PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Villian Shop

Pages : [1] 2

cemeinke
03-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Not Afraid and I were at the park tonight and took a detour through Tinkerbell's Toy shop only to find the place devoid of toys, but rather filled with Princess paraphenalia (costumes, dolls, and snow globes) and a few books.

Shocked we went into the "Princess Shop" in the castle and found that it had been transformed into a child & infant clothing shop. I expressed my bewilderment at the elimination of toys at Tinkerbell's and the CM sympathized and said that maybe they would find themselves in the new Knight shop that will be replacing the Villians Shop.

Shocked even more we crossed the castle courtyard, preered into the window of the Villian's shop to see 2 CMs stocking the shelves with Laser guns and light sabers. I felt profoundly sad.

I guess I'll reserve judgement till the new shop opens, but it just gave me a bad feeling.

Hyperboy
03-08-2002, 12:07 AM
The villains shop (was?) my favorite in the park. Where else can you go learn how to turn water into gasoline? :mad:

justagrrl
03-08-2002, 07:06 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tell me it's not soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I've been waiting to go in there - waiting for it to be open sometime - at every visit we go to Dland. It has NEVER been open.

What are they gonna do with all the cool stuff in there?

MammaSilva
03-08-2002, 07:53 AM
major sadness :(

cemeinke
03-08-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
What are they gonna do with all the cool stuff in there?

Not Afraid overheard a CM say that the stuff would probably go to New Orleans Square. I presume it will end up at the Pieces of Eight shop right outside the Pirate's exit. Still I don't see how the Evil Queen, Ursula, or Kaa fit in there - Then again, maybe it becomes a Fantasmic tie in?

Ghoulish Delight
03-08-2002, 09:27 AM
And where's the AA caged witch going to go? I'll give it a happy home if they don't want it ;)

Sadly, I saw this coming. The hours they kept the shop open were continually shrinking every day over the past few years, so this was the depressing logical conclusion.

Joy, another store selling plastic laser guns and light chasers. Like there aren't enough. It is really sad that they're removing such a unique, well themed merchandising vehicle.

marron-cream
03-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Don't mourn the loss of the Villain's Shop right now... if you want to put your energy into saving charming shops, try and save Geppetto's. That's the place to be worried about, especially since it'd be very easy to keep it closed after all the rehab is finished. Even if dolls aren't your thing, it's still a special little place.

The reasons the shops were re-done are simple... there is no place in Fantasyland that sells clothes. Normal clothes. Guests get irate when they hear they have to go either to Main Street or Toontown to get a sweatshirt, especially at 8PM on a cold night. Little boys wanted things aimed at them, not just frilly princess stuff.
I think it's too bad they removed the Princess Shop, because little girls loved the idea. And (please don't flame me for this) while the Villain's Lair might have been popular with APs and some other guests, more often than not, when it was open, it was empty. It didn't have the revenue coming in.

I imagine the Villains t-shirts will still be available in the boys' shop. Give them a chance to get everything straightened out. :)

cemeinke
03-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by marron-cream
The reasons the shops were re-done are simple... there is no place in Fantasyland that sells clothes. Normal clothes.

By the looks of things last night, that still will be the case for adults. I didn't see any adult clothing items in any of the shops, but it looks as if the place was still in transition, so I'll check it out again this weekend.

mad4mky
03-08-2002, 12:44 PM
I too will miss the Villian shop. Our whole family LOVES that shop...and always paid a visit. For us though, it was sad...they never got any new merchandise from our one trip to the next. Same old shirts...same old trinkets. I was always hoping that when I went in, something new would be there....alas, no.

I too almost always found it empty...Either way...I WILL miss it.

If they could do a Villians shop such as the one at WDW...at MGM Studios, they maybe could bring in some revenue.

I also agree that they need to keep open Gepetto's. Such a special little shop. We always try to buy something in there...even if its just a little trinket...because the shop is just a special little place.

innerSpaceman
03-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Very sad about the Villains shop. In its day, it was the best themed merchandise shop in the Park. But it has long since passed its prime and, as has been observed in this thread, same old merchandise for many, many years.

Still, it's too bad this fine little shop has to be shuttered. Fantasyland will be the worse for it.

Morrigoon
03-08-2002, 01:17 PM
The problem with the villains shop is the merch wasn't really all that unique. Same old t-shirts and pens and junk. The more unique merchandise was few and far between. The dolls are pretty cool, but the t-shirts are SO run of the mill. You have a choice of either something with EVERYONE on it, or the occasional individual character but usually with something stupid like that definition line they've got. Better merchandise would mean better sales. I loved the villains shop, yet when I'd go in, there was nothing new and I rarely saw anything I wanted to buy.

In concept, the villains shop is a terrific idea... they just need to find a new location and improve the merchandise offerings.

disneynut
03-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
In concept, the villains shop is a terrific idea... they just need to find a new location and improve the merchandise offerings.

Gotta agree. I'm sad to see it go though. It seemed like it was always closed when we went by and we usually did make the effort to see if it was opened.

Ghoulish Delight
03-08-2002, 02:05 PM
I really want to know what they are planning for the witch. I love that thing. Nothing better than the look on a kid's face when they go to pull on the door and she actually comes to life! Truly a Disney moment.

marron-cream
03-08-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke

By the looks of things last night, that still will be the case for adults. I didn't see any adult clothing items in any of the shops, but it looks as if the place was still in transition, so I'll check it out again this weekend.

Ah, well, I forgot to clarify :D Following the new Disney tradition of catering only to small children, the 'regular' clothes are only for kids. Adults still get to make the far off trek to Main Street, ToonTown, Frontierland and Tomorrowland. But that's okay, the cold air will put hair on your chests.

Oh, and by the way, the candy cart is slated to become a miniature Stromboli's, focusing heavily on souvies. So maybe you won't be seeing all those irritating light chasers in the shops after all! :)

Traci
03-08-2002, 02:38 PM
I hate to see that shop go too, cause everytime I am at the park I always drag my friends or my husband in there just to see if there is anything new. Of course there never is. :(

I do have to say that I can understand why it's closing, cause I don't think I have purchased anything out of that shop in probably about two or three years.

And of course World of Disney will probably cause alot of the "little" shops in DL to shut down.

Techie7
03-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
If they could do a Villians shop such as the one at WDW...at MGM Studios, they maybe could bring in some revenue.

I was thinking the same thing. WDW still had a lot of shops that had specific merch that was not available at the other shops. I enjoyed being able to see new things in each shop. Wish DLR would go back to this instead of standardizing all of the shops to sell the same stuff. Disney has so many great characters besides the fab 5, mickey (Which their is surprisingly little of), and dare I say Pooh (Build him a park if you have to bt keep him from taking over the existing one). I had a friend who thought that pooh was slowly conducting a takeover of the resort and shops. I want to see more of the older characters that rarely get mentioned anymore. I can only hope that a new villians shop might open in the Hollywood Backlot with new and exciting merch.

justagrrl
03-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Traci
And of course World of Disney will probably cause alot of the "little" shops in DL to shut down.

Which is too bad - why go to any of the stores when you can just find the same thing in all of them - including the mall.

tink360
03-08-2002, 10:43 PM
It is a shame about the villains shop. My son wanted to check out the merchandise & it was closed. We didn't know it was closed for good.
As for Tinkerbell toy shop, I too couldn't find anything tinkerbell themed in it. It was all princess items. In the past I've at least been able to pick up some tinkerbell christmas ornaments.

mikala
03-09-2002, 02:58 AM
That is awful. I love that shop too. Hey, my husband bought me my favorite Chesire Cat hat there, kind of like a burea, pink/purple.....I love that thing....so sad.

Mikala

PS..I activate my first annual pass in 5 days...hooray.

MonorailMan
03-09-2002, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by mikala
PS..I activate my first annual pass in 5 days...hooray.

Congrats on new ap! ;)

MouseWife
03-11-2002, 03:47 PM
MonorailMan-

I am dying, waiting for you to get your AP!!! How you must feel!!

I had forgotten about the Geppetto Toy Shoppe. I always wanted to go in there but it was never open. I love dolls and I think that it is so perfectly themed for that area.

Unless of course they change the restaurant and the Pinocchio ride right next door. I mean, sandwiched in between it was great. Or was their demise due to the 'meet and greet' the princesses?

Anyone?

Ace
03-11-2002, 07:08 PM
ehh... I didn't like the villian shop. the only good shops are:

the one opposite indy
The Star Trader
The Disney Gallery

mousey_girl
03-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
ehh... I didn't like the villian shop. the only good shops are:

the one opposite indy
The Star Trader
The Disney Gallery

The last time I was there, the only thing Star Trader seemed to have was the same merchandise as every other store and then one huge section devoted to over priced Star Wars toys... It was hard to get The Boy out of there without buying anything (I admit, I failed, he got stuff).

The store across from Indy did have some cute stuff, like the zebra striped mouse ears ink pens, and the stuffed safari characters... but even they seem to be pulling away from the merchandise that made them unique.

I do LOVE the gallery... and I want EVERYTHING!!! That is where I signed up for my first year of membership in the WDCC!!!
wait a sec... that store has cost me a lot of $$ over the years, it was the beginning of a very expensive hobby... I may have to rethink my love...

BELLEH5
03-11-2002, 08:30 PM
I love the shop next to Indy!!! Actully I love all the shops in DL, Thats were I spend most of my $$$ and time:)

Mouseygirl--- I have that mickey mouse zebra pen!!! he he he

mikala
03-12-2002, 10:43 AM
OK gang,

I have 2 days and I am a AP member....HOORAY!!!. MY husband is equally excited because while he loves Disneyland/CA Adventure, he knows with multiple trips to the parks comes lots of sporting events (Dodger games, Lakers etc.) and of course lots of trips to ESPN Zone....Thanks for all your info on here. Soon enough I will be ranting and raving about being a Club 33 Member..........Caio, Mikala