PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Christmas Tree

paulca
10-20-2005, 06:24 PM
When is the Disneyland Christmas Tree actually put out on main street? I heard its the night of Oct 31st? Is the Christmas tree at Disneyland already and is it being decorated backstage?

disneyhound
10-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Santa brings it on Christmas Eve!

Darkbeer
10-20-2005, 06:33 PM
It shows up EARLY on November 11th, before park opening.... The first official day of the Christmas season at the DLR

Whittibo
10-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Another thread I shouldn't have read. :( Oh how I loved Disneyland at Christmas time.

Surfingstitch
10-20-2005, 09:55 PM
I thought it was the 1st of November too.

Sad I will miss seeing the tree.

GrumpyUTboi
10-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Last year on Oct 31 there were 4 men digging as if their whole existence depended on getting a huge hole dug as fast as they could. My wife and I watched at midnight as these men were sweating and digging. We decided to come back the next day to see how deep the hole was and to our suprise, on November 1st the Christmas tree with all of its decorations were up and Main Street and the shops were decorated as well. We were really suprised that over a 10 hour period they were able to transform DL from Halloween to Christmas decorations.

Whittibo
10-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Last year on Oct 31 there were 4 men digging as if their whole existence depended on getting a huge hole dug as fast as they could. My wife and I watched at midnight as these men were sweating and digging. We decided to come back the next day to see how deep the hole was and to our suprise, on November 1st the Christmas tree with all of its decorations were up and Main Street and the shops were decorated as well. We were really suprised that over a 10 hour period they were able to transform DL from Halloween to Christmas decorations.

Ahhhh.. the MAGIC of Disneyland. :D

Tinker Bell
10-21-2005, 09:31 AM
When on the tram from Mickey and Freinds you can see the Tree Back stage.

geoffa
10-21-2005, 09:47 AM

Digging a hole? The hole is already there isn't it but hidden (under the bandstand ??) Can't imagine they'd dig a new hole every year. Migh have been for the electrics or something. Can a CM advise on this? And since they did away with using real trees - they come in round segments (or they do at WDW because we saw them preparing it in October 2001 on a backstage tour).:rolleyes:

poohray
10-21-2005, 06:34 PM
For three years going The GF and I have been at DL on Halloween. The next day on november first the tree is up! It Is Magic how they transform so dramatically. The staff told us that it takes until thanksgiving to get all decorations up but I guess this year they are going to be early with a Nov. 11 official start. This year we are going a weekend before thanksgiving because we want to see the full swing instad of the week of gradual transformation punctuated by amazing efforts.

It is a truly a spectacular change overnight enjoy it!

evrythngwmn
10-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Digging a hole? The hole is already there isn't it but hidden (under the bandstand ??) Can't imagine they'd dig a new hole every year. Migh have been for the electrics or something. Can a CM advise on this? And since they did away with using real trees - they come in round segments (or they do at WDW because we saw them preparing it in October 2001 on a backstage tour).:rolleyes:

There is a floral circle area year round in the spot where the tree goes at Christmas. There is no bandstand.

RStar
10-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Digging a hole? The hole is already there isn't it but hidden (under the bandstand ??) Sorry, no bandstand, just flowers. I see no problem digging a hole each year, it isn't a huge hole.

And since they did away with using real trees - they come in round segments (or they do at WDW because we saw them preparing it in October 2001 on a backstage tour).:rolleyes:Sorry, real tree. They do add to it with fake branches to fill in the bare spots. It's just covered with a thick flame retardent to keep it from drying out and going up in flames. There is also pine sent in the retardent. If you go up to it and bend a needle, you'll see it's real.

Darkbeer
10-21-2005, 11:33 PM
The tree is backstage, basically behind Splash Mountain...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/901970/4/40986691/Large

leotatoombs
10-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I think they dig up the flower bed & there is something that pulls up over where tree is placed/put in /anchored

leotatoombs
10-21-2005, 11:51 PM

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/901970/4/40986691/LargeInteresting! I'm so used to seing it be put up at behind It's a small world/parade lot backstage.

Darkbeer
10-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Interesting! I'm so used to seing it be put up at behind It's a small world/parade lot backstage.

I have seen it here in other years, prior to going onstage....

I knew exactly where to look to find it.... (photo is from the top of the parking structure).

geoffa
10-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Sorry, no bandstand, just flowers. I see no problem digging a hole each year, it isn't a huge hole.

Sorry, real tree. They do add to it with fake branches to fill in the bare spots. It's just covered with a thick flame retardent to keep it from drying out and going up in flames. There is also pine sent in the retardent. If you go up to it and bend a needle, you'll see it's real.

Thanks for that. Just thought it would be easier to have a permanent hole fixture that was covered like they have town centres and other places do. Must be a deep hole to support it seeing as it must be some 40 to 50 feet high. But can assure you the WDW version is artificial - rather like the rings of a donut descending in size - saw it all laid out at the workshops in 2001:fez:

leotatoombs
10-22-2005, 12:06 AM

I knew exactly where to look to find it.... (photo is from the top of the parking structure).That's why it so intersting! not a lot af people would recognize it! with all that camo. it's funny especially with the new park in the backround! Very cool photo! It used to get filled in & painted behind SW.

geoffa
10-22-2005, 12:12 AM

I knew exactly where to look to find it.... (photo is from the top of the parking structure).

Thanks for the photo Darkbeer. Your pictures are always so great.
Post Script: re previous comments by me. I'm assured there is a fixture below soil level. They just dig down to get to it each year. The bandstand thing is DLP - got my parks confused - sorry - and a Merry Christmas to us all!

disneyhound
10-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Great pictures as usual, thanks Darkbeer