PDA

View Full Version : rain and ponchos

BalooNumberTwo
10-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Okay i have been hearing about the rain you all have been getting down there....being from seattle it doesn't bother us to much...BUT...i don't want to be miserable.(sp) So my question is this...the weather is calling for warm weather from the middle of the week on...should i depend on this? or should i run to the dollar store and buy some poncho's of our own....i mean the mickey ones are cute...but don't really wanna spend 7 to 8 dollars on ones when i can buy 9 for 9 dollars.

lbrackjo
10-18-2005, 07:58 AM
yes buy in advance or just bring your Seattle raincoats, rain pants and boots. That's what we did last Jan.

BalooNumberTwo
10-18-2005, 08:06 AM
wow....okay i think i will get the poncho's ....but i don't think i need the full dress seattle Clothes. lol is DL Bumbershoot friendly?

stan4d_steph
10-18-2005, 08:22 AM
You should be fine with just rain jackets or ponchos. You'll be going in and out of doors, so full rain gear will just get hot.

kohl
10-18-2005, 08:28 AM
We have been there when it was poring rain and the ponchos just don't cut it. I think we were the only family in the park with full rain gear and loving being there. Everyone left, but we were dry!

meagee
10-18-2005, 09:38 AM
My family was there late last year during the huge storms. People were still at DL! The umbrellas, though, were (to me at least) a pain. We did not have any. I am short and when I carry one, I am always worried about hitting someone in the eye. And if I am worried about me hitting someone in the eye, you can be sure that my kids are not going to get the chance. HOWEVER, other people were not so careful and you had to be constantly aware of who was around you and what sort of rain gear they had with them. AND people with umbrellas had no problem with where the stream of water coming off their umbrellas went! Standing quietly in line and the next thing you know you are in a stream of water from the umbrella behind or in front of you! Grrrrrrrr.

Stupid_American
10-18-2005, 12:01 PM
The weather is supposed to clear and be quite pleasant from Weds on.

disneyhound
10-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Every year we have brought ponchos from home. Our dollar store sells them in a twin pack for a buck! In the last five years we have used them only one time, last year. We alway visit in Jan-Feb period!

CrazyTrain
10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Those Mickey ponchos have a nasty plastic smell. Blech.

BWthespian
10-18-2005, 06:01 PM
haha no offense guys but those ponchos are lame.......and bright..and expensive.

SCUBAbe
10-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I hate the ponchos, mickey or otherwise, I don't see the point...yeah your clothes may be dry, but everyride you go on you soak down as well as all the restuarants and stores. I just use an unbrella. It shakes off outside and doesn't soak everything down. I've had one umbrella for almost 5 years. Last weekend I bought a second one becaysue I left it in the car. It looked sunny and warm when i left the hotel...LOL

Pirate Princess
10-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Why a poncho when you could just wear a rain coat/snowboarding jacket/etc?
Typically they don't pool up water, are easy on the eyes, smell pleasant, and are more cozy than a poncho inspired by a trashbag. The nifty thing: Most have a hood which is waterproof too!!! No unpleasant umbrella mishaps too! I got my all black Columbia jacket on sale for $20.00 and I can use it out of the park without someone thinking I am roadside assistance in my day-glo gear. If you are worried about your bottom.. try warm up/track pants. I have a black pair with white stripes that are waterproof on the outside and sweatshirt material on the inside.. cost: $14.99. Guess what.. you can wear them again in the real world too! (Tip: also come in kids sizes! So your kids don't hate you when they are 15 and look at themselves in neon trashbags! Or you could use those pictures as blackmail to show their first date... hmmmm...)

Rhiannon8404
10-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Why a poncho when you could just wear a rain coat/snowboarding jacket/etc?

I wondered about this, too. I can understand guests who get caught off guard buying ponchos at the park, but if you're going when you know it might rain, why would you buy ponchos anywhere when you can use a jacket you likely already have?

disneyhound
10-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Why a poncho when you could just wear a rain coat/snowboarding jacket/etc?...It's all about individual choice, although when the DL blue ponchos come out, there seems to be a serious lack of individuality... ;) I like the dollar store ponchos! Fits easily in your pocket. We live in rain country, typically 100" per year! When we travel down south, the Anaheim temperatures average 20 degrees warmer than we are acclimated too. A sweatshirt is at times too much, a snow jacket? :p

prudence
10-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm also from the Seattle area and when we've been at Disneyland in the rain we've just elected to get wet. There's so much entering/exiting buildings and such that umbrellas are awkward. (4 years in Bellingham cured me of my umbrella habit.) Also, as someone else mentioned, socal rain is usually warmer than pacnw rain, so the heavy-duty duds are a little much. What ever the sky may dump on me can't be as bad as the first time I went on Splash Mountain.

potzbie
10-19-2005, 10:23 AM
When I was shopping for an INDIANA JONES style hat, I made double sure that it was water-repellent.

If I was going to spend over $20 on something worn once a year, I made sure that it was no namby-pamby sissy hat that couldn't take it.

Like the way Indiana Jones could take it.
:)

Clotho
10-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Fellow Seattlelite here. I usually go in the off season, in December/January, and I have never needed any rain gear. Yeah, it rains, so what. You can find shelter if it gets really nasty, and most rides are indoors anyway. You can't avoid getting wet, even with a poncho, because everything gets wet thanks to folks with wet ponchos walking around everywhere and dripping even in teh dryest of sheltered areas. ;)

And it will feel warm to wear a full jacket, and heavy, for most Seattlites. We brought hoodies/sweatjackets that we could tie around our waist when not in use, and it worked great for us.

Disney4Me
10-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Fellow Seattlelite here. I usually go in the off season, in December/January, and I have never needed any rain gear. Yeah, it rains, so what. You can find shelter if it gets really nasty, and most rides are indoors anyway. You can't avoid getting wet, even with a poncho, because everything gets wet thanks to folks with wet ponchos walking around everywhere and dripping even in teh dryest of sheltered areas. ;)

And it will feel warm to wear a full jacket, and heavy, for most Seattlites. We brought hoodies/sweatjackets that we could tie around our waist when not in use, and it worked great for us.

We were just down and had high 90's weather and then pouring rain. We too live in a rain area. We did not bother taking jackets except light sweatjackets. We opted to get the ponchos for 8 dollars on the second day and they were quite durable. My son had a blast wearing it and opted to go on all all the wet rides in the rain. We gave one of them to another family as we were leaving the hotel and my son bought the other one home to play in. We has short sleave shirts on under it and did not find it too hot. The ones in the dollar store here were not as heavy or durable.