PDA

View Full Version : Different Ways to Enjoy DLR

Pat-n-Eil
10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
I was thinking and discussing Disneyland with a good friend of mine. I thought it'd be fun to go there with him. He's had some hard luck lately, and in my mind's eye I thought he'd enjoy it as he hadn't been there since the original opening of Space Mountain.

I imagine we'd enjoy some time with some lobster nachos and a couple of drinks at the Cove Bar. We'd take in Aladdin, check out Soarin' & Screamin.. (TOT would not be an option for him!). Also he's never been on Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones.. We'd have a good time.

In the past 12 years or so I've only been there with my whole family - wife & kids. As the kids have turned into teenagers, the experience is different. And while still being fun, there is not the same magic as there was when they were little. I picture taking grandkids there some day and likely enjoying it more like I did when my own kids were small.

Then again, my wife and I have discussed just going there by ourselves - which of course would be a different kind of experience yet again. More romantic experiences thrown in. Dinner at Napa Rose perhaps or more hand holding dark rides.. Still an adult experience, but very different from going with my buddy..

I wish I had the proximity and the resources to check these things out sooner than later. :)

geoffa
10-21-2005, 10:34 AM
I was thinking and discussing Disneyland with a good friend of mine. I thought it'd be fun to go there with him. He's had some hard luck lately, and in my mind's eye I thought he'd enjoy it as he hadn't been there since the original opening of Space Mountain.

I imagine we'd enjoy some time with some lobster nachos and a couple of drinks at the Cove Bar. We'd take in Aladdin, check out Soarin' & Screamin.. (TOT would not be an option for him!). Also he's never been on Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones.. We'd have a good time.

In the past 12 years or so I've only been there with my whole family - wife & kids. As the kids have turned into teenagers, the experience is different. And while still being fun, there is not the same magic as there was when they were little. I picture taking grandkids there some day and likely enjoying it more like I did when my own kids were young.

Then again, my wife and I have discussed just going there by ourselves - which of course would be a different kind of experience yet again. More romantic experiences thrown in. Dinner at Napa Rose perhaps or more hand holding dark rides.. Still an adult experience, but very different from going with my buddy..

I wish I had the proximity and the resources to check these things out sooner than later. :)

Life isn't a dress rehearsal. Cherish every day. DO IT! ;) Just DO IT!

10-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Love your post, Pat&Eil!

I've experienced Disneyland as a kid with my family, as a mom with my family, and as a "last trip to DL" with a sick relative.

I'm hoping one day that I'll get to experience Disneyland as the mother of the bride! (My husband would slit his wrists if our daughters got married at Disneyland. He's a Spouse Against Disney. Oh well, it's still a fun daydream!)

Alice Fan
10-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Lobster nachos?! I've never been to the Cove Bar, but I'm sure gonna make a point of it when we go next month!

I totally get you about the kids...ours are teenagers now, too - and the experience is different. Not at all bad, but different. They want to go off on their own (which I usually discourage, this is a FAMILY trip!), they are less than enthusiastic about some of the rides (like Small World), and my 15-year-old son told me he was "sick of parades" last time we went! My husband and I have also discussed just the two of us going, I think it would be awesome. We could walk slower, sit and watch all the parades we want, linger over a meal....hmmm, I may just have to plan a trip there for the two of us for our anniversary next April!!!

Donald Duck Fan68
10-21-2005, 11:20 AM
That's what makes Disneyland Resort such a great place. It's a different experience depending on who you are and your age, but nonetheless, it's an experience that most everyone enjoys. Typically, it's that shared positive experience that stregthens the relationship.

I've gone as a todler with my family, a pre-teen w/ family, a teenager with friends, a HS graduate on Grad Night, with my wife alone, with my wife and 1 year old son, and by myself. Each was a different experience and allowed me to experience the Park in a whole new way.

However, when I went alone I still had a great time, but realized that nothing compares to sharing the experience with the ones you love or care about–friends and family. That's why, upon returning from that experience, I immediately convinced the family that we make it happen and go this Christmas. It will be crowded, and I probably won't get to ride the Tower as many times as I want, I won't have the freedom of doing everything I want to do when I want to do it, but it's a trip I'm looking more forward to than any other.