PDA

View Full Version : Splash Soundtrack

mariogarza
10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Does anybody know if Splash Mountain has always had the same soundtrack??? It's just that I found this file that I got years ago...and looks like the soundtrack of Splash Mountain but sounds quite weird...

If anyone is interested, the track is here...
http://www.geocities.com/mariogarzacruces/
and it's 2.3MB

Mario:geek:

disneyhound
10-20-2005, 05:10 AM
Sounds like what I remember, "How do you do" and all...

Daveylegs
10-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Wow! What a great recording. You can sure hear Thurl on that track. I'm wondering if that's possibly from Song of the South? The more I listen, the more it makes me think it's the original sound track (it's clearly a record). What great music!!

DangerMouse
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Nope, that's not the current music being played in the ride. I have no idea where this is from. Perhaps was used earlier on Splash, but has been updated since? It's not original from Song of the South, either. You would hear Uncle Remus and the kids singing on that one. Maybe it's used in other Disney parks? I hear Thurl loud and clear as well. I'm stumped. Anyone?

mariogarza
10-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Excuse me, but who is Thurl?

From what I remember, when I downloaded it I think it said that it was from MK, but if I remember correctly the MK's Splash Mountain doesn't have the part with mother rabbit, and the track do includes Sooner or Later...

I would say it's a rare old track from Disneyland...or maybe Tokyo's soundtrack....someone? Certainly, it isn't from the movie...just by the lyrics.

DangerMouse
10-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Excuse me, but who is Thurl?

Thurl Ravenscroft provided voices for many DL attractions including Pirates, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, the DL RR and Haunted Manison. He was the voice of Kirby in the Brave Little Toaster movies. He was best known as the voice of Tony the Tiger. For more info try this link: http://members.aol.com/allthurl/biography.htm

He recently died at the age of 91. :crying:

mkcbunny
10-20-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't think MK has the mother rabbit, either. I've always thought DLR's version was scarier because of having it. But this track is definitely not in use in either park. Like many people, I haven't seen SotS in years, so I can't tell you if this is a film-track composite. Maybe that's what they used for the ride originally? That said, the Sooner or Later part seems too long to me for the ride.

stan4d_steph
10-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Compare this version to the one on the History of DL CD set. It's not the same. This version seems like a temp track pieced together from the movie soundtrack.

srfantasmic
10-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Since we're on the topic of Splash Mountain Soundtrack...

I've been listening to the 50th Musical History CD. There's a part on the Splash Mountain track called "sooner or later". I've never heard that part on the actual ride. Is it there? Was it removed or something?

geoffa
10-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Since we're on the topic of Splash Mountain Soundtrack...

I've been listening to the 50th Musical History CD. There's a part on the Splash Mountain track called "sooner or later". I've never heard that part on the actual ride. Is it there? Was it removed or something?

The Mother rabbit sings it to her young doesn't she??????:rolleyes:

mariogarza
10-21-2005, 09:52 AM
The Mother rabbit sings it to her young doesn't she??????:rolleyes:

The Mother does sing to the little rabbits at the start of the final lift hill, but If I recall correctly, she used to sing Sooner or Later, but was then changed to another song, which I can remember it's name...I'm looking for more info...

mariogarza
10-21-2005, 12:23 PM
OK...I've been searching for this...now I'm becoming a splash sounstrack expert....:p

...no, the music from the track that I posted it's not from the movie, You can confirm this by comparing the lyrics from the movie and from the ride...they are quite different, cause it seems that they changed the lyrics to match with the ride's stoyline....
You can compare the lyrics here... http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/splash.htm

And apparently yes, the ride had a different soundtrack when it opened...and it's the track that I posted about......I don't know when they updated it.....

quote from: Hidden Mickeys.com
Splash Mountain originally opened with a slightly different soundtrack and theme than currently plays at the attraction. Most notable is the complete change of a song just before the long ride to the top of the flume. What was originally somewhat of a hopeful "Sooner or later Brer Rabbit is gonna come home..." being sung by mama Rabbit and Possum is now a more forboding warning of a song to their children. I originally noted the song being sung here because of the ride breaking down and our log getting stuck in this area (when you hear it 20+ times, you start to remember the melody..), and on a return visit the changes were apparent. ---

Both the old and the new soundtrack that you hear on the ride have basically this segments...

-Beggining with some ambiental music before the first drop, right after the first lift hill....
-"How do you do" with some critters at the end humming "uhh u, uuuuh u" to the music...
-The Bees buzzing "Everybody's got a Laughing place"
-"Everybody's got a Laughing place"
-Mrs. Rabbit singing at the beggining of the final lift hill, which you can hear for about 20 secs....that's why so many people don't even notice this part...
-Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

However, the differences between the old and the new soundtrack are mainly at "how do you do", it was updated and the Thurl Ravenscroft solo was removed...now there's a chorus singing that part...also, this song is a bit longer now, with some verses addded at the end, and still you can hear the critters humming.....

The Bees buzzing "Everybody's Got A Laughing Place" are still the same recording than in the first soundtrack.....this didn't changed, but the song did change....not the lyrics, just the recording....

Then the major difference comes with Mrs. Rabbit....she used to sing "Sooner or Later", this song was from the movie but was later replaced by "Borrow's Lament", and certainly it's quite scary this song...you can read the lyircs here: http://www.songofthesouth.net/splashmtn/music/sooner-or-later.html
(BTW, if anyone knows this song by Madonna from the soundtrack of Dick Tracy would notice the resemblace with "Sooner or Later" and coincidetaly the song is also named "Sooner or Later"...:eek:

The final song, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" stayed the same recording, except for some minor changes, since they updated the voices at the other songs...but the music and lyrics are still the same.......

So, when it comes to the tracks at the albums...the old soundtrack I don't think you can get it in any CD...I've only listened to it on the track that I downloaded..........And the closest you can get to the current soundtrack it's the one at the 6cd set....it's not exactly the same (as most of the soundtracks of the rides) but very close........In the CD, starts directly with "how do you do" and doesn't have the ambiental music from the begging and also you wont hear the humming critters at the end of "How do you do"....It does have the bees and there's no difference with "Everybody's Got A Laughing Place"........Then I don't know why they decided to place in the CD "Sooner or Later" and apparently it was re-recorded, cause Mrs. Rabbit sings with a lower tone than in the original soundtrack, which makes her sound a bit sexy ;) , or maybe it's just the pitch....Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah it's the same....

So there it is...anyone knows when the soundtrack was updated????
And for those who don't remember "Borrow's Lament", the song that Mrs. Rabbit currently sings (the scariest part of the ride IMO), or for those who don't even remember the existance of this character, I uploaded this little 1.2MB video of this part, just at the start of the final lift hilll....
http://www.geocities.com/mariogarzacruces/

Mario:geek: