PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve in the park?

Iluvwalt
10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
We are planning a trip to DLR on Jan. 1st because our delux pass is not blocked out that day....but, I am wondering if we should just pay the extra $$ for tickets on the 31st and ring in the new year with Mickey. Is it worth the money? How much are the blockout day tickets? Are there any special events near midnight? I need some advice from those of you that have experienced new year's eve in the park.....I did notice it is open until 2:00a.m. that day...wow!! Thanks sooo much!

tod
10-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Most of the day, it's just another day at Disneyland.

At 9 pm, there's a faux-midnight celebration for the East Coast TV shows.

Around 10 pm, they hand out hats and noisemakers. The hats are plastic and the noisemakers are little rolled-cardboard horns. Falls into the "nice gesture" category rather than the "Wow! This is cool!" category. The Plaza becomes impassible about this time. People sit down wherever they can and if you have a stroller or a wheelchair... that's too bad.

At midnight there are fireworks. Often, a blinking sign with the new year number will rise out of the Matterhorn during the fireworks.

Years ago, there was a special-admission party at Disneyland for New Year's. No longer. If you are AP holders already, it may not be worth the extra money.

--t

ILovePoker
10-14-2005, 04:40 PM
The park will be filled to capacity. Better get there early.

pisces
10-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Most of the day, it's just another day at Disneyland.

At 9 pm, there's a faux-midnight celebration for the East Coast TV shows.

Around 10 pm, they hand out hats and noisemakers. The hats are plastic and the noisemakers are little rolled-cardboard horns. Falls into the "nice gesture" category rather than the "Wow! This is cool!" category. The Plaza becomes impassible about this time. People sit down wherever they can and if you have a stroller or a wheelchair... that's too bad.

At midnight there are fireworks. Often, a blinking sign with the new year number will rise out of the Matterhorn during the fireworks.

Years ago, there was a special-admission party at Disneyland for New Year's. No longer. If you are AP holders already, it may not be worth the extra money.

--t

It's more than just another day. They have live entertainment on the Rivers of America throughout the day. They have extra showings of Fantasmic. They have extra boogie/swing bands, plus a lot of other live entertainment set up around the Park at different satellite locations. There's a lot of different things to choose from.

But, you need to be organized and decide where you want to be .....when, and maybe plant yourself there.

It can be done.

TowerofTerror
10-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Its really fun I`ve done it 2 years in row.The park is usually really crowded on New Years Eve but this past one it was crowded dues to the fact it was a rainy day. The park never reached capacity it only had 40,000 compared to 70,000.

janell
10-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Its so much fun. I have been going to Disneyland on New Years Eve for the last 15 years. You need to be in DL early and see where you like to be for the night, because it get so crowed that you can't move. They have a DJ by Its a Small World and I think somewhere else. I forget, because the last few years my friends have joined me and one of them can't take the croweds so we hangout at night at DCA, where there is not a lot of people and you can move around and go on rides.

Have fun.

nightdesigns
10-15-2005, 07:59 AM
I've done it, it's fun. They have live music everywhere, people are all there to party. Don't plan on getting on many rides, the place will be packed. The countdown is a lot of fun.

PrincessAmie
10-15-2005, 10:26 AM
We have had so much fun the years we have been there for New Years. Now that we have a kiddo we don't go, and New Years hasn't been the same. :)

It is very packed. But if you go in with that in mind, you will have a blast!

newportbeachbumz
10-15-2005, 09:52 PM
My husband and I thought it would be fun to go... It was very crowded - we expected it to be! We ended up somewhere near the castle for the countdown - before we knew we were trapped - once you're in it - you cannot move! Those horn blower things they handed out made for a gross experience - everyone blowing them up into the air while your waiting... remember you can't move ... well what goes out of horn blowers into the air must come down - all I felt was this mist. I was so disgusted - think of hundreds of people and their spit - and you can't get away:eek:

We did get a hotel room and had fun "ice skating" at the Disneyland Hotel - I don't know if they do that still. It was also fun to see the entertainment around. It can be a lot of fun as long as you know your not really there for the rides and expect a whole lot of people.:)

Colin
10-16-2005, 04:17 AM
I can't comment on DLR, but in DLP New Years Eve is the best evening of the entire year, I absolutely love it, I have done it the last 3 years and I am going again this New Year. The atmosphere in the park is nothing like I have ever experienced at any park any other time of the year, its just electric. In Paris they have a Disco in Central Plaza which plays lotsa poppy/disco style music, and then at midnight you count down (in french) and then they have New Years Eve Fireworks, which for the last 2 years at least have been done to the Treasure Planet theme tune, its nice, but I hope they change it this year :) If you have the chance you should do it, I know if given the chance i'd rather be in DLR than DLP for this new years eve, but hey, i'll be happy regardless, seeing New Year in in a Disney Theme Park is an awesome experience! :) Do It!

C°o°lin

The Lovely Mrs. tod
10-17-2005, 09:51 AM
It's busy and the hats and noisemakers may not be first class souveniers, but the good mood of the park and the CM's are way above average that night. There's something about a big crowd on New Years Eve that doesn't seem quite as frenetic as it is any other time of the year. By 11pm it's shoulder to shoulder in the Plaza but the anticipation seems to override the crush. The CM's are in high spirits and, one of my favorite moments last year? We were all on the train about 10pm and, as we came out of the Toon Town Station the conductor was giving us the usual arms and feet inside the train instructions. As we were approaching Small World she announced "and all of you who already have your noisemakers, please...BLOW 'EM AS LOUD AS YOU CAN!"

We rolled past IASW blowing horns and waving hats with the contuctor yelling "I can't hear you!" and the folks in line looking up at us, wondering where we got whatever it was we had been imbibing.

Crowded? Absolutely. Worth it? For my money, you bet.

-TLMt

nursemelis374
10-17-2005, 09:56 AM
We went last year and had a great time! It had been raining, so it wasn't nearly as crowded as we had expected. We had a great time dancing in DCA to the DJ and then watching the Fab Four. We got our spots in front of the castle at about 10:30 and then waited for midnight. It was fun waiting and at midnight it was pretty cool. We walked on a bunch of rides after midnight.

We are already planning on going this year again!

hbquikcomjamesl
10-17-2005, 10:03 AM
I've been doing it for years, because it's one of the few places where one can do New Year's Eve stone cold sober without feeling left-out. (Before that, when I used to work at an ice rink, I volunteered to serve as "acting assistant manager" for some church group's annual skating/broomball party, which was just about the only other place one can go to spend New Years Eve sober with one's fellow tee-totalers).

Malcon10t
10-17-2005, 10:23 AM
We are planning a trip to DLR on Jan. 1st because our delux pass is not blocked out that day....but, I am wondering if we should just pay the extra $$ for tickets on the 31st and ring in the new year with Mickey. Is it worth the money? How much are the blockout day tickets? Are there any special events near midnight? I need some advice from those of you that have experienced new year's eve in the park.....I did notice it is open until 2:00a.m. that day...wow!! Thanks sooo much!We have gone every year since 1998 except one. We will be there this year. Its a blast. Unless its raining, plan on being at the park early and staying. There are bands in the different lands, different hats at each land, and a lot going on. They do the fake midnight for the Rockin Eve at 9, usually near Small World, and they have people at the castle. My kids love it and so we go every year.

Leli
10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
I went to ring in '04. It was great, and yes very crowded. I just loved how everybody reacted to the beach balls. It was like a big mass acting as one. You'd hear "ooooooooo" if it was getting too close to the water. You would hear "awwwwwww" if it got stuck on top of a cart or if it popped. I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I also thought it was great to see a guy get on the stage and propose. :D

mystycalchyk
10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I dont think I could handle NYE without being parked in the Hub at Disneyland.

It would break my heart. :(
This year will be our 8th now. I cant wait. :D

*geek to the core and proud of it*

pisces
10-18-2005, 07:06 AM
We went last year and had a great time! It had been raining, so it wasn't nearly as crowded as we had expected. We had a great time dancing in DCA to the DJ and then watching the Fab Four. We got our spots in front of the castle at about 10:30 and then waited for midnight. It was fun waiting and at midnight it was pretty cool. We walked on a bunch of rides after midnight.

We are already planning on going this year again!

Oh well, yes, .......for those that don't care about that countdown....you've pretty much got walk-on rides all throughout the park from about 11:45 pm - 12:15 am.

From about 12:15 am - 12:45am--ish it becomes crowded again. But once more from 1:00 am - 2:00 am every single ride is walk-on.

Because of the back-to-back Fantasmic shows all the way up to 12:30 am......Pirates/Haunted Mansion should be walk on, pretty much, the whole evening....while the Fantasmic shows are going on.

I was there last NYE. I reentered the Park, after my long nap, ....at about 12:40 am. It wasn't raining at that time, but the Park was nearly empty. I had an hour and 15 minutes of an open park with any ride I wanted, walk-on. Of course there was trash strewn all over the place, and weird music going on, but nevertheless, an empty park with absolutely no lines for anything.