PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain DL strobe light effect before drop

Noah
10-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Question: what is the deal with the cheapo style strobe light effect behind the buzzards on the lift to the big DL Splash mountain drop? The flashing is not timed and it is almost like one of those random Christmas light type flash sequences. I wonder why they didnt use some sort of lightning effect or something.
I thought perhaps it was done on purpose to warn those of the drop although there is no signage or any sort of indication to provide that information to guests that alert them to the drop ahead (I am glad there is not, its part of the fun) but I would think that a lightning type effect would work much better for the show scene. Since everything is "E" ticket quality animitronic and set wise and then there is this cheapo random strobe kinda ruining the effect. Not a major deal but just kinda wondering what the logic was behind this decision.

DISNEYfied
10-13-2005, 07:48 PM
The light is the flash of the camera going off. Its your picture being taken.

Chris Lang
10-13-2005, 08:40 PM
The light is the flash of the camera going off. Its your picture being taken.

They don't take your photo on the lift hill, only the drop. The message was pretty clear it was on the lift hill prior to the drop.

WITron
10-13-2005, 08:54 PM
If it is what I am thinking it is supposed to be lightning behind them that is foreshadowing the doom of Brer Rabbit being roasted by Brer Fox.

Noah
10-13-2005, 09:01 PM
If it is supposed to be lightning it is a poor lightning effect. I know Imagineers can do Lightning as proven in Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room and Tower of Terror (just to name a few) but why such a poor lightning effect choice for Splash Mountain?

Shinku
10-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Perhaps it's to reduce red-eye? I dunno, just throwing it out there. *shrugs*

Mickey
10-16-2005, 09:21 AM
If it's the part where the buzzards are saying "so your looking for a laughing place eeeey" (on the hill before you drop)

Yeah it's low quality. Not a good effect.
I think on the hill they can do better with the lightning effect AND with much more volume to the "dramatic music" that is being played before you drop as you are going up the hill.

geoffa
10-16-2005, 09:28 AM
If it's the part where the buzzards are saying "so your looking for a laughing place eeeey" (on the hill before you drop)

Yeah it's low quality. Not a good effect.
I think on the hill they can do better with the lightning effect AND with much more volume to the "dramatic music" that is being played before you drop as you are going up the hill.

You can go to City Hall and fill out a suggestion card!:fez:

Noah
10-16-2005, 11:27 AM
It is just a bit confusing to me why they would have chosen that low quality effect since everything else is top notch. There must have been some type of reason or just budget constraint. If anyone is connected or has any freinds connected with Imagineering it would be interested to hear what there take is on that effect.

HorizonsA
10-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Sorry if I offend anyone, but the lightning effect has been like that since it opened, or as long as I can remember it, which has been like 16 years and you guys are now complaining about it?

MrTomMorrow
10-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I always thought it was a lightning effect to make the area more ominous as you approach the drop... Maybe the light coming through from the opening in the mountain makes the strobe light seem weaker?

CrazyMouse
10-16-2005, 10:07 PM
What to do? SMILE! :D

Noah
10-17-2005, 12:47 PM
HorizonA: The post is not to "Complain" about the effect, it is to try an understand the Imagineering logic that went into implementing that portion of the ride. To tell you the truth I have ridden the ride many times from Opening day on and I do not recall that same standard flashing strobe in that position (but you may be right and perhaps I just never noticed it until now)
I am more tuned in to the smaller effects that make up an attraction now and became interested in the logic behind the decision making process.
It is a question not a complaint.

mkcbunny
10-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Perhaps it's to reduce red-eye? I dunno, just throwing it out there. *shrugs*
This is actually what I always thought. It may not make sense since our eyes are all so tiny in those pictures, but it did occur to me that it might be for that purpose. But then again, the bright light coming out of the darkness ought to do that just as well.