PDA

View Full Version : Do you have the luxury of just "dropping by"?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dlandnut
10-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I sometimes get so jealous when I read about you APers and those that live so close to Disneyland. Do you really have the luxury of just "stopping by" and going to a few attractions? I mean, realistically, by the time you fight So Cal traffic, park, and ride the shuttle to the main gate, how much of your time is already eaten up? And what do you do when you've done all of that, and only have an hour or so to spare? :)

rentayenta
10-17-2005, 11:34 AM
I live in Utah but last week wwithers and I did have a few hours to spare, and did drop by.

We got to the park about 4:30 pm. We rode Space and Star Tours (her virgin ST voyage), strolled down Main St. and then ate dinner at Storyteller's. We did valet at the GCH which might have saved us a few minutes.

When I lived locally, I never just dropped by. I have always been a Marathon-type DL fan.

DISNEYfied
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Well I just got my AP back in July and since then I've been there 14 times. Only 4 of those times have been full 8AM-1AM days... the rest have been 1/2 days. We live about 30 mins away... With traffic, 1-1.5 hrs. My most recent "just dropping by" visit was this past Friday... my brother needed a ride to Scary Farm with his friends so one of my AP friends came along and after we dropped off my brother around 7, we headed to Disneyland. After parking and everything we got in there around 7:30 and had dinner at Pizza Port. I think part of being an AP holder you get a little, spoiled. My friend and I didn't want to wait in line for anything.. so we just rode Haunted Mansion Holiday twice and saw Remember and Fantasmic. We had a little shopping time and I was able to get a Zero and Vampire Teddy! Thats about all we got done in the 4 hours we were there... But then again.. this past Fri seemed to be EXTRA crowded. You get a lot more done on those mid-week 1/2 day visits.

motomickey
10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Mr Motomickey and I live about 15 minutes away, just down ball rd in Anaheim HIlls, so we go at least once or twice a week, for dinner, or an ice cream or just a "disney people watching fix". It is our stress buster...............and yes, we are VERY LUCKY and wish all of you could experience this way of visiting the Park!:cool:

DISNEYfied
10-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Mr Motomickey and I live about 15 minutes away, just down ball rd in Anaheim HIlls, so we go at least once or twice a week, for dinner, or an ice cream or just a "disney people watching fix". It is our stress buster...............and yes, we are VERY LUCKY and wish all of you could experience this way of visiting the Park!:cool:

My AP friends and I are the same! Ice cream is just better from BURRR-Bank or Gibson Girl.

10-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Mr Motomickey and I live about 15 minutes away, just down ball rd in Anaheim HIlls, so we go at least once or twice a week, for dinner, or an ice cream or just a "disney people watching fix". It is our stress buster...............and yes, we are VERY LUCKY and wish all of you could experience this way of visiting the Park!

Now this is living large! Sounds just perfect, motomickey.

Opus1guy
10-17-2005, 11:40 AM
I guess I have that luxury if I want to drive about an hour to Disneyland. Which I often do. But that's what I call a normally planned visit to Disneyland.

Most often though, I "drop by" Disneyland when I just happen to be driving by Disneyland. That kind of more impromptu visit would be what I would consider a "drop by" visit. Those I usually stay 2 to 3 hours.

And just as a p.s for the record....I'm not an Annual Passholder, but I do have lots of comp tickets I've been given over the years that I still use. And sometimes I enter on Club 33 comp tickets if I'm dining at the Club.

SportyTink
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
It's so funny that you ask this...

I live in San Diego and my boyfriend lives in Simi Valley so Orange County and DTD tends to be a meeting place for us when we want to see each other mid week. We also coach a girls softball team together and play in Orange County all the time on the weekends. We are both Disney freaks and averaged going 1 time every other month for the past year we have been together.

With us being in that area so often we talked all the time about getting APs so that we could just pop in after games for a couple of hours. So for my Birthday in September my wonderful boyfriend bought us APs and it has been AWESOME!!!!!!

Just yesterday we had three games about 15 minutes away from the park. With the weather being as it was our thrid game of the day got rained out and we figured it would be empty so we went over for about three hours. We had dinner, jumped on a couple of rides, shopped around a bit and were both able to get home at around 9:00 so that getting up for Monday morning work wouldn't be an issue.

We have been able to do this a couple of times now so the running joke between the two of us is "Hey, you wanna stop and get a corn dog on the way home?";)

Skunker
10-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Ya, we "dropped in" a couple of week ago. Yes siree bob, just jumped in the car, drove 1030 miles and there we were! LOL

Seriously, I nearly hate all you people who live close enough to go there for stress relief. (just kidding, without you, we wouldn't get our weekly updates and fixes)
:)

Gone2Disneyland
10-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I was at Disneyland from 2:30p to 4:30p yesterday. It had been two weeks since my last visit and I just missed being there. I didn't go on any rides, just walked around and window shopped. Ended up buying a Holiday Tink ornament that I'd bought and dropped last year and now have a replacement for it. I hoped to watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, but there must've been a private party at that time because CM gated the doorway off to the public. My last ten minutes at the park was spent sitting on a bench in the Hub, facing Plaza Inn and people watching while I finished my churro.

Yes, I am very lucky to live a short thirty minutes (that's leaving my home, driving, parking, and then getting in line at the park entrance) away. Sometimes, I worry that some of the novelty and magic may have left me being such a constant visitor. But for the most part, it hasn't, and in any case, I do realize I have an advantage to enjoying Disneyland that many of you don't and I try not to take that for granted.

SteveK
10-17-2005, 11:52 AM
I have the luxury of working a mile north of the park on Harbor Blvd. so dropping by is a fairly regular occurance for me. Usually only for an hour or so during lunch though. We only live about 25 miles away so can make frequent trips in the evening as well...something we do more around the holidays than any other time.
-Steve

The Lovely Mrs. tod
10-17-2005, 11:54 AM
tod and I used to 'drop by' all the time before the Little tods came along, on a hot summer night we'd take off after work, have that chopped chicken salad we both liked so much at Carnation Cafe for dinner, watch the Main Street Electrical Parade, grab an ice cream cone and go home...

After the kids came along it became more of an ordeal, what with all the paraphanelia that accompanies kids but now that they're older we're getting back in the 'dropping by' habit. I have to admit, a lot of times I don't even go on an attraction...early Sunday morning, a freshly scrubbed Main Street, a cup of coffee, a park bench and the band and I'm one happy camper.

-TLMt

Crazy4DL
10-17-2005, 11:59 AM
early Sunday morning, a freshly scrubbed Main Street, a cup of coffee, a park bench and the band and I'm one happy camper.

-TLMt

Sounds like heaven to me. :)

10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
early Sunday morning, a freshly scrubbed Main Street, a cup of coffee, a park bench and the band and I'm one happy camper.

How absolutely heavenly. Today is a crummy day for me but your words have taken me to a happier place.

Whittibo
10-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Oh this was brought up on another thread. I could just cry right now. I would be one of those that would go a few times a week, just to go! I would have the perfect family to do that too, as we don't do many other things, so it would be nice to just go for a few hours.

If only I were rich and didn't mind the traffic and the noise and the well lit evening sky and SO MANY PEOPLE! (see.. I have to remind myself there ARE downsides to living so close).

Crazy4DL
10-17-2005, 12:09 PM
How absolutely heavenly. Today is a crummy day for me but your words have taken me to a happier place.

:) Us women over 40 know heavenly when we "see" it.

rentayenta
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
:) Us women over 40 know heavenly when we "see" it.

Is 36 1/2 close enough?

VickiC
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
As far as taking the shuttle, etc. goes, mos tof th etime if we were going for a visit of 3 hours or less we park in the free dTD parking, and hop on the monorail. Much quicker than going to Mickey and Friends.

Crazy4DL
10-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Is 36 1/2 close enough?

Sure the heck is, baby girl :D ;)

newportbeachbumz
10-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I drop by there all the time. It takes me 12 minutes in the car pool lane from Newport - I would say an additional 25 minutes to park and walk to DL. I like to walk instead of taking the tram. If I go in the morning I have to leave in time to pick up my daughter from school. I get to spend a good 2-3 hours there. Love it! Anybody else go in the mornings?

dsnyredhead
10-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I used to work in Orange, CA 1998-2000. I used to drop by alot after work. I missed it at first, but I still get to DL at least twice a month since I am still in the LA area.

mckygirl99
10-17-2005, 01:26 PM
I am a teacher in Anaheim and I live about 15 minutes away in Cypress, right off of Ball! I chose to live my life this way so I could be close to DLR. When I first took the job, everyone asked what city and when I told them they would say, "You're such a Disney freak!" (so proud of it too!)

I do love "dropping by" just to watch a parade, fireworks, to eat a favorite treat or to go on one or two rides. My daughter and I go once a week after I pick her up from school and that's our special time together. I especially love when I am off-track. I will go about 2 to 3 times per week! :D

Vegitabeta
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
I wish I could drop by!

dlandnut
10-17-2005, 02:00 PM
My goal: when I retire, I'm spending a summer renting something near the beach (like Newport) so that I can visit as often as I wish. I will also go to the Crab Cooker every chance I get, and by the time I get home after my summer in So Cal, I will weigh 350 pounds!!! :)

TDBearGrrl
10-17-2005, 02:47 PM
It takes us an hour to an hour and a half to get to the resort, but we have been known to hop in the car after work and head to the park for quick ride on Soarin' and an ice cream. Or a corn dog and some people watching... I work for myself so I have also been know to 'pop over' there for recovery after a particularly trying client meeting. I am thinking of going tomorrow just to get a chance to win the car!