PDA

View Full Version : Any Feedback on Halloween Treat!

Pages : [1] 2

newportbeachbumz
10-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Inquiring minds want to know how tonight was!:D Details, Details and more details ... please. I can't wait to hear about it....:)

Shinku
10-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes, please! Fill us in! What can we expect? Was it freezing cold? Details, guys!

mi_mous
10-22-2005, 12:42 AM
We had a lot of fun. I really didn't know what was going to go on since we had never done this, and really didn't know what to expect.
Be sure to grab a map on the way in. It lets you know where the trick or treat stops are, and where the characters are, etc. PLus, you need one for trick or treating, as they give you stickers when you go to each station.
They had 3 bands, 13 trick or treat spots, and most of the rides were open, with a couple of exceptions.. the opened ones are all listed in the map. (Soarin' and Screamin' are both open!)
The lines for the trick or treat will be long, so be prepared to wait, unless they work it out where there is not a long wait. It's not a huge wait, but the lines really look long when you get in them.
Once you get through the main plaza, everyone starts to spread out through the park, so there is a little more room. (We were in the main plaza and Hollywood Backlots area for a while, till I looked at the map, and saw there was a lot more.)
There were a lot of characters out, some in costumes on top of costumes, and others just plain. I think most of them were out.
My family had a little trip to the first aid center towards the end of the evening, so we had to cut our trip a little short. (Actually leaving at 10pm, not 10:30) The bands are lively, and play Halloween tunes.. there is also a ton of Halloween music pumped through the park.
It was a lot of fun, and I want to go back next year, if they have it!! Although, I do now feel like my Halloween is over, but it isn't even here yet!!
OH! I was Wendy, and we ran into Wendy and Peter Pan.. it was quite an experience, cause they were soo excited to see another Wendy!
It was a lot of fun, the kids loved it, as most kids do.
OH!! If you have ever wanted to play those boardwalk games, they are free on the night that you go. You play for candy, but it still allows you to play, and perhaps "practice" for those times you actually do pay. I enjoyed that, cause my kids always want to play them, (they are only 4 and 2) and I can't dish out the $3 to play a game I know that they will not win. Call me cheap, but I just don't see the point. Tonight they loved, cause they could actually play the games they have always wanted to play!!

mi_mous
10-22-2005, 12:44 AM
OH, It did start to drizzle a little at the end of the night, when we were leaving. It wasn't too cold either, although I was prepared with warm clothes for the kids. It was the wind that got me most of the time, but it was only little gusts here and there, nothing major at all.
I was just wearing a zip up sweatshirt, and it was fine.

jpeben
10-22-2005, 01:06 AM
It sure made Disneyland look like a summer day!

cstephens
10-22-2005, 04:31 AM
For anyone who's interested, I've posted a report about our experience at Mickey's Halloween Treat on October 21, 2005 which includes information about trick-or-treating, character photo opportunities, park decor, attractions and dining locations open during the event and tips on how best to enjoy your evening. Extensive photos included, including event park map.

Here's the link (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/mht2005.html). Thanks.

tinkfan
10-22-2005, 06:10 AM
were the stollers and wheelchairs available for rent?

carolyn
10-22-2005, 06:14 AM
We had a lot of fun. The candy lines were pretty insane, but the lines moved quickly. The best perk was the free Boardwalk games. My ds LOVED that. Also, the face painting stations (one in Bug's Land and one in Pacific Warf) were awesome. Real artists were doing them so they were very detailed and unique.

Question: When I showed my AP to park the CM asked, "Are you going to regular Disneyland?" I said yes and she let me through. Did anyone say no? Did you have to pay for parking? I hope not. If you have a PP or pay for parking you're allowed to park in Mickey and Friends any day your pass is valid.

TDBearGrrl
10-22-2005, 06:54 AM
It was a lot of fun - we walked right onto everything.

I am going back tonight with a kidlet. Tonight will be more about candy, characters and crafts.

RE: Parking
I thought parking was included in the MHT?

Anyway! There deffinately more Tinkerbells than anything else!!

newportbeachbumz
10-22-2005, 07:01 AM
For anyone who's interested, I've posted a report about our experience at Mickey's Halloween Treat on October 21, 2005 which includes information about trick-or-treating, character photo opportunities, park decor, attractions and dining locations open during the event and tips on how best to enjoy your evening. Extensive photos included, including event park map.

Thanks for providing the link - good to kind of be able to plan ahead. Especially because we have a big group.

nursemelis374
10-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanks cstephens! We are going to tonight!

mckygirl99
10-22-2005, 08:06 AM

Thanks for that info!! I want to hit certain areas before others to help minimize the crowds. Now all the guesswork is done!

kohl
10-22-2005, 09:06 AM
My son couldn't decide on being Woody or Dash. He finally decided to be Woody, hoping there wouldn't be too many. He would like to know if anyone saw anyone dressed like Woody? My daughter is going to be Tinkerbell and I read there were a lot of them.:eek:

ArthurBang
10-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I didnt see any Woody's that I can remember. I did see one Buzz, and several of Dash. Actually several whole families dressed as the Incredibles.

I even saw a fairly creepy adult costume of Michael Jackson.

AVP
10-22-2005, 10:32 AM
To add to Cindy's report:

Strollers and wheelchairs were available for rent, and the lines to get them were pretty long at the start of the event.

The event map is not tucked into your trick or treat bag, and we actually had to go back to the main entrance to get one when we realized we didn't have enough for everyone in our party. Families seem to be able to share one map at the trick or treat stations.

The delay at the trick or treat stations seems to be mostly caused by the stickers, not the candy distribution. People have to dig out their map from wherever they tucked it after the last station, fold it open to the sticker page, and then wait for the cast member to peel a sticker and apply it to the right circle.

That said, the candy part could go a LOT faster. Compared to Walt Disney World's event, where you can usually blow through the candy stops at walking speed, this was a crawl. And it wasn't that the cast members were especially interacting with the kids, they were just taking forever to select candy and place it in the bag.

The Boardwalk Games are all on free play, and the prizes are candy.

There is no FREE souvenir photo, as there is at the WDW event. The Kodak people will gladly take your character photo, but you will have to buy it.

Many of the stores are open, although there is no logo event merchandise.

If you are not planning to do dinner on property before the event, allow a little extra time to park. Disneyland had the Mickey & Friends parking structure on "exit flow" last night, which meant that the flyover from the I-5 to the structure was closed. The street traffic heading into Disneyland was a mess. They may need to consider leaving the flyover in "inbound flow" until 8:00 or so, to handle the crush.

Some of the listed attractions / activities close before the event. Turtle Talk with Crush's last performance was 45 minutes before event closing, which meant our group missed it by 8 minutes. The lines for photos with the character close 30 minutes before the end of the event. The rides will close their queue when the current wait equal the amount of time before the park closes, so don't expect to get in line for anything at 10:25.

The end of night "Cavalcade" is a little awkward. Characters come from around the park and converge in the Sun Plaza. Last night, a handful of characters came in from the Hollywood parade gate and were surrounded by kids. Eventually Mickey and the gang that had been on the west side of the park arrived (Mickey & Minnie on a rolling stage, the rest of the characters following on foot).

Crowd control was a nightmare at this point - guests had gathered in the parade route to interact with the first set of characters to arrive, and thus were blocking the way of the rolling stage when it appeared. Then everyone gathered around to watch Mickey & Minnie - an audio track told the kids that Mickey wanted them to chant "Trick or Treat," which they did. After that, the hosts started telling everyone to "have a nice night," and "drive safely," pretty much hinting that it was TIME TO GO. But the music was still playing, and the characters were still out, and nobody was leaving. Worse, the music track looped back to the "trick or treat" segment.

If you're 6 years old, who are you going to pay attention to - a "live" cast member telling you to have a nice night, or MICKEY MOUSE, on a stage, with a band, inviting you to come play? Yeah, it was no contest, and it was somewhat odd watching the cast members try to figure out how to encourage people to leave.

Having done the Walt Disney World event for the past three years, I can see some definite areas for improvement - a parade would be nice; they need to LOSE the stickers; they need to figure out how to speed up the candy distribution; and they need a "closing moment" so people know it's really time to go. Having a schedule of attraction / activity operating hours would help - we spent the last 45 minutes of the event being turned away from things we didn't know would close early. More "interactive" entertainment - story telling, etc, would help absorb some of the crowd. But all in all, it was absolutely worth the admission price, and we'll be back next year.

AVP

adriennek
10-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Having done the Walt Disney World event for the past three years, I can see some definite areas for improvement - a parade would be nice; they need to LOSE the stickers;

Interestingly, at some of the stops, the sticker people were working the line and it was the candy distribution that was slowing the process. Other interesting observation: My children consistently were handed 2-3 times more candy at each stop than any of the 4 adults in our group. One handful for adults, 2-3 for the kids, 2-3 pieces for the adults, handful for the kids. One CM actually slamdunked the candy into my bag. Uhm, OK... but overall the CMs were pretty good.

Having a schedule of attraction / activity operating hours would help - we spent the last 45 minutes of the event being turned away from things we didn't know would close early.

THIS IS MY MAJOR PET PEEVE

We didn't get any photo opportunity in the official photo opps locations because when we went to get in line they were closed. I really did not enjoy having my children ask me why they weren't getting in line to see Mickey. There was NO indication anywhere that lines and rides would be turned off early. By 9:45 they were closing things down and by 10 pm they were starting the "Time to get going!" announcements. The event tickets said 10:30. I was very frustrated because it felt like all the things we wanted to do had lines all night and I missed doing the things I wanted to do.

More "interactive" entertainment - story telling, etc, would help absorb some of the crowd.

The improv group of scarecrows was cute. They could've probably done some storytelling with the improv groups that would've been a lot of fun.

Adrienne

carolyn
10-22-2005, 11:50 AM
My son couldn't decide on being Woody or Dash. He finally decided to be Woody, hoping there wouldn't be too many. He would like to know if anyone saw anyone dressed like Woody? My daughter is going to be Tinkerbell and I read there were a lot of them.:eek:

I saw several Woodys, but more Dashes I think. I didn't notice a prevailing boy's costume, but I think every girl was Tinkerbell or a Disney princess.

mi_mous
10-22-2005, 11:55 AM

Yes, I saw about 2 or 3 Woody's but they were small in comparison to Tinkerbell, and Cinderellas, Auroras, Princesses in general. My daughter was one of the many Tinkerbells.

mi_mous
10-22-2005, 11:57 AM
I didnt see any Woody's that I can remember. I did see one Buzz, and several of Dash. Actually several whole families dressed as the Incredibles.

I even saw a fairly creepy adult costume of Michael Jackson.

The one with the unbrella and mask?? He was fairly creepy, and looked real! I thought it was funny.

Chiidesu
10-22-2005, 12:00 PM
The one with the unbrella and mask?? He was fairly creepy, and looked real! I thought it was funny.

OH MY GOD I SAW HIM. HE WAS SO CREEPY, I THOUGHT HE WAS REAL.

cstephens
10-22-2005, 03:55 PM
We saw "Michael Jackson" a few times. We thought he was funny, though he didn't have enough of an entourage with him.

We were sitting by the Hyperion Theatre when they were playing the "trick or treat" song over and over and over again ("trick or treat" song or Christmas parade song? - you choose). I didn't realize that was during when the things were happening in the Sunshine Plaza. We'd heard the announcement earlier about Mickey and Minnie being there to say goodbye to people, but we didn't care that much about that. I'll agree though that they really shouldn't start kicking you out until 10:30 - that's when the event ends.

cstephens
10-22-2005, 10:07 PM
If you are not planning to do dinner on property before the event

Hmmm, I wonder if there's anywhere on property where you can get a really good Reuben...

SHIELDS!

disneyochem
10-23-2005, 08:57 AM
We were there on Friday and were able to collect all the stickers/candy, get the face-painting, photos with characters, play the games, ride rides and dance with the characters within the alloted time frame. As soon as the gate opened, we headed directly to Paradise Pier (stopping by Mickey and Princess photo ops first) and then worked our way back to Hollywood Backlot. It was "against the flow;" we spent very little time in lines. Played all the boardwalk games twice, rode Orange Stinger 3x, Mulholland Madness 5x, Jumpin' Jellyfish 3x and all the Bug's Land rides multiple times! Got photos with Aladdin and Jasmine, Capt. Hook, Evil StepMother, Mulan and Mishu, Wendy and Peter Pan, Max, Goofy, Pluto, Snow White, Aurora, Mickey, Minnie, Sully, and Mr. and Mrs. Incredible. Character interaction was great--particularly since we were the first at Paradise Pier so were able to spend a lot of time with the characters. (In fact, there was nobody in line at Mulholland so they let us stay on and ride 3x in a row!)

My girls really enjoyed the activity. The scarecrows were a blast as was the dancing. We left the park around 10 p.m. so missed the big finale. Doesn't sound like we missed much tho. Will we go back next year? Only if the even coincides with our trip in the fall.

AVP
10-23-2005, 04:10 PM
We didn't get any photo opportunity in the official photo opps locations because when we went to get in line they were closed. I really did not enjoy having my children ask me why they weren't getting in line to see Mickey. I think part of that was our own fault - we all made the decision not to stand in that line when we went past it the first time because it was soooooooo long. It was not until after we were turned away at Turtle Talk (at 9:53) that you and Kevin decided to head back to Mickey & Minnie, and by the time you got there around 10:00 they had cut the line off. But I still think that a schedule of events would have been helpful.

Tony and I went back on Saturday night with two other childless adult couples, and noticed quite a few changes to the operation.

When we arrived Saturday night, the flyover from the I-5 to the parking structure was inbound, so there was almost no street level congestion. I have it on pretty good authority that the flyover WAS supposed to be inbound Friday night also, so either I missed it or it had moved outbound by the time I arrived.

They did not get rid of the sticker people, but the more popular locations had 2 or sometimes even 3 people passing out stickers well in advance of the actual candy stop, so that went MUCH faster Saturday night.

When we walked by the Mickey & Minnie location around 9:15 Saturday night they were already telling people who were trying to join the line that they probably wouldn't get a photo.

The candy people were still definitely giving kids WAY more candy than tney gave adults Saturday night. It didn't bother me, but someone in our party (who shall remain nameless, because he knows who he is) managed to score quite a bit of extra candy anyway.

We spent a lot of time on the Boardwalk playing the free games, and let me tell you - those people need less sugar. "CANDY!!!!!! CANDYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!" was the cry heard 'round the Bay.

Hollywood was ABSOLUTELY SLAMMED first thing after the event started. That is the LAST place you want to be when the gates open.

Now that we know what to expect from this event, it's pretty clear that you should work from the back of the park forward, starting in Paradise Pier, and if the photo with Mickey & Minnie is high on your list, that should be the first thing you do.

AVP

olegc
10-23-2005, 05:10 PM
I wonder if this new training is part of the official event package for CMs..

"Good- BYE!.. we said good - BYE!!! Mickey and Minnie are waving good-BYE!!! to you!!! Thanks for coming, now good-BYE!!!"

Note - when you read this aloud you need to double the volume of your voice and inflection when you say the BYE part.

Sensitivity training and "good show" must not be in the vocabulary...