PDA

View Full Version : "Smiley" and Inappropriate Behavior in Public

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PragmaticIdealist
10-19-2005, 04:08 AM
The thread about the mentally-disabled guest who visits Disneyland on a daily basis, alone and unattended, is not a rumor. Just as several annual-Passport holders use Disneyland as a babysitter for children and adolescents, some people also use Disneyland as a babysitter for their adults who happen to have mental disabilities.

The practice needs to stop because the guest in question has engaged in behavior that has been very disruptive to the Disneyland experience and has made Disney employees feel uncomfortable and, at times, violated.

His guardians need to accompany him on visits, and Disneyland should force the issue regardless of the mother's threat of a lawsuit.

disneyhound
10-19-2005, 04:33 AM
It may take the threat of a "class action lawsuit" by a group of CM's, AP'ers and Guests who have been "harmed" as a result of DL's tolerance of this persons inappropriate behavior...

10-19-2005, 04:50 AM
If employees feel violated at the workplace, there are both federal and state laws in place to protect them.

Please report any on-the-job harrassment. Give Disney management the opportunity to address the complaint(s).

In addition, "Smiley" or his representative should have the right to address any complaints. On this board, we are hearing only one side. Please allow "Smiley" due process. Let's avoid the indignity of trying and convicting this person on MousePad.

Neon Cactus
10-19-2005, 05:14 AM
What sort of behavior is "Smiley" engaging in? I agree that Disneyland should not be used as a babysitting service, but if it's a place that Smiley enjoys visiting, then as an adult and annual passholder, he certainly has that right. However, he does have to abide by the park's rules. I'm just interested in hearing what sort of behavior he's doing that takes away from the Disneyland experience. Like the above post said, this is the wrong place to try and convict him.

stan4d_steph
10-19-2005, 05:45 AM
If this person is violating law or Disney policy, then there are channels to use to address those problems. I'm not really sure what you hope to accomplish by bringing this up here. I agree with Helen; we're only seeing one side of the issue and Smiley's side of the story is not being presented.

RStar
10-19-2005, 05:45 AM
The last thread about him was closed due to poking fun at the lewd acts he was reported doing. It sounds like he may be "special" and not understand that doing such behavior in public is wrong. It's where I believe he got his cruel nickname smiley.

But I have a real hard time believing that DL would allow such activity to continue. And with all the people there with cameras to document that it happends, you'd think that it would be stopped right away. I don't think I've heard about anyone on MP seeing him. Have you seen him actually do this, PragmaticIdealist?

Otherwise, I'm tending to urban legend with this one. I have seen Disney security with my own eyes kick out (or make them leave to change) a group of kids because of what their shirts said, and they are going to allow this? I highly doubt it. I know the Disney lawyers are afraid of getting sued by people with dissabilities, but this would never win, so I doubt that could be the reason to tolerate it.

And please don't let this thread become fodder for cheep dirty jokes and get locked like the last one. The subject is how DL handles the inaproprate behavior.

disneyhound
10-19-2005, 08:09 AM
...I'm tending to urban legend with this one. I have seen Disney security with my own eyes kick out (or make them leave to change) a group of kids because of what their shirts said, and they are going to allow this? I highly doubt it...You hit the nail on the head!

sdfilmcritic
10-19-2005, 08:16 AM
In addition, "Smiley" or his representative should have the right to address any complaints. On this board, we are hearing only one side. Please allow "Smiley" due process. Let's avoid the indignity of trying and convicting this person on MousePad.I agree with you on this point. This is a public forum and not a government recognized trial hearing.

adriennek
10-19-2005, 08:20 AM
The practice needs to stop because the guest in question has engaged in behavior that has been very disruptive to the Disneyland experience and has made Disney employees feel uncomfortable and, at times, violated.

His guardians need to accompany him on visits, and Disneyland should force the issue regardless of the mother's threat of a lawsuit.

So far the only thing I've heard about this individual is from anonymous screennames so I have to put the lawsuit story in the urban legend category.

If this person has violated the law, Disney needs to document this and it would be a reason to take action against him, regardless of his mother's alleged threat.

If this person has not violated the law then it becomes subjective. Making people uncomfortable is not against the law.

What has the union said? I would imagine that if people are feeling violated they would get the Union involved if Disney was not adequately taking care of their employees. At least that's been my experience with unions.

Adrienne

mariogarza
10-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Honestly, I don’t think that’s true, If you ask me, someone wants to start a urban legend...never heard about it before this week and believe me, it would hit the news...public exhibitionism is not a legal activity anywhere, and that includes Disneyland...

going2disneyAZ
10-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Moderator's note: link removed because of explicit material. -3894/Helen

I am not judging anyone but this may help you out if you think this is a legend. Many CMs post here.

Neon Cactus
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
They need to find another nickname for him. Isn't Smiley the big croc on the Jungle Cruise always looking for a hand out?;)

ToursbabeC3po
10-19-2005, 12:02 PM
The guest you are referring to has been kicked out and his pass was taken away but that was several years ago when I was working on Circle Vision. His pass was reinstated but I have no idea if it was because of a lawsuit. If there was a lawsuit because of it I would have been there and I was not I wrote a statement and that was it. Yes, I was there when he performed the Act in the theater. This happened many years ago and he is mentally impaired like I said before I believe he is autistic. If he does this to any other cast member then they need to write a statement but I know that because he had a consequence (his pass taken away) His behavior has improved.
If his behavior has not improved and he is starting up again please take it up with a manager and if a manager does not do anything take it up with the Union. Security is well aware of him. One thing you have to realize about Disney Security is they will tell you to turn your shirt inside out and they will bust cast members but when it comes to the big stuff they tend to back off. They are always afraid of getting sued. I had a guy push me at Star Tours and threaten me and all I asked is if the guy could leave the park or I could leave my shift and they gave him Backdoor passes!!!!! I was so mad but what can you do? I left my shift but on my own terms and got points for it.
Anyway's I am kind of getting off topic but yes there is a guy that did this stuff but I am not sure if it still goes on and he is mentally imapaired so keep that in mind. I really think this is a touchy subject because I don't think he knows what he is doing. It would really help if a parent was with him at the park.
Toursbabe

10-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Imagine that "Smiley" is your brother. Or cousin. Or uncle.

Would you want his abilities, diagnosis, and actions discussed here? Or would you prefer that the CMs took their complaints through proper channels at work?

going2disneyAZ
10-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Imagine that "Smiley" is your brother. Or cousin. Or uncle.

Would you want his abilities, diagnosis, and actions discussed here? Or would you prefer that the CMs took their complaints through proper channels at work?

I have not nor will not attack this person on a board, but if he were my relative he would not be going to DL unattended - if his actions even came close to what has been reported by CMs. I certainly would not threaten legal to ensure his "right" to attend DL because it is "good" for whatever ailment he has, as has been alleged. I agree with respecting a persons privacy but this person's guardians (parents) dont seem to have enough respect for others to send a chaperone with him to the park....

leotatoombs
10-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Rumors fly at DL!!! I used to go every day literally at one time,from about the age of 13 to 21 mostly alone! It's the loners they peg it seems! The parade dept. once passed around a rumor that I would expose myself or masturbate to the parade in the bushes! (I would like to know where I could conceal myself in bushes along parade route Especially say in 1986? LOL) They Sure acted alot different when I turned 16 & got a perm CM position in parades!!!
Also recently, around DL's Bday I went to my car to change.(I see people change in their car changing all the time WHole families sometimes! any way I Just finished changing, when 3 large security vans pulled up!(I was in Handicapped parking & no one was around) they held me their talking back & forth on the radio about me. They thought I was trying to expose myself to children! NOT SO! I Kept trying to explain I would Never do Something Knowingly To detriment My Acces to "The Happiest Place on Earth"! I was was in constant tears & shaking it hurt so much that they would think something like this! They finally let me go asking me why I was crying? DUH! stupid SO & SO's I LOVE Disneyland I always want to keep my priveledge to be able to share the magic with thousands of others. A lady with her child On their way in consolled me & made me SMILE! they hung out a bit until my spirits lifted! I'm getting teary eyed now thinking about how grateful I am To That stranger!
Any way just had to vent! :D

DianeM
10-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Have you actually seen this person behaving inappropriately? If not, then it's a rumor, and a very hard one to believe. I simply can't accept that DL management would risk losing business and having horrible publicity when people with children saw the inappropriate behaviour. I have learned to always to run things past a "smell test". This doesn't make sense. DL is very careful to protect it's image, and something like this could do a lot of damage. It doesn't pass the "smell test".

It's amazing how easily something can go from rumor to "fact". Go read Snopes.com a bit and you'll find out that a lot of things you know are true really arent.

The thread about the mentally-disabled guest who visits Disneyland on a daily basis, alone and unattended, is not a rumor. Just as several annual-Passport holders use Disneyland as a babysitter for children and adolescents, some people also use Disneyland as a babysitter for their adults who happen to have mental disabilities.

TahoeBob
10-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Have you actually seen this person behaving inappropriately? If not, then it's a rumor, and a very hard one to believe. I simply can't accept that DL management would risk losing business and having horrible publicity when people with children saw the inappropriate behaviour. I have learned to always to run things past a "smell test". This doesn't make sense. DL is very careful to protect it's image, and something like this could do a lot of damage. It doesn't pass the "smell test".

It's amazing how easily something can go from rumor to "fact". Go read Snopes.com a bit and you'll find out that a lot of things you know are true really arent.

Not only does it not pass the smell test, but it is a old story that has been used in many places in years past. My brother in law who use to work legal for who ever owned Marine World when it was in Redwood City, Calif told me stories like this all the time. In fact there was one that "had a mentaly chalanged man who was droped off everyday they were open by someone and he was said to be doing things that were the same as the DL person"

sorry but this one is just not true.

Bob

PragmaticIdealist
10-19-2005, 11:06 PM
I used to work for Walt Disney, and, yes, the person in question still visits Disneyland on an almost daily basis. I see him virtually every time I am there.

He is always by himself. He's in his thirties. And, he has reddish hair.

He makes a ritual of visiting the Disneyland Railroad at closing time, and he always sits next to the safety position of the conductor. If one of the conductors is female, he will choose to be by her.

I am not sure if there have been any recent incidents, but I do know that The Company did not want to engage in a fight with this particular guest's family.

Again, I have know problem with this guest visiting Disneyland, but he should be accompanied by a guardian.

PragmaticIdealist
10-19-2005, 11:29 PM
The last thread about him was closed due to poking fun at the lewd acts he was reported doing. It sounds like he may be "special" and not understand that doing such behavior in public is wrong. It's where I believe he got his cruel nickname smiley.

I think the nickname is not meant to be cruel. The guest just happens to smile often and in a distinctive way.

Management is well aware of him, and so is security. But, Disneyland Hostesses often have to try to adjust themselves to avoid being alone with him. Disneyland, over the last decade, has not protected its Hosts and Hostesses as well as The Company would have the general public believe. For example, employees have to sign an agreement stating that they will not press charges against guests if they happen to commit crimes against said employees on the premises.

10-20-2005, 03:48 AM
Disneyland, over the last decade, has not protected its Hosts and Hostesses as well as The Company would have the general public believe.

That's why the union exists. The appropriate place to take this is: 1) management and 2) union.

Crazy4DL
10-20-2005, 07:52 AM
. For example, employees have to sign an agreement stating that they will not press charges against guests if they happen to commit crimes against said employees on the premises.

I am sorry, but that seems to be a ridiculous statement. :confused:

So you are saying, heaven forbid, an employee is raped by a guest they can not press charges? or are you talking only certain "crimes"?

My common sense tells me there is no way that can be correct.

PragmaticIdealist
10-20-2005, 09:31 AM
The appropriate place to take this is: 1) management and 2) union.

I'm sorry, but is there a reason I, or anyone else, should not be discussing this issue on MousePad?

Do guests not also have an interest in unattended adults with mental disabilities being let loose in Disneyland?

Does the general public not also have an interest in knowing the business practices of The Walt Disney Company with regard to the employees and their working conditions?

I do not work for Walt Disney. However, I do visit Disneyland, and I do have an equity interest in The Company.

For those reasons, I have a responsibility to not only call upon Disneyland management to address the issue adequately, but to also inform other guests of the potential problem.

Incidentally, I find the notion that the unions can improve the situation to be quite naive and simplistic.

adriennek
10-20-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm sorry, but is there a reason I, or anyone else, should not be discussing this issue on MousePad?

Do guests not also have an interest in unattended adults with mental disabilities being let loose in Disneyland?

Because we don't know the whole story and have no way to check the credibility of hearsay. Because it's not fair to characterize adults with mental disabilities as being "dangerous". Because I have friends who have disabilities and I don't want to create an environment where we automatically assume that someone is dangerous because they are different.

Does the general public not also have an interest in knowing the business practices of The Walt Disney Company with regard to the employees and their working conditions?

Yes, but it's still hearsay.

For those reasons, I have a responsibility to not only call upon Disneyland management to address the issue adequately, but to also inform other guests of the potential problem.

And I still get to voice my concerns and skepticism. I have a responsibility to do that, too.

Incidentally, I find the notion that the unions can improve the situation to be quite naive and simplistic.

Why? Isn't that the point of the union? When I was in a union, if my managers were not adequately listening to my concerns or protecting me to our 'clients' then I could file a grievance and the union would investigate and the managers were held accountable. Does the Disney Union not have a grievance policy and procedure? If not, what exactly are the CM's paying union dues for?

Adrienne

Noah
10-20-2005, 09:43 AM
In regards to the statements made by PragmaticIdealist: "Do guests not also have an interest in unattended adults with mental disabilities being let loose in Disneyland?"

I find that statement very offensive and do not believe that this board should be subjected to this type of mindset.
Discriminating guests on basis of Religion, Race, Gender, Physical or Mental abilities is WRONG. If there is someone who is making you uncomfortable or if you see dangerous behavior you are obligated to report that behavior to a CM or Security. But to discriminate against mentaly disabled people as I feel you have been eluding to in your posts is wrong and has no place at Disneyland or Mouseplanet as far as I am concerned.