PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland's and Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountains...

mariogarza
10-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I've been on both Splash Mountains, but I'm way more familiar with the DL version.......I've been twice at WDW and it was on 1996 and 1999, so I don't remember much of it.....

Just wondering...besides the obvious differences as the logs, which are the most notable changes from one version to the other??? I remember them quite the same, but I don't know why everytime I ride the one at DL seem's darker for me, on the show scenes....I guess that's just me...

mkcbunny
10-12-2005, 09:56 PM
No, you are right. DLR's is darker. I've done them both a couple of times in the past 18 months, and that's one of the main differences between them. DLR Splash is darker in tone [the ending with the "Laughing Place" among other things], as well as darker in visuals [this affects the one, of course]. The MK version has brighter sets and background paintings, and the 3-D elements are less ragged. For example, the leaves hanging form the ceiling are both in better shape and more varied, giving it a newer feel. And the fur on the animatronic critters is in better shape, too. I think their soundtrack is a bit more upbeat, as well, which adds to that. But it's mostly the more vivid sets and brighter lighting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a DLR-camp person, but I was shocked, SHOCKED, when I went to WDW for the first time in spring of 2004 and found "their Splash" was better than "our Splash." The two-seater logs are also cool.

All said, they are both great. But I have to go with the MK version as being superior, despite my overall preference for DL over MK. [And let's not get into that debate again. I just wanted to make it clear that I was not biased toward WDW.]

mariogarza
10-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Well...it's not me, it's darker... :)

Are there more animatronics? I've always remembered seeing more AA at WDW....as well as less drops than DL's version....also, not sure about the mama bunny singing at the start if the final lift....

Vegitabeta
10-13-2005, 03:15 AM
After riding the WDW one I wasn't expecting too many drops. But then I went to DL! I was drenched before I even got near the big drop!

spectromen
10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
There are also more characters in WDW's version, not major ones but little incidentals like birds and frogs. Also more music loops than DL's.
The good news is that DL's has recently added brighter lighting to at least the first half of scenes, which helped tremendously with visuals.
Also, WDW's flume moves slower, allowing one to view the scenes at a much better pace.

nickbrown2k2
10-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Haven't ridden the WDW one in person, but I saw a video of it online...but the singing was all high-pitch! I wonder if that was just the audio or if it truly is that way. If so, I like DLR's wayyy better!

mariogarza
10-13-2005, 07:58 PM
The good news is that DL's has recently added brighter lighting to at least the first half of scenes, which helped tremendously with visuals.

Really?!?! when was that???
I guess that after riding the WDW (which is better IMHO) the light did affect my perception, the first time I even thought that it was a maintenance issue...

millionairegirl
10-14-2005, 06:32 AM
I definitely got soaked on MK's Splash Mountain, but have never gotten that wet on DL's.

The one animatronic of Brer Rabbit hopping is really cool, but I still think I prefer Disneyland's. MK-Splash's logs are so high, it's like you are riding ON the water, not IN the water. It's made a difference for me.

spectromen
10-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Really?!?! when was that???

I first noticed it about 3 weeks ago when riding. The owl at the end was moving and talking again and looked like he had new fur as well, so I'm assuming they did a semi rehab while keeping the ride in operation. If you look up at the ceiling, you'll see that one spotlight for each figure seems to have had it's colored gel removed which would explain the brightness increase. I just hope they do the rest of the ride the same way.

mkcbunny
10-14-2005, 07:56 AM
There are also more characters in WDW's version, not major ones but little incidentals like birds and frogs. Also more music loops than DL's.
Also, WDW's flume moves slower, allowing one to view the scenes at a much better pace.
The characters and song choices are definitely different, although some are the same. Seems like there are more dimensional background paintings, as well, not just more colorful ones.

G-Ville Knee-Kill
10-14-2005, 11:11 AM
To me, MK had more of a Southern feel, or not really that but just different. Like the Vultures in the end are dressed up as undertakers and I can't remember the other differences but there was that, and the laughing place seemed like no big deal in Florida as it does in Disneyland's splash.

Daveylegs
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
This sounds silly but I actually like the smell of the WDW one more. The DL version has a strong smell - not horrible, but not pleasing either. It smells kind of "industrial" for lack of a better word.

I do like the bunny hopping at WDW as well. But all in all, at both resorts it's my favorite ride. The differences are minor (not like the differences between POTC or SM). In this case it's a photo finish - with WDW ahead by a rabbit's nose.