PDA

View Full Version : Orange Stinger question

chinamama
10-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Ok DD 8 has Autism, and for the last 2 trips she has BEGGED us to let her ride on the Orange Stinger, but she has been to short to ride on it.

Well I am trying to decide if I trust her enough to ride.... So all of you who have done it, what do you think? I guess I am worried that if she got scared she might try and climb out! I have never ridden on it so does the spinning keep you from being able to stand on the seat? Does the bar lock into position? HELP!!!! :confused:

Drince88
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
I haven't been on this one (no appeal to me) but one sister had, and complained that the spinning direction of the swing 'was off' from the spiral direction of the peel of the orange. I only mention that, because it might be kind of like a strobe light, which I know can trigger some people's reaction. (And as I type this I think - that's epilepsy, not autism, but since I know essentially nothing about either, I'll keep it in, on the off chance that it might help.)

emmah
10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
hi, the orange stinger is the only ride at the DLR that has made me feel really sick. it pushes you on an angle and something odd is up with the timing so you can't really get your bearings. In answer to your question, you could not stand up once you are locked into place BUT you might want to consider whether your daughter will be ok with keeping her feet out of danger; I remember several times brushing my feet against the ground and agst other chairs around me and it strikes me that if your daughter does not know to keep her feet up, there might be problems. hope this helps.

MacBaby
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
If I remember correctly, its not a locking bar, but a gravity bar that sits on your lap. You can move it up and down at will, even during the ride. My nieces love the ride.

qwiksliver1022
10-13-2005, 07:06 PM
That ride gave me the strangest feeling. Not as much as the swinging gondolas on the sun wheel. Those are just freaky.

DaddyB
10-13-2005, 07:35 PM
I love the ride. I often have dreams of flying, and Orange Stinger is just one of my favorites in Paradise Pier because it gives me that sensation. If your little one is asking to go on it, then she's probably a fairly highly functioning autistic child. I bet she'd be fine to go on it. I can't imagine being able to escape the seat at all. You might choose the seat right beside her so that you could be there to assure her as the ride is about to start, or if she starts to panic when it's going.

I'm sure if you mention to one of the CM's operating the ride to keep an eye on you just in case, they would do so.

My recollection is that the seat does have a belt that comes up from the middle bottom of the seat and snaps (I know there's a word for that particular kind of metal locking mechanism, but I can't think of it. Picture the metal end of a dog leash) into the horizontal bar. There's no way she could tip over backwards, since the chains are on all 4 corners of the seats.

You know, you could also sneak off (or have someone sneak off) and scope the ride out when everyone else is otherwise occupied, just to decide if you think the ride is safe enough for her.

Like I said, I love the ride and have NEVER felt sick after having been on it.

Rhiannon8404
10-13-2005, 07:39 PM
I've only been on this ride once. I went with my friends son because no one else would go with him. I was prepared to dislike it, but to my suprise, I really enjoyed it. It does feel very much like you are flying.

chinamama
10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I love the ride. I often have dreams of flying, and Orange Stinger is just one of my favorites in Paradise Pier because it gives me that sensation. If your little one is asking to go on it, then she's probably a fairly highly functioning autistic child. I bet she'd be fine to go on it. I can't imagine being able to escape the seat at all. You might choose the seat right beside her so that you could be there to assure her as the ride is about to start, or if she starts to panic when it's going.

I'm sure if you mention to one of the CM's operating the ride to keep an eye on you just in case, they would do so.

My recollection is that the seat does have a belt that comes up from the middle bottom of the seat and snaps (I know there's a word for that particular kind of metal locking mechanism, but I can't think of it. Picture the metal end of a dog leash) into the horizontal bar. There's no way she could tip over backwards, since the chains are on all 4 corners of the seats.

You know, you could also sneak off (or have someone sneak off) and scope the ride out when everyone else is otherwise occupied, just to decide if you think the ride is safe enough for her.

Like I said, I love the ride and have NEVER felt sick after having been on it.

Unfortunatly its one you would probably NEVER get me on :eek: I have trouble on soaring! But she LOVES it!!!!
Besides I think it is one of the few rides in the park that has a weight limit!

Thanks guys this is helping! Keep um coming!

mkcbunny
10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
If I remember correctly, its not a locking bar, but a gravity bar that sits on your lap. You can move it up and down at will, even during the ride.
And I agree about the feet dragging. Especially bad if you have open-toed shows. I was also swinging all over the place. I would not recommend it at all under your circumstances. The seat is not well-secured enough, to my mind.

Clotho
10-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I have to agree./ This is a carnie ride. That is, a ride you see at the travelikng carnival shows in department store parking lots. It is sturdier, but not much different. I doubt your daughter would drag her feet at her age, but overall, it is not a very secure *feeling* ride. That is what I personally LOVE about this kind of ride, but what might set off someone else. I would be cautious.

disneyhound
10-14-2005, 04:42 AM
The seats have a lap bar that is "locked" in place by a clip that everyone "locks" themselves. The clip is a dog leash to dog collar clip. If someone were to panic and try to get out, they probably could reach down and "unlock" the bar.

SandraVB79
10-14-2005, 05:00 AM
I have no problems with thrill rides (I love the Backwards Indy ride!!!), but I was really scared on the Orange Stinger, it gave me a weird and unsafe feeling.

But that's just me...

Anyways, I think it looks better than it is!

Mommy2NicknMax
10-14-2005, 06:51 AM
I have two sons with autism and I wouldn't allow either of them to ride this. I have the same fear you do, that they would try to unlock the belt if they were scared. Since my sons don't have the same fear of danger that the "typical" child would have, I'm not about to risk it over that ride.

You know your daughter best, if you think she may try to get out of it, I would wait until maybe she's older.

Stupid_American
10-14-2005, 08:09 AM
If you have a fear that your child might panic and try to climb out, don't alow her to ride this.
As has been stated, it doesn't actually lock and it could be possible for someone to climb from the seat.

Although you can ride in a swing next to your child, you can not ride with your child.
There will be nothing you can do.
Also, this isn't a ride that can be brought to a quick stop; it needs to wind down.

Enter The Mouse
10-14-2005, 05:00 PM
The orange stinger isn't that bad of a ride, speed wise. If ur daughter likes rides like the matterhorn or indiana jones she would be fine.

Enter The Mouse
10-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't let her ride it alone, i would suggest u find someone to ride with her.

BWthespian
10-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Does anybody remember when the swing seats where "bee butts"? Those were so fun lol what ever happened to them?

mi_mous
10-15-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't usually get sick on rides at all, or motion sickness either. This ride for some reason had me feeling soo dizzy and sick I would probably never ride again, and I loved the swing rides like that.

BalooNumberTwo
10-15-2005, 10:07 PM
I have no problems with thrill rides (I love the Backwards Indy ride!!!),

Backwards Indy ride? is there something i should know about here...does Indy run backwards?

ralfrick
10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Backwards Indy ride? is there something i should know about here...does Indy run backwards?

Yes-In Paris, and it's a different type of ride (rollercoaster?)

The Stinger type of ride is very common at amusement parks, fairgrounds, etc., so there's a good chance that one is near your home to investigate.

Cheers.

chinamama
10-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks you all have helped alot! I think I have been getting my own terror of some rides mixed up with her wanting to ride the Orange.... She spent this weekend twirling on swings and begging her Aunt and Uncle to spin her in circles so she would fly up off the ground ect.

She does have the fight or flight thing so I was thinking she would be terrified like I would, instead I am starting to think we would be perminatly camped out at the Orange Stinger! :D

Anyhow, an Idea that maybe some of you CM's can help me with.... Would there be any way that I could talk someone into letting her ride after the last ride of the day, just flip it on for maybe one revolution.... Am I being totaly unrealistic thinking that it might be able to be done, or that anyone would even give me the time of day??? I think it is mommy and daddy having trouble letting go....

More Help Please! :)

Vegitabeta
10-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Yes-In Paris, and it's a different type of ride (rollercoaster?)

Cheers.

I think they may have changed it to going forwards again, not sure.

CrazyTrain
10-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks you all have helped alot! I think I have been getting my own terror of some rides mixed up with her wanting to ride the Orange.... She spent this weekend twirling on swings and begging her Aunt and Uncle to spin her in circles so she would fly up off the ground ect.

She does have the fight or flight thing so I was thinking she would be terrified like I would, instead I am starting to think we would be perminatly camped out at the Orange Stinger! :D

Anyhow, an Idea that maybe some of you CM's can help me with.... Would there be any way that I could talk someone into letting her ride after the last ride of the day, just flip it on for maybe one revolution.... Am I being totaly unrealistic thinking that it might be able to be done, or that anyone would even give me the time of day??? I think it is mommy and daddy having trouble letting go....

More Help Please! :)

I don't think that can be done (note, I'm not a CM or affiliated with the company at all!) but if you hang around the ride at closing, you might be able to be the only ones on the very last ride... let anyone else go ahead of you and try to explain to the CM why you'd like a ride my yourselves, if he/she tries tto make you ride with others. Maybe you'll luck out and nobody else will be riding it that late anyway :)