PDA

View Full Version : Can you elaborate on "crowded"?

Pages : [1] 2

SeansMom
10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
I keep reading posts that say DL/DCA is more crowded than normal for this time of year, but what does that mean in terms of wait times for rides and ease of getting into and out of the park? Is it as busy as a normal summer day? As busy as Spring break time? Or is it just that there are 10 minute waits instead of walk on with no wait? Do you think this is a direct result of the heavy marketing of the 50th anniversary? (If so...WOW...someone in marketing should be getting hefty bonuses!)
We have reservations for November 30th to December 4th, but of course after we'd made reservations way back in April we discover the candlelight event is that week-end, and I'm beginning to seriously reconsider. Any input?

Just to fill you in...I don't love crowds, and I'll have a 4 year old and 12 year old with me, so waiting in lines won't be a lot of fun with 4 year old. (My great-niece is VERY active!)

Thanks for your input!

SCUBAbe
10-20-2005, 10:32 PM
granted i only went on 6 rides by choice last weekend, but soarin had at least 45 min wait, bugs life was walk on (but it always is), I waited 1 1/2 hours to go on space and all fast passes were gone. We waited about 45 min to an hour to go on HMH, POTC was 5 min wait, and splash was about 45 minutes, but we fast passed it. As far as crowds jamming the walkways i didn't think it was that bad, but I may be used to it now. I know it used to bother me alot.

I was at the candle light thing last year. I did not watch it, but it was horrible. the crowds were more than i could take. the CM's were yelling at people to keep moving, btu nobody could move....I was sooo ahppy when ti got rained outt he next day. :)

mkcbunny
10-20-2005, 10:52 PM
granted i only went on 6 rides by choice last weekend, but soarin had at least 45 min wait, bugs life was walk on (but it always is), I waited 1 1/2 hours to go on space and all fast passes were gone. We waited about 45 min to an hour to go on HMH, POTC was 5 min wait, and splash was about 45 minutes, but we fast passed it. As far as crowds jamming the walkways i didn't think it was that bad, but I may be used to it now. I know it used to bother me alot.
Is this at prime full-time? How crowded it is during the first hours of opening, compared to the usual?

Whittibo
10-21-2005, 07:11 AM
We always go on off-peak times. In years past we have had 5 minute or less wait times on ALL rides. This year when we were there, it was busy. Waiting on most rides 15-45 minutes. Early mornings seemed to be better, and early evenings, but it was so hot, I think people were getting worn out by 4 or 5, so that's why it was slower in the evening.

One day, I think it was a Tuesday too, we parked and went down for the trams and the line for the tram covered the whole waiting area. We walked and made it there faster then the people waiting for the tram and we even stopped in DTD to use the bathroom.

Just getting into the park, we had to wait for the security check, then wait for the gates. It wasn't fun, but wasn't miserable as I assume Summer would be.

We have 3 girls, 12, 10 and almost 7. My two youngest daughters have ADD, and it was still manageable. We also had 10 days for vacation and 8 days in the park, so we came and went as we pleased.

I think you'll be OK. We went from November 26th - December 4th last year and it was lovely with all the decorations (the weather was NOT so lovely). You won't regret it that's for sure. At least you're hitting the park when schools are back in after Thanksgiving and before Christmas breaks. That's a plus.

Just get there early, use the fast passes and plan your days. Don't just wander unless you have done everything you want to do for that day.

Darkbeer
10-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Here is the wait board for Thursday around 3 PM....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/899455/2/40848050/Large

50 minute wait for Space, 75 minute wait for Splash, 20 to 30 minute waits for many other attractions....

GrumpyUTboi
10-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Here is the deal for this weekend. In Utah it is UEA (Utah Education Association), or if you are in Anaheim it is Utahans Escape to Anaheim. The kids are out of school for Thursday and Friday and we tend to go to DL during this time. Last year was our first and last time doing this. Wait times were over an hour on many rides. We spent most of our time at DCA because of the shorter lines. I am sure that as we go for Christmas that everything will be crowded but we want to enjoy Christmas day at DL for one time in our lives, then it will be back to the off season visits.

Rteneyck
10-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Here is the wait board for Thursday around 3 PM....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/899455/2/40848050/Large

50 minute wait for Space, 75 minute wait for Splash, 20 to 30 minute waits for many other attractions....

I don't think those wait times are very bad at all. I have been there when the wait times were like 1 - 2 hours.

SCUBAbe
10-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Is this at prime full-time? How crowded it is during the first hours of opening, compared to the usual?

I have no idea. I rarely go opening to closing. Saturday we got to the park around 2pm and on Sunfday i was playing MA until 3pm. There were alot of people in DL, but getting around was not to difficult. The walkways are just so narrow there, that it doesn't take to many people to make it "feel" crowded in some areas. Opening is usually the best time to go.

SeansMom
10-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Here is the deal for this weekend. In Utah it is UEA (Utah Education Association), or if you are in Anaheim it is Utahans Escape to Anaheim. The kids are out of school for Thursday and Friday and we tend to go to DL during this time. Last year was our first and last time doing this. Wait times were over an hour on many rides. We spent most of our time at DCA because of the shorter lines. I am sure that as we go for Christmas that everything will be crowded but we want to enjoy Christmas day at DL for one time in our lives, then it will be back to the off season visits.

So in your opinion that has a big impack on the park being crowded, I take it? Who'd have guessed :confused: .
I appreciate your help!
Darkbeer, thanks for posting those times. They don't look too bad, but certainly not the usual October crowds I would guess!

ToursbabeC3po
10-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Today was extremely Busy. Like a busy summer day. Then it got worse because DCA closed early for the Halloween treat. The wait time for space was 120 mins at 8:00 PM.
Toursbabe

jpeben
10-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I was walking to Indy to use my fast pass from the Pirates Area and it took me 10 mins to get there. We were bottlenecked! There was so many people and we couldnt move at all for 10 mins. Then after I got out the cast members did their thing and it was fine. But the line for Indy went up to 65 mins. Also when the fireworks were over all I could see down mainstreet was people, I coulnd't see one bit of pavement at all. It was quite a sight! By the 2nd showing of fantasmic most people left. I walked right into the front center seating area after the fire works with no problem.

TikiGeek
10-22-2005, 04:16 AM
On Thursday the park was packed right from the start and never recovered. I was amazed at how many people were in the park from early entry - like summer - no more off season :( It used to be that the first 2 hours (even during summer) were fairly light, early entry has ended that - good marketing on Disney's part - bad news for spoiled off-season lov'in AP's like me. :mad:

disneygalforlife
10-22-2005, 05:52 AM
We always go on off-peak times.

I have heard many different ideas of when off-peak is . . . when do you go?

evrythngwmn
10-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Off peak is generally from Labor Day to Thanksgiving. This year because of the larger than normal attendance hours keep getting extended. Also the early entry again makes it more like a summer day. DL hours during the week at this time of year are generally 10a to 8p. Because of the increase in attendance this year the opening time got changed to 9a. This now means that on early entry days the park is technically opening at 8a.

I'd say crowds are comparable right now to a summer weekday. It's also very sporadic. On Thursday evening Space had an hr wait and Haunted Mansion even with Nightmare was a walk on. I was really surprised.

ToursbabeC3po
10-22-2005, 12:51 PM
On Thurs. They extended park hours by one hour because of the high attendance. I guess something is going on in the British schools and ether the schools are protesting or the teachers and they are all out of school right now and there have been a lot more tourist for this time of year then normal. Maybe someone from Britain can explain.
Toursbabe

SeansMom
10-22-2005, 08:50 PM
On Thurs. They extended park hours by one hour because of the high attendance. I guess something is going on in the British schools and ether the schools are protesting or the teachers and they are all out of school right now and there have been a lot more tourist for this time of year then normal. Maybe someone from Britain can explain.
Toursbabe

Do you think it's that, or just that everybody that didn't hit the 50th over the summer, but waited for the "low" season, is crowding into the parks now?

They are STILL doing serious 50th anniversary TV advertising in Washington state, and I'm still getting inserts with our visa card bill. I wonder what their profits will be this year? (okay, done with the derail :) ).

SeattleRedBear
10-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Hmmmm...I don't like the sound of this. We're leaving this Friday for Saturday through Tuesday at the parks. Sounds like we'll have to go a little more commando then what I had hoped (spouse is not a morning person, getting him to EE is difficult at best). I don't remember, which days are EE and does anyone have suggestions about which day would best (given Saturday through Tuesday?). Saturday EE probably not possible as we're getting in pretty late Friday night. TIA.

Elways way
10-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Just got back and I can attest to the fact that it was very crowded. It seemed just as crowded as my recent trips during spring break and early ausgust (before scjoold opened). We were there for three days (Thurs-Sat) and it was definetely equal or more than a midweek summer or spring break day. Judging by the license plates we saw.....half of Utah was at DL.

There was no real slow point that we saw! The mornings were light (rope drop until 1.5 hours after) but that was about it. It got even worse when people had their fill of DCA and flooded back into DL (probably 4:00 or so each day). DCA was incredibly crowded as well. We didn't get over there until 1:30 or so on Friday and all of the fast passes were already gone for Soarin. Seems like the roller coaster has rejuvenated the park......since I was there in August (right before schoold reopened) and it looked like a ghost town. The walkways are still much more spacious than DL.....but if you want to get on Screamin or Soarin.....you better plan on getting your fast passes early in the day.

evrythngwmn
10-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Hmmmm...I don't like the sound of this. We're leaving this Friday for Saturday through Tuesday at the parks. Sounds like we'll have to go a little more commando then what I had hoped (spouse is not a morning person, getting him to EE is difficult at best). I don't remember, which days are EE and does anyone have suggestions about which day would best (given Saturday through Tuesday?). Saturday EE probably not possible as we're getting in pretty late Friday night. TIA.

Early entry is every Mon, Tues, Thurs and Saturday. In your case Monday or Tuesday would probably be your best bet.

passthepixiedust
10-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Toursbabe
Actually, schools in British Columbia, Canada have been out for the last two weeks due to a teacher's strike. I really doubt that that would have much of an impact though.

screamin4ever
10-23-2005, 09:34 AM
We went two Sundays ago just to ride Haunted Mansion and Spce Mountain. We arrived at 12:30 and the Fastpass return time for Space Mountain was 8:40 with a standby wait of 100 minutes. So we skipped it for this trip. Mansion was reasonable with Fastpass return times about 45 minutes after issue and a standby of 30 minutes. The rest of the park was busier than usual with disoriented crowds seeming to be crashing into each other more than normal. It was odd.

Check your calendar carefully before planning a trip. Apparently religious holidays have now become excused school absence, Disney days for many folks. Truant for God. Ahhhh capitalism at its best.

SCUBAbe
10-23-2005, 09:39 AM
I wonder if the car a day give away for october is causing this??....I guess we'll find out when november gets here..:)

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-23-2005, 11:04 AM
got a call this morning from a friend who has been at DL all weekend, she said it was as busy if not buseir than when she went this summer.

They go every year around the same time and they have never seen crowds such as these.

Making me very nervous for my December trip as the DLH and the GCH are all ready listed as sold out for a midweek trip the first week in Dec.

Darkbeer
10-23-2005, 11:15 AM
It is as simple as this..

Disney has been adding additional hours to park operation, and have been paying the CM's a lot in extra hours and overtime.

Disney would ONLY do this if they are getting larger crowds than expected/normal.

mariezp
10-23-2005, 01:04 PM
We were at Disneyland Oct. 2 through Oct. 12. The park was considerably more crowded than the last 5 years that we have went at various times in October. We began each day somewhere between 9am-10:30am. It didn't seem to make a difference. Anytime we arrived there was about a 10-15 minute line to get in the gate. We napped in the afternoons. Everytime we came back between 5pm-6pm there was another line to get back into the park, which was also about the same 10-15 minute wait. Moving around the park was really slow close to parade time. Try to not have to move around close to Fantasmic time! Getting out of the park in the evening was also extremely congested. It seemed there was slightly less attendance on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Some lines were better than others. Some examples: Close to parade time we were able to walk onto Small World. Other times it had probably a 30 minute wait. Peter Pan was ALWAYS crowded! 30 minute wait, atleast. Dumbo, anywhere from 5-25 minutes. Storybook boat, 10-45 minutes. Splash Mountain, 20 min.- 45 min. Autopia, 20 minutes. Big Thunder, 15-30 minutes. Buzz lightyear-15 minute. Pirates, 5-10 minutes. Indianna Jones, 25 minutes. Alice in Wonderland 15-20 minutes.
All things condsidered... you can still have a great time! We did!