PDA

View Full Version : Killer Bees at Disneyland?

TerryTiger
03-06-2002, 09:42 PM
I hopped on the train at the NOS station today (Wed.) around 4 PM. It was announced that the train would NOT be stopping at Tomorrowland station. As we passed Tomorrowland, we saw that the Autopia was closed, Monorail was closed, and Hatmosphere as well as the train station. All the CMs were lined up between the Autopia and Innoventions keeping guests out as a full-suited beekeeper was working in the Autopia entranceway.
Does anyone know any more about this?

disneynut
03-06-2002, 10:44 PM
About a year ago they had a hive that was disturbed in one of the trees in front of the Matterhorn. They had the area blocked off and CM's lined up so that no one could get near the area. When you looked up you could see a ton of bees by the trees. Maybe they had another hive that was bothered.

cemeinke
03-06-2002, 10:48 PM
You know, the sad thing about this report is that if I had gone to Disneyland today, I would have never have known about this. I rarely set foot in Tomorrowland these days.

Maybe they could turn this into an attraction a la the Helmstrom Chronicles or the Invasion of the Bee Girls?

Nigel2
03-06-2002, 11:41 PM
Are you sure they were Africianised "killer" bees? They were probably just normal bees since there was only 1 person doing stuff as you noted.

bluepearl
03-06-2002, 11:52 PM
I once had a friend tell me that Space Mountain was shut down for a few hours because a hive of bees was found inside the building. I've never been stung by a bee, but hearing their buzz makes me nervous!

Uncle Dick
03-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by bluepearl
I once had a friend tell me that Space Mountain was shut down for a few hours because a hive of bees was found inside the building. I've never been stung by a bee, but hearing their buzz makes me nervous!
So, does that mean you avoid the Orange Stinger? ;)

I'm not surprised that the Africanized Honey Bees were found in Disneyland. After all, they were supposed to have overrun North America 5 years ago, right? RIGHT??? :rolleyes:

Nigel2
03-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Acutally they were supposed to have overun the us, taken over congress, elected a president, and had a failing sitcom on UPN.:D

If it was a major danger (Killers usually) then the fire department would have to be called in since a bee suit does little (from what I hear) when it comes to killer bees.

DisneylandBoy
03-07-2002, 06:20 AM
During the summer, I have been chased a couple of times by bees. It's never fun. Running through Disneyland screaming my head off is not exactly how I want to spend my day there! (Actually, it was DCA where I get attacked the most but . . . oh well!)

dsnyredhead
03-07-2002, 06:26 AM
As jumpy as I get around bees, I hope it's not the africanized bees. I especially hate those. I can be in a group of friends and the bees will chase me before anyone else.

disneyholic family
03-07-2002, 07:35 AM
can you spray against bees the way you can against mosquitoes?...
WDW uses non-stop chemical warfare in an attempt to stop mosquitoes...

bluepearl
03-07-2002, 11:16 AM
Uncle Dick: The first time I got on the Orange Stinger was at Cast Blast in the beginning of February. I absolutely hated it! I never really liked those swing things in carnivals in the first place. :shrug:

And Nigel2, your comment about a failing show reminds me of how I used to really love Roswell. Completely off-topic! ;)

MouseWife
03-07-2002, 03:36 PM
I had never seen so many bees as I have the past few years.

I have been out driving around at least four times and have driven through a swarm. Luckily my windows were shut. The last time was the biggest one I had ever seen. It was also thick. They hit my windshield and it was scary! I felt badly for the people who were walking.

What about the swarms of butterflies last year? I thought it was debris flying around all over, like driving through a pile of leaves.
Alas they were pretty butterflies. :(

hbquikcomjamesl
03-07-2002, 04:39 PM
a bee suit does little (from what I hear) when it comes to killer bees.

Actually, the only beekeeper I know (Bob Rolle, my freshman physical science teacher in high school) rarely bothered with anything but a veil and a smoker. At any rate, it's not that Africanized bees' stings are any more venomous than the common Italian strain, nor are the stingers any longer, nor is a sting any less of a suicide attack for the individual bee; rather, they are simply more easily agitated, and tend to sting in greater numbers, and are perhaps statistically more likely to find their way inside a bee suit.

At any rate, in most cases, the best thing to do when you've attracted a bee's attention (and it happened to me once while a student at CSU Long Beach, around 20 years ago, which is about how long it's been since I've seen Bob Rolle) is to remain calm, and do nothing to make the bee feel threatened. It's entirely possible for a swarm to settle on a person for a fairly extended period of time, then leave without planting a single stinger.

Always SCRAPE the stinger out; if you grasp it, you may inject more venom.

Wasps, on the other hand, are entirely different, since they can sting repeatedly.

justagrrl
03-07-2002, 04:50 PM
"Africanized bees react to disturbance
around the hive. They can stay angry for
days after being disturbed. If one bee
stings, it releases an alarm that smells like
bananas. This pheromone causes the
other bees to become agitated and sting.
The Africanized Bee, like the honey bee,
dies when it stings. The tiny barbs on the
stinger stick in the victim. When the bee
tries to fly away, it rips its abdomen and
eventually dies. The opening video at the
top of this site shows a Africanized bee's
stinger entrapped in human skin. Under
usual circumstances, the result is discomfort for the human but death
for the bee. "

http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/bees/killer/

disneynut
03-07-2002, 04:53 PM
I can say with 99.9% assurance that the bees I saw in front of the Matterhorn were not the dreaded killer bees. I'm pretty sure it was a hive that had just been disturbed.

MouseWife
03-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl

[ If one bee stings, it releases an alarm that smells like
bananas. [/B]

Okay. I just found another reason not to eat bananas in public.

dsnyredhead
03-07-2002, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justagrrl
[B]"The Africanized Bee, like the honey bee, dies when it stings."

I don't feel sorry for the Bee!

slaakker
03-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Just a few quick notes on Africanized Bees.

The main difference between regular and "killer" bees is that they are teritorial and much more agressive.

You can not tell a regular bee from a killer bee by looking at it. They look exactly the same.

If attacked run away as they do not tend to follow. They just want you away from thier hive.

Do not swat at the bees. Bees that are killed emit an "odor" that basically makes the bees more agressive.

Bee safe!

Nigel2
03-07-2002, 10:18 PM
You can't really do any prevention (well I don't think you can) against bees since they don't need something like water to reproduce like a mosquito.

And we can not tell the difference but of course a beekeeper can tell since Killer bees do go into regular bee hives once in a while.

Also if for some reason you are getting chased by the bees run straight for cover sinc zig-zag only works with animals that are on the ground or swoop.

coronamouseman
03-08-2002, 06:04 AM
This may provide the newest attraction for California Adventure:
It's Tough to be a Human!

Build a tunnel from Bugland in DCA over to Space Mountain - new queue will lead from DCA to new Space Mountain themed as a roller coaster ride in the dark excaping from various insects - you could have bee storm, locusts, flys and the big finale will be an encounter with a giant spider or stinkbug which sprays you with the appropriate substance.

Then they could close up Tomorrowland right there at Star Tours and get to work on expanding Fanstasyland over into the current Tomorrowland area - maybe they could even put in the Mysterious Island complex from TDS ...............

dsnyredhead
03-08-2002, 06:24 AM
Since I've only been on "It's tough to be a bug" once and said seriously doubt I would ever go on it again....I don't think I will be spending much time in BugLand.:eek: