PDA

View Full Version : When it rains, what do you enjoy doing?

Pages : [1] 2

SeansMom
10-14-2005, 08:26 AM
As DL/DCA enters into the season of more rain, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of what things they like to do when the weather gets nasty.
I'll start by saying when it rained, we gave in to the fact we'd be soaked and road GRR like 8 times in a row :eek: !

What abouit YOU?

jrad32
10-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Can't beat rain at Disneyland for low ride wait times. It's the best.

tlovesdis
10-14-2005, 09:20 AM
We like to head into the Animation Building at DCA. We watch some of the movie clips, visit the 4 areas, and see lots of characters!

We also love to ride the long rides, like Pirates, Small World, etc...

Alice Fan
10-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Drink hot chocolate and take advantage of the short lines!!! Love the GRR idea!

DianeM
10-14-2005, 09:29 AM
I've only been at DL once when it rained heavily. I mean heavy - Everybody dashed for cover in an Adventureland store, and we were soaked. It was fun, though... it was a warm rain. In fact, when I think of it, it wasn't DL, it was WDW. My wussy husband bought one of the yellow rain ponchos that magically bloomed in every disney store the moment the rain started. We stood and watched the rain from the store, and when it lightened up we went on more rides. I like the idea of giving in to it. Riding Grizzley sounds like a great idea.

As DL/DCA enters into the season of more rain, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of what things they like to do when the weather gets nasty.
I'll start by saying when it rained, we gave in to the fact we'd be soaked and road GRR like 8 times in a row :eek: !

What abouit YOU?

crazi4dlr
10-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Rain???? In Sunny California?????:D

Koala Gurl
10-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Put on a poncho & enjoy the short lines! :D

MouseFaninQueue
10-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Rain??? RAIN??? :confused:

Sure try and jinx the good weather for me.

We leave tonight for DL and if it rains .......:mad:

;)

Clotho
10-14-2005, 10:30 AM
I love the GRR idea!

Hubby and I are from Seattle. While the rain in CA tends to get you wetter (Seattle tends to be misty rains, and drizzly rains), we still have the stomach for being in it. We love seeing everyone else run for cover and ponchos, whil we queue up for a ride as usual.

I have to say, when we went two years ago, it was rainy at some point just about every day. And sadly, seems nobody went home! They just got ponchos and kept riding. So their wet ponchos got on EVERYTHING. We had to sit on wet seats, the bathroom stalls were soaked, including the soggy toilet paper, etc. It was miserable! Nobody was taking them off when going inside, so they just brought the wet into the only dry places. ICK!

tod
10-14-2005, 10:46 AM
I like to take the train, but make sure the train cars have solid roofs. One train has canvas supported by poles. Gravity forms a concave space, and the concave space fills with dust and debris, just like any roof, no big deal.

Until it rains.

Then the dust and leaves mix with the rainwater and make a nasty little soup there in the well, and along comes an updraft, usually when the train is on the Main Street-Frontierland leg of the journey, and zoop it all comes down on the guests. :eek:

Make sure the train car has a solid roof. Trust me on this.

--t

lbrackjo
10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
The best thing about the rain besides the lack of lines, is to visit at night. Walking up Main Street with all the lights reflecting off the wet sidewalks and streets is unbelievable. But also too the emptiness of the place at night in the rain is cool.

qwiksliver1022
10-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Water ride marathon! It would be the perfect time to get caught up on all the missed soakings due to high summer wait times.

monorail1
10-14-2005, 01:08 PM
I go on Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror since the rain adds to the themeing of the rides!

T&Rshep
10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Pirates is a good one to go one because the ride is really long and you spend less time walking around in the rain. I like seeing everyone in their yellow ponchos with Mickey on the back. Getting one of those soup in a bread bowl is a great way to warm up during rainy days.

mi_mous
10-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Hot Chocolate and short lines are a plus.. we went when it was pouring in December to eat at Goofy's kitchen, and decided to do DL while we were up there. Since we have AP's it was no big deal.
Sat on the porch at Main Street and people watched (My daughter was asleep). Caught rides with my son while my mom stayed with my daughter on the porch. We figured we weren't getting any drier, so what the heck??
We also surprisingly saw a lot of characters under canopy's and such.. got some cute "cozy" looking warm pictures on an otherwise cold night with Cinderella and Snow White, dressed up in winter clothes.
Santa was also a fun one to do when it rained, he was at the end of Mr. Lincoln.

Pirate Princess
10-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I love this thread. I have never been to DL when it rained and my first instinct would be that it would make it the worst trip ever, however, this thread gives those of us who may see it that way a new, cozier, perspective. (I especially like the Haunted Mansion thought… much creepier than the usual 80+ degrees and sweating.)
Keep the ideas coming!

emmah
10-15-2005, 11:34 PM
One of the days of my visit this past January, was a rainy day. It rained and rained and rained. I was completely unprepared (I had no idea it rained in California!) so I bought one of those rain poncho's from the shop near Indy (which were really expensive for what is really a glorified rubbish bag with slits up the side!), and just gave in to the wet side. There were no queues for anything, although there were quite a few people in the park, so it was a good day to experience all of the rides that were not shut for maintenance (a lot of them were - SM, Splash, Teacups, Railway for eg). They didn't run the jungle cruise because of the rain, and the boats on the rivers of America didn't run either. But I tried most of the other rides in the rain and it was fine. The only one I really regretted was GRR at DCA - going up the hill with all those leaking pipes, dribbling cold water down my poncho, was not fun, and I got so super splashed and was really cold and miserable. Afterwards I went to Storytellers for lunch, literally dripping wet, and sat by the fire to warm up. And then by mid afternoon the rain stopped, it warmed up and everything was fine again.:) :) :) This trip (Nov 29 - Dec 4) I am taking my poncho and an umbrella just to be safe!

TowerofTerror
10-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I like all the rides when its rainy day at the park. I enjoy the rides that are water types like splash mountain and GRR.

Shinku
10-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Rainy days are great because all of us spoiled southern californians ate OUTRAGED and storm city hall for refunds, or just leave altogether, thereby leaving the park virtually empty. You get the opportunity to ride a lot more rides due to the shorter lines.

POTC, Haunted mansion, "long" rides like that are really good because you get a chance to dry off for 15 minutes or so. Peter Pan's line instantly gets shorter and it's about the only time I'm willing to stand in the line at 3pm. BTMRR is a blast in the rain! Just be sure to wear a jacket.

blusilva
10-16-2005, 08:10 PM
I love The Matterhorn in the rain. For some reason, the rain whipping in your face on the outside parts makes it seem faster. Just close your mouth when re-entering the mountain. Trust me. :x

BQ2
10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Can't beat rain at Disneyland for low ride wait times. It's the best.

Ditto

Another Dimension
10-16-2005, 10:16 PM
When it rains, what do you enjoy doing?

Mouse Adventure. :)

melmel
10-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Drink hot chocolate and pray that the cast diner is serving Chicken-Fried Steak that day. This is the perfect rainy day combo. It even rains in the basement, the water leaking in from PotC. Ahhh... rainy season.

Vegitabeta
10-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Wearing a yellow poncho.

charpaul
10-17-2005, 04:19 AM
If it is really pouring it is the perfect time to do the "FantasyLand" tour.
The wait time for these attractions is almost nothing. Once last spring I was able to do a walk on of all the Fantasyland attractions in the middle of the day. My friends and I were soaked already because of the rain, but we did each attraction 2x just for fun. It was the most enjoyable time I have EVER had in Fantasyland :D