PDA

View Full Version : To Concierge Or Not To Concierge...?

Pages : [1] 2

Alice Fan
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I am in the early stages of planning our Summer '06 trip to DL, and am considering either the GCH (which we stayed at last summer) or the DLH (we've never stayed there). I'd appreciate any input on whether the concierge rooms are worth the price. Were the rooms better? Did you use the lounge often? If it's a case of "I paid for it then didn't use it" I'd sure like to know so we don't spend all that money for no good reason! Thanks in advance!

10-21-2005, 10:32 AM
It depends on several things, Alice Fan.

If you are traveling with small children, a special-needs or ill family member, then the ease of staying concierge could be worth a great deal to you.

It also depends what the extra money means in your budget.

Osky
10-21-2005, 10:40 AM
It also depends on the number of people in your party. I reserved a three-bedroom suite at the DLH next weekend. My family will be in one room (3 kids 2 adults), my sister will be in one room (one kid, two adults), and my parents will be in one room, with two teenagers in the living room area on the pullout. 6 adults, 2 teens, 4 kids. The funny thing is that the price is no different for the suite. $125.00 for the whole group.

yellowrosedtxn
10-21-2005, 10:47 AM
It also depends on the number of people in your party. I reserved a three-bedroom suite at the DLH next weekend. My family will be in one room (3 kids 2 adults), my sister will be in one room (one kid, two adults), and my parents will be in one room, with two teenagers in the living room area on the pullout. 6 adults, 2 teens, 4 kids. The funny thing is that the price is no different for the suite. $125.00 for the whole group.

If you don't mind my asking, how much is a three bedroom suite? I am thinking of getting a two or three bedroom suite for next summer with concierge, but haven't decided yet.

Alice Fan
10-21-2005, 10:50 AM
There's just four of us, my husband, myself and two sons (will be 12 & 16 then). A friend at hubby's work mentioned that his family had concierge rooms at GCH last summer and said it was "the coolest"...lol...I'm thinking I'd rather save the $ and just request a fridge in the room like last year and stock our own snacks/waters/sodas, but DH has this concierge thing in his head...I told him I'd try to get more info before we decide one way or the other... :0)

yellowrosedtxn
10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
I have heard a lot of people say that concierge level is great, especially at GCH. I want to do concierge, but we will be at DLH. I thought about doing Paradise Pier, but I really liked the location of the Disneyland Hotel AND the price is in between the other two properties. When I go back next year it will myself (39), daughter 1 (14) daughter 2 (10) and son (9) for sure, with the possibility of my dad going and my friend Cindy. I don't know for sure if she is going to go, but she has said she wants too.

Osky
10-21-2005, 12:23 PM
If you don't mind my asking, how much is a three bedroom suite? I am thinking of getting a two or three bedroom suite for next summer with concierge, but haven't decided yet.

A three bedroom suite at the DLH on 10/28-10/30 is $795 per night before tax.

A three bedroom suite at the GCH on 12/10-12/14 is $986 per night before tax.

hlbtimes2
10-21-2005, 12:32 PM
We just got back from a conc. stay at the PP. We did use it every morning for breakfast. That saved us time and money every morning. We only made it back for the evening wine and cheese thing one evening out of 4. We did make it a point to take pop, water and juice back to our room and to the park every time had a chance. The turn down service at night was very nice and made us feel special - the kids loved the chocolates! The extra service we got from the conc. staff was very nice. They really work hard to take care of your every need. One day they overheard my FIL talking about needing a health food store. Before we could ask for help they were standing at our table with names and addresses. We never did borrow any dvd's for the kids to watch.

So, overall, we probably took advantage of about 1/2 of what they offered us. We just didnt find enough hours in the day to go back to the hotel to really use the rest. The hours at PP lounge were a little short- they closed at 8 or 8:30 while we were there. Had they been open a little later we would have probably had cookies before bed or something like that. I dont know if we would spend the money again, I'm guessing not. It was a fun one time thing that we dont regret, but dont know if its needed again. KWIM? Next time we'll probably go back to staying offsite to save a few $$ where we can.

tinksmom
10-21-2005, 02:20 PM
I, personally, don't think it is worth the $100+ to stay concierge, for the following reasons:

1. There are only three of us, so we spend much, much less than that for breakfast.

2. I usually only make one or two meal reservations, so I don't really need help for that.

3. We travel light with one carry on bag each, and usually check in early, so priority check in is not a plus for us.

4. Finally, and most important, on the trips that we have upgraded (not at GCH, though, I've never stayed concierge there) we got tired of the concierge food and stopped eating it.

dws_60
10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
hi
my family stayed at the PPH in july on the concierge level or so we booked for it anyway... they never got turned down service either night and the breakfast at concierge lounge was very average.... they werent even given an access key to the lounge at check in!
they really prefered the character breakfast they enjoyed with Lilo and Stitch
this time we re staying off site but we booked character breakfast at the GCH
hope it helped
David

DISNEYLANDMOMMY
10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Can Concierge Arrange Priority Seating For Other Things Besides Meals, Such As Aladdin, Parades, Fireworks? If We Can Get Our Party Of 10 Decent Seats For Those Things It Might Be Worth It.

prudence
10-21-2005, 04:31 PM
The last time we tried staying concierge at the PPH, they refused to do turn down service and said we had to pay extra for that. Turn down service is my favorite part of concierge, so that was a major bummer. On the other hand, GC does turn down for everyone, so now we just do that instead.

Leash81
10-21-2005, 05:03 PM
It is so worth it! My parents, boyfriend and I stayed on the concierge level for a week in July and it rocked. We had breakfast in the lounge every morning since we all usually just nibble for breakfast we were very satisfied witht the selection, especially the chocolate croissants. My Dad has emphysema so we went back to the hotel for a rest everyday and caught the wine and chesse time and we usually had so much of that we ended up not eating dinner and just getting a snack when we got back to the park. We only caught the dessert time twice but it was excellent. We didn't really take advantage of toomany of the other concierge perks but just having the lounge made it worth it. And since we were all in one room I think we actually came out ahead with the money we saved by not eating in the park too much and enjoying the yummy lounge snacks instead.

VickiC
10-21-2005, 05:38 PM
We always stay concierge when we go to San Diego. We go two or three times a year and always stay at the Hyatt. egency Club level is only ~40 dollars more and sometimes as frequent guests it is comped. At 40 dollars it is totally worth it for four people. We don't do turn down (I learned how to fold down sheets by age 4, thank you very much), but we eat breakfast every morning and hit the snacks every afternoon. On that alone we save, and being able to sit out on the balcony on the 39th floor and watch the harbor traffic while enjoying our snacks is great.

Back to the subject of the Disney resort hotels. 125, no way, that would be too much/not worth it for us.

hlbtimes2
10-21-2005, 05:55 PM
hi
they werent even given an access key to the lounge at check in!

David

In a perfect world their room key would have worked. But we found, during our stay, that it isnt perfect! We had to have both our key and my husbands parents keys reactivated almost daily while we were there. They would work once, then stop working. We finally resorted to just knocking on the door to be let in.

hlbtimes2
10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
We don't do turn down (I learned how to fold down sheets by age 4, thank you very much)

But do you leave chocolates on your own pillow? ;)

Minnie66
10-21-2005, 06:55 PM
If you question at the DLH was in reference to the rooms, I don't think there is any difference in the rooms when you book concierge, you just get the lounge added on. It is totally worth it for our family, but more for the convience.

dws_60
10-22-2005, 06:13 AM
The last time we tried staying concierge at the PPH, they refused to do turn down service and said we had to pay extra for that. Turn down service is my favorite part of concierge, so that was a major bummer. On the other hand, GC does turn down for everyone, so now we just do that instead.
I cant believe they said that!! if u want to hear more about my family disatrous stay at pph last july, i posted a review on mouseplanet... and we re still waiting for the promised compensation that the manager Chad promised them! im mad just thinking about how we re treated on site while we pay a fortune for service we cant even get!
ill stop my ranting there!
Take care
David

Karin
10-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Concierge, definitely concierge! The extra time and money you'll save on food/snacks/water/drinks is so worth it to us, and we don't have kids!

kisroo
10-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I love concierge. I'm willing to pay for concierge. Anytime I can afford it, I will stay concierge.

There can be a million pros and cons to choosing any hotel/room/service. I always like 3894/H's response to this question.

I guess you could say I think "WW3894/HD" when it comes to spending $$. ;)

~kisroo:)

kohl
10-22-2005, 09:15 AM
How much do you save on concierge with your AP? We have reservations November 27-December 1 with our AP's. I called to see how much more it would be to add on concierge for our stay at DLH. They said it would be $387 a night!:eek: A lot more than the $89 we are paying right now.

momtotwins
10-22-2005, 11:23 AM

Might I ask how you got concierge on a suite? I've got a 2BR suite at the GCH and I've been BEGGING for concierge upgrade and was told that NO WAY, NO HOW can you get concierge for a suite UNTIL you check in and then it's only if it's available. I've tried every way I can think of, including vacation planning and the front desk at the hotel. Same answer every time. I was told when I booked this was the policy at ALL the Disney hotels. So, what's your secret? :D

Osky
10-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Might I ask how you got concierge on a suite? I've got a 2BR suite at the GCH and I've been BEGGING for concierge upgrade and was told that NO WAY, NO HOW can you get concierge for a suite UNTIL you check in and then it's only if it's available. I've tried every way I can think of, including vacation planning and the front desk at the hotel. Same answer every time. I was told when I booked this was the policy at ALL the Disney hotels. So, what's your secret? :D

That's news to me. I called the hotel directly and booked. They asked if I wanted concierge service at $125/night, and I said yes. I'll be checking in Friday, so I will let you know if they fed me a line...

sierranevada
10-22-2005, 01:59 PM

We are going in November and we booked through WDTC. We definitely wanted concierge and we debating 2 bdrm suite or 2 connecting rooms and were told that if we did the suite, that WDTC can NOT add concierge - you have to wait till you check in and see if it is available. Since grundler booked directly with the hotel, it seems like maybe they want the "suite concierge" directly under the hotel's management?? Just a guess!

- Derail - I love your signature, grundler - I was at that game and still love hearing the broadcast - Joe Starkey was awesome! Okay - back on topic!

momtotwins
10-22-2005, 04:38 PM
That's news to me. I called the hotel directly and booked. They asked if I wanted concierge service at $125/night, and I said yes. I'll be checking in Friday, so I will let you know if they fed me a line...

Thanks...I'll be curious what your experience is. I'd love the concierge. I guess I'll try the hotel directly again...can't hurt to keep asking. All they can say is no, and note my persistance. :) You never know!