PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Run down and Mullholland Madness back

justagrrl
03-09-2002, 08:56 AM
So...Grizzly Run is down now...

and Mullholland Madness is back up. I was so suprised to see this running last night. Haven't been on it yet - what's the scoop. Good right for kids and grownups alike? Or more of a kiddy thing?

mousey_girl
03-09-2002, 10:00 AM
The Boy loves this ride (although he liked GRR better). He and the hubby went on it 3 times in a row our first night. The hubby seemed to like it too. I went on it with them once, I liked it, but towards the end my neck and shoulder felt it. (had a car accident a year ago and have to watch what I ride)

It is worth riding at least once...

disneynut
03-09-2002, 01:56 PM
My 4 y/o loves MM but it scares the daylights out of my husband. I shouldn't talk~I won't even go on it. :eek:

JoeCanadian
03-09-2002, 03:47 PM
When MM is down is it common for a few CM's to stand guard by the gate while the cars are still running on the track?

On my visit I found it extremely strange they'd tease out of town visitors that way. And they stood there ALL day, from about noon till about 6 while the ride looked like it was going through test runs. Must be a fun job...

Nigel2
03-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Yeah that always made me wonder... if it isn't being worked on and it isn't cycling before it opens what is the point of running it? Mabey they are doing a long haul saftey test since this ride does not stop unless the bars on the car are up when it reaches the lift.

Brown Monkey
03-10-2002, 01:03 AM
So Mulholland Madness is finally open again? If you've had the chance to ride or see it, please describe the new wall and brake system. What were the final changes? Do they effect your experience while riding the ride? Do you even notice any changes?

HBTiggerFan
03-10-2002, 09:37 AM
GRR was running with an hour wait yesterday afternoon while MM was closed up tight...This was around 1-2ish.... :confused:

justagrrl
03-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Yeah - I don't get it. We were there today and GRR was running just fine - and MM was closed!!! Go figure. Friday night I know there were people on it as we watched them for a few minutes. Today though - MM was running empty cars when we walked by.

So - apparently - don't listen to me at all. :)

tikiboy
03-10-2002, 08:32 PM
When MM is down is it common for a few CM's to stand guard by the gate while the cars are still running on the track?

Yes, whenever an attraction is not scheduled to be "down" they will have CMs out front letting people know what's going on.

And since MM was announced as coming back on Friday, I'm sure some people were upset that it was closed.

When I was there on Sat. they were just cycling, and telling people that it wasn't open.

Sophie832
03-10-2002, 10:08 PM
GauchoGrad99 and I were at DCA on Friday around 4:00, and we rode MM. It has railings on the side of the cars to the right and left of where your head is when you sit. I'd never been on it before, so I can't say if this changed the ride. I didn't notice anything different from the descriptions of MM before. It surprised me with its force on the turns, so I can understand the railings, although I didn't even touch them the whole time. The cars still load continuously, and sometimes stop to allow handicapped passengers or to give the CMs time to add the special cover to the lap bar for a child.

GRR was running the entire time we were at the park, so I don't think it's closed at all.

Uncle Dick
03-11-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
So...Grizzly Run is down now...
It'll be back up next week.

and Mullholland Madness is back up. I was so suprised to see this running last night. Haven't been on it yet - what's the scoop. Good right for kids and grownups alike? Or more of a kiddy thing?
MM is complete garbage, for anyone. The ride is in no way fun and is actually rather painful (especially if you're tall like me). Ride it only if you've done everything else (including all three daily shows of "The Power of BLAST!") and are a masochist. ;) Seriously, I've ridden it twice and have at no time derived any enjoyment from it. I'd rather wait in line for three hours for Dumbo than walk on MM. It's the worst attraction I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. :)

zapppop
03-11-2002, 05:13 AM
okay I went on GRR Saturday & Sunday and it was working just fine and MM was operating ( but I didn't ride that one ).

Ghoulish Delight
03-11-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

MM is complete garbage, for anyone. The ride is in no way fun and is actually rather painful (especially if you're tall like me). Ride it only if you've done everything else (including all three daily shows of "The Power of BLAST!") and are a masochist. ;) Seriously, I've ridden it twice and have at no time derived any enjoyment from it. I'd rather wait in line for three hours for Dumbo than walk on MM. It's the worst attraction I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. :) Your opinions is your opinion, Dick. Personally, MM is very near the top of my list in that park. I am a big coaster enthusiast. I have not been scared/startled by a ride in a long long time. That ride scares me, in all the right ways. It's simple, it's short, but the turns are quick, the drop is totally unexpected, and you feel out of control! Too much fun!!

Brown Monkey
03-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Your opinions is your opinion, Dick. Personally, MM is very near the top of my list in that park. I am a big coaster enthusiast. I have not been scared/startled by a ride in a long long time. That ride scares me, in all the right ways. It's simple, it's short, but the turns are quick, the drop is totally unexpected, and you feel out of control! Too much fun!!

Amen to that, Ghoulish! I love MM. :D

Brown Monkey
03-11-2002, 08:53 AM
I forgot to post this all together, but if GRR is closed (or is it now open?), I hope that one of the reasons is to fix the spin at the final drop. The last two times I went to DCA, it wasn't working. I hope it is now, or will be soon. The ride doesn't feel complete without the spin. It's the best part!

mousey_girl
03-11-2002, 08:54 AM
My guys loved MM. I would have gone on it more too, but a) my neck was bothering me, and b) I wanted to get a good seat for the parade.

I understand that the idea of this message board is to express different opinions, but that is exactly what they are, opinions. Just because someone else may or may not like the same things you do does not make them wrong nor does it make you wrong...one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Opinions should be stated as such. I try to remember to say "I think that..." before any opinion of mine.

I love MM too. :)

Once and for all, GRR is OPEN, and the spin is working. We rode it on Sunday and it was great, as usual.

Have you ever noticed just how simple the spinning "mechanism" is? It's just a board on the right side and rollers on the left. The board grabs the raft on one side while the rollers let it spin on the other. BRILLIANT!

SteveCJB2001
03-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Went to DCA on Sun and MM was back up and GRR was running too with the spin working to everytime I saw it running including the 50 min wait I waited in to ride it.

ishkabibble
03-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Rode MM for first time on Sunday - while although I'm not in total agreement with Uncle Dick (c'mon Unc. Don't sugar-coat it, tell us how you really feel) "I think that..." most adults would find it rather disappointing, but probably okay for the 8 year-old gadget kiddy coaster set...

Uncle Dick
03-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Opinions should be stated as such. I try to remember to say "I think that..." before any opinion of mine.
Hey, justagrrl asked for the scoop, and I call it how I see it. :D MM is the only attraction at the DLR that I actively dislike.

Once and for all, GRR is OPEN, and the spin is working. We rode it on Sunday and it was great, as usual.
Hmmmmm... but it's listed as closed on the refurb schedule. Hmmmmm.... A mystery indeed.

Ghoulish Delight
03-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Hmmmmm... but it's listed as closed on the refurb schedule. Hmmmmm.... A mystery indeed.

The refurb schedule is notoriously inaccurate. Never trust it.

jslivinski
04-03-2002, 09:04 AM
My son (7) and I loved it. It wasn't at all what I expected and I am glad there were a couple of pre-teen boys in line with us that warned me it's not a "kiddy" coaster.

I would recommend trying it once, if coasters appeal to you.

opus
04-03-2002, 10:55 AM
I liked MM enough to go on it several times. My kids loved it too. The drop was great too, as my wife thought MM was a calm rollercoaster. Man, that was funny. She screamed really loud, and I couldn't stop laughing for minutes.