PDA

View Full Version : Early Dec - Which week is less crowded?

itig
10-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi all...due to some issues at work, I may need to change our Nov 13-18 visit to early December :(

I know the Candlelight Procession is the 3rd and 4th and I'm wondering which week would be the least crowded at the park. I'm looking at being in the park for 5 days and these are the options I have:

Monday, Dec 5 to Friday, Dec 9

or

Monday, Dec 12 to Friday, Dec 16

Any advice or words of wisdom are much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Mommy2NicknMax
10-14-2005, 08:05 AM
I usually go the second week in December and it's very nice. Although this year with the 50th it will be more crowded, I'm sure. I believe the first two days that week (5th and 6th) are days DL closes early for cast parties.

Have a great trip!

itig
10-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I usually go the second week in December and it's very nice. Although this year with the 50th it will be more crowded, I'm sure. I believe the first two days that week (5th and 6th) are days DL closes early for cast parties.

Have a great trip!

Thanks! I think you're right about those early closing days. We've gone this week in the past and I remember that happening.

Anyone have any thoughts on the following week? (Dec 12-16)?

Thanks!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-14-2005, 11:35 AM
How early are we talking, that they close?

itig
10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
How early are we talking, that they close?

Last time we went, it was 6pm.

Darkbeer
10-14-2005, 11:57 AM
The second choice has one day of peak in it (Friday, December 16th).

One of the reasons that the CM parties are on the 5th and 6th, is the fact that week is one of the slowest of the year, and I think even with losing a total of 4 hours, you should get more done during that week, and the fireworks on Monday and Tuesday at 5:45 should have some of the lightest crowds of the year.

itig
10-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info!

Pirate Princess
10-15-2005, 05:20 PM
It seems like EVERYONE (including my family) seems to be going the week starting the 12th. If I were you, and had a choice, I'd opt for Dec 5-9. It should be a lot less crowded!

DangerMouse
10-15-2005, 06:18 PM
It seems like EVERYONE (including my family) seems to be going the week starting the 12th. If I were you, and had a choice, I'd opt for Dec 5-9. It should be a lot less crowded!

Yes, I agree. We are going the 11-14th and will tell everyone who asks, that this is a SUPER BUSY time, and you must make plans to go another time. :p

Pirate Princess
10-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes, I agree. We are going the 11-14th and will tell everyone who asks, that this is a SUPER BUSY time, and you must make plans to go another time. :p
Not sure if you are being sarcastic.. but, it's true. Many colleges get out on the 9th. It's not just students who are out, but the faculty and the thousands and thousands of people who work there to keep it functioning as well. Also, it is the week before school gets out. As a young kid, when school isn't about how your grades will effect college applications (like 4th grade for example), parents used to take their kids out of school for vacations sometime during the last week since it is mostly parties and non-academic stuff.
So... again, my bet is the first week.

DangerMouse
10-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Not sure if you are being sarcastic.. but, it's true. Many colleges get out on the 9th. It's not just students who are out, but the faculty and the thousands and thousands of people who work there to keep it functioning as well. Also, it is the week before school gets out. As a young kid, when school isn't about how your grades will effect college applications (like 4th grade for example), parents used to take their kids out of school for vacations sometime during the last week since it is mostly parties and non-academic stuff.
So... again, my bet is the first week.

Really? A lot of college students and faculty go to Disney for winter break? Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed that. Good thing I have Ridemax then. If October crowds are any indication of off-peak times this fall/winter, then I am sure I'll be needing it.

Pirate Princess
10-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Really? A lot of college students and faculty go to Disney for winter break? Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed that. Good thing I have Ridemax then. If October crowds are any indication of off-peak times this fall/winter, then I am sure I'll be needing it.

Not so much college students.. but faculty and staff have children believe it or not. (Although, this college student has a child :D )

And think about the amount of staff: Cooks the food at each restaurant, cafeteria, fast food etc. (Our school must have close to a 1,000 alone.) Maintenance workers. Operators. Career/guidance counselors. Disability department. Cashiers. Admin and Records... etc etc. That's a lot of people (in the adult category, most with children) who are let loose.

DangerMouse
10-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Not so much college students.. but faculty and staff have children believe it or not. (Although, this college student has a child :D )

And think about the amount of staff: Cooks the food at each restaurant, cafeteria, fast food etc. (Our school must have close to a 1,000 alone.) Maintenance workers. Operators. Career/guidance counselors. Disability department. Cashiers. Admin and Records... etc etc. That's a lot of people (in the adult category, most with children) who are let loose.

Yes, but if their children are school-age, they would have to take their children out of school to go during this time. Most school districts are still in session during this week.

Pirate Princess
10-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Yes, but if their children are school-age, they would have to take their children out of school to go during this time. Most school districts are still in session during this week.
Sorry to be cyclical but...

"As a young kid, when school isn't about how your grades will effect college applications (like 4th grade for example), parents used to take their kids out of school for vacations sometime during the last week since it is mostly parties and non-academic stuff."
I know many parents who do this still. All I'm saying is that the first week will be significantly less crowded due to these reasons. All I'm doing is trying to give the best advice.. geez.

DangerMouse
10-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Sorry to be cyclical but...

"As a young kid, when school isn't about how your grades will effect college applications (like 4th grade for example), parents used to take their kids out of school for vacations sometime during the last week since it is mostly parties and non-academic stuff."
I know many parents who do this still. All I'm saying is that the first week will be significantly less crowded due to these reasons. All I'm doing is trying to give the best advice.. geez.

Sorry, not trying to debate your advice. Of course your opinion is valid, as is mine. We have traditionally gone the earlier weeks of December and the last two years have found them to be quite crowded (we guessed, in part, due to the Candlelight). That's why this year we have planned our time more mid-Dec, but making sure we are gone prior to peak. Like anyone here, I am just guessing and hoping that this will be a relatively uncrowded time to go, but we all know what a fool's errand guessing crowd size is. ;-)

Hope you all have a wonderful time at DL, no matter when you decide to go. But please stay away Dec. 10-14!!! :p ;)

geoffa
10-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi all...due to some issues at work, I may need to change our Nov 13-18 visit to early December :(

I know the Candlelight Procession is the 3rd and 4th and I'm wondering which week would be the least crowded at the park. I'm looking at being in the park for 5 days and these are the options I have:

Monday, Dec 5 to Friday, Dec 9

or

Monday, Dec 12 to Friday, Dec 16

Any advice or words of wisdom are much appreciated!!

Thanks!

The week after Thanksgiving is always the quietest at DL or WDW which is why we always go then. You start to get the Christmas stuff and parades without the crowds. With it being the 50th celebrations things may be a little different this year.:fez:

GrumpyGoofyGuy
10-16-2005, 08:34 AM
I would like to add my prediction. December 9th thru the 13th will be the worst time to go. Everybody please stay away during those dates! :~D

sierranevada
10-16-2005, 09:08 AM
This will be the third year in a row that we have gone the last week that school is still in session (12/11 - 12/17). We take my son out of school for the trip (yes, he is only in 4th grade and we do independent study for that week). The crowds have, in the past, been quite managable. The park is not empty but it is very easy to do everything that you want. The holiday atmosphere is in full swing - it is a great time to go. Now, it is quite possible that this year will be more crowded due to the 50th celebration but anything is better than the summer crowds!

miss bianca
10-17-2005, 07:29 AM
The second choice has one day of peak in it (Friday, December 16th).

Is it because it's not a black out date? Or because that's the day the Electrical Parade returns? Or some other reason?

Monte Cristo
10-17-2005, 11:40 AM
My family is going to DL the 12th through the 16th. My bet is it will be quite manageable up until Friday afternoon - then all bets are off.

My fiancee and I visted a couple of weeks ago, Thursday - Saturday. Thursday was light, no walk ons but we rode every ride we wanted to a couple of times. Friday was much busier, manageable but BUSY. Saturday was very crowded, with even a 40 minute wait for Pirates.

The first week in December is probably optimal, but the second week won't be too bad - up until the end of it, that is.

Darkbeer
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Is it because it's not a black out date? Or because that's the day the Electrical Parade returns? Or some other reason?

It is treated as peak by the folks who staff the park, and yes, since there are more entertainment options (the DEP, a second Fantasmic!) and longer hours. Disney only does these type of things during times they expect very large crowds.

itig
10-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Looks like we're going to be able to go on our original dates after all. Can I change the subject of this thread to "Mid-Nov - How crowded the 13th-18th" :P

Thanks all for you advice and info. I'm kind of wishing I could go on Dec 5th now. That's our usual and I'm a bit wary of the Nov date. I know we'll have a good time, we always do, but I love that extra elbow room :)