PDA

View Full Version : Train Cab info

WITron
10-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I know that on a couple of the trains that run around the park that you can ride in the cab. I was just wondering if there is a minimum age for this. My DD who is 3 loves trains and I am trying to make alot of memories for her and I think it would be great if she could ride in the cab with me. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Whittibo
10-13-2005, 06:24 AM
If the monorail is still running when you go, you can ride in the front with the driver IF you're the first one in line when the monorail gets there.

You can also have your daughter drive the Mark Twain. I imagine you can ask the captain, but when we went this year, he asked us.

On the horse drawn cart and the double decker bus, my girls rode up front this year. The cart held all 3, but the bus only held 2. I think if you were there with your daughter, she would be fine. Be sure to have someone take your picture with the CM in those places!!

Have a wonderful trip!

smd4
10-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Never heard of a minumum age. Three should be just fine.

It's not really a ride "in" the locomotive's cab, but rather right next to the cab, on the engine's "tender."

On Locomotives No. 1 (named C.K. Holliday, reddish-orange and black color with the big smokestack) and No. 2 (E.P. Ripley, green with the polished brass cap on its smokestack), there is a cushioned seat on the tender (now with a backrest and seatbelts). If you ask the conductor for a ride on one of these two engines, he will ask the engine crew, and you very well may be invited to the cab by the engineer (who has final authority).

You will then be able to climb up and onto the engine. The area between the engine and tender is called the "gangway," and the gap between the engine and the tender is bridged by a hinged steel plate that is free to move up and down, and side to side (called the cab apron). As the train rolls down the line, having the "floor" move beneath your feet may be a strange feeling.

You will feel the warmth from the fire in the engine's firebox, and there may be some occasional abrupt loud noises as the crew goes about their business, so be aware of this for little, sensitive ears. Often, the crews love to have guests aboard, and will be more than happy to answer any question you may have. You will be required to stay on the train the whole trip, since you can only board and disembark at Main Street.

Don't take it personally if you are not invited up. If the train has to take on water or fuel, you won't be able to ride. Just come back a little later, or of both 1 and 2 are on the line, wait for the next train.

Good luck, and have fun!

WITron
10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I remember riding up there years ago and enjoying a unique trip around the park. It will be a good experience and memory for my DD. We are also going to try and do the Mark Twain and Monorail, which I have done years ago.

stan4d_steph
10-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Please tell us about it if you do ride in the cab, WITron! :)

WITron
10-14-2005, 07:51 PM
I plan on doing a full trip report for the week we are there. :)