10-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Brian Bennett -- "The Early Years" -- Disneyland

* Time of Year: Summer
* Travel Method: Personal Car, Plane, Rental Car
* Resort: Offsite
* Accommodations
* Ages Represented in Group: Misc.
* Disneyland Experience Represented in Group: Infrequent
* Comments: This short report covers general impressions and thoughts about my first few trips to Disneyland.

1967, 1974 -- Disneyland, With My Family

My name is Brian Bennett. My wife, Barbara, and I consider ourselves "Disney Veterans." I first went to Disneyland in 1967, during a trip to see my Aunt - who lived in West Covina at the time, as a toddler. We went to California again in 1974 and spent the traditional day in the Happiest Place on Earth. It was during that trip that I saw, for the first time, the Main Street Electrical Parade. Another thing, I still remember the fireflies in the Pirates of the Caribbean and floating past that restaurant before going past the guy with the banjo and the first waterfall.

November 1985 -- Disneyland, with Mom and Dad and Dave

In 1985, our family (that is, my Dad, Mom, brother, and I -- my sister was already married and out of the house), made another trip out west together. In fact, we went to visit my sister -- who now lives in Washington State. It was supposed to be my "graduation trip", though, so I made it a requirement that we go to Disneyland as part of the trip...even though Dad and Mom had had no intention of going to California at all. I talked them into it, though, and we all had a great time as always.

August 1987 -- Disneyland, with Mom and Dad and Dave

It was in 1987 that we traveled to Disneyland for the last time as a family. It was in August, I remember, and the crowds were unbelievable. The most memorable part of the trip was buying a couple of T-shirts in the Emporium. I wanted one for myself, and one for this girl I was planning to go out with. Actually it was going to be our first date on August 28th (after we got back from California). I was really undecided about buying one for her, but Dad really encouraged me to "go for it". I'm glad I did. I gave that shirt to her on that first date, and the girl (later my adorable wife) has kept it for all these years, even though it doesn't fit anymore. My shirt was a traditional white Mickey tee. Barb's was a coordinating Minnie shirt -- with hearts all over.

Brian Bennett