PDA

View Full Version : Whats the strangest park souvenier you have?

Pages : [1] 2

mcampisi
03-07-2002, 10:18 AM
I will probably think of a lot of stuff I have, but one thing I came across that made me think of this was I have a feather from one of the doves they released at the Mr. Lincoln rededication last year on July 17th. Oh, and some confetti from the DCA B-day event.

Hopefully this won't be a post full of things that people have grabbed off attractions!! Shame on you! :)

MammaSilva
03-07-2002, 10:22 AM
along with a zillion "normal" ones, a few of my "unique" ones, I have one of the tissue paper oak leaves from the old Pocohantas stage show, I have confetti from light magic, I have a small piece of moss from Splash Mountain, no we didn't swipe it out of the ride, it broke down, my brother and the kids were evacuated and it was on the ground (not part of the "show") so he picked it up and brought it to me since he knows I love the ride.....I have napkins/reciepts from every visit, ummm I'm sure I have more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head

mad4mky
03-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Um...am I allowed to say this?...and does it count?

A long, long time ago...in my youth, when I was young and foolish (ok, well, I am still foolish, but not so young...), I got a hickie while riding on Inner Space....

It faded...as does some of the memories. But, that was my strangest souvenier of the park...;)

shame on me....:( ;)

ae's mom
03-07-2002, 11:13 AM
My daughter stuffed her pockets with the "snow" confetti from the Christmas Parade!! I brought home the paperbags that our mousemeals came in and, of course, the napkins!!

Uncle Dick
03-07-2002, 11:14 AM
Parking tickets from every visit during the last year. My dad's Grad Nite ticket from 1974. A napkin from the late, lamented Big Thunder BBQ.

MammaSilva
03-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
My dad's Grad Nite ticket from 1974.

Ok now I feel seriously OLD my grad nite was in '73 :(

mad4mky
03-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva

Ok now I feel seriously OLD my grad nite was in '73 :(

Well, mine was in 1977....Hubby's was 1969!!

cstephens
03-07-2002, 01:16 PM
Well, I'm not sure about "strangest", but one of my most treasured DL souvenirs is a t-shirt made for CMs for the closing of Casa Mexicana. Being a regular at Casa Mex, I got to know the then-manager there, and when I found out about the t-shirts, I asked her to let me know if they had any extras left over. On a rare afternoon visit to the park, I spoke to her and found out that she had a handful left. I promptly bought the remaining stock from her, kept one, kept one for my then-fiance/soon-to-be-husband, and gave the remainder to various friends. On Casa Mex's last day, we were on honeymoon in Orlando, but a friend kindly picked up two of the closing buttons for us.

/cs

socabch
03-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Still have confetti from Festival of Fools show. Great memories of that show. We would stay after the show and watch the fireworks from the benches. No crowds.

Ozymandius
03-08-2002, 10:36 AM
Let's see...

1 - Preferred Parking Tag (The Yellow ones)
1 - Club 33 Parking Tag (The Blue ones)
1 - Old Ceramic Plate they used to give food on from Casa Mexicana.
1 - Club 33 stuff (Pen, Mint, Napkin, Champagne Glasses etc.)
1 - Mouse Ears (The white ears) very old.
2 - New Ticket books from 1970's, still unused

I have more but these are the ones that you really can't buy...

:D

innerSpaceman
03-08-2002, 03:25 PM
My fave unusual souvenirs are the Disneyland birthday buttons or ribbons I've been able to sweet talk my way into getting from CMs. It was rare that I'd be able to get 'em, but it happened more often than I would have thought. (Nowadays, of course, I just get them off e-bay the day after the birthday).

My other unusual souvenirs are, I am ashamed and degraded to admit, stuff I have swiped from attractions. I have something from Swiss Family Robinson which, now that it is gone, I am glad I swiped. I also have a couple of items from the Haunted Mansion. My moral fiber was not too well developed in my youth. I would never steal anything from the Park as a grown-up, but I can't say that I'm that upset to have my 3 attractions items. I still manage to sleep at night, and the HM stuff comes in very handy at Halloweentime.

Tink
03-08-2002, 06:24 PM
:p I am sooo relieved that I am not the only one who collects confetti from the parades and shows, for a while there I thought it was just a strange addiction of mine....

I am also wierd enough to have collected napkins and straw wrappers from DL.... when I was much, much younger - really.;)

Lost Boy
03-08-2002, 06:53 PM
I don't know if this qualifies but I have a huge (4ft X 3ft) blueprint of the Park, circa 1980's or so. I know it has the old Fantasyland with the Pirate Ship on it and no Space Mountain. I have it framed and haning on the wall. It is black and white and the paper, being blueprint paper, glows like it is lit from behind when I turn on the Black Lights in my room. It shows every street by name, every backstage building by name and every ride building by name. It is very detailed and is on a graph that is very precise as to measurments and scale. I bought it at a convention years ago. I alos have a poster from the Park that has a picture of Roger Rabbit flying in a sleigh pulled by Bennie the Cab over the Christmas Parade and says "Rober Rabbit's Very 1st Christmas at Disneland". I have one of the $1,000,000,000 rubber money peices that used to hang from the tree at Goofy's Bounce House. No I didn't swipe it, it is in mint condition and was purchased at a convention, but it is from Disneyland. It says so righ on the bill.

FEJ
03-08-2002, 08:37 PM
My hire-in paperwork from 1985 (when i was in high school)
Old Name Badges (35th anniversary and Mickey Mouse styles)
35th anniversary party ticket
Probably my favorite:

a cigar band from the Disneyland tobacco shop (not used)

disneynut
03-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Tink
:p I am sooo relieved that I am not the only one who collects confetti from the parades and shows, for a while there I thought it was just a strange addiction of mine....

I am proud to say that I have a ton of those tissue paper things they shot out during Animazement. A strange addiction, you say?? No, no, no. Great background for scrapbooking!! (And cheap too!)

Duo Maxwell
03-08-2002, 08:47 PM
I have a piece of mylar tassell stuff from NYE 1996 that was used to decorate the Tomorrowland Terrace.

AVP
03-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Tink and Disneynut, add me to the list of people who collect confetti. I have confetti from almost every show and parade at Disneyland within the last 6 years or so, plus confetti that friends have brought to me from all over the Disney World. (Yes, I am the proud owner of ant-print confetti streamers from the "Bugs Life World Mall Tour")

My strangest Disneyland Souvenir has to be my authentic Fantasmic! guest control flashlight that a CM traded to me in exchange for a balloon poodle I had just made. In retrospect, I really should have found a way to turn it back in, but it's a funny little prop to have laying around. (Now, where is that thing? Oh, yeah - the hall closet)

The strangest souvenir I DIDN'T keep was my authentic piece of Disneydendron. I was at Disneyland during a very bad wind storm, and a 12" branch from the Swiss people's treehouse fell to the ground, almost hitting me. I picked it up, and went to find someone to tell about the disintergrating tree. My friend pointed to a guy standing by the Jungle Cruise dock, and told me to that he was Paul Yeagin - head of facilities or maintenance for the park. So, I handed the large branch to Mr. Yeargin, told him where it came from, and watched as he scrambled to get someone over to inspect the treehouse. I wish I had kept at least one leaf, but the look on his face when I placed the branch in his arms and he realized that it was concrete and metal was priceless.

AVP

Clint
03-08-2002, 09:40 PM
I still have Disneyland oxygen in my lungs from last month's visit.
I also enjoy collecting and drinking water from Disneyland lagoons and rivers and I try as often as possible to stain my clothes with Disneyland food. My next step is preserving Disneyland smells. Right now I'm working on Pirates of the Caribbean. It's pretty tough, but I'll get there.

Oh yeah, and all the plants in my front and back yards grew from seeds dropped by plants at Disneyland.

MonorailMan
03-09-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Clint
I still have Disneyland oxygen in my lungs from last month's visit.
I also enjoy collecting and drinking water from Disneyland lagoons and rivers and I try as often as possible to stain my clothes with Disneyland food. My next step is preserving Disneyland smells. Right now I'm working on Pirates of the Caribbean. It's pretty tough, but I'll get there.

Oh yeah, and all the plants in my front and back yards grew from seeds dropped by plants at Disneyland.

Talk about a dedicated fan! :eek: :eek:

mousecat
03-11-2002, 01:42 PM
I found a serving tray of the park before the park was opened. It has a wonderful drawing with very little detail. For example, the island is home to miniature famous buildings like Mt. Vernon and Monticello. Main Street has storefronts on the backside. It provides a wonderful base map of the topographic features of the park.

Hey mad4mky, I too went to Grad night in '77. Remember the line for Space Mountain? It had just opened and the line went all the way down to Main Street.

Sam

mad4mky
03-11-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by mousecat
I found a serving tray of the park before the park was opened. It has a wonderful drawing with very little detail. For example, the island is home to miniature famous buildings like Mt. Vernon and Monticello. Main Street has storefronts on the backside. It provides a wonderful base map of the topographic features of the park.

Hey mad4mky, I too went to Grad night in '77. Remember the line for Space Mountain? It had just opened and the line went all the way down to Main Street.

Sam

Yes...but back then...we didn't seem to mind. We were too busy flirting with boys from other schools to care.
Today, I would never wait in a line like that for Space Mountain...but, back then....it was the best ride Disneyland had, and felt worth the wait.

A few years later, I was there the weekend Big Thunder Mountain opened...and that line was twice as bad...only it was during the heat of August or September...

LIMANDL4EVA
03-11-2002, 06:41 PM
KINDA off subjet but i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE how they sell that 'pimp' crud in tommorowland stores and DCA that is SO not disney

DZNEENUT
03-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Sometimes attraction pieces, logos, and stickers are thrown away and those of us who empty the trash find fantastic collectables.

Unused prize tickets from the 30th Birthday celebration. Confetti from the 35th birthday parade.

Clint
03-12-2002, 05:57 PM
I forgot my sweater in one of the lockers outside the Disneyland main entrance once, so I called the park the next day and they mailed it back to me free. The bubble package it came in had Disneyland's address and the "Disney's California Adventure" logo stamped on it. I kept it. When I get around to it, I'll cut out the sticker with the address and the stamp and paste it in my scrapbook and then throw the rest of the packaging away.

justagrrl
03-21-2002, 09:00 AM
This is more of Disney souvenier - not necessarily disneyland -

I have a book from childhood called Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Cookbook. It's about 90 pages...a "little golden book" - but it's not little and doesn't have that little golden book golden edge. It's basically a cookbook for kids that covers all sorts of fun recipes (like Wonderland pancakes and the mad hatters unbirthday cake and Scrooge Mc Ducks Blueberry crunch!). Lot's of fun.

(here's a pic of one http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y01Y5761165Y9087287/qid=1016733836/sr=1-/ref=z_ret_b_oop_03/102-2500812-0040102 )