PDA

View Full Version : sort of mini trip report-- Friday night

ferliemom
10-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi!
Since there have been lots of questions lately about crowds, etc, I thought I'd write up a mini trip report from yesterday, Friday the 21st.

My friend (who has not been to Dland since 1982!!!! :eek: ) left Ventura County about 12:15. We hit minimal traffic, really (101 to 134 to 5), and got there by 2:15. The parking garage/tram/ticket area/entrance were NOT crowded. Sadly, we did not win a Civic. hee hee. Weather was perfect. We were happily surprised by the really not that bad at all crowds. I was there in late June last and it was pretty packed-- this was not "light" crowd conditions, but it was not what I would consider crowded until about 5, and even then, not like on a summer day or anything. Of course the Halloween gig was going on in DCA, so I don't know how that affected things vs. a regular Friday. I did hear that after DCA closed, the line to enter DL was quite long.

First thing we did was head to Space Mtn, but FPs were gone for the day. We decided to come back later. Between 2:30 and 4:30 we did Splash Mtn single riders (met lots of nice Utah folks who were sharing our logs :) ), Thunder Mountain on FP, Pirates, traded some pins, shopped a tiny bit, ate Dole Whip, and were ready for an early dinner at Rancho del Zocalo (hello garlic chicken and shrimp combo with mashed potatoes! YUM!).

At this point it was about 5:30 and we figured we'd head over to the hub just to check on fireworks viewing. We wanted to be smack dab in front of the castle. I'll be darned if folks weren't already spreading out tons of blankets (way more than in the past, thank you web boards) and staking out real estate. So we decided to do the same. Nancy hung out while I went to the locker to grab our blankets and sweat shirts. By the time I came back, she had met a nice couple from TX (hi! :) ) and some darling friendly people in front of us too (hi! :) ) and we all hung out, yacked, and did blanket sharing. We switched off doing rides and such. So we took a blanket break at 7 and were able to hit HMH --30 minute wait, in line just as the lights came on outside!-- and use our Indy FPs, get a drink and pee and were back within one hour. No problems getting through hub crowds by about 7:45. Traffic conditions WAY more organized there than in the summer.

Show was awesome, as usual! So amazing! We followed the herd out as quickly as possible, and got a semi decent spot for 10:30 Fantasmic viewing, but it was pretty sardined (park was more crowded at this time-- peak hours 7-11), and a d*@& light pole prevented any good photos from being taken. :crying:

We went to Bank of Main St. at 11 to have my friend's AP photo taken. The line seemed pretty long, but moved fast. 15 minutes later, all done.
Headed to Space Mtn. 65 minute wait, and that was about right. EXTREMELY irritating stupid teenagers in line in front and behind. (hello, it's called "personal space"-- give it a whirl) But we endured. We prevailed. This was the first ride in years for both of us (me, 2 or 3 years, Nancy, 20+!!). Sat in the front row. Absolutely So Awesome. Is it *way* faster than I remember? The track is smooth as silk, the wind in your face is a blast, and the soundtrack was great when you could hear it over my screaming (the front is scary;) ). Totally worth even an hour with teenagers.

Left the park by about 1, no traffic going home, but pea soup fog slowed us down quite a bit.
A great half a day in the parks!
I was really bummed reading all about the crowds lately, but my 2 cents is that it was not that bad. It was far from the worst I've seen it, and we got a ton done.

Have fun!

ferliemom
10-22-2005, 10:23 AM
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=75349981408.15429452408.1130005103450&conn_speed=1

I don't know if this will work, but here are some photos from yesterday!
:)

disneyhound
10-22-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=75349981408.15429452408.1130005103450&conn_speed=1

I don't know if this will work, but here are some photos from yesterday!
:) I was not able to get your link to work.

ferliemom
10-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Sorry the photo link didn't work for you, Disneyhound.
I'm not too savvy about such things, so... ????

:(