Trip Reports
10-16-2005, 06:04 PM
* Time of Year: Spring
* Travel Method: Plane, Rental Car
* Resort: Offsite
* Accommodations
* Ages Represented in Group: Adult
* Disneyland Experience Represented in Group: Infrequent, Rookie
* Comments: In 1993, Barb and I were able to spend some time at Disneyland after a business trip to Southern California. This brief report covers most of the details. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Buena Park on this trip.

Well, we were on the west coast on business, so we stretched the trip to include a couple of days at Disneyland, too. The main item on the agenda was to eat at the Blue Bayou, the restaurant that you ride past on the Pirates of the Caribbean. I always wanted to eat there on our family trips in the 70's and 80's, but Dad always saw the prices and said no. Well, Dad, I was paying this time, so Barb and I went. It was a fantastic meal -- all the more so because of the incredible atmosphere.

It was on this trip that we first saw the spectacular show, Fantasmic. It's indescribable, but I'll try. Picture this: Mickey the Mouster dreaming about stirring music, great fireworks and special effects, Disney animation projected onto 70mm water screens located in the Rivers of America, Snow White, Ariel, and Belle holding court on the Tom Sawyer Island rafts, a sword fight in the rigging of Hook's pirate ship (Columbia in temporary drag) Peter Pan to the rescue of Wendy and the boys! Then the Disney bad gals (Ursula and her cohorts) conjure up an evil dragon and other meanies. The whole extravaganza ends with the Mark Twain acting as ferry boat for Steamboat Willie and a crew of tens of Disney Characters. It is the fastest-paced 25 minutes (including the post production music) that Disney has ever put together. Barb and I have waited for over four hours for this show several times...and it's worth it (but bring a book or a pack of cards along).
Major discoveries:

* Fantasmic! is simply the best Disney show ever put together. If you're ever west of the Mississippi river, make sure you stop at Anaheim to catch it!
* Carnation Plaza Gardens has an delicious coffee-flavored milkshake that you can't buy at WDW. Otherwise the food is very similar to that found at the Plaza in Florida. Excellent.
* Chicken Dinner at Knott's Berry Farm. I know, this isn't Disney, but it's still a traditional place to go. Mr. Knott gave Walt alot of solicited, good advice, after all. Anyway, you can't beat the chicken soup at Knott's nowhere, notime. Barb and I go to Knott's every time we're in California. It's a must.
* Granville's Steakhouse at the Disneyland Hotel is a nice place to visit, but we don't have to go there every year. We'll visit again, though, when we have the urge for good steaks at a Disney restaurant in California.

Brian Bennett