PDA

View Full Version : SoCal freeway advice [Driving to DL][merged]

ferliemom
10-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Hi All,

I live in Ventura County, and we often come down for an afternoon/evening trip to the parks.
Problem: Somehow 80 miles, give or take, turns into a 3 hour car trip with traffic!! :crying: So... Any freeway advice?
How do those of you who come in from the 101 get there?
The fastest way for me is the 101 to the 5, but it's a parking lot in the afternoon.
Does anyone else up this way go the 126 to the 5? Does that save time?
How about the 134 to the 210, cutting down the 57 to the 91 and then heading west? It doesn't *seem* like that would save time, but who the heck knows?? ;)

Thanks!

SoCalSteven
10-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Well, your "134 to the 210, cutting down the 57 to the 91" sounds good to me. I'm coming from Victorville (nearly 80 miles) and I take the 210 to the 57 to the 91 and it only takes me an hour and a half tops.

potzbie
10-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Advice?
Avoid the rush hour.
Go before or after.

If you go during rush hour, then take the train (Metro Link or Amtrak), to one of the two closest terminals (Anaheim or Fullerton) and then take either a bus or a taxi to DL.

I have driven to DL during rush hour.
I took surface streets.
I have taken Rosemead Bl./Lakewood Bl. south toward Long Beach (and north again, going home), but before Long Beach itself I veer east and take either Imperial or a similar eastbound main drag, and then drop south on some major street so that I can take either Lincoln Ave. or Ball Rd. east for the majority of the distance.

(It is exactly 25 minutes between the 605 freeway and DL's MICKEY & FRIENDS exit when you use Ball Rd. or Lincoln Ave. -- I know. I timed it twice.)

From the 60 (Pomona) freeway, I have taken Fullerton Rd south, which turns into Harbor Bl. when it reaches the city of La Habra.
(You know that Harbor Bl. is the old car-entrance-side of DL, and DL's mailing address uses Harbor Bl.)

When the 57 (Orange Fwy) south was crowded, I got off the 57 and took Diamond Bar Bl. south to Brea Bl., and Brea Bl. eventually merges into Harbor Blvd.

The good news:
The surface streets were never crowded.
The drive was easy.
There was no "stop-and-go."
I could stop to eat (breakfast or lunch or dinner) at any of the ordinary fast food places.
(The Weinerschnitzel on Ball Rd. seems to get my business most of the time.)
(The Katella Deli on Katella got my business one day. I've got to back!)

ferliemom
10-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Well, your "134 to the 210, cutting down the 57 to the 91" sounds good to me. I'm coming from Victorville (nearly 80 miles) and I take the 210 to the 57 to the 91 and it only takes me an hour and a half tops.

Hi SoCalSteven,

Thanks!
Is that in the afternoons with traffic?

SCUBAbe
10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
when i use to drive down on weekdays I would leave my house around 10am to avoid morning rush and i would leave the park until about 10pm to avoid night rush....you still hit traffic though. I take the 5 all teh way down.

When I go on weekends I try and leave the house by 7am...I hit NO traffic, but coming home is always hit and miss...last sunday we left around 7:30pm and there was no traffic...:)

Pirate Princess
10-18-2005, 07:28 PM
OOOOooooOOO!!!
I have been waiting to post a question like this.. now is as good of a time as any!
As part of my DS's XMas gift I am kidnapping him (basically throwing him in the car with the bags hidden in the trunk and telling him we are going for a ride) and taking him on Monday, Dec. 12 to the L.A. Natural History museum (he's a dino freak). My question is: We are also making a surprise two day trip to DL from there. Any suggestions as to what time we should leave the museum? Also, what freeways should we take to get from the museum to DL?
Thank you for your help!!!
H

VickiC
10-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Why get on the 91 at all? Take the 57 to Ball and Ball straight to the parking garage.

Leash81
10-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Ok I am going to jump in on this thread because I also have a traffic question. We will be driving in early friday morning the 28th leave here at 5:30so getting to city traffic around 8:30, so I am assuiming we will hit rush hour. My two questions are when is rush hour, I will be coming from Vegas and I believe we take the 15 to the 91 to the 57. Second to avoid that traffic should we leave earlier, like around 4, or later around 6:30? Thanks for any advice.

capst
10-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Always check these before you leave:

Caltrans Highway Info:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/

CHP Dispatch at:

http://cad.chp.ca.gov/

Freeway speeds at:

http://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?Regi...er+Los+Angeles

ferliemom
10-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Why get on the 91 at all? Take the 57 to Ball and Ball straight to the parking garage.

Hi VickiC,
Thanks for the tip.
I've never come in this way.
Where is the Ball Rd. exit-- near which freeway intersection, for my reference?
Once you exit Ball, how far of a drive is it?
Thanks!
:)

ferliemom
10-19-2005, 06:03 AM
when is rush hourHi Leash,
I think the problem is that it is *always* rush hour!! :p
Okay, obviously some times are worse than others, but traffic always seems like a nightmare to me.
I once went to Dland from Ventura-- about 80 miles. We left at 7:30 a.m. and didn't arrive at the garage until 10:15.
Probably after 10 the traffic lets up.

Good luck-- have fun!
If traffic is bad, grit your teeth-- you'll get there soon!:p

SoCalSteven
10-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi SoCalSteven,

Thanks!
Is that in the afternoons with traffic?
That is anytime. I use the carpool lanes and I get through even in bad traffic. I wouldn't suggest the 91 during rush hour though. Stay on the 57 south and get off on Ball Rd.

SoCalSteven
10-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Ok I am going to jump in on this thread because I also have a traffic question. We will be driving in early friday morning the 28th leave here at 5:30so getting to city traffic around 8:30, so I am assuiming we will hit rush hour. My two questions are when is rush hour, I will be coming from Vegas and I believe we take the 15 to the 91 to the 57. Second to avoid that traffic should we leave earlier, like around 4, or later around 6:30? Thanks for any advice.
I'd go for earlier. You'd have to leave WAY too early to avoid all traffic, but the earlier the better.

Leash81
10-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi Leash,
I think the problem is that it is *always* rush hour!! :p
Okay, obviously some times are worse than others, but traffic always seems like a nightmare to me.
I once went to Dland from Ventura-- about 80 miles. We left at 7:30 a.m. and didn't arrive at the garage until 10:15.
Probably after 10 the traffic lets up.

Good luck-- have fun!
If traffic is bad, grit your teeth-- you'll get there soon!:pYeah I had a feeling it was something like that. Usually we just go on the weekends so the traffic doesn't seem too bad but I knew the weekdays would be different. I gues I will just leae early and take my chances. THanks for the advice.

sand20go
10-19-2005, 01:22 PM

EEECCHHHH....that puts u on the 91 on a Friday AM coming in from the Inland Empire. I gather from your post that your goal is to have a day at the Park on Friday. I gotta say that anyway you slice it you are in for some epic traffic. It is one of the nation's worst freeway segments (essentially only one transportation link for "mid" inland empire to the job centers of Orange County). Bring patience, karma, and a good audio book.

Pirate Princess
10-19-2005, 01:44 PM
These are the directions Mapquest has given me to get from the Natural History Museum to DL. Is this the way you would choose to go? Also, when is the best time to leave the museum (on a Monday) to go in this direction so I don't end up in traffic.
Thank you for all your help!!!

1: Start out going EAST on EXPOSITION BLVD toward KINSEY DR. 0.3 miles
2: EXPOSITION BLVD becomes W 37TH ST. 0.1 miles
3: Turn LEFT onto S HOPE ST. 0.1 miles
4: Merge onto I-110 N. 0.9 miles
5: Merge onto I-10 E toward SAN BERNARDINO. 3.3 miles
6: Take CA-60 E toward I-5 S / SANTA ANA / POMONA. 0.5 miles
7: Merge onto I-5 S toward SANTA ANA. 23.3 miles
8: Take the HARBOR BLVD exit. 0.3 miles
9: Take the HARBOR BLVD S ramp. <0.1 miles
10: Merge onto S HARBOR BLVD. 0.1 miles
11: Make a U-TURN at S MANCHESTER AVE onto S HARBOR BLVD. 0.1 miles
12: End at 1313 S Harbor Blvd

Darkbeer
10-19-2005, 01:45 PM

Lisa and I have taken the 15 to the 210 (a few miles after the 15/215 split, basically when you start getting into town) to the 57 to Ball or Katella.

The 210 has carpool lanes, and usually doesn't have bad traffic, even in rush hour.

When you get on the 57, the first part will not have carpool lanes, and there is a small stretch where it shares the lanes with the 60, where they are doing construction, but after that, the Carpool lanes return for the rest of the trip.

I prefer this route to the 91, which can just be "evil" much of the day.

Leash81
10-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Lisa and I have taken the 15 to the 210 (a few miles after the 15/215 split, basically when you start getting into town) to the 57 to Ball or Katella.

The 210 has carpool lanes, and usually doesn't have bad traffic, even in rush hour.

When you get on the 57, the first part will not have carpool lanes, and there is a small stretch where it shares the lanes with the 60, where they are doing construction, but after that, the Carpool lanes return for the rest of the trip.

I prefer this route to the 91, which can just be "evil" much of the day.

Ok this sounds good, I'll give it a try. So I should look for the 210 going to which city? My boyfriend is responsible for keeping an eye on signs while I pay attention to the traffic and he does better with city names than freeway numbers. Also I just found out I can take monday off as well so we will probably leave a little later on friday since we will have an extra day at the park, what time should we leave Vegas to best avoid morning traffic? Thank you all for the advice! :D

meagee
10-21-2005, 07:03 AM
I have been reading the various threads relating to the least crowded ways to get to DL. I am coming from NorCal this evening. The best way I have read so far is to get off 5 onto 210 (I assume east) and then take 57 (south) to Ball Road. Someone said the 405 freeway was always crowded and I know 5 is. Anybody have any other suggestions?

stan4d_steph
10-21-2005, 07:29 AM
What time do you plan to be getting to the LA area? That could affect the route through SoCal.

meagee
10-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Well, my husband and I are currently having different viewpoints of when we should leave. With my plan we would hit the LA area around 7:30 tonite; with his plan we would be there around 2 am. We'll see who wins.

VickiC
10-21-2005, 07:42 AM
From the Natural History museum, that is NOT the way I would go. Get on the 110 South, get in the carpool lane. Take that to the 105 East. Stay in the carpool the whole way, there is a flyover. Take the 105 E to the 605S to the 91E to the 5S and thus to Disneyland.

Rteneyck
10-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Ok, now I too have to ask driving questions as well. We come from Phoenix and we always use the mapquest directions, but if there is anything better I would love to find out. The directions that give us are:

Take the I-10 towards Los Angeles
Merge onto 60 W via the exit on the left toward Riverside
Take the 91 S exit toward Riverside / Beach Cities
Take the 60 exit towards Los Angeles
Merge on to I-215 S
Merge on to 57 S

Pirate Princess
10-21-2005, 08:59 AM
From the Natural History museum, that is NOT the way I would go. Get on the 110 South, get in the carpool lane. Take that to the 105 East. Stay in the carpool the whole way, there is a flyover. Take the 105 E to the 605S to the 91E to the 5S and thus to Disneyland.

Thank you VickiC!!! Also, what time would you leave the museum to go to DL in the afternoon/evening so to miss traffic?

PS- What is a "flyover"? (I live in the town of 2 way highways.)

stan4d_steph
10-21-2005, 09:27 AM
PS- What is a "flyover"? (I live in the town of 2 way highways.)Elevated section of highway. There wasn't room to expand outward to put in carpool lanes, so they went up and built them above.