

Thanks so much for you help.

nvmom

TrekkieDad
10-22-2005, 07:11 PM
We stayed at Hojo's last June and will be staying there again next weekend. I can't answer all your questions, but here are some notes from my experience.

Hojo's is about a "7 minute walk" from the esplanade. No 7-11 type convenience stores, but the hotel itself has a small store for essentials. We had a Disney View room (and will again) where you can see the monorail and fireworks from the balcony. It had 2 queens and plenty of extra space to park my bike.

There are mousesavers and AP discounts if you link from the mousesavers.com site.

We didn't try the pool.

We did eat at Mimi's twice. The food is very good, and the prices are reasonable. You'll walk right by McDonalds and other eateries on the way to the resort.

There is high-speed internet access in all the rooms. And it's free.

We didn't have any problems finding a parking spot.

TrekkieDad
10-22-2005, 07:14 PM
The layouts are pdf files. Try downloading them and opening them with Acrobat Reader.

nvmom
10-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Yes, I think Acrobat is the problem, I must need a new download or something. Just haven't taken the time yet to do it. Thank you though.

nvmom

Wendi
10-22-2005, 09:14 PM
The little shop at the hotel has plenty of snacks and essential items and they don't horribly overcharge you either, it's quite pleasant! The snack in the premium room is a couple of large bags of trail mix and bottled waters (I think there were 4 bottles in the room when we arrived). The walk is not bad at all, but I'm not familiar with the Desert Palms location, so I don't know how it compares.

Buildings 1 and 2 have queen beds. The rooms in Building 1 have the split double vanities, so one is inside the bathroom and one is outside. In building 2 they are both inside.

HTH!

Oh, I'd book now... I think prices will only go up the closer you get. You might be able to find better rates on the discount sites, but I have never found better rates for Hojo's than the Mousesavers or Mouseinfo rates - though you should call the hotel directly to see if they have Entertainment Book rates available for your dates - if so, they can't be beat and it would be worth buying an Entertainment Book if the discount rate is available for you.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-22-2005, 09:35 PM
We're considering a second every trip to DLR in March 06. Last trip (our first) we stayed at the Desert Palms. We had a perfectly fine experience, but would like to try something diff this time. I'm considering HoJo. (Unless some fabulous price becomes available on property) I went back and read several posts relating to HoJos, but have a couple specific questions.

-The Desert Palms is pretty much behind or around the corner from the Candy Cane. Is the walk to HoJos about the same, longer, shorter? Having only been there once, not that familier w/the area... we'd walk out of the main gates and instead of turning right to walk to Deserts Palms, we'd turn left to walk to HoJos, or am I way off?

-What building do I want at the HoJo? We want 2 queens (2 adults, 3 children) and I want a room w/a refridge & the double vanity. I know the website gives layouts, but I get errors when trying to view it. A premium or deluxe room mentions a daily snack- what kind of snack? Is the park view worth it?

-Is there a convenience store close? We did like that about the Desert Palms, 7-11 right next store?

-How heated is the pool?

-And, would you book now? The rates I'm getting are between $99-119 per night on the website, haven't checked Mousesavers yet. Last year, we didn't even start looking until Jan and got such a great rate on Expedia for hotel & air. Do you think it sometimes pays to wait?

Thanks so much for you help.

nvmom

Our last several trips, we have stayed at Hojo's and will be again our next trip, in 1 1/2 weeks. We love it there. The staff is great, the rooms are spacious and clean, and the price is awesome. They give a terrific airline employee rate.
I don't think the walk to Hojo's is bad at all. I am not familiar with the walk to the Desert Palms, but it looks about the same distance. You walk by a little convenience store, that has some of the things the gift shop at Hojo's doesn't have. They have a good deal on the large jugs of water, that fit great in the bottom of a stroller, to take back to the room.
We loves staying in building 2. But the vanity is not seperate from the toilet/shower area. I have never had this be a problem, since my kids are little. When my stepson, now 17, went with us, it hurried him out of the shower, if I went in there and started blow drying my hair. hehe
The pool, was not heated enough for my liking. We chose the hot tub instead, which was warm, but not overly hot.
I would say book now. You can always change things around if need be, but at least you know the hotel is taken care of for your trip.

TikiBird27
10-22-2005, 10:44 PM
When we make reservations there, I request a room that's not on the freeway side of the buildings, since the noise bugs me. (The freeway noise doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else I've known who has stayed there, though.) The staff is usually able to work it out, and are friendly about it, too.

SeattleRedBear
10-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Besides trying MouseSavers, I would also try booking directly through the HoJo's website. We did that and (surprisingly) got the room for about $5 cheaper/night than through MouseSavers. I have heard many people say that the Entertainment coupon book is an even cheaper way to go.

DangerMouse
10-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Another HoJo fan chiming in here. We have stayed there three times and are going back in December. We normally stay in Bldg. 1, premium room, which includes a disney view and 2 queen beds. I have gotten great rates on these rooms using the entertainment book. Last time we paid $64 + tax/

In December, we decided to opt for a room in Bldg. 2 because we got an entertainment rate of $49+tax. Willie Simpson assured me that these rooms are quiet. I'm looking forward to staying there again.

As far as a "snack", I believe the only room that offers such a thing is the office room, which are the only type of rooms that include a microwave. However, ironically, these are the only rooms without a table to eat at. I'm under the impression that the snack is small (water bottles and chex mix and the like, although they may have changed it).

I don't think you can go wrong with the HoJo, just make sure you talk to someone there about getting a room away from the freeway noise.

splashmtngurl
11-02-2005, 12:10 PM
There is a small store about half way from the HoJo to the intersection going to the DL entrance, it is on the same side of Harbor as the Ho JO, they have small items, water, milk, soda, beer, chips, medicine, not as big as 7-11 but it may have items not at the hotel store.

kohl
11-02-2005, 12:43 PM
We just got back from staying there. It is about a 1/2 mile walk. It wasn't bad. Make sure you don't get in building 3. They have some windows high up in the room that do not have curtains. They keep light on in the other buildings so all night long the light would shine right in our faces! Other than that, it was good for the price, but we really miss the Disneyland Hotels.

nvmom
11-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks you for all your info. I keep checking their website. Dh is to nervous about money to book anything yet... Ahh, the more practical one in this case. I'm still crossing my fingers for March trip though. :)

nvmom

Drince88
11-03-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks you for all your info. I keep checking their website. Dh is to nervous about money to book anything yet... Ahh, the more practical one in this case. I'm still crossing my fingers for March trip though. :)

nvmom
Except they only ask for the credit card in case you don't show - they don't charge you until you show up.

My sister and I stayed at the HoJos a couple of weeks back - Building 1, facing the interstate. It was a bit noisy, and that would have been an issue if we had little ones needing a nap, but the only time we were in the room that it was a problem for us is when I woke up early one morning (time zones) and couldn't fall back asleep.

I will be putting a review on the review system soon.

stan4d_steph
11-03-2005, 07:21 AM
I stayed at HoJo last month for MA weekend. I was in building 5 on the second floor. I could hear some freeway noise in there, although with the air conditioner on the whole time, that helped to drown most of it out. The one thing I thought was weird was the part of the room not over the beds had a vaulted ceiling with arched windows above the regular window. The arched window didn't have any curtain on it, so if you wanted to take a nap in there, you'd need an eyemask to block out the light.

Oh! One other thing: they have down pillows. I'm allergic to down, so this is not a selling point for me. I had to wait for them to bring up synthetic pillows.

hefferdude
11-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Another hojophile chiming in. Been going there since they had the faux trolley platform with the wooden benches and their own shuttle. ( sadly missed ):crying:

We always request building 2 - NQQ2 - with balcony - away from the south end of the building and elevator. The west wing is quiter. The entire building is non-smoking ( although some nucklehead will always stand out on their balcony and smoke which inevitably wafts into our room...:mad: )

You can probably get a discount from the best rate with AAA or annual pass
( 10 to 15 $ savings off best rate )

The walk is .47 miles from the property corner to the crossing intersection and to the entry gates. ( google earth )

We have rarely had anything but a great experience there ( and I do not work for HJ. ) Although one time while staying in one of the pavilion rooms - builds 3-6 - we had a cricket in the ceiling. It bothered me until my son - then about 4 yr old - said " Dad, just pretend we're camping ! "
Oh, out of the mouths of babes....:p